PDA

View Full Version : How fast should an SSD boot Windows?

Doggiedog
01-12-2011, 12:50 PM
I was under the impression that Windows would load up in about 5 seconds. I think I am getting about 30 seconds for Window 7 x64 on my Corsair F120.

I just built a new rig from scratch coming from a C2D E6600 so I'm still tweaking everything. I'd just like to know if this is about normal for an SSD. My WEI is 7.7.

COPOHawk
01-12-2011, 01:11 PM
My setup takes longer in BIOS than it does to boot Windows...maybe 30 sec total.

Of course, I have the SSD, 4 hard drives, a floppy drive and two DVD drives...I should be thankful it doesn't take longer ;)

Viper GTS
01-12-2011, 01:13 PM
Disk speed can only help so much, there are lots of things during the boot process that take how long they take and there is nothing you can do to shorten it.

Thirty seconds sounds about right, and in line with two of my SSD equipped systems (one of which is a 2500k with a F120).

Viper GTS

Doggiedog
01-12-2011, 01:29 PM
Ah OK.

Thanks!

Nothinman
01-12-2011, 03:19 PM
Yea a friend was testing out his new build here at work with his SSD and he had Ubuntu installed which did boot in ~6s after POST was finished, but Windows still took upwards of 30s or more to actually be usable. You may be able to get that down a bit, but not very much just because of the time it takes Windows services to start.

Emulex
01-12-2011, 03:48 PM
7s with hardware-state caching on win7
6s for OSX

most of the time its the hardware checks that slow things down like ram check, new hardware check, raid init timeout, etc.

don't get so hungup - you should only need to boot like once a week or so.

Voo
01-12-2011, 03:48 PM
You may be able to get that down a bit, but not very much just because of the time it takes Windows services to start.
Yeah, so you can just change some services to delayed start. Also worth to look what stuff gets auto started (lots of software puts itself there if you aren't careful~), but all in all a ubuntu install will still be a good bit faster, especially on lower end CPUs.

sygyzy
01-12-2011, 05:29 PM
12-15 seconds for my system.

notty22
01-12-2011, 05:32 PM
On my machine it reports 34-36 seconds most times. 20 of it, is bios.

taltamir
01-12-2011, 05:38 PM
just an FYI, while an SSD will not be all that great for boot speed as explained here by others, it greatly improves a variety of other performance metrics.
Game level/texture loading for example.

faxon
01-12-2011, 05:55 PM
just an FYI, while an SSD will not be all that great for boot speed as explained here by others, it greatly improves a variety of other performance metrics.
also browser performance, especially if you use a large webcache of pages you have previously viewed, and a variety of productivity and creativity apps that use a lot of disk

Doggiedog
01-12-2011, 08:03 PM

I had to switch my Steam folder over from the SSD to a RAID drive. My 120GB SSD was getting filled too quickly.

taltamir
01-12-2011, 08:05 PM
I had to switch my Steam folder over from the SSD to a RAID drive. My 120GB SSD was getting filled too quickly.

only install to the SSD the games that need it.

Doggiedog
01-12-2011, 08:21 PM
only install to the SSD the games that need it.

Can you do that with Steam?

VirtualLarry
01-12-2011, 08:28 PM
I noticed that a desktop quad-core with SSD, only booted 2 sec faster than my dual-core laptop with a 5400RPM magnetic drive. Both with Win7 64-bit Home Premium.

taltamir
01-12-2011, 08:34 PM
Can you do that with Steam?

not easily. you would have to set virtual paths. or install fewer games.
any other source of games lets you chose your install directory.

DominionSeraph
01-12-2011, 08:55 PM
Upgrade to XP?

thescreensavers
01-12-2011, 08:59 PM
My 2.5 year old laptop with the 60gb vertex 2 cold boots in 24sec. Bios inilization and loading until the os takes the majority of the time

Zap
01-12-2011, 09:50 PM
I was under the impression that Windows would load up in about 5 seconds.

