PDA

View Full Version : Hershey cant legally call their products milk chocolate due to cheaper ingredients

JEDI
10-09-2010, 05:45 PM
Wiki:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chocolate

"In 2007, the Chocolate Manufacturers Association in the United States, whose members include Hershey, Nestlé, and Archer Daniels Midland, lobbied the Food and Drug Administration to change the legal definition of chocolate to let them substitute partially hydrogenated vegetable oils for cocoa butter in addition to using artificial sweeteners and milk substitutes.

Currently, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) does not allow a product to be referred to as "chocolate" if the product contains any of these ingredients"

http://dine.racoma.com.ph/thoughts/hersheys-mockolate-hersheys-chocolate-no-more-i-felt-so-betrayed/

"In September 2008, MSNBC reported that several Hershey chocolate products were reformulated to replace cocoa butter with vegetable oil."

"As the new versions no longer meet the Food and Drug Administration’s definition of “milk chocolate”, the changed items were relabeled from stating they were “milk chocolate” to “chocolate candy” and “chocolaty.” :o

Cliffs:
- Hershey's replaced cocoa butter with vegetable oil to cut costs.
- New formula no longer meets FDA definition of "Milk chocolate"
- Now they call their products “chocolate candy” and “chocolaty”
- Hershey’s Kisses, Hershey’s Bar, Kissables, Mr. Goodbar, Krackel, etc
- Hershey’s Kissables Milk Chocolate is now called Hershey’s Kissables Chocolate Candy

I cant believe they went ahead w/the change in formula w/o the FDA changing it's rules.

A bigger thing i cant believe is that the FDA didnt change the rules under lobbying by the big corporate giants. I thought it would be rubber stamped.
After all 2007 was still ruled by Bush and his croonies where big business > people.

zinfamous
10-09-2010, 05:47 PM
roflsocks.

it never was chocolate, so then they make the recipe worse to make it even less-chocolate?

hahahahaha

Hayabusa Rider
10-09-2010, 05:48 PM
It's been junk since they've left Hershey PA

Marlin1975
10-09-2010, 05:48 PM
Good. Hersheys stopped making good chocolate a long time ago. Even their chocolate syrup uses corn syrup now and is awful.

It's been junk since they've left Hershey PA

I think it started to go downhill even before that. But that was another major downturn as well.

theflyingpig
10-09-2010, 05:58 PM
I don't care what they call them, or who suffers to make them. All that matters to me is that their products are cheap and taste good. Everyone knows this.

techs
10-09-2010, 06:00 PM
http://www.hersheys.com/products/details/hersheysbar.asp

Their website still calls it a Milk Chocolate bar.

Bateluer
10-09-2010, 06:00 PM
Hmm, guess I'll be paying more attention to the labeling on 'chocolate' products now.

Edit - Lolz at the OP's political jab though.

Marlin1975
10-09-2010, 06:02 PM
http://www.hersheys.com/products/details/hersheysbar.asp

Their website still calls it a Milk Chocolate bar.

I think the solid bars are still milk chocolate, but bars like snickers and such are not.

See here, this has a Chocolate coating...
http://www.hersheys.com/products/details/fifthavenue.asp

lxskllr
10-09-2010, 06:02 PM
I've always been a fan of Hershey products. They're the best American "gas station" candy imo. I prefer European extra dark chocolate when I eat that kind of thing, but a Hershey bar still makes me happy.

Anubis
10-09-2010, 06:08 PM
I don't care what they call them, or who suffers to make them. All that matters to me is that their products are cheap and taste good. Everyone knows this.

holy shit hes actually correct for once

techs
I think the solid bars are still milk chocolate, but bars like snickers and such are not.

See here, this has a Chocolate coating...
http://www.hersheys.com/products/details/fifthavenue.asp

Well, at least they are not these:
United States military chocolate
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_military_chocolate

btw it will be interesting to see if this story gets any traction and if it hurts sales for this Halloween.
I wonder if Mars is doing the same thing.

