PDA

View Full Version : where can I buy a slim jim. and how do I unlock my 93 prelude?

holden j caufield
07-11-2010, 11:48 PM
Any ideas guys?

jlee
07-11-2010, 11:54 PM
Does your police department do unlocks?

summit
07-12-2010, 12:03 AM
call AAA

EightySix Four
07-12-2010, 12:20 AM
This post just seems... wrong.

Hey guys, where do I buy a tool to steal cars, and how do I use it to get into one of the most stolen cars?

Next post:
My keys don't work any more, how do I hot wire the ignition?

alkalinetaupehat
07-12-2010, 12:20 AM
Modified wire closet hanger and a V-shaped wedge work wonders. Don't ask me how I know this. >.>

bruceb
07-12-2010, 07:13 AM
In a lot of states, purchasing or possessing locksmith tools without a license is illegal. This includes items like a slim jim or lock picks.

MotF Bane
07-12-2010, 07:18 AM
This post just seems... wrong.

Hey guys, where do I buy a tool to steal cars, and how do I use it to get into one of the most stolen cars?

Next post:
My keys don't work any more, how do I hot wire the ignition?

This.

SooperDave
07-12-2010, 07:38 AM
I've got two sets. One I got thru Napa and the other thru a local lock shop that does lockout services. If this doesn't help try calling a tow company. They won't sell you anything but they might tell you where they get theirs from.

AMCRambler
07-12-2010, 07:49 AM
Lets get out our "Jump to Conclusions" mat. Jump to "He's stealing a car!", lol.

Maybe he just locked his keys in the car and thought maybe I'll get a slim jim because it could happen again?

PottedMeat
07-12-2010, 08:02 AM
go look up the door schematic online? see if theres a place you can hook/push to get the thing unlocked?

i remember buying a 'door unlocker' at a dollar store a few years ago. it was just a long piece of stamped sheet metal with a notch at the end.

jaydee
07-12-2010, 08:13 AM
Anyone else just get a retro image of "Macho Man" Randy Savage in their head?

PottedMeat
07-12-2010, 08:23 AM
anyone else just get a retro image of "macho man" randy savage in their head?

oh yeah!

EightySix Four
07-12-2010, 08:38 AM
Lets get out our "Jump to Conclusions" mat. Jump to "He's stealing a car!", lol.

Maybe he just locked his keys in the car and thought maybe I'll get a slim jim because it could happen again?

I didn't say he was, I just said it seemed awkward since it is a commonly stolen and stripped vehicle.

kornphlake
07-12-2010, 10:53 AM
After locking the keys in my car I used a rock to roll down my window then unlocked the door from the inside. I would have called AAA but I was at a lake in the mountains and didn't have phone service, I talked to at least 20 people and none had a hanger or other tool, two coincidentally were locksmiths but neither had their tools with them. After replacing the window I rolled down with a rock I added a hidden trunk release so if the same problem occured again I could at least open the trunk, knock down the rear bench and unlock the doors. It's illegal to posses a slim jim in this state and I'd rather not take the chance.

Now that everybody knows they can break into my car without tools and without damaging the vehicle I should probably disclose that the ignition is worn and you can start it with anything that will fit in the keyhole, I started it with a pen knife a few days ago. Beware if you steal my car you'll be getting your money's worth.

DivideBYZero
07-12-2010, 12:29 PM
^LOL! Rolling down the window with a rock, classic!

boomhower
07-12-2010, 12:34 PM
In a lot of states, purchasing or possessing locksmith tools without a license is illegal. This includes items like a slim jim or lock picks.

Most places you have to be in possession of burglary tools while doing some criminal activity. Here(NC), they sell slimjim's in gas stations.

kami333
07-12-2010, 01:57 PM
You can get them on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000RGPRKK/...m&linkCode=as1 (http://detonator.dynamitedata.com/cgi-bin/redirect.pl?user=u00000687&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.amazon.com%2Fdp%2FB000RGPRKK% 2Fref%3Dnosim%2F%3Ftag%3Dfatwalletcom%26linkCode%3 Das1)

After replacing the window I rolled down with a rock I added a hidden trunk release so if the same problem occured again I could at least open the trunk, knock down the rear bench and unlock the doors.

Wouldn't it have been easier to get on of those magnetic hide-a-way key holders? Especially if the ignition is already broken.

I've used a tree branch to break into my car:) I have frameless windows so it's pretty easy to pry the glass back and use a 2foot stick to push the door unlock button.

l0cke
07-12-2010, 03:21 PM
Most places you have to be in possession of burglary tools while doing some criminal activity. Here(NC), they sell slimjim's in gas stations.

Yeah, I've seen slimjims for sale at dollar stores in malls before.

Zap
07-12-2010, 05:36 PM
Now that everybody knows they can break into my car without tools and without damaging the vehicle I should probably disclose that the ignition is worn and you can start it with anything that will fit in the keyhole, I started it with a pen knife a few days ago. Beware if you steal my car you'll be getting your money's worth.

