PDA

View Full Version : New Subaru Interior Smell goes away?

fuzzybabybunny
12-24-2009, 03:00 PM
So my parents like the Subaru Forester but my mom hates the interior car smell. I think it's just new car smell, but my mom hates it, thinks she's breathing in chemicals, and won't buy the car because of it. This smell is *not* the smell coming from the engine. Comparatively, brand new Hondas have no offensive smells to her.

Will the Subaru smell go away, and how long?

PhoKingGuy
12-24-2009, 04:07 PM
New car smell? Like a year or so I guess, depending on how clean you are. My GTI still has new car smell in it and its a year and a half old.

Eli
12-24-2009, 05:36 PM
Tell her to sit in it for another 5 minutes and it will "go away".

:P

sandorski
12-24-2009, 05:39 PM
She is breathing "chemicals". That's what makes the smell. Every new car has it.

Eli
12-24-2009, 05:42 PM
She is breathing "chemicals". That's what makes the smell. Every new car has it.

It seems like there was legislation to lower VOC's in new cars by a certain percentage by a certain year, but I don't know the details. Maybe Subaru is lagging behind? Or she's just sensitive to a certain VOC that is found in that Subaru.

fuzzybabybunny
12-24-2009, 05:43 PM

Like I said in the OP, none of the Hondas have it.

sandorski
12-24-2009, 05:48 PM
It seems like there was legislation to lower VOC's in new cars by a certain percentage by a certain year, but I don't know the details. Maybe Subaru is lagging behind? Or she's just sensitive to a certain VOC that is found in that Subaru.

ahh ok, that might explain it then. I suppose Subaru may have just lost a Sale then.

mb
12-24-2009, 05:48 PM

Everyone that gets in my 2008 Accord still say it has the new car smell. I got it in Jan 08. I can't smell it though.

I read that leaving the windows down helps remove it, but I left mine open while in the garage and drive with them down most of the spring & summer, and apparently it's still there.

boardsportsrule
12-24-2009, 06:18 PM
get a fucking car freshener..dur. dont like the smell? cover it up with somthing else. not fucking rocket science.

fuzzybabybunny
12-24-2009, 06:45 PM
get a fucking car freshener..dur. dont like the smell? cover it up with somthing else. not fucking rocket science.

The solution to getting rid of the chemical smell is to add more chemicals. Not going to fly with the parents.

amdhunter
12-24-2009, 06:51 PM
New car smell? Like a year or so I guess, depending on how clean you are. My GTI still has new car smell in it and its a year and a half old.

loooooooooool, my GLi still has that new car smell after 2+ years. Everyone who sits in it says it smells brand new. It must be a VW thing.

PhoKingGuy
12-24-2009, 07:18 PM
loooooooooool, my GLi still has that new car smell after 2+ years. Everyone who sits in it says it smells brand new. It must be a VW thing.

My GF complained that the New Beetle (I can't believe I drove that thing for a day) service loaner I had really really strong new car smell. It had like 800 miles on it but didn't smell any different to me than mine when I first got it. I dunno.

I keep my car ridiculously clean though, no food, only water inside, vacuumed once a week, that could be it.

snarl
12-24-2009, 07:57 PM

A little blunt but good advise

I have a 2009 Subaru Forester, don't notice the new care smell anymore, been 6 months or so.

abaez
12-24-2009, 09:11 PM
My impreza just turned three and it still has the new car smell. Then again I never use it. (About 15k miles in 3 years.)

StageLeft
12-24-2009, 09:42 PM
Like I said in the other thread, your parents should be taking a bus and they rarely have that new vehicle smell.

amdhunter
12-24-2009, 09:53 PM
My impreza just turned three and it still has the new car smell. Then again I never use it. (About 15k miles in 3 years.)

<--- less than 8500 in 2. :)
It sucks to have no social life. I had an OK social life when I bought the damned car.

prism
12-25-2009, 03:21 AM
I just got a wicked deal on a 2004 G35 coupe with only 31k on it, still has that great classy leather smell, different than new car smell but I hope it never goes away :)

AdamK47
12-25-2009, 03:45 AM
The new car smell in the 07 C6 I have is still there.

cheesehead
12-25-2009, 02:30 PM
Wait until it warms up a bit, then leave it in a sunny area with the doors open.

