PDA

View Full Version : Browser Times Out When Attempting To Connect To Router

oldsmoboat
01-10-2010, 02:18 PM
Asus WL-520GU
I have internet and I can see the router in the Networking Control Panel and it is Enabled. But I can't connect to the router. I have it bookmarked and the bookmark (http://192.168.1.1/index.asp) had always worked in the past. Just entering 192.168.1.1 doesn't work either. The browser says "Waiting for".... and then after a bit says "Done" but the page is blank. No 404 or any other message.

I formatted my wife's laptop, which is on the network and when I tried to connect, I was asked for the Network Key when all that was required in the past was our Pass Phrase. This is when I tried to access the router.
edit: BIL is over and he connected to the network with the pass phrase. My wife's laptop wants a 40 or 104 bit ASCII or hexadecimal key.

I didn't want to reset the router before asking this question because I always pull my hair out when setting it up.
TIA

EDIT
Re-seting the router fixed the browser issue.
XP doesn't do WPA-Personal till SP2. Her laptop CD doesn't have any SPs on it. So I guess I'll have to disable my security to activate XP and get the service packs.

wiretap
01-10-2010, 04:34 PM
Just unplug it, wait 10 seconds or so, then plug it back in. Your settings are still maintained, but the router will be re-initialized. The router probably had some sort of internal error. I've had that happen before with various routers. Poor firmware coding by the developer.

VirtualLarry
01-10-2010, 05:00 PM
A friend had a Netgear FVS-318
http://www.netgear.com/Products/VPNandSSL/WiredVPNFirewallRouters/FVS318.aspx

And attempting to log in, using the default password, required about 10-12 tries. It kept spitting out parts of the page and then disconnecting. Muy defectivo.

As far as I know, that router was junked.

oldsmoboat
01-10-2010, 05:05 PM
I'll try resetting after the BIL gets off the connection.

He's over with his laptop. He connected to the network with the pass phrase. My wife's laptop wants a 40 or 104 bit ASCII or hexadecimal key.
Must be something on her laptop. I'll have to run the Network Set Up Wizard again.

Emulex
01-10-2010, 07:25 PM
this happens often on dd-wrt flashed routers that have run out of ram - rebooting usually fixes it.

oldsmoboat
01-11-2010, 10:35 AM
Re-seting the router cured the browser issue, thanks.

The laptop is still asking for an ASCII or hex number instead of the pass phrase. At least it's narrowed down to the laptop and my incompetence in setting up networks.

Emulex
01-11-2010, 06:36 PM
set the router the WPA-AES or WPA2-AES . using WEP is bad mojo my friend.

i've never seen a router ask for hexadecimal for WPA-AES or WPA2-AES security. that would be seriously painful

p.s. i'd think about using a 16 to 32 (or longer) passphrase. sucks for iphone users :) but keeps the neighbors out for sure

oldsmoboat
01-11-2010, 07:35 PM
set the router the WPA-AES or WPA2-AES . using WEP is bad mojo my friend.

i've never seen a router ask for hexadecimal for WPA-AES or WPA2-AES security. that would be seriously painful

p.s. i'd think about using a 16 to 32 (or longer) passphrase. sucks for iphone users :) but keeps the neighbors out for sure
It's set to wpa-personal.

EDIT

XP doesn't do WPA-Personal till SP2. Her laptop CD doesn't have an SP on it. So I guess I'll have to disable my security to activate XP and get the service packs.