PDA

View Full Version : **OFFICIAL** AT Battlefield 3 FAQ and News Thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48

M0oG0oGaiPan
07-30-2011, 09:20 PM
One thing I don't get is why does everyone have a tag on their head on your team? Didn't you have to know the different skins in BF2?

Also, I haven't seen any HC servers yet. Is this not available yet?

Stuxnet
07-30-2011, 09:35 PM
I'm having a really hard time caring about MW3. Details on the game's MP are scant to say the least, which is a bit concerning. Maybe they're behind on development, maybe there's nothing to report since it's just an MW2 rehash.

The article makes a few good points, but whoever wrote is a moron. Statements like "anyone can jump into xxx and do well.". That's a mathematically ignorant type of statement to make; after all, half the players in a match will do well, half will not. That's a general statement for sure, but you get the point.

Personally, I do think BF3 can out sell CODwhatever, because people are clamoring for something new. BC2 was new, but the execution on consoles was a disaster... This season is DICE's to lose.

novasatori
07-31-2011, 02:38 AM
One thing I don't get is why does everyone have a tag on their head on your team? Didn't you have to know the different skins in BF2?

Also, I haven't seen any HC servers yet. Is this not available yet?

No HC yet there is an option on the server browser though, so no doubt it will be in final game.

GoodRevrnd
07-31-2011, 04:25 AM
If you throw in something like Q3A in the mix you'll realize most of the people that play the 2 above games have terrible twitch aim and no concept of running a map. They're just not meant to be hardcore gamers imho. They're just gamers that can only specialize in one game.

Egh... this is probably mostly true but you can make a similar disparaging statement about a lot of the players I've been watching in BF3 so far where it's painfully obvious they have no grasp of a more tactically oriented FPS. You'd think concepts like group rushing an MCOM as a squad or something so simple as reviving the guy that just went down right next to you when you're under no real fire pressure would be easy to grasp, but apparently not. I can hop out of the LAV at the B point and lay out 3 people on my way to plant the charge but some idiot LAV driver will be driving around like an asshole trying to rack up kills instead of focusing on covering my plant and covering the charge from defuse. It's just mind boggling. But the opportunity for this type of play is why I like BF3. I can use my battlefield intelligence to significantly boost my mediocre twitch abilities to completely dominate all the retards who seem to think Rush and Conquest are squad death match.

Which brings us to COD. COD sits in some awful middle ground where twitch gets you so far and tactics amounts to other people on your team being little more than damage soaks while you run around like an asshole picking people off. It really is like a gimpy Quake/UT with no map control component and you have a bunch of bots (players) to act as bait for you.

M0oG0oGaiPan
07-31-2011, 05:37 AM
ugh i hate people that don't know how to use the lav for the first 2 mcoms. seriously no one either gets in or some fool just camps with it. Seriously if you use the lav you can rush plant a. Although a lot of people go engy for the initial rush now. Plant and then hop out and cover or stay in lav and cover. B is a little trickier but you still should be using the lav to set up a plant. You can flank on the right side towards the water and use the missile launches for cover but it's easier to cover when you have a competent lav.

almost as bad are the teammates that are on the attacking side who go prone behind a tree and get tunnel vision so they can't even cover you while you go for the plant

edit: one thing I've noticed though is the lav gets stuck and flips over way too easily. If you run on the rails in the first stage of metro the lav will flip over instead of breaking the rails.

Stuxnet
07-31-2011, 07:50 AM
Which brings us to COD. COD sits in some awful middle ground where twitch gets you so far and tactics amounts to other people on your team being little more than damage soaks while you run around like an asshole picking people off. It really is like a gimpy Quake/UT with no map control component and you have a bunch of bots (players) to act as bait for you.

This.

COD4 actually allowed for excellent map control due to the spawn system, but then everyone cried about being dominated so they overhauled it. MW3 and BO are 99% twitch. One exception I will make is BO's CTF and Headquarters modes... if you don't have any strategy or teamwork, you be dead.

Ben90
07-31-2011, 08:19 AM
well now its obvious you guys aren't the greatest of players
Honestly, I disable VOIP on every game I play. I don't want to start a pissing contest with you on who is better, but the best of the best use third party VOIP. In the battlefield series at least, its not even about who is the best player. Its all about teamplay.

I'm just sad the medic class is now called assault. Now a lot more randoms will harness the stupidly overpowered ability to revive. Good 4 man medic groups can just completely dominate an area. Not being able to take down tanks doesn't really matter. My friends and I actively lure enemy tanks to waste their time while killing any infantry around. Less bads getting killed by tanks on my team means saving tickets.

maniacalpha1-1
07-31-2011, 08:25 AM
Honestly, I disable VOIP on every game I play. I don't want to start a pissing contest with you on who is better, but the best of the best use third party VOIP. In the battlefield series at least, its not even about who is the best player. Its all about teamplay.

I'm just sad the medic class is now called assault. Now a lot more randoms will harness the stupidly overpowered ability to revive. Good 4 man medic groups can just completely dominate an area. Not being able to take down tanks doesn't really matter. My friends and I actively lure enemy tanks to waste their time while killing any infantry around. Less bads getting killed by tanks on my team means saving tickets.

I would ask how you coordinate 3rd party comms for a public server but I won't, I'll simply ask, even if all 64 players are in teamspeak or whatever, how do you organize it from there? Surely not into 1 32 person channel per team, and not into squads either(or in-game VOIP would be enough for that).

Also, for revives...haven't you heard that there's going to be revive reform? Actually...we heard about revive reform over a month ago. Have any of you in the alpha noticed any big changes or are medic trains back in full force?

uclaLabrat
07-31-2011, 01:17 PM
The previously mentioned fixes have made the game playable for me, but mostly only at 1280 x 800, although I can get it to run at native res it's a slide show.

That said, this is absolutely a home run. It's fucking amazing. Everything they said they wanted to achieve with "easy to learn, difficult to master" I think they pulled off. It's easy to run around and spray and pray, but it's hard to get really good at it unless you work together.

It's so amazing.

rgallant
07-31-2011, 01:31 PM
[one thing I've noticed though is the lav gets stuck and flips over way too easily]

one time out in the deep water my lav after a hit started to go end over end until it blew up after I got out.

-but there is no way that a lav should be able to get to a mi-com .you got 16 people running to the attackers base and no one to protect them with rpg's ,defending is the sole purpose of that match for that team. I always spawn with rpg's in that base but most players can't be bothered to change their type and I end up taking the hits going after the lav by myself ,no one even drops ammo for you either, while the other players spawn and run away lol.
lav is coming ,lav is coming run run hide. at least they could unload their 2 nads at it then run.

maniacalpha1-1
07-31-2011, 01:41 PM
Are grenades equippable, and is the equippable knife easy to use? My current mouse is only 3 buttons and it's a pain to use with BC2, wondering if I should get a 5 or more button mouse.

Carmen813
07-31-2011, 01:43 PM
Are grenades equippable, and is the equippable knife easy to use? My current mouse is only 3 buttons and it's a pain to use with BC2, wondering if I should get a 5 or more button mouse.

Yes and yes. There is a quick knife button you can use which will swing the knife and go back to your gun (it still takes time for it to happen, but its all automated).

maniacalpha1-1
07-31-2011, 01:59 PM
Yes and yes. There is a quick knife button you can use which will swing the knife and go back to your gun (it still takes time for it to happen, but its all automated).

hmmmm....I might be able to just keep using my current mouse then. But one more thing - how fast is the default turret turn speed on the LAV 25? Is it fast like BF2 or slow like BC2? My mouse is also not high DPI and isn't adjustable, so that's the only other issue.

GoodRevrnd
07-31-2011, 02:40 PM
A fair bit faster than BC2 but not sure I would call it "fast." Since all the keybindings and stuff are locked in the alpha I have to use my mouse on its lowest DPI setting, but I still turn it back up to medium when I'm in the LAV. I'd still get a more button mouse. Variable DPI is always useful and it's nice having quick knife, quick grenade and voice comms on the mouse.

maniacalpha1-1
07-31-2011, 02:49 PM
A fair bit faster than BC2 but not sure I would call it "fast." Since all the keybindings and stuff are locked in the alpha I have to use my mouse on its lowest DPI setting, but I still turn it back up to medium when I'm in the LAV. I'd still get a more button mouse. Variable DPI is always useful and it's nice having quick knife, quick grenade and voice comms on the mouse.

Damn, guess I have to do that, then.

$40-70 for a good variable DPI mouse goes a long way during a Steam Christmas sale :(

smackababy
07-31-2011, 02:57 PM
Played the alpha at my friends house yesterday, made me go reinstall BC2 and I've been playing that a bunch. So far, I hate the launcher for BF3, but that may change. It feels good, however, could use some more work. Won't judge it too much on the alpha.

M0oG0oGaiPan
07-31-2011, 04:29 PM
The zoom out bug is annoying as hell. It's when you zoom in with the iron sights and it will zoom to normal but then you can't zoom again until you switch guns. BC2 has a zoom out bug too and that's annoying also.

Also, I played one match and for some reason I couldn't spawn for the last couple of minutes. I was stuck in the death cam.

Jschmuck2
07-31-2011, 06:33 PM
Where uh, does one apply for an alpha invite?

Carmen813
07-31-2011, 07:41 PM
hmmmm....I might be able to just keep using my current mouse then. But one more thing - how fast is the default turret turn speed on the LAV 25? Is it fast like BF2 or slow like BC2? My mouse is also not high DPI and isn't adjustable, so that's the only other issue.

It feels faster then BC2 to me. Keep your eye out for a Logitech G500, you can snag them for $30 pretty regularly.

Termie
07-31-2011, 07:57 PM
Where uh, does one apply for an alpha invite?

Long time no see/hear, Jschmuck2!

I think the alpha invites are by "invite only"...although at this point I'm practically the only one here who hasn't been invited!

Jschmuck2
07-31-2011, 08:17 PM
Long time no see/hear, Jschmuck2!

I think the alpha invites are by "invite only"...although at this point I'm practically the only one here who hasn't been invited!

Hiya! I couldn't deal with the BC2 wonkiness but I'll be back in force for BF3, server in tow :D

Well, if anyone is familiar with an invite-r, I'd love to be an invite-ee :)

Termie
07-31-2011, 08:24 PM
Hiya! I couldn't deal with the BC2 wonkiness but I'll be back in force for BF3, server in tow :D

Sweet!

BTW, one day earlier this year I once came across the original (I presume) "Jschmuck" playing BC2. I tried to engage him in some mano-a-mano gun slinging, but he didn't seem to know what all the excitement was about. I thought you'd lost your sense of humor...but I realized after the fact that it wasn't you at all!

DeadFred
07-31-2011, 09:40 PM
Got my alpha invite last Friday. Wish I had gotten it sooner. I would have liked to have had time to unlock more stuff. It all ends tomorrow, right?

Ben90
08-01-2011, 01:59 AM
I would ask how you coordinate 3rd party comms for a public server but I won't, I'll simply ask, even if all 64 players are in teamspeak or whatever, how do you organize it from there? Surely not into 1 32 person channel per team, and not into squads either(or in-game VOIP would be enough for that).

Also, for revives...haven't you heard that there's going to be revive reform? Actually...we heard about revive reform over a month ago. Have any of you in the alpha noticed any big changes or are medic trains back in full force?
Lots of Autohotkey and ingenuity. It was setup so technically anyone could talk to anyone by the use of the numpad, but that was rarely used in game except by the commander. If you wanted to talk the fourth person in squad 1, you would first hit one then hold down 4 for the duration of your speech. Zero clears in case you messed something up or don't know if u hit a key. Each squad was segregated into their own channels to talk like normal. Then everyone had a quick button to talk to all squad leaders and the commander. This was generally used by the squad leaders to talk to other leaders or the commander.

GullyFoyle
08-01-2011, 07:43 AM
twitter.com/zh1nt0 (http://twitter.com/zh1nt0/status/97985638133018624): "the alpha trial is now over :) thanks a lot for participating everyone!"

maniacalpha1-1
08-01-2011, 07:52 AM
Lots of Autohotkey and ingenuity. It was setup so technically anyone could talk to anyone by the use of the numpad, but that was rarely used in game except by the commander. If you wanted to talk the fourth person in squad 1, you would first hit one then hold down 4 for the duration of your speech. Zero clears in case you messed something up or don't know if u hit a key. Each squad was segregated into their own channels to talk like normal. Then everyone had a quick button to talk to all squad leaders and the commander. This was generally used by the squad leaders to talk to other leaders or the commander.

That's actually pretty smart. Only problem is, you need to be able to know who you're looking at. Minimap needs to show the squad leader number if a SL is near you, and you need to be able to see a non-squad teammate's nametag if you zoom in on him. Don't know about BF3 alpha but BC2 was...at least somewhat inhospitable in those regards.

maniacalpha1-1
08-01-2011, 10:17 AM
Are there any FPS games or MMOs out there that have clan/guild support that allows you to create an actual clan/guild webpage including forums, either free, or as part of your MMO subscription? Just wondering about the possibilities for Battlelog.

GullyFoyle
08-01-2011, 10:47 AM
Battlefield 3 - Mythbusters Ep 1 (HD) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3ff_UORhuc)
Battlefield 3 - Mythbusters Ep 2 (HD) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wrZtHZRC1FY)

The animations are awesome, they better deliver BattleRecorder... Battlefield 3 - Animations & C4 Destruction (HD) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IvsctsjmkBc)

maniacalpha1-1
08-01-2011, 11:00 AM
Battlefield 3 - Mythbusters Ep 1 (HD) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3ff_UORhuc)
Battlefield 3 - Mythbusters Ep 2 (HD) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wrZtHZRC1FY)

The animations are awesome, they better deliver BattleRecorder... Battlefield 3 - Animations & C4 Destruction (HD) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IvsctsjmkBc)

Mythbusters was cool but would have been nice if, after the myth about blowing the shit out of buildings, they had waited til the smoke cleared so you could see what was left....

GullyFoyle
08-01-2011, 11:00 AM
Here's one for Maniac...

Battlefield 3 - Official 3D Spotting Trailer (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7e_cLfMjsQk)

maniacalpha1-1
08-01-2011, 11:03 AM
Here's one for Maniac...

Battlefield 3 - Official 3D Spotting Trailer (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7e_cLfMjsQk)

Oh, I've seen that one. I heard that in later alpha builds they made an ATTEMPT to have the triangle disappear when target goes behind cover.

Only thing is, what if the target isn't behind cover, but you are, as in the case of the grass in that video? If that survives to full release, should we call that kind of sniper a...grass-snake? Since they aren't wookiees anymore?

M0oG0oGaiPan
08-01-2011, 11:25 AM
When will we see the first anti-wall hack. The hack where you can't be 3d spotted lol.

Miklebud
08-01-2011, 12:29 PM
Did anyone else have a recurring problem with not being able to spawn on your squad mates? I think I could count on two hands the amount of matches where I actually could see my squad mates name in the respawn window. The rest of the time, I only had the default spawn option. Made me pretty mad that I had to run the full length of the map EVERY frigging time.

GullyFoyle
08-01-2011, 12:40 PM
BF3 alpha "benchmarks" with many different GPU's:

Russian (http://gamegpu.ru/Action-/-FPS-/-TPS/Battlefield-3-Alpha-test-GPU.html) or Google Translated to English (http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=ru&u=http://gamegpu.ru/Action-/-FPS-/-TPS/Battlefield-3-Alpha-test-GPU.html&ei=lOM2Tv6QA8e20AHJpOXyCw&sa=X&oi=translate&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CBgQ7gEwAA&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dhttp://gamegpu.ru/Action-/-FPS-/-TPS/Battlefield-3-Alpha-test-GPU.html%26hl%3Den%26rls%3Dcom.microsoft:en-us%26prmd%3Divns)

smackababy
08-01-2011, 12:58 PM
Did anyone else have a recurring problem with not being able to spawn on your squad mates? I think I could count on two hands the amount of matches where I actually could see my squad mates name in the respawn window. The rest of the time, I only had the default spawn option. Made me pretty mad that I had to run the full length of the map EVERY frigging time.

Might only be able to respawn on the leader.

GullyFoyle
08-01-2011, 01:01 PM

I never once saw the option to spawn on a squad member.

M0oG0oGaiPan
08-01-2011, 01:39 PM
I never once saw the option to spawn on a squad member.

Spawning on squad was never an option for me in the alpha.

ahenkel
08-01-2011, 02:09 PM
It let me spawn on a squad mate twice the whole time I was playing it.

Tripwir3
08-01-2011, 02:11 PM
You had to select the squad (or select to leave it) in one of the screens. By default spawning was at base iirc. If they were all dead then you went back.