(It helps if you have a place you can do this without it being stolen.)

fleabag
12-25-2009, 07:54 PM
I wouldn't be getting an SUV for an elderly couple as old people have issues with checking their blind spots and all. An SUV is going to have huge blind spots and they're not going to be able to see behind it nearly as easily as with a car. For what ever reason, old people don't like turning their heads around even though it's completely necessary.

Capt Caveman
12-25-2009, 08:15 PM
I wouldn't be getting an SUV for an elderly couple as old people have issues with checking their blind spots and all. An SUV is going to have huge blind spots and they're not going to be able to see behind it nearly as easily as with a car. For what ever reason, old people don't like turning their heads around even though it's completely necessary.

And a Subaru Forester will have very little to no blind spots. Stop regurgitating stuff you've read on the internet b/c it doesn't apply in all cases.

2009 Subaru Forester Road Test Review (http://www.edmunds.com/subaru/forester/2009/testdrivemanual.html)

The 2009 Subaru Forester 2.5XT Limited's abundant glass and high seating position yield excellent visibility in all directions.

fleabag
12-25-2009, 10:50 PM
And a Subaru Forester will have very little to no blind spots. Stop regurgitating stuff you've read on the internet b/c it doesn't apply in all cases.

2009 Subaru Forester Road Test Review (http://www.edmunds.com/subaru/forester/2009/testdrivemanual.html)
Excellent visibility....for an suv... I'm pretty sure a bicycle has better visibility than that Subaru forester and the Toyota FJ cruiser has better visibility than a Semi-truck.

It's all relative and my examples were extremes to illustrate the point that an SUV still has poor visibility compared to a car.

Capt Caveman
12-25-2009, 11:39 PM
Excellent visibility....for an suv... I'm pretty sure a bicycle has better visibility than that Subaru forester and the Toyota FJ cruiser has better visibility than a Semi-truck.

It's all relative and my examples were extremes to illustrate the point that an SUV still has poor visibility compared to a car.

Don't derail the thread any further. The reviewers comment says nothing about excellent visibility "for a SUV", if you actually read the review you'll find the reviewer discusses the Forester as a cross compact SUV and wagon. If you ever spent any time in a Forester, you would realize that it has large a rear and rear-side windshields providing excellent visibility.

edit - And you'll find every review blast the Toyota FJ cruiser for having horrid rear visibility and large blindspots.

Howard
12-26-2009, 02:24 AM
Any argument with him only serves to detract from a thread. Just ignore him.

fleabag
12-26-2009, 03:17 AM
Don't derail the thread any further. The reviewers comment says nothing about excellent visibility "for a SUV", if you actually read the review you'll find the reviewer discusses the Forester as a cross compact SUV and wagon. If you ever spent any time in a Forester, you would realize that it has large a rear and rear-side windshields providing excellent visibility.

edit - And you'll find every review blast the Toyota FJ cruiser for having horrid rear visibility and large blindspots.
What, you're saying they need to spell it out for you? That they have to say for an SUV after every statement they make? You remind me of some Highschool english teachers that would say you HAD to say "I think" when making a statement in your paper instead of just making the statement. They obviously felt positively towards the Forester which is why they didn't make such a statement. You're obviously completely unaware of the huge blide spots SUVs have no matter how large the windows are.

http://www.thezilly.com/images/blind_spot_chart.gif

Since these are elderly people, the idea of running someone over when they backup because they won't turn their head is a pretty real scenario.

http://www.edmunds.com/ownership/safety/articles/116746/article.html

http://a332.g.akamai.net/f/332/936/12h/www.edmunds.com/media/ownership/safety/preventing.backover.deaths/blind.spots.500.jpg

Capt Caveman
12-26-2009, 03:34 AM
My last post in this thread. Sorry FBB. Fleabag. I like how they use a Toyota Sequoia(a full size SUV) for their comparison. And since they don't consider the Forester a true SUV, what's your point again?

Have you ever sat or driven a Subaru Forester? I have since my cousin owns one. Obviously you haven't, since it's a lot closer to the Honda Accord than you think. A Toyota Sequoia is a friggin tank while I would call a Forester more like a station wagon with plenty of rear visibility with no real blind spot. So no, they won't back-up into anybody. Go away little boy and let adults talk.

