PDA

View Full Version : Is 8gb enough storage for your smartphone?

ManSnake
09-06-2010, 07:59 PM
The newest phones come with 16gb of storage. But the likes of Evo come with 8gb. Do you find you run out of space with 8gb storage?

rudeguy
09-06-2010, 08:06 PM
my Vibrant has 16 internal

/epeener

I used an 8 gig class 6 SD for a long time on my myTouch. I stream more music than I store, so it was no issue. Now I find myself keeping more junk on my phone since I now have 24 gigs at my disposal.

Maybe I should clean it out right now.

Anubis
09-06-2010, 08:13 PM
to use as a phone: YES

to replace my MP3 player: no

A smart phone would have to have over 100 gigs of storage before it could replace a PMP for me

rudeguy
09-06-2010, 08:16 PM
to use as a phone: YES

to replace my MP3 player: no

A smart phone would have to have over 100 gigs of storage before it could replace a PMP for me

have you tried streaming?

I find that I like the randomness of the streaming apps. Slacker has passed Pandora as my favorite but I have both installed on my phone. Of course I keep a few playlists with 50 or so songs on each for when I know what I want to listen to.

MrX8503
09-06-2010, 08:20 PM
If you use it as just a phone, I think 8GB is enough. Otherwise 16GB is kind of a necessity.

Also remember that Apps cannot be installed on the external memory, it has to be internal. But I think Froyo fixes this issue.

tdawg
09-06-2010, 08:24 PM
My phone is an all-in-one device, so 16gb is a minimum necessity for me. I'd love to have more storage in order to keep more music and movies loaded on the phone for travelling and such. I can't wait for reasonably-priced 32gb microSD cards to arrive.

rudeguy
09-06-2010, 08:28 PM
My phone is an all-in-one device, so 16gb is a minimum necessity for me. I'd love to have more storage in order to keep more music and movies loaded on the phone for travelling and such. I can't wait for reasonably-priced 32gb microSD cards to arrive.

I'm starting to think that Cloud Streaming will be a reality before that happens....

jpeyton
09-06-2010, 08:36 PM
No Android phone has "just" 8GB, since they all have MicroSD slots. I have a pile of 16GB cards on my desk.

gorcorps
09-06-2010, 08:48 PM
It's plenty for apps and light video, but that's it. I'm struggling with 16gig because it's having to serve mp3 player duties as well.

mmntech
09-06-2010, 08:52 PM
I haven't found 8gb limiting for just music and a few apps. A lot of Android phones also have microSD slots to expand storage if you need more. Videos are what take up the biggest chunk of space.

yh125d
09-06-2010, 09:21 PM
16GB isn't quite enough for all my music, but I can make do with only ~14gb of my 18gb library so I have a bit left over for misc whatever. 32gb in a microSD though is way too expensive for my tastes. WTB like a 24gb card

pm
09-06-2010, 10:10 PM
8GB was too small for me - that fits my music and photos, but not the occassional movie that I wanted to load up. 16GB is just about the right size now, although what I think is "just right" is a moving target that steadily shifts upwards. My next phone will likely be a 32GB.

ChAoTiCpInOy
09-06-2010, 10:48 PM
If you only have 8GB you could make it work. But it's better to have some cushion. 16GB i think is the sweet spot.

oldsmoboat
09-06-2010, 11:47 PM
I haven't come close to the 8gb my phone has because I don't plan to use it as an MP3 player.

zerocool84
09-06-2010, 11:49 PM
I haven't come close to the 8gb my phone has because I don't plan to use it as an MP3 player.

No music at all? I have music and I will switch out movies every other week on my phone.

AznAnarchy99
09-06-2010, 11:52 PM
No music at all? I have music and I will switch out movies every other week on my phone.

I stream almost all of mine. I kinda like the randomness of streaming but ill keep some tracks that I like on the card.

boomhower
09-06-2010, 11:59 PM
Not for me and I am a very very light user. I have around four gigs of music so there's half. With the way I encode a one hour episode of TV goes around 500MB's. It fills up fast. A 16 card is in my future.

Anubis
09-07-2010, 07:55 AM

I find that I like the randomness of the streaming apps. Slacker has passed Pandora as my favorite but I have both installed on my phone. Of course I keep a few playlists with 50 or so songs on each for when I know what I want to listen to.

yes i use slacker and last, however having a massive music collection at your fingers is far greater then any streaming service

oldsmoboat
09-07-2010, 08:12 AM
I have an mp3 player that is tiny and serves me well.
I will also shoot myself if I ever try to watch a movie on the 4.3" screen.
But that's just me.

rudeguy
09-07-2010, 09:50 AM
I have an mp3 player that is tiny and serves me well.
But that's just me.