Termie
08-01-2011, 02:45 PM
BF3 alpha "benchmarks" with many different GPU's:

Russian (http://gamegpu.ru/Action-/-FPS-/-TPS/Battlefield-3-Alpha-test-GPU.html) or Google Translated to English (http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=ru&u=http://gamegpu.ru/Action-/-FPS-/-TPS/Battlefield-3-Alpha-test-GPU.html&ei=lOM2Tv6QA8e20AHJpOXyCw&sa=X&oi=translate&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CBgQ7gEwAA&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dhttp://gamegpu.ru/Action-/-FPS-/-TPS/Battlefield-3-Alpha-test-GPU.html%26hl%3Den%26rls%3Dcom.microsoft:en-us%26prmd%3Divns)

Interesting stuff. Obviously, the alpha doesn't represent actual performance, but I bet the general ranking of cards will stay close to the same. The big winner I see here is the 5870, which beats the 6950 handily and comes close to the GTX480. I know the 6950 is generally faster than a 5870, but that hasn't been true in Battlefield games. I wonder how AMD's new 7000 generation will do compared to the 5000-series. I hope it's a true upgrade from 5000/6000 level performance.

Oh, and dual-cores...they're going to need to sit this one out.

Miklebud
08-01-2011, 02:45 PM
I was consistently in 4-man squads (I'd leave my current squad and join another) and rarely had the option to spawn on them. I could see their green triangles moving on the mini-map on the respawn menu, meaning they were alive. But very few times, I actually could choose between the surviving squadmates. Very frustrating when it didn't work, but quite handy when it did!

I also had some problems with Invisible Walls. I'd just get hung up on NOTHING. I'd be running straight through a field, just to start running in place. When I looked down there was nothing that was obstructing me. I had to randomly to the sides to get past.

But, I understand it's an "Alpha" so there are some quirks needing to be ironed out.

maniacalpha1-1
08-01-2011, 02:52 PM
Interesting stuff. Obviously, the alpha doesn't represent actual performance, but I bet the general ranking of cards will stay close to the same. The big winner I see here is the 5870, which beats the 6950 handily and comes close to the GTX480. I know the 6950 is generally faster than a 5870, but that hasn't been true in Battlefield games. I wonder how AMD's new 7000 generation will do compared to the 5000-series. I hope it's a true upgrade from 5000/6000 level performance.

Oh, and dual-cores...they're going to need to sit this one out.

As I recall, there was a russian language report of BC2 framerates from the BC2 alpha. Probably the same people. It would be interesting to see how the alpha results stack up against post-release(and presumably, post optimization) results.

Termie
08-01-2011, 02:55 PM
As I recall, there was a russian language report of BC2 framerates from the BC2 alpha. Probably the same people. It would be interesting to see how the alpha results stack up against post-release(and presumably, post optimization) results.

Indeed, in part because not all options are enabled on the alpha (or so I've heard from everyone on this forum except for Maniac, since I think we're the only ones who weren't in the alpha). Anyway, the performance on the >$200 cards looks to be very good, which is fair given that it's a brand-new AAA title.

M0oG0oGaiPan
08-01-2011, 03:01 PM
I was consistently in 4-man squads (I'd leave my current squad and join another) and rarely had the option to spawn on them. I could see their green triangles moving on the mini-map on the respawn menu, meaning they were alive. But very few times, I actually could choose between the surviving squadmates. Very frustrating when it didn't work, but quite handy when it did!

I also had some problems with Invisible Walls. I'd just get hung up on NOTHING. I'd be running straight through a field, just to start running in place. When I looked down there was nothing that was obstructing me. I had to randomly to the sides to get past.

But, I understand it's an "Alpha" so there are some quirks needing to be ironed out.

Oh god I hated those invisible walls. At first I thought it was some of those tiny 6 inch high walls they had hidden behind the grass.

Exterous
08-01-2011, 03:59 PM
Sweet!

BTW, one day earlier this year I once came across the original (I presume) "Jschmuck" playing BC2. I tried to engage him in some mano-a-mano gun slinging, but he didn't seem to know what all the excitement was about. I thought you'd lost your sense of humor...but I realized after the fact that it wasn't you at all!

Heh - I had done that before as well. I wonder if he gets tired of people acting like they know him :P

I am really looking forward to this one...

GullyFoyle
08-01-2011, 04:25 PM
New Battlefield Blog Post: Former SAS operator Andy McNab expands the Battlefield 3 storyline in original novel (http://blogs.battlefield.ea.com/battlefield_bad_company/archive/2011/08/01/former-sas-operator-andy-mcnab-expands-the-bf3-storyline-in-battlefield-3-the-russian.aspx)

BY: HBrun POSTED : Aug 01, 2011, 12:00AM

http://blogs.battlefield.ea.com/resized-image.ashx/__size/350x0/__key/CommunityServer.Blogs.Components.WeblogFiles/battlefield_5F00_bad_5F00_company/Andy-McNab-_2800_c_2900_-Johnny-Ring.jpg
This is he. The author -- not the Russian, that is. Photo (C) Johnny Ring

We are very happy to announce the upcoming novel Battlefield 3: The Russian. Set to coincide with the Battlefield 3 launch on October 25, this novel is written by former SAS operator and Battlefield 3 consultant Andy McNab (co-authored with Peter Grimsdale).

In the game, the single-player storyline is revealed through a series of flashbacks as Marine Staff Sergeant Henry Blackburn races to prevent an attack on New York City by a deadly force known as the PLR. As Blackburn recalls key events leading up to the attack, players take control of several characters in heart-pounding missions across land, sea and air.

One of these characters is Dmitri “Dima” Mayakovsky, a legendary and pragmatic GRU operator in the twilight of his Special Forces career. Known as a “cleaner”, Dima is the sort of person that does whatever it takes to get the job done. The book picks up where the game leaves off, allowing McNab and Grimsdale to give a thrilling new perspective into Dima’s own personal quest as well as the events of Battlefield 3.

“It is impossible for any single medium to fully capture the emotion and intensity of war. The Battlefield 3: The Russian novel is one window into the experience, and the game is another. They complement each other perfectly,” said Andy McNab. “Working with DICE has been a fantastic ride. Battlefield 3 is going to surprise people this autumn. The story, the characters, the world and the intense action come together to create a resonant, memorable experience.”

McNab is also working with the team at DICE to ensure the authenticity and grittiness of today’s warfare is experienced in the single player, co-op and multiplayer campaigns. Below, you can see him in action as he directs our motion capture actors to move and behave like bona fide soldiers in Battlefield 3.

http://blogs.battlefield.ea.com/resized-image.ashx/__size/550x0/__key/CommunityServer.Blogs.Components.WeblogFiles/battlefield_5F00_bad_5F00_company/Andy-McNab.jpg
Andy McNab in action consulting on the acting in Battlefield 3.

In 1984 McNab was 'badged' as a member of 22 SAS Regiment and was involved in both covert and overt special operations worldwide. During the Gulf War he commanded Bravo Two Zero, a patrol that, in the words of his commanding officer, 'will remain in regimental history for ever'. Awarded both the Distinguished Conduct Medal (DCM) and Military Medal (MM) during his military career, McNab was the British Army's most highly decorated serving soldier when he finally left the SAS in February 1993. He wrote about his experiences in the bestseller Bravo Two Zero

EuroGamer.net - Andy McNab and Battlefield 3 - Interview (http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-08-01-andy-mcnab-and-battlefield-3-interview)

by Robert Purchese 1/08/2011 @ 14:25

Battlefield earned its stripes as a multiplayer game. Fast forward 11 years and Battlefield, now promoted as the contender to the colossal Call of Duty, will have to exhibit similar skill at telling a story. Who better to hire as help, thought Battlefield 3 developer DICE, than best-selling author and former SAS member Andy McNab.

McNab, a pseudonym, shot to fame for writing Bravo Two Zero, his account of a failed Gulf War SAS patrol. He's written more books based on his own experiences since, as well as fiction and an autobiography. McNab also spent time in Hollywood advising on the use of weapons and military manoeuvres, and worked with Michael Mann and the actors on Heat. Now, his silhouetted self has turned to games.

Andy McNab is co-writing a book called Battlefield 3: The Russian to accompany the game. The book fleshes out game character Dmitri "Dima" Mayakovsky. But McNab's influence on Battlefield 3 doesn't end there; he's been working with DICE for just under a year, ensuring that the story works, the game looks believable, and that the actors behave like real soldiers.

Eurogamer talked to Andy McNab.

Eurogamer: What are you doing on Battlefield 3?

Andy McNab: Working on the game on a number of different levels. I was asked to look at the script, and I was looking at motivations and justifications for things to happen. It was more question and answer than a creative process on that.

"There's a nine year-old today, and when he comes back from whatever he's doing he can turn the telly on and he can watch rape and murder at half-past six at night."
And then sitting down with the teams doing different aspects of different levels and looking at the aesthetics, trying to get it looking right. You can look at a catalogue of tanks online, but actually what we forget is that for the tank crews that's their home, they live in it, so they personalise it. It's trying to give it that feel of being right.

Then looking at the tactics, what people are doing on the ground and the reasons why they're doing it, and transferring it into the motion capture studio. Actors want to know why they're doing something in a certain way and why they're saying things. Soldiers' dialogue is always progressive and positive, there's no "what we're trying to do". It's "what we'll do is..." - it's all that positive stuff. Trying to talk about that and why that happens, so when the actors do their two or three lines of dialogue they've got that background to it, as well as holding the weapons in a realistic way so it looks like they've been using them for years.

Eurogamer: Did you change anything in Battlefield 3?

Andy McNab: Certainly, on the tank attack aspects. I've already talked about tank crews, how they live and how everybody's trying to plumb in their iPhones and all that stuff. But when they're going through the compound, the big desert fortification where they build up the sand to make it like a fort complex, it's an exact replica of one that is on the Iraq-Iranian border.

You get these big, battalion-sized fortifications. It looks like some medieval embankment. So we're sitting down looking at all the bits and pieces coming out about the major tank attack and looking at the fortifications, and I remembered that about four years ago I was flying along the border with the MOD, because I do these trips for the Ministry of Defence, you know, the Brits. And we flew over these [fortifications] that we used for 10 years in the war between Iraq and Iran. And as you do I just took some [pictures]. I thought ah, you know what, I've got some pictures. When I got back to the UK I'm trolling through the lap top trying to find it and I sent the pictures back [to DICE].

So what happened is you've got an exact replica of one of the fortifications that's on the Iraq-Iranian border. I wasn't quite sure if it was going to be used, but the next time I come [to DICE] it's there, in the game. That was really good.

Eurogamer: What shape was Battlefield 3 in when you first saw it?

Andy McNab: These guys know what they're doing, they've been doing it for years in different games. But what they want to do is get it right. The meat was already there. And the beauty of it is, unlike film - where you have a point where the creativity has got to stop because you've got to film - you can still be creative and change and adapt, and everybody wants to as well. So the process was good.

Eurogamer: Did you do any motion-capture?

Andy McNab: No, I didn't get the kit on. When you got the actors there and the stunt guys there you do the walk-through talk-through with them. On part of the promotion packs there's some film of me on the motion capture, on the floor in the studio doing bits and pieces with the actors.

I'd look ridiculous with one of those suits on anyway.

Eurogamer: Has working on Battlefield 3 brought back memories?

Andy McNab: When they're in Iran and in the game it looks and feels very much like the Gulf [War]. You know, about a million-and-a-half people got killed in that war. And actually a lot of the urban stuff in Tehran takes me back to infantry days, running around the streets of Northern Ireland. The tactics, the way that you operate in an urban environment, is obviously different to a rural environment. That was quite good, because I was trying to give practical examples of why guys on the ground would do a certain thing, so the guys had some kind of context for it.

Eurogamer: In real-life, war isn't pretty, but a game can't go that far. How much more gruesome could Battlefield 3 be?

Andy McNab: I don't think it's about that. What we're trying to do is to entertain - it's a vehicle of entertainment. We're not trying to say, with any ideology, that this is what war is really like. What we're trying to do is give people entertainment that actually feels right, because when you're playing a game or watching a film, it's really easy for your unconscious mind to go "that's wrong; I don't know what it is, but it's wrong". All the effort is really about making this feel right. But it's entertainment. It's not a documentary.

Eurogamer: Games today resemble real-life - are video game makers behaving responsibly enough with what they portray?

Andy McNab: I think they are responsible. If you look at it as part of what people are exposed to: there's a nine year-old today, and when he comes back from whatever he's doing he can turn the telly on and he can watch rape and murder at half-past six at night. Or he can turn on 24-hour TV and watch famine in Somalia and kids literally dying in front of his eyes. People are more exposed now to trauma of all types than they've ever been before.

Eurogamer: Do you play Call of Duty?

Andy McNab: Yeah, yeah I play them all. And I lose at them, from Wii Bowling upwards. I've got a couple of godsons and they range between nine and just turned 14, and I'm really bad - I get annihilated by them all the time.

Eurogamer: Is this a one-off or will you work with Battlefield again on four, five, six?

Andy McNab: Well I hope so yeah! All depends how this game goes, ha ha. So far so good. I like the process very much, because you've got that flexibility and everybody's involved in that process. It's good fun and I enjoy it.

Eurogamer: Is this your first game project?

Andy McNab: No. Like all these things, whether it's books or the media in general, there's always offers that come in. But nine out of ten times, quite frankly, they're sh*t. Once something comes up and it's something I would like to do has it got its own credibility - could it stand alone anyway? It doesn't become enjoyable if you're just called on board because they think you're going to elevate it. Well this has got its own elevation anyway, so you're joining something that is already a winner, which is a great thing to do.

[B]Eurogamer: How much are EA paying you?

Andy McNab: Well my answer to that is: not enough! Ha ha. Unfortunately there's no one here from the EA office listening! No, it's all good, and you get loads of time spent in Stockholm. It's fantastic.

[I]Battlefield 3 is due to be released 25/10/2011 on PC, PlayStation 3, and Xbox 360.

Jschmuck2
08-01-2011, 05:27 PM
Sweet!

Ha! Weird! When I started using this handle all of those years ago I just put a 2 on the end because at the time, I felt like I needed a number. Odd that someone took the numberless-version.

I assure you, my sense of humor is still very much intact, oftentimes to the detriment of friends and loved ones.

CrystalBay
08-01-2011, 06:47 PM
Yeah, I've played him also recently , don't worry J he can't compete..;)

smackababy
08-01-2011, 08:14 PM
Wow 100 hours in BC2 and I just ran into my first hacker... Sure hope I get the same BF3 experience. That is why I love good servers.

GullyFoyle
08-01-2011, 09:30 PM
Planet Battlefield - US Retailers Announce Battlefield 3 Pre-Order Bonus Items (http://planetbattlefield.gamespy.com/fullstory.php?id=165232)

Monday, 1 August, 2011 at 17:41 PST | ^Scott^

Today retailers have started to reveal their pre-order incentives for Battlefield 3. Amazon, GameStop, Best Buy and of course EA's Origin all have special offers. All pre-orders come with the Back to Karkand expansion pack.

Australian retailer, JB HI-FI (http://detonator.dynamitedata.com/cgi-bin/redirect.pl?user=u00000687&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.jbhifionline.com.au%2Fgame%2F pc-games%2Fbattlefield-3-limited-edition-jb-exclusive-bonus%2F633502) is offering up real Battlefield 3 dog tags and a Battlefield 3 cap for people who pre-order through them.

http://pnmedia.gamespy.com/planetbattlefield.gamespy.com/images/news3/bf3_preorder_origin.png (http://store.origin.com/store/ea/html/pbPage.battlefield3_US_LE)
Origin:
- Exclusive early open beta access (September 2011)
- Ability to pre-load the full game before release
- Physical Warefare Pack (DAO-12 Shotgun, Flash Suppressor, Type 88 LMG, Flachette Ammo)
- Back to Karkand Expansion Pack
- Battlefield Play4Free Items (870 Combat Shotgun, Beret)

http://pnmedia.gamespy.com/planetbattlefield.gamespy.com/images/news3/bf3_preorder_gs.png (http://detonator.dynamitedata.com/cgi-bin/redirect.pl?user=u00000687&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.gamestop.com%2Fcollection%2Fb attlefield-3)
Gamestop:
- Physical Warefare Pack (DAO-12 Shotgun, Flash Suppressor, Type 88 LMG, Flachette Ammo)
- Popup Rewards Members get a digital copy of the Prima strategy guide for BF3: Back to Karkand expansion pack

http://pnmedia.gamespy.com/planetbattlefield.gamespy.com/images/news3/BF3_DogTag_Exclusive.png (http://detonator.dynamitedata.com/cgi-bin/redirect.pl?user=u00000687&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.amazon.com%2Fs%3Fie%3DUTF8%26 keywords%3DBattlefield%25203)
Amazon:
- Dog Tag Pack - A set of 5 unique in-game dog tags to choose from. Dog tags in Battlefield 3 serve as your in-game signature, displayed on screen every time you defeat an enemy. You can also claim the dog tag of your enemies via skillful stealth knife takedowns. This pre-order exclusive pack gives you 5 unique dog tag designs to complement the standard range in the game.

http://pnmedia.gamespy.com/planetbattlefield.gamespy.com/images/news3/bf3_preorder_bb.png (http://detonator.dynamitedata.com/cgi-bin/redirect.pl?user=u00000687&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.bestbuy.com%2Fsite%2Folspage. jsp%3F_dyncharset%3DISO-8859-1%26_dynSessConf%3D7473721529606099665%26id%3Dpcat 17071%26type%3Dpage%26st%3D%2522battlefield%2B3%25 22%26sc%3DGlobal%26cp%3D1%26nrp%3D15%26sp%3D%26qp% 3D%26list%3Dn%26iht%3Dy%26usc%3DAll%2BCategories%2 6ks%3D960)
Best Buy:
- SPECACT Kit - A set of 8 multiplayer skins, one for each class and side in Battlefield 3.