And in regards to the smell, it will dissipate over time. If the car is garaged, have them leave the windows open. They could also get window visors which will allow them to leave the windows open a crack and not allow any rain/etc into the vehicle.

PhoKingGuy
12-26-2009, 03:38 AM
What, you're saying they need to spell it out for you? That they have to say for an SUV after every statement they make? You remind me of some Highschool english teachers that would say you HAD to say "I think" when making a statement in your paper instead of just making the statement. They obviously felt positively towards the Forester which is why they didn't make such a statement. You're obviously completely unaware of the huge blide spots SUVs have no matter how large the windows are.

http://www.thezilly.com/images/blind_spot_chart.gif

Since these are elderly people, the idea of running someone over when they backup because they won't turn their head is a pretty real scenario.

http://www.edmunds.com/ownership/safety/articles/116746/article.html

http://a332.g.akamai.net/f/332/936/12h/www.edmunds.com/media/ownership/safety/preventing.backover.deaths/blind.spots.500.jpg

A forester isnt a chevy avalanche, sorry.

All of your points can be rendered moot by a rear view backup system. Besides, you have no idea how old people drive. Maybe your parents suck at driving, but that doesn't mean FBBs do.

This thread has already been derailed enough.

You can make new car smell go away by just keeping the windows down as much as possible and venting them out. I asked an a friend who had severe allergies about what he did with his new car to get rid of the smell. He just said he left his windows down for a few hours a day and drove with the windows down all the time for a few months. He also lit a match a few times in the car to mask the smell over. It was gone in about 5 months supposedly. (2009 Focus)

fleabag
12-26-2009, 05:24 AM
Besides, you have no idea how old people drive.

I live in an area that is FILLED with these people. I'm quite aware of how old people drive. In fact, my mom's friend DIED because some old hack saw a shadow on the road, swerved, lost control, spun out his car and crashed into her on her bicycle waiting for the light to change. This guy screwed up so badly, he manage to spin out and KILL someone and seriously injure another when they weren't even on the same road but on a road that is completely perpendicular to the one he was driving on! No curve, nothing, completely straight! How can a 74 year old man be so fucking stupid unless he was completely unfit to drive! 74 years old isn't even that old! Anyway when I'm going to the grocery store, I'm constantly on the lookout for old people backing up without turning their heads...

http://www.dailycal.org/article/25343/student_dies_after_cycling_accident

Just found the guy's obituary:
http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/contracostatimes/obituary.aspx?page=lifestory&pid=124143359
Turns out he died earlier this year.

ayabe
12-26-2009, 08:41 AM
Hey *#$%bag, you've never once in your life sat in any Subaru, much less drive one. You are out of your element once again, just shut the fuck up.

StageLeft
12-26-2009, 09:13 AM
I just got a wicked deal on a 2004 G35 coupe with only 31k on it, still has that great classy leather smell, different than new car smell but I hope it never goes away :)How much?

fleabag
12-26-2009, 04:21 PM
Hey *#$%bag, you've never once in your life sat in any Subaru, much less drive one. You are out of your element once again, just shut the fuck up.
Actually, that's not true as my friend owns/drives a Subaru.. You people are funny. It's even funnier when you people make such statements like "yeah only subaru has TRUE AWD"... yeah it's definitely a TRUE AWD system alright, so legit that you can disable it with the removal of a fuse! :D

Viperoni
12-26-2009, 07:32 PM
Maybe buy a used subaru without the new subaru smell?

DivideBYZero
12-26-2009, 07:58 PM
Actually, that's not true as my friend owns/drives a Subaru.. You people are funny. It's even funnier when you people make such statements like "yeah only subaru has TRUE AWD"... yeah it's definitely a TRUE AWD system alright, so legit that you can disable it with the removal of a fuse! :D

Really? I'd love to see you do that to my WRX I used to have. You see, most people on have actually OWNED these cars, and if you DID have ownership experience you'd know it's only the Auto trans models with an electronic centre diff, which still doen't stop it being 'real awd'. But you don't, because you just spout shit as fact.