Oh, btw, the original law stipulating what must be in a chocolate bar to be called Milk Chocolate was conceived and lobbied for by Hersheys to keep its competitors from making cheaper chocolate bars (read this in The Chocolate Wars book)

guyver01

well.. someone better tell MARS INC then.. since they make Snickers.

http://pics.bbzzdd.com/users/guyver01/snickers.jpg

coldmeat
10-09-2010, 06:09 PM
I bought a 1.75L carton of "chocolate dairy beverage" the other day.

techs
10-09-2010, 06:10 PM

Well his link did lead to a 5th Avenue bar and not a Snickers bar.

Marlin1975
10-09-2010, 06:13 PM

Yes I said LIKE. A bar that is made up of more then just chocolate. Solid chocolate items, LIKE kiss's and such, are usually still milk chocolate.

This is a older story and I think when the FDA did not allow it they had to stick to the orignal formula for solid chocolate items. But mixed bars they went ahead and changed.

BoomerD
10-09-2010, 06:55 PM
Hershey's...the Un-American Chocolaty Bar...

Jadow
10-09-2010, 08:17 PM
as long as it tastes good and people buy it, who cares?

I'm all for them lowering costs, you know they are ULTRA careful about not lowering the quality of their product.

JS80
10-09-2010, 08:42 PM
Wow who gives a flying fuck

guyver01
10-09-2010, 08:47 PM
Wow who gives a flying fuck

Apparently Jedi does.

TonyH
10-09-2010, 08:56 PM

holy shit hes actually correct for once
That's a matter of opinion. I hate chocolate and adding high fructose corn syrup doesn't help it a bit with me.

Mike Gayner
10-09-2010, 09:21 PM
i'm all for them lowering costs, you know they are ultra careful about lowering the quality of their product incrementally so that the foolish US consumer still believes that the crud they're shovelling into their mouths has any semblance to real food.

ftfy.

Zedtom
10-09-2010, 09:43 PM
Cottonseed oil is used in food production, but there are companies in Australia lobbying the government to allow cotton to be used as an ingredient in candy bars. They are saying that it is a good thing for people with wheat allergies. There were rumors that American candy manufacturers were using cotton as an ingredient back in the 1970's, but the drop in sales forced them to eliminate it.

foghorn67
10-09-2010, 10:13 PM
Hershey's hasn't been good in years.

Train
10-09-2010, 10:16 PM
Welcome to the tea party's amerika ka ka

rabbly rabble rabble rabble

america haters

rabble rabble tin foil

Double Trouble
10-09-2010, 10:18 PM
I always knew Hershey's tasted like sugary crap compared to real chocolate, this just confirms the reason.

zerocool84
10-09-2010, 10:19 PM
I always knew Hershey's tasted like sugary crap compared to real chocolate, this just confirms the reason.

Then you must not like chocolate then cus they've been using real chocolate for a LOOOONG time unless you've only ever tasted Hershey's chocolate in a apst few years and never before.

techs
10-09-2010, 11:02 PM
Then you must not like chocolate then cus they've been using real chocolate for a LOOOONG time unless you've only ever tasted Hershey's chocolate in a apst few years and never before.

Hersheys is one of the worst chocolates in the world. Milton Hershey developed his recipe for milk chocolate after months of trial and error. Unlike european chocolate makers he could not figure out how to make milk chocolate without using soured milk. If you eat a Hersheys bar you can still easily identify the soured milk used to make it.
Hersheys has tried to make better tasting chocolate without changing the formula for their classic chocolate bar. Products like Symphony are made without sour milk.

Studies have shown that people tend to like the first type of chocolate they are exposed to. In order for Americans to really appreciate chocolate they need to eat decent chocolate for a while until their expectations of the sour taste of Hersheys is gone.

btw the reason Hersheys wants to change to vegetable oil is the same reason soft drink manufacturers use corn syrup. The US subsidizes these farm products which makes their cost artificially low.

foghorn67
10-09-2010, 11:09 PM
I have to say, about 10 years ago, I toured the Hershey's campus. More like a ride or an attraction, since the factories was a separate tour or not available. I had some chocolate fresh off the press, mint, whatever. It was surprisingly great. Not my favorite, but it was better than anything Hershey that I bought in a store.
If you want a good, entry level chocolate, try Milka. It's a Hershey's subsidiary...but it's made in Germany. They started selling them in Target.