Fanatical Meat
08-01-2011, 11:15 PM
Aww crap now I have to preorder with origin or gamesrot, I'm leaning toward origin being less evil. I've never had a good expience with gamestop.

GoodRevrnd
08-02-2011, 12:32 AM
Goddammit they would make the Origin preorder the most attractive. >:| Really wanted to grab this from Amazon. After playing I think the flash suppressor would actually be pretty useful.

ImDonly1
08-02-2011, 01:13 AM
Direct2drive had the pre-order on sale for $45 before. Anyone know of anymore pre-order specials like that?

Also how much will the karkand and other upgrade stuff be if you don't preorder?

realjetavenger
08-02-2011, 07:58 AM

When the alpha first started you were able to spawn on squad mates (if you were squad leader or on the squad leader if you were not). It worked well. However, there had been intermitten issues with squad spawn throughout the alpha. And during at least the last few days, everyone in the alpha forum was complaining about not being able to squad spawn at all. There was unconfirmed speculation that the last update that was made to the alpha broke the squad spawn option. It sure seemed to be more than a coincidence though, that no one seemd to be able to squad spawn right after the last update implementation...

Stuxnet
08-02-2011, 08:02 AM
Early access to beta, even without purchasing Medal of Honor last year?

Sold.

smackababy
08-02-2011, 08:11 AM
I was holding out for a Steam release, but I guess I'll end up preordering from Origin for beta access. =(

Exterous
08-02-2011, 08:16 AM
Goddammit they would make the Origin preorder the most attractive. >:| Really wanted to grab this from Amazon. After playing I think the flash suppressor would actually be pretty useful.

Yeah - the dogtags, skins and strategy guide hold no real interest for me. I am very curious about the early access to beta and the physical warfare pack sounds better than the other options

novasatori
08-02-2011, 08:40 AM
idk about the bf3 specact kit, but the bc2 one gave you access to weapon reskins of some of the best weapons without unlocking them(ex: M95 SA) so that could be worth while if you want to have an advantage at the start..

Stuxnet
08-02-2011, 08:40 AM
Yeah - the dogtags, skins and strategy guide hold no real interest for me. I am very curious about the early access to beta and the physical warfare pack sounds better than the other options

Yep. I considered buying MoH just so I could get access to the beta, but in the end I couldn't bring myself to plunk down $60 for a game that I knew was going to be shit (1 dev for SP, 1 dev for MP... really?) so I could get access to another game for which there was absolutely zero evidence of existence.

Seriously, I think we're about a half step away from being told we have to buy some B-list piece of shit for the privilege of buying another AAA title.

At any rate, the Origin deal was a no-brainer for me. Beta access (EARLY access even), pre-loading, and all the expansion shit. For once, it's nice seeing Gamestop getting the shaft, so that was good, too.

Stuxnet
08-02-2011, 08:41 AM
idk about the bf3 specact kit, but the bc2 one gave you access to weapon reskins of some of the best weapons without unlocking them(ex: M95 SA) so that could be worth while if you want to have an advantage at the start..

Since when does reskinning a weapon yield an advantage? No camo arguments.

novasatori
08-02-2011, 08:44 AM
Since when does reskinning a weapon yield an advantage? No camo arguments.

an advantage in the aspect you got the M95 in BC2 without having to "grind" to unlock it, so you could have the M95 at level 1 with the recon class.

I'd say that's an advantage for day one players.

that's also why I said idk though, because I have no idea what if any weapons the BF3 SPECACT kit may include as free unlocks

Stuxnet
08-02-2011, 08:53 AM
an advantage in the aspect you got the M95 in BC2 without having to "grind" to unlock it, so you could have the M95 at level 1 with the recon class.

I'd say that's an advantage for day one players.

that's also why I said idk though, because I have no idea what if any weapons the BF3 SPECACT kit may include as free unlocks

Gotchya. I didn't realize you got the unlock with the skin. Makes sense.

Bill Brasky
08-02-2011, 10:28 AM
I wish the SPECACT kit was included with origin. Annoying..

maevinj
08-02-2011, 10:43 AM
Are we really sure that the SPECACT will give you unlocked weapons? I would seem to think you would get the different skins when you unlocked the weapon.

M0oG0oGaiPan
08-02-2011, 11:34 AM
Are we really sure that the SPECACT will give you unlocked weapons? I would seem to think you would get the different skins when you unlocked the weapon.

Dunno about bf3 but some people bought the specact kit for bc2 so they would have better guns unlocked when they started.

I think recon gets the big sniper rifle. assault gets the reskinned m16 or something. Can't remember the others.

HendrixFan
08-02-2011, 11:38 AM
Early access to beta, even without purchasing Medal of Honor last year?

Sold.

Agreed, just placed my order.

The preloading is pretty nice too, I just hope it is a "midnight" release for the preload. Either way I'll be taking Oct 25th off to enjoy it proper.

GullyFoyle
08-02-2011, 11:49 AM
I have not done this myself, but have read of many others having success.

If you want to purchase BF3 off of Origin, and you are not yet a member of the EA Gun Club (http://gunclub.ea.com/), sign up for the Gun Club and get a 25% off discount code to use when ordering games off of Origin.

This code should either be shown to you immediately, or show up in your e-mail within 24 hours. (I've heard both stories).

maniacalpha1-1
08-02-2011, 11:53 AM

If you want to purchase BF3 off of Origin, and you are not yet a member of the EA Gun Club (http://gunclub.ea.com/), sign up for the Gun Club and get a 25% off discount code to use when ordering games off of Origin.

This code should either be shown to you immediately, or show up in your e-mail within 24 hours. (I've heard both stories).

is that via the Email Signup button, or the Register button on top? I went ahead and did the email signup.

M0oG0oGaiPan
08-02-2011, 11:57 AM

I tried it a while back and still haven't gotten my code bleh.

MajorMullet
08-02-2011, 12:00 PM
I signed up for the Gun Club too. Didn't get a code immediately, so here's hoping it shows up at some point (and hoping that EA doesn't decide to kill the deal before I get it).

dyndragon
08-02-2011, 01:09 PM
The Gun Club thing definitely does send you a code, but I registered for the Gun Club back in december, and they sent a welcome email with a code that was valid for 5 days only. Note that subscribing to the newsletter is not good enough--you need to register with the Gun Club.

Anubis
08-02-2011, 01:26 PM
i know this is the wrong forum to ask in but are the preorder bonuses for the console versions going to be vendor specific as well? there really isnt a very aftive thread in the console forum for BF3

ill most likely buy it on both PC and Console, and im curious if they are going to be doing the same thing

GullyFoyle
08-02-2011, 01:35 PM
i know this is the wrong forum to ask in but are the preorder bonuses for the console versions going to be vendor specific as well? there really isnt a very aftive thread in the console forum for BF3

ill most likely buy it on both PC and Console, and im curious if they are going to be doing the same thing

It looks that way. (http://detonator.dynamitedata.com/cgi-bin/redirect.pl?user=u00000687&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.amazon.com%2FBattlefield-3-Limited-Xbox-360%2Fdp%2FB003O6G5TW%2Fref%3Dsr_1_1%3Fie%3DUTF8%2 6qid%3D1312309985%26sr%3D8-1)

Anubis
08-02-2011, 01:41 PM
oh well thats annoying

looks like ill do Origin for PC and Gamestop for the PS3 then

ImDonly1
08-02-2011, 02:02 PM
I wish the SPECACT kit was included with origin. Annoying..

The origin deal gives you more guns, I thought that was better. The physical warfare pack.

maniacalpha1-1
08-02-2011, 02:03 PM
I went to register with Gun Club and it says I already have an account. I've never registered with them, this must be based off me using Origin. I'm probably screwed for the code.

ImDonly1
08-02-2011, 02:09 PM

The deal expired 7-31-2011 I think.

I went to register with Gun Club and it says I already have an account. I've never registered with them, this must be based off me using Origin. I'm probably screwed for the code.

Use your EA account to login and then signup for the newsletter too. But I think it is too late anyway.

maniacalpha1-1
08-02-2011, 02:23 PM
The deal expired 7-31-2011 I think.

Use your EA account to login and then signup for the newsletter too. But I think it is too late anyway.

Ah, well, I'm going to have to decide between ordering from Origin and get PWP and early beta access(which I don't know that I would even use) or Gamestop for PWP and a hard copy. I do like to have a hard copy DVD, it's handy for reinstalling.

Demo24
08-02-2011, 02:28 PM
Ah, well, I'm going to have to decide between ordering from Origin and get PWP and early beta access(which I don't know that I would even use) or Gamestop for PWP and a hard copy. I do like to have a hard copy DVD, it's handy for reinstalling.

Yeah, I'm having a hard time deciding if I want to sell my soul to origin or get a hard copy for safety purposes. :hmm:

maniacalpha1-1
08-02-2011, 02:30 PM
Couple of relevant demize tweets:

Demize99 (http://twitter.com/#!/Demize99)Alan Kertz
Yes ladies and gents, the Alpha Trial is over. Thats why Battlelog is closed. Lots of feedback, working on all of it. (3D spotting cough)
http://a2.twimg.com/profile_images/1243218991/Demize99BF3_normal.jpgDemize99 (http://twitter.com/#!/Demize99)Alan Kertz
Note that I said looking into feedback. No promises but we are listening and open to change.

Cross your fingers for wallhacks to be balanced or made properly optional.

One of the best ideas I've seen, if I didn't already say it here, was that once you actually aim at a triangle, it disappears(to you, not to everyone). It would remain on minimap. This would mean that if the target is not behind opaque cover, you will be able to see him directly, no problem. If he IS behind opaque cover such as thick trees and leaves, you won't be able to spray him even though you can't really see him, but you would know where he is at that moment. Nor will he be able to do it to you.

With a balanced system like that, spots could last 10 seconds each and it would be just fine.

novasatori
08-02-2011, 02:41 PM
The origin deal gives you more guns, I thought that was better. The physical warfare pack.

Pretty sure they said PWP will unlock for everyone eventually, whereas I doubt you will get SPECACT Skins later on.

Either will probably be only $5 anyways so...

Jschmuck2
08-02-2011, 03:22 PM
Yeah, I'm having a hard time deciding if I want to sell my soul to origin or get a hard copy for safety purposes. :hmm:

Origin. Do not want.

Termie
08-02-2011, 03:39 PM
Origin. Do not want.

Agreed. You guys all realize you'll be paying a premium to get it direct from EA, which would really irk me. All that "free" stuff isn't all that free.

I have it pre-ordered from both Newegg and Amazon for $50 (will stick with whichever is cheapest/has best shipping at launch). We shouldn't have to pay more to buy it as a direct download. And I still won't pay over $50 for a PC game...call me stubborn. No licensing fees means a PC game should never be as much as an xbox/ps3 game.

While the game is currently $60 at both Newegg and Amazon, I'm sure they'll offer $50 deals again. As for Origin, I'm not so sure, but I'd consider it for $50.

Zargon
08-02-2011, 03:48 PM
I am in at amazon for 50, I ordered it Feb 9th :eek:

if it goes on sale at origin or there is a code loophole again I *might* switch.

but I am really wanting a boxed copy of it for the shelf.

I have no idea if I'll rea`lly get into the beta for buying MOH from impulse

KayGee
08-02-2011, 07:12 PM
I pre-ordered it from EA on February 4 for $49.95. At the time, they were including only the Karkand expansion pack. I'm hoping I get the other freebies.

GullyFoyle
08-02-2011, 08:42 PM
CNN - Creators strive for emotion in making 'Battlefield 3' (http://edition.cnn.com/2011/TECH/gaming.gadgets/08/02/behind.making.battlefield3/index.html)

By Larry Frum, Special to CNN
August 2, 2011 -- Updated 2113 GMT (0513 HKT) | Filed under: Gaming & Gadgets

(CNN) -- Military-style, first-person shooter video games typically emphasize tactics and group play to achieve objectives. But a high-profile game due out this fall wants to break the mold by bringing story to the forefront.

"Battlefield 3" (DICE, Electronic Arts) is the 11th game in the franchise and a sequel to the 2005 hit, "Battlefield 2." While the gameplay will feature combat across several different terrains and scenarios, developers at DICE also wanted to feature a compelling narrative to bring a new feeling to the typical military-shooter game.

Executive producer Patrick Bach admits storytelling wasn't really a big focus in past installments of the "Battlefield" series.

"You can have a great story, and if you don't have it in the right way, especially when it comes to a military shooter like 'Battlefield,' it just feels (arcade-like). It feels like a game rather than a real story about real people having this as a profession," Bach said.

"Our biggest win, and the thing that stands out most, is when people see things we've done (with the new game) so far," he added.

"It's the emotion and the grit and the physicality ... all of these small things -- everything from movement to lingo to storylines -- have to have emotion."

To boost authenticity, Bach enlisted the help of Andy McNab, a highly decorated member of the British Army who worked on covert and overt special operations around the world. McNab is also an author and a consultant to Hollywood -- he advised Michael Mann on the 1995 crime thriller "Heat" -- which allowed him to translate his battlefield experiences into something the development team could put into the game.

"Andy, coming from his career in real-world events and entertainment, was the perfect match to do this," Bach said. "We started out quite easy to see if we could get feedback (from him) on obvious stuff, but eventually that turned into feedback in most of the areas of the game."

When McNab joined the project, DICE had already been working on the game for about two years. It was his first attempt in advising on a video game, but his experiences working on feature films helped him integrate quickly with the development team.

"Working in film, there is a lot of creativity. But after a while that has to stop because within principal photography, there are other factors that restrict the amount of creativity you can have," McNab said. "But in games, it doesn't. What I found was everybody is a part of that creative process. Everybody wants to make it look good or sound good or get the story right."

McNab says he was impressed by the amount of creativity that goes into building a video game. During motion-capture work he described each scene in real-world terms so the actors could portray the proper emotions.

"There is a lot more flexibility and constant creativity, which is great," he said. "Obviously the game has got a story, which was one of the things that attracted me in the first place rather than just a shoot-em-up."

Credible dialogue was particularly important, he says. Soldiers in the game needed to have the right words and inflections to accurately reflect what solders in the real world are doing.

"Words like 'will try to,' 'maybe,' 'we will attempt' -- they don't exist," McNab said. "It's all about 'you will,' 'I will,' 'we will.' Everything is positive and all dialogue is progressive because you need that start point to make all actions work."

McNab didn't write the script for the game, but as the story developed graphically, he began adding details and elements to create a more realistic feel.

Getting the right emotions was key in putting together "Battlefield 3" and setting it apart from other military games, Bach says.

"We actually wanted to move the genre forward by creating deeper emotions, more physical presence in the world ... the most sophisticated 'Battlefield' experience (yet)," he said.

Bach said the single-player narrative will immerse players both physically and mentally in the game's characters. There is also another story for the game's multiplayer action that he thinks will get people talking with their friends.

Test players say, "This game gives me a completely new feeling when I play it, but can't really pick out why.' I think that's our biggest win."

And the story doesn't stop when the game ends.

McNab penned a new novel based on one of the characters in the game, a Special Forces operator named Dmitri "Dima" Mayakosky. Dima is a Russian who is prepared to do whatever it takes to get the job done.

"It is impossible for any single medium to fully capture the emotion and intensity of war. The 'Battlefield 3: The Russian' novel is one window into the experience, and the game is another," McNab said.

"It just evolved (while working on the game). It seemed a natural progression to do a book because there was still a story to tell. Maybe we can get someone who is playing the game to actually pick up a book."

"Battlefield 3" will be available October 25 in North America for the PlayStation 3, Xbox 360 and PC.

power_hour
08-02-2011, 11:59 PM
CNN - Creators strive for emotion in making 'Battlefield 3' (http://edition.cnn.com/2011/TECH/gaming.gadgets/08/02/behind.making.battlefield3/index.html)

Introduce MT and see how much emotion comes from the gamers...

GullyFoyle
08-03-2011, 12:17 PM
For our international viewers...

twitter.com/zh1nt0 (http://twitter.com/zh1nt0/status/98786084376416256): "Origin pre-order linked to the closed beta is world wide :)"

Also, zh1nto answered a question on the forums (http://forums.electronicarts.co.uk/showthread.php?p=19625783) earlier, assuring a user that he would get all of newly announced pre-order bonus' from Origin for his order placed some time ago. Cancelling and re-ordering is not required.