Go and play with the tires on your parents cars, little boy. Actually, don't, you'll kill them with your ignorance.

brblx
12-26-2009, 11:50 PM
Really? I'd love to see you do that to my WRX I used to have. You see, most people on have actually OWNED these cars, and if you DID have ownership experience you'd know it's only the Auto trans models with an electronic centre diff, which still doen't stop it being 'real awd'. But you don't, because you just spout shit as fact.

Go and play with the tires on your parents cars, little boy. Actually, don't, you'll kill them with your ignorance.

i know we were at odds in that console thread, but make more posts like this and i will love you long time. :awe:

EightySix Four
12-27-2009, 12:55 AM
Can we perma-ban fleabag from garage?

Link (http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=128161) to v-bulletin plugin for the mods.

1. Your friend /= you
2. I doubt it is a new Forester
3. Visibility out of the Forester we test drove was excellent
4. Electronic diffs are used pretty often in AWD vehicles, such as the GT-R, but you already know that just like you know more about fuel economy than those "stupid korean engineers."

Now seriously, shut the fuck up, it's getting a bit ridiculous. You just tried to justify your argument that someone not purchase a vehicle because they are older and therefore do not check their blindspots very well... and then back that up with your experiences of living an area with a lot of old people as well as your friends death, which was entirely unrelated to a blind spot problem.

fleabag
12-27-2009, 02:12 AM
Can we perma-ban fleabag from garage?

Link (http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=128161) to v-bulletin plugin for the mods.

1. Your friend /= you
4. Electronic diffs are used pretty often in AWD vehicles, such as the GT-R, but you already know that just like you know more about fuel economy than those "stupid korean engineers."

Now seriously, shut the fuck up, it's getting a bit ridiculous. You just tried to justify your argument that someone not purchase a vehicle because they are older and therefore do not check their blindspots very well... and then back that up with your experiences of living an area with a lot of old people as well as your friends death, which was entirely unrelated to a blind spot problem.
The point I was getting at was that old people driving cars=rolling death carriages. Old people (again a relative term but for this sake, above 70 years old) are worse drivers than young people.
http://www.smartmotorist.com/traffic-and-safety-guideline/older-drivers-elderly-driving-seniors-at-the-wheel.html

alfa147x
12-27-2009, 02:21 AM
Hahaha I love you fleabag... Happy Holidays

fleabag
12-27-2009, 03:49 AM
1. Your friend /= you
4. Electronic diffs are used pretty often in AWD vehicles, such as the GT-R, but you already know that just like you know more about fuel economy than those "stupid korean engineers.
It's funny that you say that because the old Forrester is much more like a car than the SUV the current generation resembles.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subaru_Forester
This is what my friend drives:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/b/bb/1998-2000_Subaru_Forester.jpg/800px-1998-2000_Subaru_Forester.jpg

This is what the OP wants his soon to be elderly parents to drive:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/9/9c/2010_Subaru_Forester_2.5X_Limited_1_--_10-02-2009.jpg/800px-2010_Subaru_Forester_2.5X_Limited_1_--_10-02-2009.jpg
"The Forester's wheelbase has increased 3.5 inches (89 mm), with overall increases of 3.0 inches (76 mm) in length, 1.8 inches (46 mm) in width and 4.3 inches (110 mm) in height.[/URL] Notably, the third generation Forester foregoes the frameless side windows used on Subarus since the early 1970s." -wikipedia
I can assure you that this vehicle has far worse visibility than any of its predecessors. Also I have to wonder, can you get this vehicle without tinted windows? Large vehicles have the disadvantage of not allowing you to see small objects, such as children and consequently, some people have had the misfortune of discovering this themselves.
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/chronicle/6246862.html (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subaru_Forester#cite_note-emund-0)

Well considering that we're talking about a Forrester which ONLY comes in automatic, your point is completely moot. [URL]http://wiki.answers.com/Q/All_wheel_drive_fuse_location_on_forester

DivideBYZero
12-27-2009, 04:04 AM
Well considering that we're talking about a Forrester which ONLY comes in automatic, your point is completely moot. http://wiki.answers.com/Q/All_wheel_drive_fuse_location_on_forester

Yeah? How did I get one as a loaner while my car was being serviced? Wikipedia the Forrester and take a look at the transmission options. *sigh*

No, better than that, go to Subaru.com and build out a fucking 2010 2.5X Forrester and check the trans it comes with as standard. For fucks sake...