LOL, my dad's old 1982 Ford Courier pickup was like that. IIRC it cost around $4500 new out-the-door and I noticed that after around 8 years of my dad slamming the keys in, the keys themselves were just worn blades and the keyholes were really loose. I once noticed my dad using the wrong key and it worked! After seeing that, I tried various things such as a slotted screwdriver, and pretty much anything that could physically make the ignition turn would work.

marvdmartian
07-12-2010, 07:29 PM
You could use this method (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QqFyiHopwQY)......but I wouldn't recommend it! :eek:

mizzou
07-12-2010, 08:15 PM
I usually will just smash the windshield to grab the keys

make sure you put on something to protect your eyes, I usually have a full facemask laying around form halloween that actually works pretty well, no need to buy expensive goggles.

also you will want to do it at night when nobody is around, it would be awful to get glass on someone..it could open you up for liability :p, and also because at night it's easier to see in the windows w/out glare

exdeath
07-12-2010, 08:42 PM
Since when is an arbitrary piece of #*(@#*$ metal illegal? Whatever.

What is "law" is sometimes not right and is immoral to obey or enforce. Just ask the blacks and jews about "law".

Of course one can't complain if that is a secondary offense tacked on to someone actually committing something more objectionable than possessing an arbitrary length piece of metal alone, you know, like using it in an ACTUAL BURGLARY?

100% of people on this forum are "guilty" of owning an object which could be classified as a "slim jim" by functional potential.

Greenman
07-12-2010, 08:43 PM
You can get them on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000RGPRKK/...m&linkCode=as1 (http://detonator.dynamitedata.com/cgi-bin/redirect.pl?user=u00000687&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.amazon.com%2Fdp%2FB000RGPRKK% 2Fref%3Dnosim%2F%3Ftag%3Dfatwalletcom%26linkCode%3 Das1)

Wouldn't it have been easier to get on of those magnetic hide-a-way key holders? Especially if the ignition is already broken.

I've used a tree branch to break into my car:) I have frameless windows so it's pretty easy to pry the glass back and use a 2foot stick to push the door unlock button.

Those holders are awesome. I stashed a spare key under my truck years ago, and some day, God willing, I'll find it again.

exdeath
07-12-2010, 08:43 PM
I usually will just smash the windshield to grab the keys

No you don't. Even if you manage to crack the glass without breaking yourself, good luck tearing through the lamination with your bare hands.

Maybe you meant one of the tempered side windows?

jlee
07-12-2010, 08:45 PM
No you don't. Even if you manage to crack the glass without breaking yourself, good luck tearing through the lamination with your bare hands.

Maybe you meant one of the tempered side windows?

Heh, yep those will shatter. Windshields, not so much...

Squisher
07-12-2010, 09:56 PM
A buddy I used to have worked in the glass plant at the Ford Rouge Plant. They had these little carbide balls with spikes on it. You'd be surprised at how little effort was necessary to break the side glass windows with these. You could almost toss them lightly underhand.

Zap
07-12-2010, 10:51 PM
Throwing rocks in glass houses?

EightySix Four
07-12-2010, 11:59 PM
A buddy I used to have worked in the glass plant at the Ford Rouge Plant. They had these little carbide balls with spikes on it. You'd be surprised at how little effort was necessary to break the side glass windows with these. You could almost toss them lightly underhand.

You should see how easy it is with the ceramic from a spark plug. Glass (contrary to popular belief) is really hard. Ceramic is harder though, and it very quickly shatters a window.

Mike Gayner
07-13-2010, 05:19 AM
Since when is an arbitrary piece of #*(@#*$ metal illegal? Whatever.

What is "law" is sometimes not right and is immoral to obey or enforce. Just ask the blacks and jews about "law".

I'm sorry, did you just compare a slimjim to the persecution of jews and blacks?

grrl
07-13-2010, 05:40 AM
I'm sorry, did you just compare a slimjim to the persecution of jews and blacks?

That's a variation on rule #4 - claim the other person is a Nazi / compare the other person to a Nazi - and is equally ineffective.

exdeath
07-14-2010, 09:12 PM

Yes, I did. If it doesn't register with you, I'm sorry for your loss.

Unjust laws are unjust, period. It makes no difference if it's persecuting a race or persecuting an individual for possession of an arbitrary piece of property or performing an arbitrary action that isn't harming another.

Stealing is fundamentally wrong and also illegal. Why does mere possession of a $5 piece of metal constitute a crime if it's not actually being used in the commission of a real theft? If they use it to break into *someone elses* car, that act is already illegal.

Banning the object is the same logic as bans on guns, knives, baseball bats, and ball point pens because of their "potential" uses in unscrupulous hands. Under that logic EVERY object on the planet has negative potential and should be illegal and no liberty is sacred. Guilty until proven innocent, as in arresting people for a DUI while they are sitting at a bar with their keys in their pocket, eg: pre-crime.

A coat hanger, as mentioned, a piece of string, a lot of things can be used as a "slimjim". I'll reiterate, everyone on this forum has some object that could be used for the purpose of a "slimjim" as defined by such a law banning them, and would be breaking that law and be criminals.

erikistired
07-14-2010, 09:16 PM
Yes, I did. If it doesn't register with you, I'm sorry for your loss.

Unjust laws are unjust, period. It makes no difference if it's persecuting a race or persecuting an individual for possession of an arbitrary piece of property.

wow. just...wow.