GullyFoyle
08-03-2011, 12:25 PM
With no real sources given, this looks like true Fud to me...let's hope it doesn't draw too many people out of the "I hate EA" threads in to here...:)

Fudzilla - Battlefield 3 likely to have online pass (http://www.fudzilla.com/games/item/23609-battlefield-3-likely-to-have-online-pass)

Written by David Stellmack

Still yet to be officially confirmed by EA

Rumors are still circling that DICE and Electronic Arts have opted to include an online pass code with Battlefield 3 that will be required to gain access to online play. This, as with previous EA titles using the online pass code, will require purchasers that do not have the code to purchase an access from the Xbox Marketplace or the Sony PlayStation Store to gain access to the multiplayer parts of the game.

If the online pass code is the route that DICE and EA elect to go, we suspect that this will only be for the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 versions of the game. Sources tell us that it is highly doubtful that DICE and EA would use the online pass code with the PC version of the game.

Currently, this has yet to be confirmed by either DICE or EA, but recent statements by Patrick Bach do seem to suggest that they are leaning in this direction. Expect DICE and EA to issue a public statement soon on what their intentions are with regard to the Battlefield 3 online pass strategy or lack thereof.

uclaLabrat
08-03-2011, 12:39 PM
With no real sources given, this looks like true Fud to me...let's hope it doesn't draw too many people out of the "I hate EA" threads in to here...:)

Fudzilla - Battlefield 3 likely to have online pass (http://www.fudzilla.com/games/item/23609-battlefield-3-likely-to-have-online-pass)
I think the talk on the UK forums is that this is for people who buy the game used...i.e., buy it second hand and pay $10 or something in order to go online.

Worthington
08-03-2011, 01:30 PM
wasn't the same way with BC2? If you bought it new you got the "OMG VIP" pack which basically just meant you had online access, and if you bought it used you had to fork over $9.99?

Zargon
08-03-2011, 01:52 PM
yup.

Tripwir3
08-03-2011, 02:17 PM
What about the rumors guys that if you change your PC after 1-2 years of purchasing BF3 on Origin you would not be able to reinstall?

Any truth to that?

dyndragon
08-03-2011, 04:07 PM
What about the rumors guys that if you change your PC after 1-2 years of purchasing BF3 on Origin you would not be able to reinstall?

Any truth to that?

doubtful...I installed games off of origin on multiple computers, no problem. Just don't lose your EA login that you'll need to get into battlelog.

uclaLabrat
08-03-2011, 04:27 PM

Any truth to that?
Not true...I've DL'd BF2 and expansions many times over different computers for years.

GullyFoyle
08-03-2011, 04:47 PM
I was trying to verify several tweets I saw about the early beta access being only 48 hours. They all pointed to The Origin pre-order page. I don't see where it says 48 hours anywhere, but I do see this...

Open Beta for Battlefield 3 (Origin Exclusive)

Players who pre-order the game from Origin will be granted early access to the Open Beta for Battlefield 3 when it goes live in September 2011. Early Beta access is for US PC Download customers only.

Is this new (bolded)?

drizek
08-03-2011, 05:16 PM
Not true...I've DL'd BF2 and expansions many times over different computers for years.

How do you register bf2? I haven't played it since release

GullyFoyle
08-03-2011, 09:37 PM
Planet Battlefield (http://planetbattlefield.gamespy.com/fullstory.php?id=165236) got their hands on the German Origin BF3 Pre-order page, and it supposedly says early Beta access is 48 hours: "Battlefield 3 Beta: 48 Stunden vorzeitiger zugang". Go Google translate it yourself...

==================================================

Also complements of Planet Battlefields Tweet: Italian gaming site @Videogameit visited DICE & went hands-on with Battlefield 3 on Playstation 3 - http://bit.ly/qkoW6K (translated)

Demo24
08-04-2011, 09:30 AM
Planet Battlefield (http://planetbattlefield.gamespy.com/fullstory.php?id=165236) got their hands on the German Origin BF3 Pre-order page, and it supposedly says early Beta access is 48 hours: "Battlefield 3 Beta: 48 Stunden vorzeitiger zugang". Go Google translate it yourself...

Might want to add this for it to make a bit more sense:

@zh1nt0 Does the MoH LE and BF3 Origin Pre-Order have the same early access to the beta or will MoH still get first crack?

@soiled21 Same early access

GullyFoyle
08-04-2011, 11:03 AM
Battlefieldo - Specact & first Russion soldier renders (http://battlefieldo.com/bf3-specact-renders/)

In the last few weeks there has been a lot of discussion about the Battlefield 3 Pre-Order benefits. First on a Swedish site, something about exclusive SPECACT multi player skins came up. It is to our knowledge that these renders are the SPECACT skins that come with most pre-order options. This is also the first time we’ve seen renders of the Russian units. Today we are supposed to hear more word on the pre-order benefits and the beta via the official battlefield blog. Stay tuned. Oh and big props to king0r for hunting these images.

http://battlefieldo.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/mp_character_profiles_specact_us.jpg
http://battlefieldo.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/mp_character_profiles_specact_rus.jpg

Tripwir3
08-04-2011, 11:15 AM

Thanks for the response guys. I went ahead and pre-ordered from Origin. I enjoyed the Alpha and am looking forward to the Beta testing. I wonder what map we will play then?

ViviTheMage
08-04-2011, 11:27 AM
I hope it comes out on STEAM, I really don't want origin.

M0oG0oGaiPan
08-04-2011, 12:08 PM
I tried playing BC2 last night and I sucked. I got so used to the crappy BF3 key config.

Tripwir3
08-04-2011, 01:18 PM
I hope it comes out on STEAM, I really don't want origin.

It's official...

**NO STEAM**

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6327144/battlefield-3-not-coming-to-steam?tag=updates%3Beditor%3Ball%3Btitle%3B3

Zargon
08-04-2011, 01:18 PM
Thanks for the response guys. I went ahead and pre-ordered from Origin. I enjoyed the Alpha and am looking forward to the Beta testing. I wonder what map we will play then?

since they migrated the accounts to origin I realized I have never touched a few games I bought from them on sale, over a year ago, and have never even dl'd. but they are!

GullyFoyle
08-04-2011, 03:13 PM
New Battlefield Blog Post: Detailed Battlefield 3 Pre-Order Items & FAQ on the Open Beta! (http://blogs.battlefield.ea.com/battlefield_bad_company/archive/2011/08/04/presenting-all-pre-order-offers-for-battlefield-3-limited-edition.aspx)

There are a number of pre-order offers for Battlefield 3 available. Some countries have already announced their offers, while others will follow. Check with your favorite retailer/digital download service to see what offers they have available.

By mid-August, you should be able to find all of these items where they are supposed to be available. Here is what they all are and how to get them. We have also attached a handy FAQ on the Open Beta for Battlefield 3 at the bottom of this post.

BREAKDOWN OF ALL PRE-ORDER ITEMS FOR BATTLEFIELD 3

Battlefield 3: Back to Karkand
What it is: An entire themed expansion pack the size of Battlefield: Bad Company 2 Vietnam.
Where to get: You will be eligible to download this expansion pack (once it is released) if you pre-order Battlefield 3: Limited Edition at Origin or at any retailer all over the world.
Available: The release date of Back to Karkand is not yet announced. This expansion pack is not on the disc and is not available on the launch date of the base game. Everyone (pre-orderers and those who buy it separately) will be able to start playing Battlefield 3: Back to Karkand at the same date.
Cost: At no extra charge with every pre-order of Battlefield 3: Limited Edition. You will be able to buy it separately for $14,99 if you don't pre-order (release date not yet announced).
More info: In this blog post.

Physical Warfare Pack
What it is: A set of three time-based exclusive items and one early weapon unlock for Battlefield 3.
Where to get: By pre-ordering Battlefield 3: Limited Edition on Origin or at select retailers all over the world.
Available: Day 1 if you pre-order. You will get access to this content at no extra charge at a later date if you don't pre-order (date to be announced)
Cost: At no extra charge with your pre-order at Origin and select retailers.

SPECACT Kit Upgrade
What it is: A set of 8 multiplayer skins, one for each class and side in Battlefield 3.
Where to get: At select retailers all over the world when you pre-order Battlefield 3: Limited Edition.
Available: Day 1.
Cost: At no extra charge with your pre-order at select retailers.

Dog Tag Pack
What it is: A set of 10 unique in-game dog tags to choose from. Dog tags in Battlefield 3 serve as your in-game signature, displayed on screen every time you defeat an enemy. You can also claim the dog tag of your enemies via skillful stealth knife takedowns. This pre-order exclusive pack gives you 10 unique dog tag designs to complement the standard range in the game.
Where to get: At select retailers all over the world when you pre-order Battlefield 3: Limited Edition.

What it is: Battlefield 3 gear for your console avatar.

Shotgun and Beret for Battlefield Play4Free
What it is: An 870S shotgun and a beret for in-game use in our play-for-free title Battlefield Play4Free.
Where to get: By pre-ordering Battlefield 3: Limited Edition on Origin.
Cost: At no extra charge with your pre-order on Origin.

48 Hour Early Access to the Open Beta
What it is: A 2 day (48 hours) early access to the Battlefield 3 Open Beta starting in September 2011.
Where to get: By pre-ordering the digital download PC version of Battlefield 3: Limited Edition on Origin or by being a first-hand Medal of Honor: Limited Edition or Medal of Honor: Tier 1 Edition player.
Available: 48 hours before the Open Beta goes public for everyone.

FAQ on the Open Beta

How early is early access?
Early access to the Open Beta is 48 hours before the public is allowed to enter.

How will my early access to the Open Beta be delivered if I am eligible?
This will be communicated later. Stay tuned.

Who can participate in the Open Beta?
The Battlefield 3 Open Beta will be available to all, on all platforms, in September.

Can I get early access to the Open Beta by pre-ordering Battlefield 3 on Origin?
Yes, if you pre-order the digital download PC version of Battlefield 3: Limited Edition on Origin. This will also entitle you to the pre-order items Physical Warfare Pack plus the Shotgun and Beret for Battlefield Play4Free -- see above.

I bought Medal of Honor Limited Edition/Tier 1 Edition and was promised entry to the Battlefield 3 Beta -- is that a different Beta than the Open Beta just announced?
No, it is the same Open Beta, but as a first-hand buyer of Medal of Honor: Limited Edition/Tier 1 Edition, you will have 48 hours early access.

What if I bought Medal of Honor: Limited Edition/Tier 1 Edition as a digital download -- do I still get early access to the Open Beta?
Yes.

What are the exact dates for the Open Beta?
The exact dates for the Open Beta will be announced later.

What if I pre-ordered the digital download version of Battlefield 3: Limited Edition on Origin before they announced the early access to the Open Beta -- do I still get this early access?
Yes.

maniacalpha1-1
08-04-2011, 04:13 PM
$14.99 for BTK! Man, they are really putting the heat on people to preorder.

If they had announced it would cost that much before, they'd probably have even more preorders than they do already.

Ackmed
08-04-2011, 04:58 PM
$15 for one map is idiotic. Used to be, that was an expansion pack, not just one map. I hate how things are going.

maniacalpha1-1
08-04-2011, 05:02 PM
$15 for one map is idiotic. Used to be, that was an expansion pack, not just one map. I hate how things are going.

No, they call it "Back to Karkand" but you actually get Karkand, Sharqi, Wake and Oman. Plus the vehicles and weapons are different from base BF3.

BTW.

Gustav Halling tweeted that you would be able to cross-use BTK weapons in vanilla BF3. If that means that if you own BTK you can use BTK in vanilla against other people who can't, that will generate some ire.

uclaLabrat
08-04-2011, 06:00 PM
No, they call it "Back to Karkand" but you actually get Karkand, Sharqi, Wake and Oman. Plus the vehicles and weapons are different from base BF3.

BTW.

Gustav Halling tweeted that you would be able to cross-use BTK weapons in vanilla BF3. If that means that if you own BTK you can use BTK in vanilla against other people who can't, that will generate some ire.
I'm gonna be SRAW sniping again! Woot!

GullyFoyle
08-04-2011, 06:07 PM

BTW.

I saw that tweet on Gustav Halling's blog, and wanted to see what it was a response to before mentioning it. When I checked from home that tweet was deleted. I can't find it anywhere. I think he misspoke and had it removed.

It should work just like the BFBC2 Vietnam (which was $15, no surprise), the weapons will be game specific.

maniacalpha1-1
08-04-2011, 06:17 PM
I saw that tweet on Gustav Halling's blog, and wanted to see what it was a response to before mentioning it. When I checked from home that tweet was deleted. I can't find it anywhere. I think he misspoke and had it removed.

It should work just like the BFBC2 Vietnam (which was $15, no surprise), the weapons will be game specific.

As luck would have it- I had copied it :

Stallownage (http://twitter.com/#!/Stallownage)Dave Nolan

@gustavhalling (http://twitter.com/gustavhalling) How integrated will BF3 and BTK expansion be? Will we be able to use BTK weapons in BF3 and vice versa, for example?

3 Aug (http://twitter.com/#!/Stallownage/status/98730271163158528)Favorite (http://twitter.com/#)Retweet (http://twitter.com/#)Reply (http://twitter.com/#)

in reply to ↑
http://a3.twimg.com/profile_images/122446004/_DSC0083_normal.jpg (http://twitter.com/#!/gustavhalling)@gustavhalling (http://twitter.com/#!/gustavhalling)Gustav Halling

@Stallownage (http://twitter.com/Stallownage) I would use B2K instead (back 2 karkand) :) And yes, you will be able to use your weapons a cross BF3 and B2K.

And I assume he's pushing people to say B2K since BTK refers to a serial killer...

EDIT: That tweet appears to have not been removed from his twitter....

Baasha
08-04-2011, 09:52 PM
Well, the thing that I don't like is that the Amazon pre-order bonus is just the "Dog-Tag Pack". Who the hell cares about dog-tags. I want the Physical Warfare pack as that has some cool stuff. Also, when I ordered BF3 on Amazon, it was $59.95 not $50. How'd you guys get it for a lower price?

Kev
08-04-2011, 10:18 PM
Great, so they're going to splinter the community immediately upon the game's release with the BTK pack. Hooray for DLC!

I am getting more and more disappointed the closer we get to the release.

minmaster
08-04-2011, 10:51 PM
i don't think BTK will split the community. i look at is like the map pack we got in BC2 like the oasis/harvest hill/heavy metal map pack. since they were just maps, we didn't have split community. not sure how they will do with BTK, but i figure it will be the same. instead of having a totally diff. game like BC vietnam.

plus, i think every PC player will have BTK. they already announced every PC preorder will get BTK, and they might as well just give it to anyone who buys the game anytime.

edit: oh wait... i read the posts above mine and it seems like they want to go the vietnam route? i just hope they integrate it better so that you can go back and forth w/ the maps on the servers without having to switch back and forth manually.

Termie
08-04-2011, 11:00 PM
Well, the thing that I don't like is that the Amazon pre-order bonus is just the "Dog-Tag Pack". Who the hell cares about dog-tags. I want the Physical Warfare pack as that has some cool stuff. Also, when I ordered BF3 on Amazon, it was $59.95 not $50. How'd you guys get it for a lower price?

I agree the Amazon bonus is weak. But it's better than Newegg, which apparently gets nothing.

Both have had it for $50 on and off. With Amazon you're guaranteed a lower price if it drops at release, but you might keep an eye out for deals elsewhere. At $60, it might be worth getting from Origin.

minmaster
08-04-2011, 11:37 PM
i have mine preordered from D2D and its non-cancelable

i dont think im getting anything other than BTK

M0oG0oGaiPan
08-05-2011, 12:26 AM
As a special thank you for playing, we're offering Battlefield 3 Alpha Trial players a bonus PC digital download game when you pre-order Battlefield 3 Limited Edition at Origin. Hurry-this offer is only good for the next 3 days. See below for more details.

The games you can pick are Mass Effect 2, Dead Space 2, Medal of Honor. I think ME2 has been $5, DS2 has been around $10, and MoH has been around $10.

GullyFoyle
08-05-2011, 07:50 AM
Great, so they're going to splinter the community immediately upon the game's release with the BTK pack. Hooray for DLC!

I am getting more and more disappointed the closer we get to the release.

Well, they changed their story on the BTK pack, it was initially going to be available at BF3 release, but now will be released some time later.

maniacalpha1-1
08-05-2011, 08:19 AM
I don't think the possibility that a few people won't have BTK will fracture the community much, I think the biggest "community splintering" will be IF you can't rotate BTK maps in with vanilla maps. If you can't, clans who want to run both kinds of maps will have to open up an additional server for BTK maps. If you WANTED to have 1 64 player map rotating all of it, but are forced to open a 2nd 64 server for BTK, you now have 128 slots to fill. Yet your clan's regular playerbase does not go up just because you rented the extra server. Either one will sit empty or effort must be made to shift players from one to the other.

I seriously hope Battlelog does allow clan support including clan profiles and messages of the day/announcements. Even if you aren't in a clan, you could check their profile for updates like..."Everyone play on our BTK server this week!"

GullyFoyle
08-05-2011, 09:25 AM
twitter.com/L_Twin (http://twitter.com/L_Twin/status/99476547467091968): "Just experienced some awesome Conquest action - #BF3 is getting ready for #gamescom!"