Capt Caveman
12-27-2009, 11:10 AM
It's funny that you say that because the old Forrester is much more like a car than the SUV the current generation resembles.

Well considering that we're talking about a Forrester which ONLY comes in automatic, your point is completely moot. http://wiki.answers.com/Q/All_wheel_drive_fuse_location_on_forester

The Forester comes only in Automatic? Why can you order one with a manual transmission? And you do know also that the AWD systerm differs based on the transmission.

http://www.edmunds.com/subaru/forester/2010/index.html#search=open.eq..amp.p.eq.cvehicledata%2 3%23-1%23%23-1~~nf12||537562617275

You originally argued that the Forester was a SUV, now you say it resembles a car. Then why use your damn back-up comparison using a Toyota Sequoia? Unless, you're against Station Wagons which a Forester pretty much is, STFU.

Can someone ban this idiot?

BeauJangles
12-27-2009, 11:55 AM
Fleabag why the fuck do you feel the need to derail every thread with information that is completely incorrect and, more importantly, not relevant to the OP's question? This thread was about the smell in Suburu's, not about whether or not they're safe.

EightySix Four
12-27-2009, 02:03 PM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subaru_Forester
This is what my friend drives:
pic

This is what the OP wants his soon to be elderly parents to drive:
pic
"The Forester's wheelbase has increased 3.5 inches (89 mm), with overall increases of 3.0 inches (76 mm) in length, 1.8 inches (46 mm) in width and 4.3 inches (110 mm) in height.[/URL] Notably, the third generation Forester foregoes the frameless side windows used on Subarus since the early 1970s." -wikipedia
I can assure you that this vehicle has far worse visibility than any of its predecessors. Also I have to wonder, can you get this vehicle without tinted windows? Large vehicles have the disadvantage of not allowing you to see small objects, such as children and consequently, some people have had the misfortune of discovering this themselves.
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/chronicle/6246862.html (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subaru_Forester#cite_note-emund-0)

Well considering that we're talking about a Forrester which ONLY comes in automatic, your point is completely moot. [URL]http://wiki.answers.com/Q/All_wheel_drive_fuse_location_on_forester

Cars (http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/Car_runs_over_child_as_mom_walks_him_to_school.htm l) hit kids too.

Cars do not hit pedestrians, inattentive drivers do. By your argument, everyone needs to avoid hybrids too, since it has been shown they hit pedestrians more often (combination of inattentive driver and a lack of noise for the pedestrian to notice).

fleabag
12-27-2009, 05:34 PM
The Forester comes only in Automatic? Why can you order one with a manual transmission? And you do know also that the AWD systerm differs based on the transmission.

http://www.edmunds.com/subaru/forester/2010/index.html#search=open.eq..amp.p.eq.cvehicledata%2 3%23-1%23%23-1~~nf12||537562617275 (http://www.edmunds.com/subaru/forester/2010/index.html#search=open.eq..amp.p.eq.cvehicledata%2 3%23-1%23%23-1%7E%7Enf12%7C%7C537562617275)

You originally argued that the Forester was a SUV, now you say it resembles a car. Then why use your damn back-up comparison using a Toyota Sequoia? Unless, you're against Station Wagons which a Forester pretty much is, STFU.

The OLD forrester, not the new one. Sheesh. Anyways I was going to reply to DBZ and say "my mistake for fuck sake" about the transmission thing but then the Anandtech forums went under for maintenance.

alfa147x
12-27-2009, 05:44 PM

http://www.edmunds.com/subaru/forester/2010/index.html#search=open.eq..amp.p.eq.cvehicledata%2 3%23-1%23%23-1~~nf12||537562617275

A vote to keep Fleabag.

DivideBYZero
12-27-2009, 05:51 PM
The OLD forrester, not the new one. Sheesh. Anyways I was going to reply to DBZ and say "my mistake for fuck sake" about the transmission thing but then the Anandtech forums went under for maintenance.

You're WRONG.

http://www.edmunds.com/subaru/forester/2008/review.html

fleabag
12-27-2009, 07:17 PM
You're WRONG.

http://www.edmunds.com/subaru/forester/2008/review.html
Lulz... I said, the OLD one is NOT like an SUV while the NEW one is like an SUV. Does that clarify things enough for you?