Mike Gayner
10-09-2010, 11:13 PM
IMO if it has dairy added, it's not real chocolate anyway.

Train
10-09-2010, 11:38 PM
IMO if it has dairy added, it's not real chocolate anyway.

eh?

You know real chocolate tastes like shit right? Milk and Sugar are pretty much required to make it edible.

guyver01
10-09-2010, 11:53 PM
http://foodgal.files.wordpress.com/2008/04/ghirardelli.jpg

Ghiradelli > *

except maybe Toblerone..

http://www.gadgetfolder.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/02/toblerone-1.jpg

TraumaRN
10-09-2010, 11:59 PM
Lindt makes some damn fine chocolate as well. Here is one of my current favorites

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4062/4659300226_26f53d232d.jpg

lxskllr
10-10-2010, 12:05 AM
I get Lindt a lot when I buy chocolate, and am somewhere that sells it. I like the chili, and pear the best.

Savarak
10-10-2010, 12:10 AM

http://pics.bbzzdd.com/users/guyver01/snickers.jpg

This one is actually still okay... as its actually still using/listing cocoa butter rather than oil. If they did change to oil rather than real cocoa butter then the ingredient list should change with it and wouldn't be able to be called "milk chocolate"

zerocool84
10-10-2010, 12:12 AM
eh?

You know real chocolate tastes like shit right? Milk and Sugar are pretty much required to make it edible.

Yup real raw chocolate tastes bitter.

Blackjack200
10-10-2010, 12:19 AM
I get Lindt a lot when I buy chocolate, and am somewhere that sells it. I like the chili, and pear the best.

I see their chili chocolate bars at my local garden market, it seemed like such a weird combination to me, but it's good?

IronWing
10-10-2010, 12:26 AM
Good. Hersheys stopped making good chocolate a long time ago. Even their chocolate syrup uses corn syrup now and is awful.

Yep, HFCS.

U-Bet still uses sugar and is quite tasty.

lxskllr
10-10-2010, 12:55 AM
I see their chili chocolate bars at my local garden market, it seemed like such a weird combination to me, but it's good?

The chili's very subtle. It isn't hot or anything. gives the chocolate a bit of a spicy edge, but it isn't that different from dark chocolate.

TraumaRN
10-10-2010, 01:09 AM

Actually chili + chocolate can be amazing. Actually the aztecs would usually add hot chili to their chocolate mixture Sweet/spicy/savory all in one. Quite amazing when done right.

postmortemIA
10-10-2010, 01:16 AM
Hershey sucks compared to any European brand name chocolate ... we Americans don't appreciate good chocolate so it is being imported and not many are enjoying it. American definition of candy is fake colored stuff with lots of sugar.

sandorski
10-10-2010, 01:17 AM
Hersheys is one of the worst chocolates in the world. Milton Hershey developed his recipe for milk chocolate after months of trial and error. Unlike european chocolate makers he could not figure out how to make milk chocolate without using soured milk. If you eat a Hersheys bar you can still easily identify the soured milk used to make it.
Hersheys has tried to make better tasting chocolate without changing the formula for their classic chocolate bar. Products like Symphony are made without sour milk.

Studies have shown that people tend to like the first type of chocolate they are exposed to. In order for Americans to really appreciate chocolate they need to eat decent chocolate for a while until their expectations of the sour taste of Hersheys is gone.

btw the reason Hersheys wants to change to vegetable oil is the same reason soft drink manufacturers use corn syrup. The US subsidizes these farm products which makes their cost artificially low.

Ahh, that's what gives it that taste. I like it, but prefer more Euro styled chocolate.