You got it backwards. It isn't a 5 second boot. It is saving 5 seconds on boot. :)

Actually, the boot time doesn't tell the whole story. How quickly after the Windows desktop comes up can you do... stuff? For instance, as soon as you see the Windows desktop, try opening your web browser right away. Now, try it on a system with a HDD. Now do you notice a difference? ;)

And yeah, how long it takes Windows to boot is nothing. My X58 motherboard takes just as long to POST and stuff before Windows even starts to load. :(

Rifter
01-12-2011, 09:55 PM
My brand new intel 120GB boots in 5-6 seconds after selecting windows from my boot loader, so obviously that doesnt count the time the BIOS/POST takes.

Doggiedog
01-12-2011, 10:28 PM
You got it backwards. It isn't a 5 second boot. It is saving 5 seconds on boot. :)

Actually, the boot time doesn't tell the whole story. How quickly after the Windows desktop comes up can you do... stuff? For instance, as soon as you see the Windows desktop, try opening your web browser right away. Now, try it on a system with a HDD. Now do you notice a difference? ;)

And yeah, how long it takes Windows to boot is nothing. My X58 motherboard takes just as long to POST and stuff before Windows even starts to load. :(

Ah! I got oversold and under-delivered!!

Things do seem quicker but I'm coming from a 3YO C2D E6600 to a SB 2600K.

hal2kilo
01-12-2011, 10:56 PM
40 seconds with my Vostro 1700 powered by a T9300, with the boot GUI turned off and both processors turned on.

Depends on your systems POST, and bios tests. 5 seconds, never happen.

sxr7171
01-13-2011, 01:16 AM
7s with hardware-state caching on win7
6s for OSX

most of the time its the hardware checks that slow things down like ram check, new hardware check, raid init timeout, etc.

don't get so hungup - you should only need to boot like once a week or so.

With the Air it's like once a month and it boots fast.

With Windows I've personally never gotten much faster than 15s after post. But then again I don't know anything about hardware-state caching.

IntelUser2000
01-13-2011, 01:29 AM

Hahaha. Summarized it perfectly.

SSDs boot so fast even POST is sped up. My system boots up fully usable in Windows in 5 seconds from pushing the power button. No joke.

pcslookout
01-13-2011, 04:23 AM
Hahaha. Summarized it perfectly.

SSDs boot so fast even POST is sped up. My system boots up fully usable in Windows in 5 seconds from pushing the power button. No joke.

May you show a video of your system booting up in 5 seconds from pushing the power button please ?

Tsavo
01-13-2011, 05:36 AM
My times, all W7 Home Premium, from cold boot:

My E3200 with WD 640GB Blue: 21s to pass BIOS, 38s to desktop, 1m 06s fully loaded.

Core i5 750 with Samsung F3 500GB: 2m12s from cold boot to fully loaded. Same PC with Intel 120GB SSD

17s to pass BIOS, 37s to desktop, 48s to fully loaded.

I used a WD Black 1TB in the Core i5 machine and it was 2m+ to boot, too.

deimos3428
01-13-2011, 07:17 AM
May you show a video of your system booting up in 5 seconds from pushing the power button please ?
I'm pretty sure he's joking, but there are ways to speed up POST ever so slightly by turning off options in the BIOS. There are also ways to load an "instant-on" OS for surfing in about 5 seconds. (ASUS calls their version Express Gate; other motherboard vendors have similar offerings...)

But yeah, SSDs don't dramatically speed up booting. I had it down to about 30s, but lost a few seconds by moving to a very fast SSD RAID. Darn controller spends a few extra seconds scanning for disks!

JAG87
01-13-2011, 12:21 PM

I can show you a video of mine booting in less than two seconds. And by using the same trick you also have most stuff in your memory still, which makes an HDD almost as fast as an SSD system.

Who the hell cold boots nowadays..... D:

Zap
01-13-2011, 12:40 PM
I can show you a video of mine booting in less than two seconds.

Yeah, S3 sleep.

My wife's current Core i5 rig (soon to be Sandy Bridge) does the same.

The sad thing is that my X58 rig still takes forever to wake from S3 sleep. A cold boot is well over a minute, and waking from S3 is around 15 seconds. :\

Emulex
01-13-2011, 03:21 PM
x58 is a cool chipset though. i have two cpu's (xeon) so it can use ECC and if you don't have xeon's you can use non-ecc. really flexible chipset but you are right it is slower than others.