Capt Caveman
12-27-2009, 07:42 PM
Lulz... I said, the OLD one is NOT like an SUV while the NEW one is like an SUV. Does that clarify things enough for you?

Sorry for derailing.

If you did a little research, the Forester was introduced in 1998 as a Manual only. Starting in 2002, an automatic transmission was added as an option.

http://www.edmunds.com/subaru/forester/1998/index.html

Can we ban him now?

tontod
12-27-2009, 07:46 PM
I couldnt resist staying out of this post as I have a 2002 Subaru Forester with a manual transmission. My boss has a newer Forester, I think 2007 or 2008. The ride height on that is lower than mine, his is automatic. I rode in his, and it definitely rides/feels more like a car than mine. Just because his is a bit longer than mine does not mean his is like an SUV and mine is not.

fleabag
12-27-2009, 08:13 PM
I couldnt resist staying out of this post as I have a 2002 Subaru Forester with a manual transmission. My boss has a newer Forester, I think 2007 or 2008. The ride height on that is lower than mine, his is automatic. I rode in his, and it definitely rides/feels more like a car than mine. Just because his is a bit longer than mine does not mean his is like an SUV and mine is not.
Lies...

""The Forester's wheelbase has increased 3.5 inches (89 mm), with overall increases of 3.0 inches (76 mm) in length, 1.8 inches (46 mm) in width and 4.3 inches (110 mm) in height."

EightySix Four
12-27-2009, 09:11 PM
Lies...

""The Forester's wheelbase has increased 3.5 inches (89 mm), with overall increases of 3.0 inches (76 mm) in length, 1.8 inches (46 mm) in width and 4.3 inches (110 mm) in height."

Size is not the only thing that influences the way a car drives. A larger vehicle is perfectly capable of feeling more car like with chassis and suspension improvements.

DivideBYZero
12-27-2009, 10:12 PM

They're both based upon the Impreza. Is that clear enough for you?

fleabag
12-28-2009, 04:31 AM
They're both based upon the Impreza. Is that clear enough for you?
And the CRV is based on the Civic... your point?

fleabag
12-28-2009, 04:32 AM
Size is not the only thing that influences the way a car drives. A larger vehicle is perfectly capable of feeling more car like with chassis and suspension improvements.
It's still a truck and still less safe and has less visibility than a car. The higher up the ride, the less visibility there is directly in front of the vehicle, PERIOD.

darkswordsman17
12-28-2009, 05:20 AM
It's still a truck and still less safe and has less visibility than a car. The higher up the ride, the less visibility there is directly in front of the vehicle, PERIOD.

o rly?

http://www.wired.com/images_blogs/photos/uncategorized/2007/07/23/truck.jpg
http://www.hoax-slayer.com/images/garbage-truck-home1.jpg
http://1st-in-hybrid.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/volvo-hybrid-truck.jpg
http://www.niot.net/niot_570/tir%20renault%20truck%20niot.net%201%20%288%29.jpg
http://thetransitcoalition.us/Pictures/Bus-new-number8002.jpg

fleabag
12-28-2009, 05:26 AM
o rly?

http://www.wired.com/images_blogs/photos/uncategorized/2007/07/23/truck.jpg
http://www.hoax-slayer.com/images/garbage-truck-home1.jpg
http://1st-in-hybrid.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/volvo-hybrid-truck.jpg
http://www.niot.net/niot_570/tir%20renault%20truck%20niot.net%201%20%288%29.jpg
http://thetransitcoalition.us/Pictures/Bus-new-number8002.jpg
:D
It's a "truck" by EPA/CAFE standards.

DivideBYZero
12-28-2009, 05:53 AM
And the CRV is based on the Civic... your point?
That neither is an SUV. Wow, this is like talking to a four year old...

fleabag
12-28-2009, 06:35 AM
That neither is an SUV. Wow, this is like talking to a four year old...
It's not an SUV huh? Well you see, the government begs to differ.. The CRV and Forester are BOTH SUVs. Funny, you don't know what an SUV is yet you have the nerve to call me out on my automotive advice when you don't even know the difference between a CAR and an SUV. Calling me a "4 year old" or an idiot doesn't strengthen your argument. You're WRONG, and I'm RIGHT. You have no business in the auto forum or any automotive forum because you know nothing except how to bandwagon. Maybe you know something about computers, MAYBE but I wouldn't know because in this time of my life, my primary focus is CARS and Home Remodeling and so I don't troll the computer forums too often.