Gamescom 2011 is from August 17 to August 21. Sounds like they will have a Conquest map ready for the beta...:)

maevinj
08-05-2011, 09:26 AM
As a special thank you for playing, we're offering Battlefield 3 Alpha Trial players a bonus PC digital download game when you pre-order Battlefield 3 Limited Edition at Origin. Hurry-this offer is only good for the next 3 days. See below for more details.

The games you can pick are Mass Effect 2, Dead Space 2, Medal of Honor. I think ME2 has been $5, DS2 has been around $10, and MoH has been around $10.

Yep I the same email. If you look only at the origin store, Dead space 2 is still 39.99 on there. I'm think I'm going to hit them up for that one.

jackstar7
08-05-2011, 09:29 AM
Caved in and bought it on Origin. I really want Karkland on the new engine.

Hope they don't drag out the wait too long.

Zargon
08-05-2011, 09:35 AM
twitter.com/L_Twin (http://twitter.com/L_Twin/status/99476547467091968): "Just experienced some awesome Conquest action - #BF3 is getting ready for #gamescom!"

Gamescom 2011 is from August 17 to August 21. Sounds like they will have a Conquest map ready for the beta...:)

hellz yes just saw that on twitter

maniacalpha1-1
08-05-2011, 10:43 AM
New battleblog:
http://www.ea.com/uk/news/battlefield-3-battleblog5?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=socialflow

shocking part bolded near the end:

Battlefield 3 (http://www.battlefield.com/uk/battlefield3) will be the deepest shooter in DICE history. Read on for the full story on how we will reward skill and dedication, and how our flexible unlock and customisation system allows you to tailor the game for your personal play style.
“Battlefield players are among the most loyal out there. Our games are literally played for years by our hardcore fans, and we want to actively support that. There should always be something left to achieve in Battlefield 3.”
Valerian Noghin and Fredrik Thylander are Persistence Designers on Battlefield 3. They’re the guys making sure you will have as much fun with the game in 2013 as on launch day.
Back in 2005, Battlefield 2 was one of the first shooters to introduce a deep persistence system to add that extra layer of tasty rewards and unlocks to keep players returning to the battlefield for hundreds of hours. With Battlefield 3, we are pulling all the stops. Compared to Battlefield: Bad Company 2 (http://www.ea.com/uk/game/battlefield-bad-company-2), Battlefield 3 will have more than 10 times the hardware unlocks spread over weapons, weapons attachments, gadgets, and a huge unlock tree for vehicles alone.
Skill And Dedication Equal Rewards
On top of these ingame hardware items, players will also be richly rewarded with medals, ribbons and service stars displaying their skill, commitment, and teamplay prowess. You will be rewarded handsomely in Battlefield 3 for exemplary skill, such as capturing X amount of bases in one round. Excellent teamplayers who keep the team’s vehicles in mint condition and revive fallen comrades will not go unnoticed either. These type of skill-driven rewards are typically handed out in the form of ribbons, and good players can often get more than one ribbon in a single round.
http://web-vassets.ea.com/Assets/Richmedia/Image/medal-02.jpg
From top left to bottom right: Assault Rifle Ribbon (7 assault rifle kills in a round), Nemesis Ribbon (2 nemesis kills), MVP Ribbon (be the best player in a round), Ace Squad Ribbon (be part of the best squad in a round), Medical Efficiency Ribbon (5 revives in a round), and finally the Air Warfare Ribbon (6 air kills in a round).
Winning a round for the team should always be the priority, so we are making sure that even when players are chasing their personal achievements, they are contributing to the overall battle. You will also be rewarded for true dedication and commitment, such as playing x amount of hours as a U.S. soldier. These honours come in the form of the much harder to get medals. They are typically given at specific milestones in your career.
There are a large number of ranks in Battlefield 3, similar to Battlefield: Bad Company 2. Your rank badge is a quick measure of your overall progress in the game. And even if you hit the max rank, there is always more glory to strive for with the new concept of Service Stars that we are introducing in Battlefield 3.
Service Stars Challenge The Hardcore
Even getting your first Service Star would be a major achievement. But keep playing, and you will be eligible for even further promotion by getting Service Stars added to your weapon skill badge, your vehicle, your kit, and your overall rank. Anytime your kill card is displayed, everyone will see exactly how experienced you are with your current equipment. The ultimate bragging right would be for a player to be awarded the rank of Colonel with 100 Service Stars attached, and to have 100 stars in all weapons, kits, and vehicles. Getting there will be a massive task – consider that a challenge! :)
The design philosophy behind the unlocks in Battlefield 3 is pretty sweet. We basically give you more hardware to play with for doing what you love to do. Case in point: Using gun X will give you more upgrades specifically for that gun. Playing with a kit and vehicle earns more upgrades for that kit and that vehicle. In addition, all XP gained also goes towards your overall rank, which in turn unlocks new weapons, specialisations, and camouflages usable by any class.
http://web-vassets.ea.com/Assets/Richmedia/medal-03.jpg
From left to right: Marksman Medal (obtain the Marksman Ribbon 50 times), Maintenance Medal (Obtain the Maintenance Ribbon 50 times), and the U.S. Army Service Medal (spend 100 hours in the U.S. Army.)
Play Battlefield 3 your way The mantra we keep coming back to when designing Battlefield 3 is “play it your way”. What that means is there’s an unprecedented flexibility in how you tailor your kits. The playable classes are not rigidly defined in what they are supposed to play like. While all four classes in Battlefield 3 (Assault, Engineer, Support, Recon) start out with everything they need to be an efficient soldier in the field, it is totally up to you and your personal preferences how you want to tailor them.
Take the Assault class, for example. As you may know by now, this is now the class that has the ability to equip both a defibrillator and medkit for frontline medic abilities. But if you would prefer to switch your add-ons to, say, an underslung grenade launcher with 40mm grenades, go ahead! That will give you an Assault soldier with a more offensive set of capabilities than the player who opts for the default medic approach.
Tactical unlocks force you to choose the right loadout for you That’s the way all of the unlocks and upgrades work. They are specifically designed to be tactical in nature, forcing you to choose loadout based on the map and situation. Do you go for the heavy barrel for your assault rifle? It gives added accuracy for single shots, but at the cost of stronger recoil in burst fire/full auto mode. A standard assault rifle can be modified into a long range accurate weapon or for close quarter, almost SMG-like, combat. For jets, do you go with Maverick ATG missiles to take out tanks or AA missiles to dogfight airborne threats? With your Engineer, do you bring your anti-tank or your anti-air RPG launcher?
In short, we think there has never been a better time to be a Battlefield gamer, no matter your play style.?

GullyFoyle
08-05-2011, 10:53 AM
New battleblog:
http://www.ea.com/uk/news/battlefield-3-battleblog5?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=socialflow

Let me skip and quote the interesting part:

C'mon man, post the whole thing and let us each decide the interesting parts...

Zargon
08-05-2011, 11:00 AM
yes please post the whole thing, that stuff is blocked at work

maniacalpha1-1
08-05-2011, 11:04 AM
C'mon man, post the whole thing and let us each decide the interesting parts...

yes please post the whole thing, that stuff is blocked at work

Yes it's all there now.

Mavericks OR AA missiles? Interesting choice to have to make...

and apparent MANPADS?

GullyFoyle
08-05-2011, 11:23 AM
Yes it's all there now.

Mavericks OR AA missiles? Interesting choice to have to make...

and apparent MANPADS?

Thanks Kemo Sabe.

I hope the AA works like DCON, dumb fire with proximity detection rather than some kind of lock-on tracking system. Skill based usage is more satisfying.

maniacalpha1-1
08-05-2011, 11:28 AM
Thanks Kemo Sabe.

I hope the AA works like DCON, dumb fire with proximity detection rather than some kind of lock-on tracking system. Skill based usage is more satisfying.

Perhaps, but people expecting to use flares won't be able to use them against that kind of system...

Zargon
08-05-2011, 11:31 AM
perhaps the 'heat seaking' has a small prox so you have to get close to get it to finish the job for you?

@Demize99 RT @Thylander: New #bf3 blogpost about persistence, made by yours truly http://*****/bN6rSgx

(I cant se ethe post sry if its a RP)

maniacalpha1-1
08-05-2011, 11:37 AM
perhaps the 'heat seaking' has a small prox so you have to get close to get it to finish the job for you?

@Demize99 RT @Thylander: New #bf3 blogpost about persistence, made by yours truly http://*****/bN6rSgx

(I cant se ethe post sry if its a RP)

Yes, it goes to the same BattleBlog. Well, GamesCom needs to hurry the fux up now, lol, so the specifics can be answered. I bet no DICE people will even acknowledge this BattleBlog's details until then.

Zargon
08-05-2011, 11:44 AM
Yes, it goes to the same BattleBlog. Well, GamesCom needs to hurry the fux up now, lol, so the specifics can be answered. I bet no DICE people will even acknowledge this BattleBlog's details until then.

@zh1nt0
Short info on gamescom. If you don't see any #BF3 stuff anywhere, you're most def in the wrong city.

well atleast it sounds like they are going to do something BIG.

GoodRevrnd
08-05-2011, 02:28 PM
Regarding the jet weapon choices and engi, I'm glad they're doing stuff like this. I suspected BF3 would be much better in this regard when I noticed in alpha that as assault you had to choose between medkits and 40mm launcher. Making people specialize much more specifically will make the game much more balanced.

Zargon
08-05-2011, 02:49 PM
^^^ x2.

more tactics required the better

XX55XX
08-05-2011, 02:52 PM
Well, I am rather excited. Does anyone here plan to join a clan for this? I have been playing BF for ages, and I am thinking about joining a clan for BF3 since a lot of my real-life friends might not be getting this game.

Zargon
08-05-2011, 03:52 PM
@BattlefieldNewsPlanet

BF Blog - Unlocks & Awards in Battlefield 3 http://dlvr.it/f1hKw

can't read it at work

minmaster
08-05-2011, 08:04 PM
Regarding the jet weapon choices and engi, I'm glad they're doing stuff like this. I suspected BF3 would be much better in this regard when I noticed in alpha that as assault you had to choose between medkits and 40mm launcher. Making people specialize much more specifically will make the game much more balanced.

i dunno if that's really good though.
you can't just assume that if you got an assault guy next to you that he will be able to heal you... so if you ask him for health and don't receive one, you don't really know if he even has medkit. same with defib...

i mean you expect the guy to have the medkit just as a support guy will have ammo, no?

jackstar7
08-05-2011, 08:50 PM
you can't just assume that if you got an assault guy next to you that he will be able to heal you... so if you ask him for health and don't receive one, you don't really know if he even has medkit. same with defib...

i mean you expect the guy to have the medkit just as a support guy will have ammo, no?

I think that's where being in squads will be key -- making sure you can support each other properly as conditions dictate.

uclaLabrat
08-05-2011, 10:10 PM
Well, I am rather excited. Does anyone here plan to join a clan for this? I have been playing BF for ages, and I am thinking about joining a clan for BF3 since a lot of my real-life friends might not be getting this game.
atfclan.com
rest assured we'll have a divvy up for BF3 soon.

GoodRevrnd
08-05-2011, 11:07 PM
You can't just assume that if you got an assault guy next to you that he will be able to heal you... So if you ask him for health and don't receive one, you don't really know if he even has medkit. Same with defib...

I mean you expect the guy to have the medkit just as a support guy will have ammo, no?

oh funny you should mention that. Sounds like a good reason to bring the commo rose back.

minmaster
08-05-2011, 11:18 PM
I think that's where being in squads will be key -- making sure you can support each other properly as conditions dictate.

yea but still, we depend on people outside our squads as we play especially with 32 players on each side it will be an issue imo.

oh funny you should mention that. Sounds like a good reason to bring the commo rose back.

commorose isnt gonna tell you who has medkit or who has 40mm GL...

GoodRevrnd
08-06-2011, 12:06 AM
commorose isnt gonna tell you who has medkit or who has 40mm GL...

ya but you won't be wasting your time spamming Q on a person for a medkit when it turns out they don't have one.

maniacalpha1-1
08-06-2011, 01:26 AM
Commo rose tells you who needs a medkit. Instead of, say, a wounded support class offering the medic ammo.

Zargon
08-06-2011, 05:23 PM
Commo rose tells you who needs a medkit. Instead of, say, a wounded support class offering the medic ammo.

since when did it tell you who needs a medkit? oh, maybe others could tell you they needed one?

in the alpha I played as support and teammates low on ammo had a ammo icon floating on them, which was helpful

maniacalpha1-1
08-06-2011, 05:26 PM
since when did it tell you who needs a medkit? oh, maybe others could tell you they needed one?

in the alpha I played as support and teammates low on ammo had a ammo icon floating on them, which was helpful

I wasn't in the alpha so I didn't get to see which short-of-the-mark attempt at social button they had going this time, I was referring to BF2(can yell Medic! with commo rose) vs BC2, where it's as likely to offer ammo as request a health pack.

realjetavenger
08-06-2011, 06:25 PM
For anyone who hasn't seen this one, he takes you through the alpha starting with the setup/load out menu and then shows each weapon in use. It's a little slow and dry (none of the mythbuster humor) but informative for those that did not get in the alpha.

I love how he shoots and knifes a guy (around 13:40) but he winds up dead with the other guys health still sowing at 62% (felt like someone recorded my playing).

http://www.youtube.com/user/mattverd24

tokie
08-07-2011, 04:48 AM
Just preordered.

I can't believe because of Origin I have to pay $7 in sales tax. Steam would have made sure that was $0. What a stupid g-d decision EA.

Zargon
08-07-2011, 08:02 AM
I wasn't in the alpha so I didn't get to see which short-of-the-mark attempt at social button they had going this time, I was referring to BF2(can yell Medic! with commo rose) vs BC2, where it's as likely to offer ammo as request a health pack.

I wouldnt call the HUD telling who needs ammo all the time a "short of the mark attempt at a social button"

maniacalpha1-1
08-07-2011, 08:40 AM
I wouldnt call the HUD telling who needs ammo all the time a "short of the mark attempt at a social button"

Stories of assault classes offering ammo when wounded abound. Maybe they fixed that in the alpha, but the fact remains, I should NOT have to look for a medic, support, etc and aim directly at them to request things. What if there are more than one in my squad and one is busy shooting? Etc/

bargetrav
08-07-2011, 10:13 AM
Just preordered.

I can't believe because of Origin I have to pay $7 in sales tax. Steam would have made sure that was $0. What a stupid g-d decision EA.

Sorry chief, sales tax should be charged for everyone on products like this, just because we've gotten around it for years, doesn't mean we're not supposed to pay it.

Ackmed
08-07-2011, 01:51 PM
Sorry chief, sales tax should be charged for everyone on products like this, just because we've gotten around it for years, doesn't mean we're not supposed to pay it.

Just because you say it should be, doesnt mean it should be. If we were supposed to pay it, we would. Perhaps one day we will, that day is not today.

The fact is, there wouldnt have been tax on steam. And thats all he was saying.

scooterlibby
08-07-2011, 03:12 PM
Just because you say it should be, doesnt mean it should be. If we were supposed to pay it, we would. Perhaps one day we will, that day is not today.

The fact is, there wouldnt have been tax on steam. And thats all he was saying.

Given that it's the law in my state to pay sales tax on all online purchases, I'll put that in the 'supposed to pay' category, and I did indeed pay. The day where you have to pay sales tax has already come and is today. May have not gotten that way on Steam yet, but it will. Whether or not it 'should be' that way is not the same thing.

Anyways, did my deal with the devil and just pre-ordered through Origin.

Ackmed
08-07-2011, 04:38 PM
Then clarify, your state. Dont make a sweeping generalization. Not all states have resorted to charging sales tax on all online sales. Mine has not, and so far isn't close to it.

Zargon
08-07-2011, 05:27 PM
Stories of assault classes offering ammo when wounded abound. Maybe they fixed that in the alpha, but the fact remains, I should NOT have to look for a medic, support, etc and aim directly at them to request things. What if there are more than one in my squad and one is busy shooting? Etc/

I didnt even try Q

all I know is, a good 1/3rd of my team had ammo markers on them indicating they could use ammo

not just my squad

you act liek commo rose was awesome, but it really wasnt all that awesome, you still had to stop doing what you were doing to use it

maniacalpha1-1
08-07-2011, 05:32 PM
I didnt even try Q

all I know is, a good 1/3rd of my team had ammo markers on them indicating they could use ammo

not just my squad

you act liek commo rose was awesome, but it really wasnt all that awesome, you still had to stop doing what you were doing to use it

You had to stop shooting for long enough to hit Q and move your mouse 1 over to the right option. About a half second max, faster once you get used to to it. Whereas failed social button requires you to stop, turn and look at a medic, which you have to find first. The social button takes a lot longer and requires you to turn your back to the enemy.

And it's not just about Ammo and Medic requests. Everything the BF2 commo rose permitted to be said is important.