I think the caching of the hardware features help a ton since it won't check to see if anything has changed so it can streamline the boot process a ton. checking for floppy/boot cd/presence of drives really eats up time. raid kills it too since it may do a staged drive spin-up if you have many drives

Rubycon
01-13-2011, 06:31 PM
I never understood this fascination with boot times. You are not productive if you are constantly booting your computer! :D

Makaveli
01-13-2011, 06:36 PM
5 seconds lol

That's a nice dream.

With post its about 45 seconds on my machine.

Without Post about 15-20seconds.

And Rubycon is correct my machines goes into sleep mode more than I reboot it.

I only reboot for windows updates and or patches which may be once a month.

With windows 7 you shouldn't need to reboot on a regular basis its not windows 98.

Zap
01-13-2011, 07:25 PM
I actually haven't been using S3 sleep that much on my X58 setup because I sometimes get an audio problem after resuming - one channel is dead until power cycle. Doesn't happen all the time, but enough times to be annoying.

MrCoyote
01-13-2011, 07:44 PM
I got the Mushkin Callisto Deluxe 90GB SSD. Windows 7 64bit Ultimate installed in 10 minutes to the drive. Boot time with my Q6600 is BIOS 22sec, and then another 28sec to desktop. But that's because of some background stuff loading and with external RAID drives attached through PCI-e controllers causing slower bios boot time.

Once at the desktop, everything opens pretty much instantly to within a few seconds. This is where the SSD shines. No waiting on a clunky mechanical drive to load up anti-virus and all the other junk. It is pretty much instantly loaded by the time the desktop appears, making the whole system very responsive quickly.

thescreensavers
01-13-2011, 07:46 PM
40 seconds with my Vostro 1700 powered by a T9300, with the boot GUI turned off and both processors turned on.

Depends on your systems POST, and bios tests. 5 seconds, never happen.

I also have the T9300, And as above I get 24 sec with the same settings. What chipset you got?

thescreensavers
01-13-2011, 07:47 PM
I never understood this fascination with boot times. You are not productive if you are constantly booting your computer! :D

... But my machine is better then yours cause it boots faster!

Rubycon
01-13-2011, 07:50 PM
... But my machine is better then yours cause it boots faster!

My smart host takes about 30 seconds from power on to fully loading the kernel. Windows boot takes about seven seconds to the domain validation (desktop screen). From there anything is available with little wait. (read instantly)

I have a quad core i7 notebook with 16GB RAM and a single X25-M 160GB HDD.It is by far a POS in comparison probably due to chipset limitations. It definitely boots to the logon screen faster though. :biggrin:

Makaveli
01-13-2011, 07:52 PM
I actually haven't been using S3 sleep that much on my X58 setup because I sometimes get an audio problem after resuming - one channel is dead until power cycle. Doesn't happen all the time, but enough times to be annoying.

Is that with onboard audio ?

When I first got my rig build I ran into issues with S3 sleep aswell. Where sometimes the machine would just sleep itself before the actual time it was suppose to. Then it wouldn't wake up from sleep until a reboot.

A few bios updates later, windows updates, and some changes in the bios seemed to have resolved most issues. On the rare occasion I might have an issue with it, but it works well enough and I prefer it to shutting down my machine and restarting all the time.

Makaveli
01-13-2011, 07:53 PM
My smart host takes about 30 seconds from power on to fully loading the kernel. Windows boot takes about seven seconds to the domain validation (desktop screen). From there anything is available with little wait. (read instantly)

I have a quad core i7 notebook with 16GB RAM and a single X25-M 160GB HDD.It is by far a POS in comparison probably due to chipset limitations. It definitely boots to the logon screen faster though. :biggrin:

laptop with 16GB's of RAM wow!

Is it by chance an HP?

Rubycon
01-13-2011, 07:53 PM
Oh and regarding S3...

On EVGA boards it's completely borked. Forget about it! :thumbsdown:

laptop with 16GB's of RAM wow!

Is it by chance an HP?

Nope, Asus G73.

thescreensavers
01-13-2011, 07:54 PM
^ The i7 most likely has the ICH10M, many laptops may gimp sata speeds. You can install Crystal Disk info, it can tell you what rate its connected at. But I am going to guess since your have such a high end laptop that it should be wide open :)

The SSD makes things that were quick quicker. you cant really show the speed of an SSD in windows without someone on an HDD doing it at the same time next to you ha.