EightySix Four
12-28-2009, 10:12 AM
It's not an SUV huh? Well you see, the government begs to differ.. The CRV and Forester are BOTH SUVs. Funny, you don't know what an SUV is yet you have the nerve to call me out on my automotive advice when you don't even know the difference between a CAR and an SUV. Calling me a "4 year old" or an idiot doesn't strengthen your argument. You're WRONG, and I'm RIGHT. You have no business in the auto forum or any automotive forum because you know nothing except how to bandwagon. Maybe you know something about computers, MAYBE but I wouldn't know because in this time of my life, my primary focus is CARS and Home Remodeling and so I don't troll the computer forums too often.

I feel terribly sorry for you if true because you are failing miserably. Let me give you some advice which took me way to long to learn as well, stop arguing your ass off with people who have been doing something far longer than you. At this point in time you don't even own your own car and are truly unqualified to make many of the arguments you try to make. For example, in FBB's thread on his spinning prism, you are right that making adjustments to his tire pressure could (depending on the real problem) help the symptoms but you fail to realize that it doesn't fix the actual problem which is far more important. At this point we have no idea what is causing the behavior and driving around with a terribly misaligned suspension and improperly inflated tires (to hide the suspension issue) could get the guy killed. Yes, race cars adjust tire pressure to change driving dynamics of a vehicle BUT THEY KNOW THE REST OF THEIR SHIT WORKS RIGHT.

Ad far as this topic goes, the CRV and Forester are both SUVs built on CAR platforms. This makes them crossovers in my book. They are nothing more than lightly lifted station wagons because people in the united states have problems with wagons. You are missing an important variable though, while they are a bit taller, they have higher seating positions as well which affords them greater visibility out of the vehicle.

DivideBYZero
12-28-2009, 01:52 PM
I've owned and driven more cars than you've had hot dinners. They are crossovers, not SUV's, big difference. You're wrong.

fleabag
12-28-2009, 05:29 PM
I've owned and driven more cars than you've had hot dinners. They are crossovers, not SUV's, big difference. You're wrong.
WAH WAH, ITS AN SUV. STFU IDIOT. There is no EPA category for "CROSSOVERS". It's clearly not a "big difference" to the EPA nor to their mileage. (They still stuck) An SUV with a Unibody is still a freaking SUV!

Ad far as this topic goes, the CRV and Forester are both SUVs built on CAR platforms. This makes them crossovers in my book. They are nothing more than lightly lifted station wagons because people in the united states have problems with wagons. You are missing an important variable though, while they are a bit taller, they have higher seating positions as well which affords them greater visibility out of the vehicle.
Yeah, that coupled with poorer visibility (especially when backing up), higher center of gravity, more weight and of course the obligatory false sense of safety that goes along with these SUVs.

DivideBYZero
12-28-2009, 06:09 PM
WAH WAH, ITS AN SUV. STFU IDIOT. There is no EPA category for "CROSSOVERS". It's clearly not a "big difference" to the EPA nor to their mileage. (They still stuck) An SUV with a Unibody is still a freaking SUV!

They are car bodies with raised suspension, not 'SUV's' unibody or otherwise.

Forester = Jacked Impreza
CRV = Jacked Civic

beat mania
12-28-2009, 06:15 PM
Everyone that gets in my 2008 Accord still say it has the new car smell. I got it in Jan 08. I can't smell it though.

My 05 Subaru Legacy that I bought in 04 still has the new car smell according to some passengers.

That's what you get when the whole interior is made out of plastic and glue.

fleabag
12-28-2009, 06:19 PM
They are car bodies with raised suspension, not 'SUV's' unibody or otherwise.

Forester = Jacked Impreza
CRV = Jacked Civic
You can try justifying it all you want, but they're SUVs. Until our government sees the need to classify these vehicles in any other way, they shall remain as SUVs. Also if they're not SUVs, why would the manufacturers work so hard to call them that? The reason for crossovers is to convince the public they can get large wagons that aren't really wagons but "SUVs" (are actually wagons), that they can get car comfort but have all the spaciousness they desire.. Crossovers suffer most of the same problems that SUVs have and along with them goes safety. You can't expect to have all of the crap that these crossovers have and not expect to have any shortcomings...

