PDA

View Full Version : Sign of a bad strut (metal grinding while turning at low speeds)?

StageLeft
08-17-2008, 08:21 AM
04 Mazda MPV. At low speeds, ideally while turning in a parking garage or coming out of a restaurant parking or turning in a cul de sac, and only while taking a right, there is a metal on metal grinding sound. I never hear it at high speeds and it seems only while the weight transitions to the left. I cannot tell which wheel well the sound is coming from. If I try to wiggle the front-end of the car up and down and side to side I don't hear anything more strange from one side to the other and stiffness appears similar on both sides.

*UPDATE* 9/8

OK, I've still not fixed this. It appears more prevalent when warm. The grinding could possibly be a strut mount, now that I know they are basically rubbery things. It still only happens at very low speed when turning right, the more turn the better. It also happens in neutral, which may eliminate CV. Also I should note that I can pretty much replicate the sound sometimes with the car completely parked, wheels straight, rocking back and forth in the driver's seat. This is why I'm leaning toward a strut or strut mount. I think it reasonable to replace both on both sides, does that sound reasonable? I'll do it myself. If that doesn't correct it, bring it in, but I'm very hesitant to bring it in without trying this first and spending hundreds and hundreds of dollars. I've heard also it could be a ball joint, but could that make a sound with the car stopped? Also, is there anything else I need to replace besides the strut mount, such as a new spring seat or whatever...?.

*UPDATE* 9/10

I'm going to do the mounts, but I see that the mount including a new bearing and screws as a "kit" is available, or for quite a bit cheaper I can just get the bearing. Is there any need whatsoever to buy a full new mount, or is a new bearing sufficient?

Marlin1975
08-17-2008, 09:08 AM
Could be a brake caliper coming loose, bad wheel bearing, etc... hard to say until you lift it off the ground and/or remove the tires.

Bignate603
08-17-2008, 10:14 AM
Have somebody crank the wheel while you've got your head near the wheel well. It's hard to diagnose from inside the car.

Pliablemoose
08-17-2008, 10:58 AM
CV joint...

StageLeft
08-17-2008, 11:11 AM
I did just jack the car and run it in drive with wheel full over to either side and hear nothing strange at all. It does sound like metal grinding as if something on the wheel is turning against something else. I don't really see how it could be a strut, I suppose. I'll check on the brakes, it certainly could be that.

Bignate603
08-17-2008, 03:22 PM
Could be a strut mount. I had one go bad on my camry and it would make noise when turning. However I could feel it through the wheel when I turned it.

StageLeft
08-17-2008, 03:41 PM
Originally posted by: Bignate603
Could be a strut mount. I had one go bad on my camry and it would make noise when turning. However I could feel it through the wheel when I turned it.How'd you figure it was strut mount vs strut? I am going to duct tape my mp3 player in each wheel well to be sure and I will post the audio here but if I have to guess now I'm thinking strut. I realized when I stand out of the car quickly with no ambient noise around the sound appears to be there but very slight as the car pushes back up.

Bignate603
08-17-2008, 06:49 PM
I could sit there and watch the spring rotate and jerk as it kept on catching as it rotated. The spring spun with the steering knuckle (that metal piece that holds your wheel bearing and pivots as you steer) and it wasn't spinning smoothly. The mount has a bearing in it that fixed that. Now that side is good but I as soon as I fixed it I started noticing the other side doing it too. It wasn't as bad so I didn't notice it originally...

KnightBreed
08-17-2008, 11:23 PM
Originally posted by: Pliablemoose
CV joint...
A bad CV joint typically makes a clicking sound, not grinding.

BassBomb
08-18-2008, 12:00 AM
I had a large clicking noise in my I30 only when turning right

eventually on the highway something fell out of the wheel well and the sound was not as promenant

sold the car before we ever decided to figure it out (i think it was the ball joints)

Kadarin
08-18-2008, 04:29 AM
Originally posted by: Bignate603
Could be a strut mount. I had one go bad on my camry and it would make noise when turning. However I could feel it through the wheel when I turned it.

Same here on my M3. The dealer fixed it under warranty.

StageLeft
08-18-2008, 08:26 AM
Well this morning with the wheels straight in a parking lot while parking I found that at a few MPH as I go back and forward there is minor creaking, so I'm now 95% sure it's the strut!

1) Is it mandatory to replace both struts at the same time? They have 68k on them.

2) Also, is it incumbent to get an alignment done? I believe that depends on the vehicle (this one an 04 MPV as stated above).

3) Is this quite easy; I think that with a borrowed spring compressor and careful to make sure it's on the springs 100% (to avoid being killed), it's not a difficult job--it sounds easier than replacing a half-axle. One link online said to use the compressor but bring the entire assembly into a parts store. Not sure why; my intent is to compress the spring, take the strut off, put new one on, uncompress spring and Bob's your uncle.