Rubycon
01-13-2011, 07:56 PM
The notebook was really slow at first (only getting 6.4 in WEI, for example!) but after the new storage drivers came out from Intel it's getting a 7.8 which is on par what those disks get on a desktop system, AHCI.

Tsavo
01-13-2011, 08:02 PM

Not everyone keeps their machines on all the time, or uses S3. And not everyone uses their PC's to be productive.

YOU try finding a stable OC with a PC that takes over two minutes to load W7 to a usable state and you'll recognize that fast boots aren't only fascinating, but necessary to retain one's sanity and to keep the PC from being thrown out the window.

2 min boots: :|

48s boots: :awe:

HeXen
01-13-2011, 08:11 PM
i wonder if theres a way for them to use the GPU to syncronously load and execute stuff? like make Windows GPGPU?
Anyway, supposedly, W8 is shooting for a 10 second bootup time. whether that goal is for ssd or what is anyones guess.

i have the C300...at one point was the fastest SSD in the world. with all my stuff, it takes 24-33 seconds. 13-17 seconds by default and thats using recorded data, not me using a stopwatch or anything Plus all without using Superfetch. was recomended to turn that off when using ssd's.
So no, SSD's are not a super miracle, Windows sucks too bad to be a miracle in anything, but they are much better in general use than any mechanical drive. I even have a Velociraptor and theres a reason it now sits in a drawer somewhere.

I do use S3 on occasion, but half the time i end up having to reboot anyway cause either something wont load right or some other oddball occurance that can't be flushed out into working right without a reboot for some reason.

Rubycon
01-13-2011, 08:27 PM
Not everyone keeps their machines on all the time, or uses S3. And not everyone uses their PC's to be productive.

YOU try finding a stable OC with a PC that takes over two minutes to load W7 to a usable state and you'll recognize that fast boots aren't only fascinating, but necessary to retain one's sanity and to keep the PC from being thrown out the window.

2 min boots: :|

48s boots: :awe:

Of course! That's why if I'm testing something that's crashing or requires the box to be rebooted frequently I switch to a single SSD on AHCI. Typically with just a plain vanilla 7 install it's about 20 seconds from power on to desktop. :)

JAG87
01-13-2011, 09:16 PM
Oh and regarding S3...

On EVGA boards it's completely borked. Forget about it! :thumbsdown:

Nope, Asus G73.

I don't know Ruby, I'm using it and it works pretty damn good. I have no issues what so ever right now. The only couple of issues I had was Caviar Greens not waking up, but I moved those to the server now, and my USB mic not working after resume, but I isolated it to applications accessing DirectSound being left open.

Once you get to know your system, it works like a charm.

Rubycon
01-13-2011, 09:25 PM
EVGA boards used: SR-2 (both A and B revisions), Classified 762 (4way), Classified 759. (original "limited" edition). The 762 is very fussy (read: unusable with my Areca ARC1880ix-24 controllers).

The last time I tried S3 on the 762 was a more simple configuration - just a single SSD on AHCI. It sleeps, the power light (using the front panel controller) changes to green but the fans stay running. It will wake normally.

On my Asus boards they do go to sleep - completely off just the power light flashing like a traffic light when it's out of service. Touching the mouse brings it back on. Of course with systems running RAID controllers there is a good 30 seconds before the locked desktop is visible. Kind of defeats the purpose of quick recovery! :D

I really don't mind S3 not working as the systems are running 24/7.

hal2kilo
01-13-2011, 09:57 PM
I also have the T9300, And as above I get 24 sec with the same settings. What chipset you got?

Intel Mobile 965 Express (relatively slow FSB and memory)

thescreensavers
01-13-2011, 10:31 PM
Intel Mobile 965 Express (relatively slow FSB and memory)

Thought so(since we have a Centrino compatible CPU), Now here is the harder part, Do you have the P, Q , or G model?

I have The P965.

The G and Q models do not have a dedicated video card attached, so if you have a GPU you most likely have the P.