Crossovers are indeed SUVs with unibody construction, PERIOD!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crossover_%28automobile%29 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crossover_%28automobile%29)

"A crossover is a vehicle built on a car platform (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automobile_platform) but borrowing features from a traditional Sport Utility Vehicle (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sport_Utility_Vehicle) (SUV).
While body on frame (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Body_on_frame) construction and light truck platforms are used to build traditional SUVs, crossovers use a car's monocoque (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monocoque)/unibody (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unibody) platform construction. The crossover combines, in highly variable degrees, the design features such as tall interior packaging, high H-point (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H-point) seating, high ground-clearance, or all-wheel-drive capability of the SUV—with design features from an automobile such as independent rear suspension (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Independent_rear_suspension), car-like handling, interior roominess and fuel economy. Crossovers are typically designed for only light off-road capability, if any at all.[1] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crossover_%28automobile%29#cite_note-cnn1-0)"

Is that enough for you?

DivideBYZero
12-28-2009, 06:30 PM
"A crossover is a vehicle built on a car platform (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automobile_platform) "

Is that enough for you?

Yep, proves my point perfectly. You lose!

fleabag
12-28-2009, 06:33 PM
Yep, proves my point perfectly. You lose!
This is stupid.

Capt Caveman
12-28-2009, 06:44 PM
I am stupid.

Fixed. Fleabag has derailed this thread enough, can he please be banned from the garage?

CrackRabbit
12-28-2009, 07:52 PM
Fixed. Fleabag has derailed this thread enough, can he please be banned from the garage?

Seriously. Being wrong and then arguing about it is one thing, but derailing EVERY SINGLE thread he posts in is worthy of at least a short vacation and a stern warning.

As to FBB (if you are even still following this) as others have suggested letting the car air out as much as possible is about the only way to make the smell go away.

tontod
12-28-2009, 11:31 PM
Did Fleabag ever admit that the older Foresters had manual transmissions and were NOT automatic only?

fleabag
12-29-2009, 03:18 AM
Did Fleabag ever admit that the older Foresters had manual transmissions and were NOT automatic only?
Sure....

right......HERE:

alfa147x
12-29-2009, 04:26 AM
Honestly, I think all of you should be band except for me of course.
I really don't see what Fleabag has done that is ban worthy, you all are just too stubborn to STFU and calm the fuck down

Capt Caveman
12-29-2009, 10:18 AM
Sure....

right......HERE:

The old was never Automatic only, dumbass. You can never admit you're wrong, can you?

ayabe
12-29-2009, 10:56 AM

My coworker drives one, they DO exist.

boardsportsrule
12-29-2009, 01:22 PM
I really don't see what Fleabag has done that is ban worthy, you all are just too stubborn to STFU and calm the fuck down

truth.

CrackRabbit
12-29-2009, 01:36 PM

Do a quick search of Fleabag's name in the Garage forum. You will change your mind quickly enough, all he does is incorrectly argue obtuse points and derail threads.

mb
12-29-2009, 02:03 PM
Did the interior smell ever go away? :D

tontod
12-29-2009, 02:08 PM

I drive one too.

fleabag
12-29-2009, 03:27 PM
The old was never Automatic only, dumbass. You can never admit you're wrong, can you?
That was a two part answer retard..

alfa147x
12-29-2009, 04:19 PM
Do a quick search of Fleabag's name in the Garage forum. You will change your mind quickly enough, all he does is incorrectly argue obtuse points and derail threads.

Then shut the fuck up.

DivideBYZero
12-30-2009, 03:59 AM
Then shut the fuck up.
You're no better than he is with this attitude. Time to take your own sage advice?

alfa147x
12-30-2009, 01:11 PM
You're no better than he is with this attitude. Time to take your own sage advice?

Ignore the people you don't like and they have nothing to respond to...

DivideBYZero
12-30-2009, 03:03 PM
Ignore the people you don't like and they have nothing to respond to...
It's beyond not liking someone. He posts bad advice that at times is not only incorrect, but also dangerous should anyone follow it. To leave this unchecked would be reckless.

See sig.