Juddog
08-18-2008, 08:36 AM
I had the exact same symptoms as you did, it ended up being the right front wheel bearing. The way they showed me to test at the garage is when the car is up on the jack, you grab the wheel with both hands and see if there is any play. In my case the one wheel would wiggle slightly and the other wouldn't, then the mechanic showed me how the bearing itself looked, and that the sealing on it had somehow gotten messed up. I was getting a "groaning" type noise occasionally when I would hit a bump, and when I turned right typically.

Bignate603
08-18-2008, 08:57 AM
Replacing a strut is something that you can do yourself, however it may take a while. I will tell you that my mechanic had trouble getting the strut to go back on correctly, it was over an hour of trying to get it to go back in before it went back together.

You don't NEED to replace both struts but you probably should. You may get funny handling if one strut is softer than the other.

mooseracing
08-18-2008, 11:09 AM
Originally posted by: BassBomb
I had a large clicking noise in my I30 only when turning right

eventually on the highway something fell out of the wheel well and the sound was not as promenant

sold the car before we ever decided to figure it out (i think it was the ball joints)

:laugh:

If a ball joint fell out you would know.

HESDog
08-18-2008, 04:30 PM
Originally posted by: KnightBreed
CV joint...
A bad CV joint typically makes a clicking sound, not grinding.

My thoughts as well...

Regs
08-18-2008, 09:04 PM
My Mazda 6 made the same noise on occasions while turning on a extreme angle. All I know is that I had to have my brakes and rotors replaced after 20k miles. Could be something completely unrelated to the noises I (we) hear.

holden j caufield
08-18-2008, 11:47 PM
CV joint...

if it only happens when turning one direction. I'd say CV joint also

StageLeft
08-19-2008, 08:36 AM
After rocking the car severely (I hung to the roof and stood on the bottom of door frame) it's now squeeking even with the car off when I sit in the front seat quickly and quickly get out--even with car unmoving and completely turned off.

bmwme
08-19-2008, 09:46 AM
Yeah I dunno...unless it is really far gone a strut wouldn't make any noise like described. A strut is a glorfied shock, maybe the strut mount/bearing could fail and start groaning/creeking but likely only when turning. Like mentioned earlier a CV joint would click when turning and braking/accelerating.

My guess is wheel bearing for the original sound (grinding metal).

Now the squeaking...control arm or anti-sway bar bushing? Do you know if you have any greasable bushings/ball joints? Lots of new cars don't but worth checking into.

I find it hard to believe a metal on metal grinding sound and a squeaking sounds are related.

Regs
08-19-2008, 09:22 PM
Originally posted by: bmwme

Now the squeaking...control arm or anti-sway bar bushing? Do you know if you have any greasable bushings/ball joints? Lots of new cars don't but worth checking into.

I find it hard to believe a metal on metal grinding sound and a squeaking sounds are related.

Oh yeah, I also had to get my control arms replaced. But thats after smacking a curb really hard. Though I had to get them replaced again a year later because whoever put them in the first time did a crap job. Maybe they could cause the grinding noise.

Though the only reason why I took mine to the dealer was because my car was pulling right, and the rotors were shot. Took them damn near a week to get the work done after finding the problem and ordering the parts.

StageLeft
09-08-2008, 09:22 AM
*UPDATE* 9/8

OK, I've still not fixed this. It appears more prevalent when warm. The grinding could possibly be a strut mount, now that I know they are basically rubbery things. It still only happens at very low speed when turning right, the more turn the better. It also happens in neutral, which may eliminate CV. Also I should note that I can pretty much replicate the sound sometimes with the car completely parked, wheels straight, rocking back and forth in the driver's seat. This is why I'm leaning toward a strut or strut mount. I think it reasonable to replace both on both sides, does that sound reasonable? I'll do it myself. If that doesn't correct it, bring it in, but I'm very hesitant to bring it in without trying this first and spending hundreds and hundreds of dollars. I've heard also it could be a ball joint, but could that make a sound with the car stopped? Also, is there anything else I need to replace besides the strut mount, such as a new spring seat or whatever...?.

radioouman
09-08-2008, 10:09 AM
There is a possibility that what you are hearing is the spring moving in the spring seat. This happens on my wife's Saturn L100. I can make the noise occur when I get out of the car or even take some heavy luggage out of the trunk.

If you decide to have the struts replaced, they will use your old springs. Nothing wrong with that unless there is a lot of corrosion on them. Yes, absolutely have them change the strut mounts. They are just rubber bushings at the top of the strut. Also, if you have a strut bearing, have them replace that. (The bearing is the upper spring seat, if you car has one.)

StageLeft
09-10-2008, 06:44 PM
*UPDATE* 9/10

I'm going to do the mounts, but I see that the mount including a new bearing and screws as a "kit" is available, or for quite a bit cheaper I can just get the bearing. Is there any need whatsoever to buy a full new mount, or is a new bearing sufficient?

bruceb
09-10-2008, 06:58 PM
The reason is Labor .. you need to remove the Strut to change either the strut, the bearing or the mount. You will already have it all apart ... replace both pieces .. also check the condition of the Dust Boot and also the Bump Stop, a piece of rubber that is on the strut piston. It is there to stop the strut from compressing too far.

StageLeft
09-10-2008, 08:09 PM
Cool, will do :)