On Other forums, Dell and Levono specifically had killed the Sata buss speed from II to I for battery saving reasons

Download "Crystal Disk Info" which will show you (THIS (http://img88.imageshack.us/img88/9981/fawkyess.png)) Transfer mode is what you want to look at. As you see my 300gb drive is at "SATA/300"

Also I used Everest to show which chipset I have (Screen (http://img638.imageshack.us/img638/3545/thuis.jpg)) CPUZ can also show this info

Also our CPU's are locked in to 800mhz FSB. I installed DDR2-800 (http://detonator.dynamitedata.com/cgi-bin/redirect.pl?user=u00000687&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.amazon.com%2FCorsair-Memory-VS2GSDS800D2-PC2-6400-200-pin%2Fdp%2FB001VNMSCS) ram but my bios limits it to 600 :(

hal2kilo
01-13-2011, 11:05 PM
Thought so(since we have a Centrino compatible CPU), Now here is the harder part, Do you have the P, Q , or G model?

I have The P965.

The G and Q models do not have a dedicated video card attached, so if you have a GPU you most likely have the G.

On Other forums, Dell and Levono specifically had killed the Sata buss speed from II to I for battery saving reasons

Download "Crystal Disk Info" which will show you (THIS (http://img88.imageshack.us/img88/9981/fawkyess.png)) Transfer mode is what you want to look at. As you see my 300gb drive is at "SATA/300"

Also I used Everest to show which chipset I have (Screen (http://img638.imageshack.us/img638/3545/thuis.jpg)) CPUZ can also show this info

Also our CPU's are locked in to 800mhz FSB. I installed DDR2-800 (http://detonator.dynamitedata.com/cgi-bin/redirect.pl?user=u00000687&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.amazon.com%2FCorsair-Memory-VS2GSDS800D2-PC2-6400-200-pin%2Fdp%2FB001VNMSCS) ram but my bios limits it to 600 :(

Have the Invidia 8600 M graphics module, so I think it's probably a G also. Yea, thought about upgrading to faster memory, but discovered that 667 was the limit. I love my dual drive laptop but I wish it did have a faster chipset. I have Set FSB, but I can't seem to find out what the clock generator hardware is and have gotten hints that this Vostro is locked anyway. All in all though, not being a gamer, it does everything I want it to and I'm broadband bound at 7 meg on a good day anyway.

see my OP
http://forums.anandtech.com/showpost.php?p=31043653&postcount=1

fuzzymath10
01-13-2011, 11:43 PM
My laptop (D630 and has 965 with IGP) boots faster than my desktop by some margin. Its bios is very quick so from pushing power button I count about 20s. Also probably because laptops may not have as much stuff to initialize, which can take painfully long.

DominionSeraph
01-14-2011, 01:15 AM
Welcome to 2002.

http://img138.imageshack.us/img138/8132/boottrace.jpg
http://img716.imageshack.us/img716/7638/12506850.jpg

Single-core Northwood Celeron 2.4GHz. (128K L2 cache) 133MHz DDR.

thescreensavers
01-14-2011, 01:27 AM
Have the Invidia 8600 M graphics module, so I think it's probably a G also. Yea, thought about upgrading to faster memory, but discovered that 667 was the limit. I love my dual drive laptop but I wish it did have a faster chipset. I have Set FSB, but I can't seem to find out what the clock generator hardware is and have gotten hints that this Vostro is locked anyway. All in all though, not being a gamer, it does everything I want it to and I'm broadband bound at 7 meg on a good day anyway.

see my OP
http://forums.anandtech.com/showpost.php?p=31043653&postcount=1

Slight typo in what I wrote

The G and Q models do not have a dedicated video card attached, so if you have a GPU you most likely have the P. Can you confirm with CPU-Z? In the mainboard tab

Yea none of the Software CPU overclockers work, I tried my self. I did manage to gain 400 points in 3Dmark06 with a GPU Over clocker, it helped me play crysis a bit better, gained a bit so from high teens in really going on stuff, to low 20s.

Is your BIOS by Insyde?

My laptop (D630 and has 965 with IGP) boots faster than my desktop by some margin. Its bios is very quick so from pushing power button I count about 20s. Also probably because laptops may not have as much stuff to initialize, which can take painfully long.

I believe one of the people complaining was with the D630, are your drives in Sata II mode?

Brunnis
01-14-2011, 02:49 AM
It takes roughly 9 seconds for my X25-M G2 80GB from the point when Windows 7 starts loading until I reach the login screen. From there to a usable desktop, it takes another 2 seconds or so.