M0oG0oGaiPan
08-07-2011, 06:50 PM
You had to stop shooting for long enough to hit Q and move your mouse 1 over to the right option. About a half second max, faster once you get used to to it. Whereas failed social button requires you to stop, turn and look at a medic, which you have to find first. The social button takes a lot longer and requires you to turn your back to the enemy.

And it's not just about Ammo and Medic requests. Everything the BF2 commo rose permitted to be said is important.

In CS 1.6 you could bind keys to send out radio messages. Would be a nice feature. They really need a better key binding system for this game in general. It's not very flexible. They also need a quick switch. Maybe a way to lock your gun also. There's been way too many times where I'm trying to disable a plant in rush and instead I'll just be picking up guns that are on the ground.

maniacalpha1-1
08-07-2011, 07:06 PM
In CS 1.6 you could bind keys to send out radio messages. Would be a nice feature. They really need a better key binding system for this game in general. It's not very flexible. They also need a quick switch. Maybe a way to lock your gun also. There's been way too many times where I'm trying to disable a plant in rush and instead I'll just be picking up guns that are on the ground.

Actually I think they are fixing that somehow - changing the buttons that do that, maybe, so there's no conflict.

GoodRevrnd
08-07-2011, 07:10 PM
I didn't figure it out in alpha, so does anyone know how vehicle disable works? Do they just autodisable after they cross a certain hp threshold or do you need to do damage to particular hitboxes?

GoodRevrnd
08-07-2011, 07:11 PM
http://www.gameranx.com/updates/id/2569/article/battlefield-3-point-system-revealed/
The scoring system for DICE's Battlefield 3 has been unveiled. The complete Battlefield 3 points system guide shows how many points players will score for a variety of kills, assists, objectives and more.

The points system for several parts of the Electronic Arts-published shooter are as follows:

Kill points:

Kill enemy: 100 points
Knife kill: 300 points
Comeback kill: 60 points
Headshot bonus: +10 points
Eliminate enemy squad: +10 points
Savior bonus: +20 points
Avenger bonus: +10 points
Destroy vehicle: 200 points
Disable vehicle: 100 points

Assist points:

Kill assist: from 10 to 60 points
Spot assist: 10 points
Squad kill assist: from 10 to 60 points
Squad spot assist: 20 points
Suppressive fire assist: +10 points
Squad spawn on you: +10 points

M-COM objective points:

M-COM arm: 200 points
M-COM disarm: 200 points
M-COM destroy: 200 points
M-COM attack bonus: +20 points
M-COM defend bonus: +20 points

Support:

Revive teammate: 100 points
Squad revive: +20 points
Squad Spawn on you: 10 points
Repair: +20 points
Squad repair: +30 points

Battlefield 3 is currently scheduled for a release on October 25th, 2011 in North American retailers. The game will release in European territories three days later, which is the 28th for those who can't count.

No points for heal and ammo? Blech.

maniacalpha1-1
08-07-2011, 07:15 PM
I didn't figure it out in alpha, so does anyone know how vehicle disable works? Do they just autodisable after they cross a certain hp threshold or do you need to do damage to particular hitboxes?

I was told it happened at a preset %. Higher than 40...but this was on EA UK forums and they wouldn't say more...perhaps someone here will. Also, they said the AT rocket was doing about 17% damage per hit to the LAV.

GoodRevrnd
08-07-2011, 07:29 PM
I was told it happened at a preset %. Higher than 40...but this was on EA UK forums and they wouldn't say more...perhaps someone here will. Also, they said the AT rocket was doing about 17% damage per hit to the LAV.

That sounds a little low, maybe if all hits were dead front? I'm pretty sure I took a few out with 3 direct to the back (2nd causing disable).

Zargon
08-08-2011, 08:20 AM

10 pts for ammo, 20 for insqual ammo, assuming same for heal

Zargon
08-08-2011, 08:22 AM

'lot longer' is a stretch thanks to the bright red beret's

didnt an icon appear on the people you were looking at to notify you what was said if you q'd them?

the new system just plain puts them on them all the time as far as I cna tell, which is better IMO. No idea how to actually ASK for stuff tho, I didnt get that much time to test the alpha, hopefully I get a beta invite too and can play more

Miklebud
08-08-2011, 08:27 AM

They fixed that in the Alpha. To pick up a new kit, you now press and hold R. But you use E to defuse/plant objectives.

M0oG0oGaiPan
08-08-2011, 09:20 AM
They fixed that in the Alpha. To pick up a new kit, you now press and hold R. But you use E to defuse/plant objectives.

Ah nice. I was in the alpha but I never actually changed kits.

tvdang7
08-08-2011, 09:50 AM
Does anyone feel like the way the classes are kind of bc2 style and not fun? i want the way bf2 was where the assault had the c4 NOT the sniper. Also why would the assault be the medic and the medic class has been taking out completely..........this game is basically bc2 with planes.

realjetavenger
08-08-2011, 09:55 AM
http://www.gameranx.com/updates/id/2569/article/battlefield-3-point-system-revealed/

Eliminate enemy squad: +10 points

I wonder if this means there is only 1 person left on a squad (where the rest are still waiting to spawn) or if it means you take out an entire squad on your own? If it is the latter, that doesn't look like a whole lotta points for single handedly taking out an entire squad.

10 pts for ammo, 20 for insqual ammo, assuming same for heal

Maybe I'm mis-remembering but I do not recall getting points for laying down med packs and healing either team or squad mates. And you could see how their health bar (or whatever it is called) went from maybe a third to half full to being full after standing near your health pack. However, I do recall getting points for reviving players.

maniacalpha1-1
08-08-2011, 10:02 AM
Does anyone feel like the way the classes are kind of bc2 style and not fun? i want the way bf2 was where the assault had the c4 NOT the sniper. Also why would the assault be the medic and the medic class has been taking out completely..........this game is basically bc2 with planes.

the classes are just fine except for the snipers getting C4. RECON can get the c4, that's not a problem. By that I mean, snipers should have to pick the all-class unlocks in order to choose C4. Like assaults did in BC2.

SunnyD
08-08-2011, 11:13 AM
EA finally says WHY it won't be on steam: (http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2011/08/battlefield-3-not-coming-to-steam-ea-provides-good-reason.ars)

EA has claimed that Steam has added a "set of restrictive terms of service" that limits how the company can provide patches and other content. "No other download service has adopted these practices," EA explained. Reading between the lines, it sounds like EA wants to offer patches as well as for-pay content directly to gamers through the games itself. Valve seems to have rules in place that state such content must be sent through the Steam servers.

maniacalpha1-1
08-08-2011, 11:31 AM
EA finally says WHY it won't be on steam: (http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2011/08/battlefield-3-not-coming-to-steam-ea-provides-good-reason.ars)

Aren't there plenty of other companies with similar games, similar patching requirements, etc including multiplayer shooters, that still use steam?

I wonder if the real problem is that they don't want DLC to be subject to steam sales, or something like that.

VulgarDisplay
08-08-2011, 01:23 PM
Aren't there plenty of other companies with similar games, similar patching requirements, etc including multiplayer shooters, that still use steam?

I wonder if the real problem is that they don't want DLC to be subject to steam sales, or something like that.

Steam wants part of the revenue generated by DLC. EA does not want them to have that money. Either way Steam is losing out on a huge amount of cash by not catering to EA's demands for BF3.

Zargon
08-08-2011, 02:30 PM
Steam wants part of the revenue generated by DLC. EA does not want them to have that money. Either way Steam is losing out on a huge amount of cash by not catering to EA's demands for BF3.

they are probably afraid to cave to EA and end up doing the same thing to Ubi/activision/etc and losing tons of revenue for doing not much of anything

I like steam, for the most part, but god valve tries hard to ruin it all the time

SunnyD
08-08-2011, 03:34 PM
they are probably afraid to cave to EA and end up doing the same thing to Ubi/activision/etc and losing tons of revenue for doing not much of anything

I like steam, for the most part, but god valve tries hard to ruin it all the time

I think you used "steam" where you meant "EA" there... ;)

Stuxnet
08-08-2011, 03:52 PM
this game is basically bc2 with planes.

He said it, not me!

:sneaky:

uclaLabrat
08-08-2011, 04:48 PM
The game really does feel completely different than BC2, at least to me. The class system as proposed in BF3 will lead to much greater customization anyway, it's not a bad thing.

GoodRevrnd
08-08-2011, 05:20 PM

Well you can be sure that c4 will share a slot with the claymore and who knows what other gadgets. With that available nobody actually sniping will pick c4. It still makes some sense for the VSS/SVU type guns to use it. From what I could tell in alpha recon will be a more versatile class in BF3 than it was in BC2. And assault didn't have c4 in bf2, it was a class called special ops which carried a lighter weight carbine rifle than the assault.

Everybody seems to fap themselves really hard over fond memories of BF2 and seems to have forgotten how much was terrible about it (it was still a good game I enjoyed though). Dolphin diving ruined the game and every patch they released made the game worse in some way.

maniacalpha1-1
08-08-2011, 05:24 PM
Speaking of claymores, did they function like BF2? Are they one shot kills? Are they able to be shot/grenaded like BC2 AT mines? etc.

Zargon
08-08-2011, 05:51 PM
@BattlefieldNewsPlanet Battlefield

Battlefield 3 Conquest & Jets at Gamescom http://dlvr.it/fPrw6

can't see at work :(

Zargon
08-08-2011, 05:52 PM
I think you used "steam" where you meant "EA" there... ;)

if you've ever had a customer service issue with steam you would realize I meant Valve.

who else has about 4 people running support about 10 hours a day for a digital gaming service o_O

GullyFoyle
08-08-2011, 08:57 PM
can't see at work :(

Planet Battlefield - Battlefield 3 Conquest & Jets at Gamescom (http://planetbattlefield.gamespy.com/fullstory.php?id=165258)

Monday, 8 August, 2011 at 15:38 PST | ^Scott^ | Print News
The upcoming German gaming convention, Gamescom (http://www.gamescom-cologne.com/) is quickly approaching and Battlefield 3 is expected to have a big presence. According to a tweet (https://twitter.com/#!/L_Twin/status/99476547467091968) by DICE's Karl-Magnus Troedsson it looks like we will be seeing some of the first conquest gameplay at Gamescom. There is also a very good chance we will see jets. A video posted by BF-Game.net's Blond3r (http://www.bf-games.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=43143&st=2475&p=1664948&#entry1664948) shows a MiG-21 jet being rolled into the Battlefield 3 booth. Gamescom starts August 17th and runs through the 21st.

YouTube link to video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Ru2oC5xX_o)

GullyFoyle
08-08-2011, 09:08 PM
arstechnica.com - Editorial: What EA will lose if Battlefield 3 remains off Steam (http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2011/08/what-ea-will-lose-if-battlefield-3-remains-off-steam.ars)

By Ben Kuchera

Plenty of PC gamers sit down each night without knowing what they want to play. Instead, they log into their Steam accounts, see what other people are playing, then jump into a multiplayer game. In many cases, they buy widely played games simply to be part of the community, or based on positive reviews from friends. Steam isn't just a store, it's also a meeting place. EA may have good reasons for keeping Battlefield 3 away from Valve's service (http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2011/08/battlefield-3-not-coming-to-steam-ea-provides-good-reason.ars), but the company is still going to lose out in goodwill—and possibly in sales.

Stardock estimated that Steam held 70 percent of the digital distribution market (http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=26158) at the end of 2009, and it's likely that estimate remains accurate; what other services have stepped up to chip away at Steam's dominance? Steam is the market leader when it comes to selling PC games online, and gamers are largely comfortable with the service and with their place in it. While many argue that, like EA's own digital distribution service Origin, Steam started out in rough shape and only improved over time, the fact remains that Origin is fighting a service that is rock-solid right now.

Growing pains are over for Valve, and the company has built an amazing amount of goodwill with PC gamers. The facts of the skirmish between EA and Valve are purely secondary at this point; what matters is that PC gamers have many reasons to trust Valve, and just as many reasons to distrust EA. One of these companies gave indie developers a home (http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2011/07/cthulhu-catches-up-indie-rpg-struggles-on-xbox-thrives-on-steam.ars) to sell their games and find success, while the other placed DRM into our vocabulary during Spore's release (http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2008/09/ea-relents-changes-spore-drm-too-little-too-late.ars).

When gamers think of Valve, they remember the last game they bought at deep discount during one of the platform's many sales. They think of all the friends they have on the platform, and the games they've been given or have gifted to others. They meet up with people online to play games because they know people will be on Steam when they want to play.

When gamers think of EA, they remember fighting with redemption codes to get their Dragon Age content or having to set up another account to play a game online. They think of DRM. EA can make well-reasoned arguments about why it won't put up with Valve's DLC requirements all day long and it won't matter: the company has not put in the legwork to make friends with the PC gaming community.

This entire debate can be boiled down to the simple fact that people already use Steam, they like Steam, and they resent being forced to set up an account with another service to play a game. This is especially true when it's a brand-new, untested storefront that's being driven by a company that has given PC gamers every reason to be skeptical. It's unclear if Battlefield 3 will be enough of a draw to make customers forget that fact.

For many gamers, Steam is PC gaming and, while threats of a boycott often seem hollow, in this case it will be as if the game simply doesn't exist for many Steam users.

dyndragon
08-08-2011, 10:22 PM
Set your birthday to something upcoming, and they send you a 25% code for buying something off origin. I just got mine because my birthday happened to be today.

GoodRevrnd
08-09-2011, 02:01 AM
Where do you enter your bday.

dyndragon
08-09-2011, 07:54 AM
Somewhere at profile.ea.com. I'd love to tell you, but my EA profile login is screwed up. I can't log into origin, BC2, or any EA service. Support tells me that they are undergoing some sort of maintenance that is affecting some accounts. WTF?

Zargon
08-09-2011, 09:30 AM
sweet mine actually IS coming up

M0oG0oGaiPan
08-09-2011, 10:02 AM
I don't think you can change it w/out emailing customer service. Also I think you have to have an account for a certain # of months before they send you the bd coupon.

maniacalpha1-1
08-09-2011, 10:19 AM
I went into every EA profile and Origin settings I could find and couldn't even find a birthdate to verify, let alone change. Mine comes before BF releases, I guess I just have to wait and see if I get a coupon.

dyndragon
08-09-2011, 10:40 AM
i THINK i set my birthday when i joined the EA gun club. check over there.

Edit: also, i KNOW for sure that an alt account that i registered through the EA gun club is less than a month old, and also got the 25% off coupon

GullyFoyle
08-09-2011, 10:44 AM
New Battlefield Blog Post: The Battlefield Team Needs You! (http://blogs.battlefield.ea.com/battlefield_bad_company/archive/2011/08/09/the-battlefield-team-needs-you.aspx)

BY: zh1nt0 POSTED : Aug 09, 2011, 01:29PM

The Battlefield team needs you! 14 QA Testers required for 3 months working on BF3

Although video game testing can be fun and rewarding, it is hard work. We are looking for responsible, dependable candidates who have an eye for detail, great work ethics, excellent verbal and written communications skills, and the ability to work in a team environment. We need people who are able to work a flexible schedule as work days may vary from week to week. There will be overtime opportunities.

What skills does DICE look for?

Required Skills:
- Self starter
- Good organisational skills
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Basic to advanced software troubleshooting skills
- Ability to remain focused until project completion

Desired skills:
- Experience and understanding of console or PC game testing
- Software troubleshooting

If you are looking for an opportunity to contribute to the Imminant Battlefield 3 and work with one of the best teams in the Gaming world please apply to the position with a latest copy of your cv. This role is onsite in Stockholm due to the short nature of the contract we are only considering candidates who can work onsite and are able to come to work without relocation support.

We are not considering overseas or remote applications.

All applicants should email their CV’s too jobs@dice.se

sigurros81
08-09-2011, 11:29 AM
Can we start seeing some new media in regards to the game that actually get us to be psyched. Why do I care for an old jet plane being put on display at some conference. I'd love to see some new video clips or screenshots instead of the recycled crap we've been seeing since march.

GullyFoyle
08-09-2011, 11:58 AM
Can we start seeing some new media in regards to the game that actually get us to be psyched. Why do I care for an old jet plane being put on display at some conference. I'd love to see some new video clips or screenshots instead of the recycled crap we've been seeing since march.

GamesCom is in 8 days. If the rumours are correct about Conquest and Jets being revealed there, there should be an accompanying trailer video released also.

Until then, it's just recycled shit (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q11kv4Ov6gs)...

sigurros81
08-09-2011, 12:22 PM
GamesCom is in 8 days. If the rumours are correct about Conquest and Jets being revealed there, there should be an accompanying trailer video released also.

Until then, it's just recycled shit (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q11kv4Ov6gs)...

Haha, that is great. Thanks for sharing.

Zargon
08-09-2011, 01:47 PM

because it would be CRAZY of them to use it as a prop if they arent going to show off some jets!

sigurros81
08-09-2011, 03:14 PM
because it would be CRAZY of them to use it as a prop if they arent going to show off some jets!

If I want to beat COD in the popularity contest, I sure as hell wouldn't be using shoddy Russian MIG.

GullyFoyle
08-09-2011, 03:56 PM
Anyone in the Seattle area?