How much would I have to pay you to watch Super Troopers on it?

Pliablemoose
09-07-2010, 10:00 AM
But that's just me.

It's not that bad, actually... I imagine if you had a long commute on public transportation, airplane, ride in a car, you'd feel differently.

Raduque
09-07-2010, 10:00 AM
I have a vibrant also with an 8gb card installed.

I have 6.5gb free of the 16gb(13gb actual) available internal, and 5.6 of my 8gb(7.6gb actual). I moved like 3gb of stuff onto my internal storage, including my music, which is only about 2gb.

I don't like streaming crap 'cause i don't seem to get very good signal strength and the stream always cuts out and stops after a while. I don't keep movies or tv shows on the phone either, I watch and then delete them.

I WANT a bigger SD card, but I don't NEED one.

oldsmoboat
09-07-2010, 10:02 AM
How much would I have to pay you to watch Super Troopers on it?
Answer my GD PM.

AstroManLuca
09-07-2010, 10:03 AM
My phone only came with a 2 GB SD card. Haven't had any storage issues so far (well except for one time when I couldn't take pictures because another app had cached data out of control). I don't use my phone as a music player though.

oldsmoboat
09-07-2010, 10:07 AM
It's not that bad, actually... I imagine if you had a long commute on public transportation, airplane, ride in a car, you'd feel differently.
For airplanes, we have an audio splitter and we set the laptop up for movies.
For music, I prefer my mp3 player.
But the biggest reason I don't want to use the phone for music or movies, is battery life. That and I know how pissed I would get if I was watching a movie and lost part of the plot because I couldn't see something on the screen.
I am sure the phone is fine for others for music/movies.
<--- Reads this on his 50" monitor as he types...

EDIT
But that being said, as soon as 32GB class 6 cards come down in price, I'll get one for my phone.

rudeguy
09-07-2010, 10:29 AM
Answer my GD PM.

sorry...been ignoring them. I bought a game off some guy last week in fs/ft and he has sent me 3 messages telling me why he can't send it out.

Just send the thing out and pm me after!!!!!!!

Deeko
09-07-2010, 10:53 AM
Yes. My last two phones came with 16GB cards, and I swapped them out for the 8GB I've been using since my G1, mostly because I don't feel like swapping the content & its a class 6 card.

akugami
09-07-2010, 12:24 PM
8GB is probably the minimum you'd want for a smart phone depending on what type of apps you use. If your use is minimalistic and you use it as an addition to your home PC with a few apps that interface with your full fledged ones then it should be enough.

It's mostly games for now which take up 100+ MB's but I wouldn't be surprised if other apps come in such as with photo editing and movie editing where you're gonna want more space. Then we get into using it as a PMP (portable media player) which can really kill any space you have.

Unfortunately all fingers point to both AT&T and Verizon, the big two, killing the unlimited plans. AT&T has already done so and Verizon has been putting hints at this for a while now. Even if they re-introduce it later, it'll be with more expensive plans. So the streaming apps may not be ideal. So the future is fuzzy on streaming apps unfortunately.

*Edited for better coherency*

Brian Stirling
09-07-2010, 01:04 PM

I have zero intention of wasting bandwidth on streaming when I have over 16GB or music that I own. That said, the 8GB the Evo came with aint enough and 16GB is only a little better. If there were an option to get 64GB or even 128GB I'd jump on it but so far there are only a couple of slow and expensive 32GB uSD cards and I won't bite on those.

Now, find me a class 10 or better 32GB uSD card for less than $75 and I'll be there. I realize that class 10 may not be needed in the phone, but if you plug into your laptop to do a direct file(s) transfer class 2 speeds will be painful...

Brian

Oyeve
09-07-2010, 02:34 PM
16gb built-in on vibrant plus I added another 16gb card. And I am pretty much full. Lots of music and, uh, some video I made with my GF. :-)

rudeguy
09-07-2010, 02:42 PM
16gb built-in on vibrant plus I added another 16gb card. And I am pretty much full. Lots of music and, uh, some video I made with my GF. :-)

forum code says if you mention it, you post it

sswingle
09-07-2010, 03:00 PM
If you use it as just a phone, I think 8GB is enough. Otherwise 16GB is kind of a necessity.

Also remember that Apps cannot be installed on the external memory, it has to be internal. But I think Froyo fixes this issue.

Yes, not all apps support it yet, but you can move them to SD card with Froyo. Very useful feature.