I'd say that the Windows loading time is upwards twice as fast as a mechanical drive. However, due to the BIOS taking a good long while to complete its tasks, complete boot times won't improve nearly as much.

Zap
01-14-2011, 10:47 AM
Is that with onboard audio ?

Yes it is.

I'll just live with it for now. Too many other things on my plate, like upgrading my wife's rig, building a gaming rig for someone I know, upgrading my HTPC so someone else can buy the mobo/proc, driving across the country to deliver a car, visiting family, finding a job, grabbing lunch with a friend today... not necessarily in that order. :\

On my Asus boards they do go to sleep - completely off just the power light flashing like a traffic light when it's out of service. Touching the mouse brings it back on. Of course with systems running RAID controllers there is a good 30 seconds before the locked desktop is visible. Kind of defeats the purpose of quick recovery! :D

Ahhh, maybe that's why my Asus P6T takes forever to wake from S3? Even though I'm not actually running RAID at this moment, RAID is enabled in BIOS. Also, I have six drives (1x SSD, 3x HDD, 2x ODD).

HeXen
01-14-2011, 12:00 PM
most of the Asus boards i had never did sleep well. some not at all or would wake during the night on its own. my last one would just blank the screen then go back to desktop, latest bios. my current MSI sleeps just as it should.

Doggiedog
01-14-2011, 09:58 PM
I just timed my boot up and the bios was 15 seconds. The Win 7 startup time was 1 minute for a total time of 1:15. That seems very slow to me. I just tweaked everything too.

jjmIII
01-14-2011, 10:02 PM
Mine was trying to boot before I installed it!

DominionSeraph
01-14-2011, 10:22 PM
I just timed my boot up and the bios was 15 seconds. The Win 7 startup time was 1 minute for a total time of 1:15. That seems very slow to me. I just tweaked everything too.

Considering that Win7 is supposed to be faster than Vista, and Vista'll boot in under a minute off an old 150GB Raptor with an X2 5200+, I'd say that's slow.

What SSD and processor?

thescreensavers
01-14-2011, 11:48 PM

Is your SSD running in IDE mode? How about SATA I mode?

Castiel
01-15-2011, 12:00 AM
13 seconds for mine

Doggiedog
01-15-2011, 12:57 AM
Considering that Win7 is supposed to be faster than Vista, and Vista'll boot in under a minute off an old 150GB Raptor with an X2 5200+, I'd say that's slow.

What SSD and processor?

Corsair F120, SB 2600K @4.4Ghz, Asus P8P67 Deluxe HD5870

I went to the OCZ tech forum and did all of the tweaks recommended there. I turned off indexing, enabled TRIM, etc. I do have 4 other HDDs in the rig. 2x1.5TB RAID and 2x 1TB SATA and a SATA DVD-R. The SSD sits on its own SATA 6 port on AHCI. There's nothing else on the other SATA 6 port.

Edit: And one last thing. I ran the WEI and my drive rating went down. It used to be 7.8 and went to 7.7. Strangely my CPU went from 7.7 to 7.8.

jiffylube1024
01-15-2011, 12:24 PM

What SSD and processor?

It all depends on how many programs you have installed that need to load when you boot, etc.
------------

So many people consider boot time the time from button press until the Windows desktop loads, but, having tested boot times extensively on laptops and desktops using SSD's, HDD's and Momentus XT's, there's a bit more to it than that.

Many people don't count the time it takes for all programs to load, such as the Gadget bar and all programs in the clock tray. On HDD's, loading everything in the startup folder can take anywhere from a few seconds (fresh Windows install) to 30 seconds to over a minute (a typical hard drive with lots of programs installed).

Most SSD's will load all of these startup programs in 5-10 seconds because of their awesome random read speed. Similarly, a Momentus XT hybrid hard drive more than cuts these startup program load times in half.

----------

When I first got my first SSD, I was also underwhelmed with the boot times when you compare button press to Windows screen times. But this is because things like BIOS screen loads don't change, and because when Windows shows up, it's not the end of loading.

taltamir
01-15-2011, 12:46 PM
So many people consider boot time the time from button press until the Windows desktop loads, but, having tested boot times extensively on laptops and desktops using SSD's, HDD's and Momentus XT's, there's a bit more to it than that.

If you measure the time from the "button press" then the HDD/SSD speed only matters during a small portion of your entire boot process. A good portion of it is the BIOS booting up (Its not just POST).