Battlefield 3 at PAX Prime, August 26 - 28, Seattle, WA (http://www.nvidia.com/object/pax-prime.html)

Experience Everything. Sacrifice Nothing. Play Fully Loaded.
Get yourself “Fully Loaded” to experience this year’s hottest games on the PC!
Visit us in the PC Freeplay Area on Level 6 at PAX Prime to experience the unreleased, highly-anticipated game, Battlefield 3, the way it’s meant to be played: On “Fully Loaded” PCs featuring two NVIDIA GeForce GTX 580s in SLI, provided by Maingear.

Enter the daily 12v12 single player tournament to win some great prizes – a grand prize winner will be selected each day. These Fully Loaded systems are also available every day for free play so you can polish your tactics. Visit the PC Freeplay Area on Level 6 for details.

Zargon
08-09-2011, 04:06 PM
If I want to beat COD in the popularity contest, I sure as hell wouldn't be using shoddy Russian MIG.

its not like de-toothed modern jets are available, at all?!

its a prop, its not like the MIG 21 is going to be in game...

Inferno0032
08-09-2011, 07:38 PM
Anyone in the Seattle area?

Battlefield 3 at PAX Prime, August 26 - 28, Seattle, WA (http://www.nvidia.com/object/pax-prime.html)

I am, but unfortunately my girlfriend had me booked awhile back for that weekend.

GullyFoyle
08-09-2011, 07:48 PM
Classic Amiga/PC management sim Theme Park and Call of Duty rival Battlefield 3 heading to iOS (http://www.pocketgamer.co.uk/r/Multiformat/Theme+Park/news.asp?c=32211)

Sugar and spice
Product: Theme Park | Publisher: EA Mobile | Genre: Simulation

by Will Wilson

Two giants of EA gaming past and present will be heading to iOS later this year, the company has told Pocket Gamer - the classic Amiga / PC / console management title Theme Park and the next portable iteration of DICE’s Battlefield series.

Not too many details have been revealed about the contents of this mobile version of Battlefield 3 just yet, but given the previous release (Battlefield Bad Company 2) was set alongside the events of the home console version, we expect the action in this title to follow a similar path - setting the game in an earthquake-hit Iraq, rather than with Sweetwater and co.

But despite our love for shooting terrorists in the face (virtually, I mean), it’s the appearance of Theme Park that has the office running around like lunatics, eating chips with unhealthy levels of salt, and making motions to shake each other’s hand in a dark room before suddenly pulling away at the last minute.

They’re from the game, in case you were wondering / worried.

Running theme

One of Bullfrog’s finest creations, Theme Park tasks you with running various amusement parks across the world. You'll have to pull in punters with fun and exciting rides, make sure they’re kept happy with a decent level of staff, and extract as much cash from their sweaty palms as you can.

It’s widely regarded as one of the best management games ever made, thanks to its cheery disposition and engaging gameplay, so we’re very much looking forward to seeing it on iOS.

Both games are likely to be demonstrated next week at Gamescom, so we’ll have more concrete information for you then

GullyFoyle
08-10-2011, 03:49 PM
Looks like Battlefield 3 Presentations happen early at GamesCon (http://planetbattlefield.gamespy.com/fms/Image.php?image=http://pnmedia.gamespy.com/planetbattlefield.gamespy.com/images/news3/ea.gamescom2.jpg).

http://pnmedia.gamespy.com/planetbattlefield.gamespy.com/images/news3/ea.gamescom2.jpg

GullyFoyle
08-10-2011, 04:02 PM
justpushstart.com - Battlefield 3: Unraveling the Mystery Surrounding the Recon Class (http://www.justpushstart.com/2011/08/10/battlefield-3-unraveling-the-mystery-surrounding-the-recon-class/)

Wed, Aug 10, 2011

Battlefield 3′s release date is nearing fast and although we’ve been given copious amounts of information regarding numerous aspects of the game, there is one area of the game that we’re still mostly in the dark about — the Recon class.
Here’s what we know so far about Battlefield 3′s classes:
The Assault class has the ability to use a grenade launcher as well as taking over Support’s old role as Medic by using the defibrillators. Making sure to complete the exchange of duties, the Support class has access to the ammo kit, which makes sense given that I’m sure this class will need a constant supply of ammunition to continue suppressing enemies (another new mechanic). In addition, they’ll also have access to a bipod for their LMG to aid in accurate shooting. Due to their heavy weapon handling skills, it is also said that this class may wield assault rifles with several attachments such as the flashlight. Engineers have seen the least variation since they have retained their usual equipment which includes the following: RPG-7/AT4, tank mines, and the repair tool.
Now let’s focus on the mysterious Recon class. Let’s start with what has been revealed so far. Recon will have access to C4 once again. This compact explosive has proved useful in setting up intricate traps, bringing down structures, and taking out armored vehicles. Binoculars are expected to make a return (in some form) as well allowing snipers the ability to call in artillery on their enemies. Finally, the Recon class will be sharing a piece of equipment with the Support class. You may be thinking, “But snipers are precise one-shot-one-kill soldiers while LMG experts pepper their targets in fully automatic fire.” The answer should be obvious, however. Snipers can outfit their weapon with a bipod. This is a great addition that is sure to compliment the prone stance as well as eliminating the return of scope sway (don’t forget about the scope glint though!).

DICE has gone on the record as saying that the Recon class will be more of a “team player” this time around. How exactly are they going to go about achieving a more integrated sniper role? Well, I’ve put together a short list of possible uses the class can bring to the table. I’ll begin with the more obvious uses of a sniper’s talents.
1. Claymores: Claymore would be a useful tool for any sniper. Just to cover my bases, the inclusion of claymores AND C4 isn’t redundant. C4 have several uses as stated above, but they tend to be used offensively since they are usually placed on occupied buildings or vehicles. Claymores are more of a defensive weapon since they can be set up to protect yourself. If someone is sneaking up behind a sniper, chances are the unaware shooter won’t know that they need to set off their C4 to kill the approaching enemy. Claymores provide that added protection since they’ll be watching your back for you (in a way). Also, in terms of team play, claymores would be useful in protecting bases in Rush mode by setting them up in doorways and other major access points. In a game revolving around tactics and strategy, giving players the option between an offensive and defensive explosive is a good idea.
**This may have been confirmed through data files located in the Alpha build**
2. Spotting Scope: I know this isn’t anything new for this class, but its return hasn’t been confirmed or denied yet. A spotting scope is definitely a useful gadget for the entire team. Marking targets (without spamming your Select button) is advantageous to the team as they can follow and eliminate the enemies leaving the sniper’s effective kill area or ones that the sniper has unfortunately missed after taking a shot. Recent Alpha build information has revealed a weapon attachment that may very well take on this role, but I’ll get to that later.
3. Laser-Designated Strike: With Battlefield 3 seeing the return of jets, this gadget could help tie the new aircraft into team-based gameplay fairly easily. Picture using the binoculars to designate a target for a friendly in a jet. Then, when they fly by, they can drop down some explosive ordinance with precision. Without a designated target, jet users will be left to estimate the impact point of their explosives and this would leave them as somewhat lone wolves. By adding a laser-designator to the Recon class, DICE would be tying the jets directly into the team.

You may still be wondering about that side note I left on the Claymores section. Let’s address that now along with other rumors that have made their way out through Alpha testing.
Recent internet buzz has revealed some interesting information regarding further class alterations. If people who claim to be “in-the-know” are to be believed, then the Recon class may not be getting the C4 after all. Instead, it is said that C4 will be the Support’s responsibility and Recon will be left with Claymores to defend themselves. To some, and myself, this seems more fitting for each role.
Concerning the Spotting Scope, a weapon attachment has popped up in the Alpha build files labeled “Target Pointer.” Immediately, I was hoping that this would be a range finder. That would bring more depth to Recon as they looked at the target distance in meters and raised the scope to the appropriate notch on their crosshairs. Unfortunately, that seems unlikely and this attachment is most likely to be used in a similar fashion to Bad Company 2′s Spotting Scope.
The files also reveal Recon’s gadget named “Radio Beacon.” With binoculars no where in sight in the files, a radio beacon could be the replacement for the binoculars packing the artillery strike. Instead, recent forum chatter seems to state that the radio beacon will call in a mortar strike.
Lastly, a tripod is said to be another add-on for snipers to provide more stability and precision than the aforementioned bipod. While I agree that variety is the spice of life, I do not believe this would be too meaningful of an addition. Simply putting in a bipod is a smart move. I don’t think Recon should have to worry about upgrading to reduce sway and recoil. The class should instead be given a more meaningful gadget instead of the 2.0 version of an existing one.

That’s all we know (or think we know) for now regarding Battlefield 3′s Recon class. With the next beta well on its way, it seems we will be hearing more about this class and, hopefully, get to try sniping out ourselves in the coming month.

maniacalpha1-1
08-10-2011, 04:17 PM
If I had to guess, I would say that jets will carry dumb bombs or rockets standard, and then the choice between "Mavericks" or air to air missiles. IF there is laser designation, either it will work with the bombs and the Mavericks will self guide, or the bombs will be dumbfire and the mavericks laser designated.

M0oG0oGaiPan
08-10-2011, 04:25 PM
I can't remember but did you have to refuel jets in BF2?

maniacalpha1-1
08-10-2011, 04:38 PM
I can't remember but did you have to refuel jets in BF2?

Refuel no, but just in case you're including rearming ammo under refuel as an umbrella word, yes you did have to reload bombs and cannon ammo. Although people usually just flew back to reload immediately after dropping bombs and never ran out of cannon ammo.

GoodRevrnd
08-10-2011, 06:23 PM
If I had to guess, I would say that jets will carry dumb bombs or rockets standard, and then the choice between "Mavericks" or air to air missiles. IF there is laser designation, either it will work with the bombs and the Mavericks will self guide, or the bombs will be dumbfire and the mavericks laser designated.

I would hope laser designation wouldn't be an auto-hit tool, but if it were to provide some degree of error correction (such as for slowly moving targets) that would be awesome. I'd like to see it useful with Mavericks and laser guided bombs.

maniacalpha1-1
08-10-2011, 06:39 PM
I would hope laser designation wouldn't be an auto-hit tool, but if it were to provide some degree of error correction (such as for slowly moving targets) that would be awesome. I'd like to see it useful with Mavericks and laser guided bombs.

You mean you hope it's not auto lock like tracers? I was hoping it would work just like the BC2 UAV, meaning if the laser moves before it hits the missile would change course.

GoodRevrnd
08-10-2011, 06:46 PM
You mean you hope it's not auto lock like tracers? I was hoping it would work just like the BC2 UAV, meaning if the laser moves before it hits the missile would change course.

Ya that's what I want too, laser needs to stay pointed at target all the way until a hit. Definitely no dumb tracer action. But I also don't want Mavericks pulling crazy turns either and bombs should still require they be dropped from a relatively appropriate area/heading.

Josh123
08-11-2011, 09:37 AM
Recon is going to be my favorite class I think. It's so much fun making your way behind the lines and doing recon for the team. :)

GullyFoyle
08-11-2011, 10:49 AM
New Battlefield Blog Post: Battleblog #6: Building the Game From the Gun Out (http://blogs.battlefield.ea.com/battlefield_bad_company/archive/2011/08/11/battleblog-6-building-the-game-from-the-gun-out.aspx)

by HBrun
Posted Aug 11, 2011, 12:0AM

http://battlefieldo.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/BF3-Battleblog-6.jpg-550x0.jpg

Every Battlefield game is built from the gun out. If persistance is what keeps you coming back for more, the gunplay is the essential foundation that the entire game hinges on. Read on for Senior Designer Alan Kertz' thought on what makes shooting in Battlefield 3 unique.

Tweaking, testing, and re-tweaking the weapons in Battlefield 3 is the short description of a normal work day for Senior Designer Alan Kertz at this stage in the production. Now that we are well into August, Alan's work has long since gone from overarching shooter vision to detailed fine-tuning. Walk down to his desk at any given day and you are likely going to find him poring over notes or some onscreen graphs, deep in discussion with his designer colleagues:

Is the exit smoke from this RPG large enough? Is the precision increase when adding a heavy barrel to this rifle noticeable enough in semi-burst fire mode? How does the addition of a foregrip to this rifle affect the stability when firing in fully automatic mode?

-- Authenticity is really important when you’re doing a modern day game like Battlefield 3. We know our players look critically at the guns in our games, so we brought in experts like Andy McNab. Our military advisors not only help us get it right, they help us understand why it’s right."

Compared to Battlefield 2 and Battlefield Bad Company 2, there is a larger focus in Battlefield 3 on authenticity and real life handling. This comes down to details like reloads, mobility, bullet trajectories, and even how the caliber and the barrel length of a gun determines muzzle velocity and energy. For Alan, this approach clearly leads tio better gameplay.

-- With authenticity as a base, you get a natural balance because all real life guns are based on trade-offs. It really pulls out the personality of each weapon system to use the authentic stats and features. Each army selects a different weapon, for a different reason, and we pass those selections on to our
players."

Varied weapons for all play styles
The arsenals of U.S. Marine Corps and the Russian Army are both featured prominently in the game, since those are the sides you play in both single and multiplayer. Building from that base, we selected a number of additional weapons that are returning classics, competing designs, and alternate combat roles. Each weapon choice means it gives the player an additional tactical choice: Get in close with a carbine, PDW, or shotgun. Hit from long range with a sniper rifle. Engage tanks with an RPG. Or lay down suppressive fire with a light machinegun.

We’re not just giving you weapon A or B, take it or leave it, though. Each main weapon will be heavily customizable to suit different roles. The majority
of weapons in Battlefield 3 can be tailored by the player to fit anything from close quarter to long range combat, or something in between. But we’ll save that for a later Battleblog post, when we will go deep into weapons customization.

Stay tuned for Battlefield 3 Battleblog #7 soon

Tripwir3
08-11-2011, 02:40 PM
Confirmed: Origin required to play BF3

http://bf3blog.com/2011/08/origin-required-to-play-battlefield-3/

maniacalpha1-1
08-11-2011, 03:21 PM
I don't mind if Origin is required to play. However, there are some rumors that your BF3 name will be your Origin name. Surely that's not true, that would be insane.

Zargon
08-11-2011, 04:12 PM
well origin is tied to all my other EA accounts and lets me pick which one to display I think

GoodRevrnd
08-11-2011, 04:33 PM
Bleh super annoying to have to have both battlelog AND origin going to just play the damn game.

minmaster
08-11-2011, 06:32 PM
maybe we can exit origin once we boot up bf3? i heard that was possible on bc2 with origin.

GullyFoyle
08-11-2011, 07:14 PM
twitter.com/pragmatize (http://twitter.com/#!/pragmatize/status/101673781730344961): "@zh1nt0 Will the other preorder exclusives be available at a later date to everyone? The dogtags and outfits I'm referring to."

twitter.com/zh1nt0 (http://twitter.com/#!/zh1nt0/status/101673883916173313): "@pragmatize Not confirmed yet, but the PWP pack is available after 30 days :)"

dyndragon
08-11-2011, 10:21 PM
Confirmed: Origin required to play BF3

http://bf3blog.com/2011/08/origin-required-to-play-battlefield-3/

well, that settles why it won't be on steam.

Zargon
08-12-2011, 08:46 AM
Planet Battlefield

64 player Battlefield 3 multiplayer at Gamescom - http://bit.ly/ppMYJZ #BF3

also found a sweet casemod for BF3 on twitter via @christinacoffin RT

jesper skoog

nice case! http://bit.ly/ojtYVs #bf3

Zargon
08-12-2011, 12:28 PM
Take a close look at two more screenshots, "COMPANY" and "GUNNER"! http://bit.ly/kA2BBI #BF3

blocked at work

maniacalpha1-1
08-12-2011, 12:38 PM
So, I got a Gun Club 25% off code, went in and tried to buy at origin, entered code and hit apply, no change in price. Anyone else have that happen?

PBat51
08-12-2011, 12:57 PM
So, I got a Gun Club 25% off code, went in and tried to buy at origin, entered code and hit apply, no change in price. Anyone else have that happen?

Yes. Same issue.

maniacalpha1-1
08-12-2011, 12:59 PM
I looked on other forums and some people were saying it doesn't work on preorders, other say it did work. Guess I'll try again later...

M0oG0oGaiPan
08-12-2011, 01:21 PM
damnit, i want a 25% off code :/.

djnsmith7
08-12-2011, 01:41 PM
x2

GoodRevrnd
08-12-2011, 03:36 PM
BF3 not listed at bottom of gun club email for valid discount.

minmaster
08-12-2011, 06:23 PM
it used to work on preorders last month, but i think they stopped allowing that.

PBat51
08-13-2011, 06:16 AM
BF3 not listed at bottom of gun club email for valid discount.

You are correct and thats why it wont work.:'(

FYI they still want to charge me tax on my states tax free weekend and the rep on live chat just cant grasp the concept that they shouldn't be.