Google has been working on firmware aspects of laptops to make them do that part much, much faster for its upcoming chromeOS.

Makaveli
01-15-2011, 12:51 PM
This is true alot of people post boot time without making a clear indication if that is with post or not.

The Bios add quite abit of time to the boot process. On average with ssd's you are looking at 15-20sec boots without post but all boards are different.

Doggiedog
01-15-2011, 01:41 PM
I don't have much loading as my system is brand new. I did add 4 gadgets (weather, traffic, calendar and moon phase). I'll need to look into this some more. I ran some tests and I was getting 250Mbps on the SSD, 203Mbps on RAID and 105Mbps for my other SATA drives.

Emulex
01-15-2011, 04:55 PM
OSX compresses the hiberfil while windows doesn't. But really why not just hibernate? is there really a need to reboot? with citrix/vmware/etc - desktop virtualization will not need a reboot much. Linux even has the ability (not all cases) to upgrade the kernel without a reboot or modules.

Compared to a hard drive - ssd makes life awesome! i used to spend so much time staring at the hard drive light. no more!!

hal2kilo
01-15-2011, 07:19 PM
It all depends on how many programs you have installed that need to load when you boot, etc.
------------

Many people don't count the time it takes for all programs to load, such as the Gadget bar and all programs in the clock tray. On HDD's, loading everything in the startup folder can take anywhere from a few seconds (fresh Windows install) to 30 seconds to over a minute (a typical hard drive with lots of programs installed).

Most SSD's will load all of these startup programs in 5-10 seconds because of their awesome random read speed. Similarly, a Momentus XT hybrid hard drive more than cuts these startup program load times in half.

----------

When I first got my first SSD, I was also underwhelmed with the boot times when you compare button press to Windows screen times. But this is because things like BIOS screen loads don't change, and because when Windows shows up, it's not the end of loading.

Yea, when I say my Vostro's boot takes 40 seconds that's with all the programs loaded and the HD led indications quite.

memory
01-15-2011, 07:26 PM
On my system, from the time I hit the power button and fully usable, it takes about 1 minute. What kind of improvement would I see with an SSD?

Emulex
01-15-2011, 08:27 PM
huge performance gains dude. i have the x58 chipset with two nehalem cpu's and its night and day. once you go ssd you will never be able to use hard drive again.

went from a single 640gb to a single ssd and boot times are 10x faster, i can use CS5 photoshop for image preview (even with measly 6gb of ram) and its so damn fast what took 10 seconds to load before takes 2 seconds (with no ram caching).

now if you raid two ssd's you get even more performance. no shock issues, less noise, more power consumption (odd, but i see this), and i can put the ssd to sleep instantly without the spin-up time penalty of hard drive.

full a/v scans take 14 minutes instead of 1.5 hours; backups take 30 minutes over network instead of 1.5 hours (full daily compressed images). updates are far faster.

I can schedule an AV scan and Backup at the same time and have the machine done in 30 minutes and back to sleep where as before my policy (daily full av scans and daily full image backups) would run sequentially and take hours. this converts to energy spent.

IMO you are seriously crippling your setup by using hard drives for the core o/s drive. Keep the hard drives for mass storage.

you can get a cheap 64gb (55 usable) sandforce for $98 (amazon s599/microcenter g2) and give it a shot - if you don't like what you see - return it.

But with a fresh windows 7 install (or osx or *nix) you will see mad gains in usability all over the place.

It is by far the best bang for buck mod these days. Well than and the 3x4gb for $129 (fry's) - that would help alot too going to 12gb. but then you have ginourmous hibernation file and iirc windows doesn't compress that file like the mac's.

Just do it! :) then let us know what you think

poohbear
01-15-2011, 09:51 PM
after the bios screen (i.e. once i see the Windows logo) it takes about 10-13sec. just fyi the BIOS has nothing to do w/ the SSD, its the mobo running that.

HeXen
01-16-2011, 01:36 PM
i use event logs. plenty of apps that will show easily what the actual Windows boot time is. Stardock's tweak7 is the easiest and fastest to read and includes complete history and how long each part takes. You then have to average it cuase its never the same time each bootup.

the bios boot time is irrelevant to the OS or hardware performance.