Zargon
08-13-2011, 07:36 AM
http://planetbattlefield.gamespy.com/fullstory.php?id=165273

New Battlefield 3 Multiplayer Trailer & Co-op Footage Coming TTuesay [ Comment ] Friday, 12 August, 2011 at 23:48 PST | ^Scott^ | Print News

EuroGamer.cz reports that the Gamescom EA press conference this coming Tuesday (7am PDT) will have a new Battlefield 3 multiplayer trailer and co-op footage. [Translated] When I spoke this afternoon with EA for the finalization of the plan at meetings Gamescomu were very secretive about the content of their presentations. And seeing the evening news arrived from the headquarters of EA, which brings this information directly, and calls for publication to attract readers to monitor the EA press conference. He reported there are several new games, but they remain a secret, so that Syndicate far we have confirmed.

From Battlefield 3 we will see brand new co-operative footage and new multiplayer trailer. EuroGamer.cz (Translated) We have also heard rumors of the following being show at Gamescom:
(PC) 64 player conquest (confirmed) on a large map full of vehicles including jets (PC) Team deathmatch 4v4 on a forest map Co-op on Playstation 3 via Playstation Network

So jets 64 player mp and coop demo confirmed for Tuesday!

sent from my thunderbolt via tapatalk

maniacalpha1-1
08-13-2011, 07:57 AM
Team deathmatch is 4 vs 4 on console? Why? It should still be 12 vs 12 shouldn't? 4 vs 4 is more like squad deathmatch...

Zargon
08-13-2011, 08:42 AM
dunno, it may not be the actual limit, just what they are showing off

KayGee
08-13-2011, 01:48 PM
I received a code from EA for a free copy of either Mass Effect 2, Dead Space 2 or Medal of Honor for pre-ordering BF3 early. I would have preferred access to the alpha, but, I guess this sort of makes up for it.

maniacalpha1-1
08-13-2011, 02:36 PM
I already have ME2, is DS2 worth preordering at full price, lol?

GullyFoyle
08-13-2011, 06:57 PM
DeltaGamer - Battlefield 3 Expectations and Opinions Roundup (http://deltagamer.com/10376/battlefield-3-expectations-and-opinions-roundup)

By Sam van Zoest | August 13, 2011 | Features

With the release date of Battlefield 3 closing in, now seems like a good time to sit down for a moment with some of the most notable and respected people within the Battlefield scene to highlight their views on the hottest topics regarding this game. We gathered people from all around the globe, including fans, site admins, Battlefield veterans, developers and even a marketing analyst to ask them about their expectations, concerns, opinions and views on the upcoming game, as well as the impending war with BF‘s main competitor, Call of Duty.

Daniel Matros

Daniel “zh1nt0″ Matros is the Global Battlefield Community Manager at DICE.

“The development is going very well and the mood in the office is very positive and confident. This is by far, our biggest project ever and with this game, we are innovating the FPS scene in every aspect. All thanks to the talented developers and amazing ideas being pitched around the Studio.”

“For those who played the Alpha Trial, they did notice some things that really makes this an amazing game. The physical feeling of the game as well as through the gun experience and the Frostbite 2 engine are some of my favorites. I could say that some parts of the game will be more successfull than others depending on taste and what I prioritize in a game but then again, I just love the idea behind Battlefield 3. I love the way we´re heading with our design and gameplay choices.”

“I´m very sure people will receive this very well! They´ve been waiting for this game for 6 years and this is the game everyone has been wanting to make as well.”

Scott Dupler

Scott Dupler runs Planet Battlefield, one of the oldest and most respected BF fansites around. His interest in the Battlefield franchise began with the release of BF2, and from that moment he began playing classic Battlefield games like BF1942 as well.

“I don’t really have any concerns about Battlefield 3 at this point, but there is still a lot we haven’t seen. I have faith in DICE and believe they can pull off a great game. I know a lot of the community likes to dwell on little issues here and there, but you have to look at the game as a whole. Play the game, then decide if something is really needed.”

“What I really miss are those large scale battles from Battlefield 2 with 64 players duking it out on a huge map, jets and helicopters overhead and squads pushing up all over the map. The Battlefield 2 demo on Gulf of Oman comes to mind and how much fun that was. I hope Battlefield 3 can bring that back and judging by what we’ve seen so far it has a very good chance.”

“It’s going to be interesting to see what happens in this FPS war between Battlefield and Call of Duty, but I think Battlefield 3 will pull a good amount of CoD fans over to our side. To be honest, I saw MW3 at E3 and it really didn’t look like anything new, although maybe I’m a bit biases.”

Michael Pachter

Michael Pachter is a high-profile gaming research analyst, working for Wedbush Securities. That basically means he is responsible for predicting how much a game is going to sell, informing investors, and a lot more.

“I think the Battlefield/Call of Duty war is a bunch of hype by EA to drive interest in their game. There is no question that BF3 will be a great game, and no question that it will sell millions of units, but that doesn’t necessarily mean that it will take market share from CoD. The FPS category generates around $4 – 5 billion in sales each year, and CoD does around $1 billion, so BF3 can do quite well without causing CoD sales to decline.”

“Battlefield won’t defeat Call of Duty. The former will probably sell 8 million, and could sell 12 million if it is game of the year. The latter will probably sell 20 million, and could sell 16 million if it gets horrible ratings.”

“Only a few will swap from CoD to BF3. Most CoD players will buy the next one for two reasons: 1) they love the Modern Warfare brand; and 2) their friends are all on CoD multiplayer. That makes switching very difficult. If CoD gets bad reviews, it’s possible that more will switch; if it gets great reviews, it’s likely that very few will switch.”

Karl Magnus Troedsson

Karl Magnus Troedsson is the General Manager at DICE. He is a passionate gamer with a thing for motorcycles.

“The team is currently hard at work with polishing all the different pieces of Battlefield 3. It’s busy days for sure! Battlefield 3 is the biggest and most ambitious thing we’ve ever set out to do so naturally there’s a lot of work to be done.”

“Battlefield 3 will innovate on several different levels. Our new game engine called Frostbite 2 enables us to do so many things to improve visuals, animations and lighting etc. But innovation also comes in the form of game design which has evolved over time compared to other Battlefield games. Examples such as bringing back the 64 player maps on PC, having jets in the game, the whole new persistence system and the introduction of the social connectivity with Battlelog will all help us building the best Battlefield game we’ve ever created. We’re also adding fundamental parts such as Team Deathmatch and co-op in order to deepen the experience for more gamers.”

“It’s always hard to foresee what media and gamers out there will think and say about your precious game that everyone worked so hard on. We’re staying close in contact with the community to get feedback though and our confidence is pretty high. We believe we have a great game, a game that we want to play ourselves, and really hope that many others will enjoy it as well.”

“At DICE we’re really focused on shipping the best game we can make. The public slugging between the franchises is not something we spend much time considering. But it will be an interesting autumn for sure!”

Erik Zuuring

Erik “Stadler” Zuuring is the admin of one of the most popular Battlefield sites around, BATTLEFIELDO. He considers himself a long time Battlefield veteran, as he has been with the series all the way from Codename Eagle.

“Personally, I am looking forward to seeing what competitive support DICE gives Battlefield 3. BF2 had a great competitive scene and it would be great to see that come back this fall but in a much more exciting way. I know there is speculation to what support for eSports there will be, but I hope that it is a priority. In my personal opinion, there are two key things that will keep on FPS Community going. That being modding support and/or competitive features. Major League Gaming is at its peak right now with titles such as Starcraft II. If Battlefield 3 provides the support, I have no doubt in my mind that it could easily become the crown of the competitive scene for first person shooters.”

“From what has been shown so far on Battlefield 3, it’s obvious that DICE have been pouring a lot of love into this title. Without breaking my NDA, from my experience playing the game so far, I was blown away. The videos, articles, and screenshots do not do this game justice compared to the physical gameplay. There is nothing to compare it with.”

“And regarding that CoD/BF war: it’s all smoke and mirrors in my opinion. The two games are unique in their own way. Call of Duty is for your quick fix when Battlefield is all about scale battles. The reason why I keep on coming back to Battlefield is how each gameplay experience can be something unique. From inside a packed transport helicopter to rolling in columns of armor support, it’s all there in the sandbox. It’s up to the players to decide what to do with the tools available.”

Chris Anderson

Chris Anderson, also known as redd_dragons, is the admin of the Battlefield community site Don’t Revie Me Bro. He started playing Bad Company 1 on PS3, and later on he branched out to Bad Company 2, 1943 and BF2.

“My biggest concern with BF3 right now is the lack of killcam. When I played it at E3 that was notability lacking. I sincerely hope this will put it in the final release. For it to be a flop it would have to have a broken spawn system and major bugs lasting for weeks after release.”

“My expectations for Battlefield 3 is for it to be a legitimate contender to the Call of Duty series. Meaning that it will have a similar player base and similar sales.”

“My opinion on the BF/CoD war is that it’s all marketing talk. DICE doesn’t care about the “war”, they just want to make the best game possible. I think the marketers make it a bigger deal than it is.”

-Vp-

Dominic, also known as -Vp- used to be a community moderator on the Battlefield Heroes forum, but now he prefers to be “just a fan stalking the developers at DICE on Twitter”. He started playing BF1942 when he was a kid and instantly fell in love with it. Later on, he played a lot of BF2, BF2142, BFH and last but not least Bad Company 2.

“I expect Battlefield 3 to be not just be a great game but something that will shape and set the bar for future FPS titles. So many things start popping in my mind when I’m asked why it’s going to be awesome. The large scale battles we loved from the previous Battlefield series are coming back and with such a beautifully crafted engine, I can’t wait!”

“I do not actually believe that the game will be a flop even if the developers suddenly changed all soldiers into dinosaurs. DICE is known to make great multiplayer games and I believe they will not do something too drastic that will damage their very supporting fan base.”

----------

I would like to thank all the people listed above for their time to share their opinions and expectations. And now it’s your turn guys! What are your expectations, wishes and opinions regarding Battlefield 3?

M0oG0oGaiPan
08-13-2011, 07:09 PM
I already have ME2, is DS2 worth preordering at full price, lol?

some people who got the alpha pre-order deal ended up with 2 free games instead of one. They got the first free code instantly on purchase but then got an email with a 2nd free code.

ImDonly1
08-14-2011, 10:05 AM
If you have a 25% off code and it doesn't work on the pre-order, then do a live chat with an EA rep on the website. Tell them you have a code that doesn't work for BF3. You will get a new one for 20% off or 25% off.

happybelly
08-14-2011, 04:35 PM
If you have a 25% off code and it doesn't work on the pre-order, then do a live chat with an EA rep on the website. Tell them you have a code that doesn't work for BF3. You will get a new one for 20% off or 25% off.

This worked for me. Thanks!

dyndragon
08-14-2011, 04:43 PM
Just to confirm, the birthday coupon code definitely works as well. I just applied mine.

ImDonly1
08-14-2011, 04:49 PM
This worked for me. Thanks!

Did you get a 20% of 25% off coupon?

happybelly
08-14-2011, 05:00 PM
Did you get a 20% of 25% off coupon?

20%, but that's better than 0%.

Stuxnet
08-15-2011, 09:01 AM
Grabbed MoH with my code. Haven't touched SP, but MP isn't half bad. Guns need more recoil, but it's fun and exciting. Sounds is awesome.

GullyFoyle
08-15-2011, 01:04 PM
New Battlefield Blog Post: Battlefield 3 Ready to Rock Gamescom (http://blogs.battlefield.ea.com/battlefield_bad_company/archive/2011/08/15/battlefield-3-ready-to-rock-gamescom.aspx)

BY: HBrun POSTED : Aug 15, 2011, 12:00AM

http://blogs.battlefield.ea.com/resized-image.ashx/__size/350x0/__key/CommunityServer.Blogs.Components.WeblogFiles/battlefield_5F00_bad_5F00_company/GC_5F00_2011_5F00_Liu.jpg
As Producer Patrick Liu puts the final touches to the setup in one of our booths, we are counting down the hours to a great week of gaming.

Stay tuned for all the latest Battlefield 3 news from GamesCom.

Battlefield 3 is live at the GamesCom show in Cologne, and we're here to follow the success of GDC with the Fault Line mission and E3 this July, when we let gamers experience first-hand the ever-changing multiplayer map Operation Métro.

Tomorrow (August 16), we kickstart one of the largest game shows in the world with an action-packed EA press conference that is sure to please any fans of Battlefield. After that, five glorious days of gaming ensue. Starting Wednesday at 09:00AM, the floodgates open and our fans will be able to play Battlefield 3 in one of the largest setups we have ever taken to the road.

Be sure to check back here on the Battlefield blog for daily updates, photos, video summaries of the bustle from the show floor, and more. And for the very latest in everything Battlefield, remember to follow us on Twitter and Facebook.

Game on!

Tripwir3
08-15-2011, 02:13 PM
Grabbed MoH with my code. Haven't touched SP, but MP isn't half bad. Guns need more recoil, but it's fun and exciting. Sounds is awesome.

I also picked MoH and is not that bad after all the patches. In fact, I haven't gone back to BC2 after getting MoH.

GullyFoyle
08-15-2011, 04:19 PM
http://i.imgur.com/Z7AYw.jpg
So true...

twitter.com/zh1nt0 (http://twitter.com/#!/zh1nt0/status/103184004135653376): "Many of your community questions will be answered during my livestream with @gustavhalling"

twitter.com/zh1nt0 (http://twitter.com/#!/zh1nt0/status/103185348124872704): "Will give out the link later but the time is from the 18th to the 20th of june 11:40 - 12:10."

Stuxnet
08-15-2011, 04:34 PM
I also picked MoH and is not that bad after all the patches. In fact, I haven't gone back to BC2 after getting MoH.

Me either. It's basically BC2 without the vehicles, better hitboxes, and a lot more "punch" to the feel.

Dice still loves putting too much clutter in their maps, but I'm liking the game.

maniacalpha1-1
08-15-2011, 06:10 PM
So true...

twitter.com/zh1nt0 (http://twitter.com/#!/zh1nt0/status/103184004135653376): "Many of your community questions will be answered during my livestream with @gustavhalling"

twitter.com/zh1nt0 (http://twitter.com/#!/zh1nt0/status/103185348124872704): "Will give out the link later but the time is from the 18th to the 20th of june 11:40 - 12:10."

Do you really think we'll get substantial answers this time?

Also, judging from Gustav Halling's quickly deleted tweet from a few days ago where he said people who didn't like 3D spotting needed to play hardcore...you need a 3rd picture that says if no commo rose and 3D spotting isn't fixed, EA UK forums would be a huge crater, not just flattened, lol.

GoodRevrnd
08-15-2011, 06:45 PM
I just don't understand why they're so resistant to commo rose. If it's "too complicated" then just use the BC2 system by default and enable commo rose w/ a check box in options. Everyone's happy.

GullyFoyle
08-15-2011, 06:52 PM
Livestream QnA 18th - 20th of August! (http://forums.electronicarts.co.uk/battlefield-3/1416735-livestream-qna-18th-20th-august.html)

Hello Ladies and Gentlemen!

You´re welome to join me and Gustav Halling on a livestream at 11:40 from the 18th to the 20th of August live from Gamescom!

Other than that, I will use my iphone filming skillz0rz to bring you updates on what´s being done, said and what is going on over at gamescom

The EAUK has a very special place in a very black and cold part of my heart but since we love you with a lot of passion, we will do our best to answer your questions :)

Will post linkz0r l8tr :)

Not dodging questions. Will do my best to answer them

The persian empire was huge and introduced a lot of innovation into the world. See any paralells here

"Originally Posted by XslaneyX
+1

Now is your chance to show this persian empire...... i mean EAUK bf3 community the true power of DICE and the answers you hold "

No ducking questions.

No PSD´s since we´re not giving them out.

Gamescom IS a community event.

And, if anyone from the forums makes it to gamescom, drop by the community lounge. You´re all invited

M0oG0oGaiPan
08-15-2011, 07:08 PM
Maybe they moving away from commo rose to get everyone to start using voice comm. Kind of makes sense. Commo rose is kind of outdated. I find it kind of distracting when comm messages are playing when I'm so used to listening for audio cues. The arrows on top of your teammates heads is equally annoying. I don't know why they had to have an icon above every one of your teammates in the alpha. In BC2 I've switched primarily to HC so I don't really think there should be a radar at all either. Take radar away and spotting imho. Make people call out spots. The exception being if you toss out a motion sensor or there's a uav above.

GoodRevrnd
08-15-2011, 07:22 PM
I don't want to be on voice comms with 31 other people I don't know, and neither does anyone else. Squad? Fine. But it's much easier to be able to relay simple orders and requests globally without trying to talk over a bunch of other people doing the same thing and yelling about jacking their helicopter and screaming out enemy positions.

M0oG0oGaiPan
08-15-2011, 07:28 PM
Why not have a different button for voice comm with squad/team/all? Or they can do the Killing Floor thing where you can have more than one channel in the game.

maniacalpha1-1
08-15-2011, 07:30 PM
Entire team VOIP simply won't work, it just won't. I'd say the top candidates for other than squad VOIP would be Proximity, or a squad leaders' channel.