PDA

View Full Version : oh man my sinus's hurt. feel like my face is going to explode. i think its the flu..

waggy
12-21-2006, 01:45 PM
so any good home remedies?

feel like my face is going to explode. not a pleasant feeling.

Amused
12-21-2006, 01:46 PM
What makes you think it's the flu rather than a cold or sinus infection (or both)?

michaels
12-21-2006, 01:46 PM
A cappachino always makes me feel better when I am all stuffed up

waggy
12-21-2006, 01:48 PM
Originally posted by: Amused
What makes you think it's the flu rather than a cold or sinus infection (or both)?

because flu arguments are fun.

most likely a sinus infection. i used to get them all the time (so bad i had surgery to fix damage).

hmm a cappichino eh? not to big on such stuff. last one i got i got way to wired hehe

Amused
12-21-2006, 01:50 PM
Originally posted by: waggy

most likely a sinus infection. i used to get them all the time (so bad i had surgery to fix damage).

LOL! I wasn't gonna argue with you. :P

I was just trying to help... 'cause your symptoms sounded a lot like a sinus infection with a cold.

Whoozyerdaddy
12-21-2006, 01:50 PM
I get them all the time.

My solution: Take a hot shower. After about 15 minutes things should get loosened up enough to blow. It's gross but it works. After a few days I'm usually fine.

Amused
12-21-2006, 01:53 PM
Originally posted by: Whoozyerdaddy
I get them all the time.

My solution: Take a hot shower. After about 15 minutes things should get loosened up enough to blow. It's gross but it works. After a few days I'm usually fine.

Yep. Also, you want to maintain a course of anti-inflammatory meds. Say three Advil every 4 hours for a few days. The will help with the pressure in your head.

The trick is to take it regularly. That's what will bring the swelling down.

And if it is a sinus infection, I'm sure you know that antibiotics may be called for. Go see your doctor.

dainthomas
12-21-2006, 01:53 PM

About as fun as beating your head against a sidewalk. And just as enlightening.

I vote sinus infection. Ask your SO if your breath smells like dookie. This will confirm it.

tweakmm
12-21-2006, 01:57 PM
Most expensive way:
Step 1) Go to drug store
Step 2) Buy Netipot
Step 3) Use Netipot

2nd most expensive way:
Step 1) Go to drug store
Step 2) Buy "Simply Saline Nasal Mist"
Step 3) Use "Simply Saline Nasal Mist"

Homemade cheap ghetto way:
Step 1) Get sports waterbottle
Step 2) Fill bottle with water
Step 3) Put a few tablespoons of salt in bottle
Step 4) Shake until salt is disolved
Step 5) Put cap in nose
Step 6) Tilt head to the side over sink
Step 7) Blast that mother away
Step 8) ...
Step 9) Profit

And yeah, you have a sinus infection, although you could also have the flu too.

tweakmm
12-21-2006, 01:58 PM
Originally posted by: Whoozyerdaddy
I get them all the time.

You should invest in a Netipot. Frequent sinus infections are not good.

43st
12-21-2006, 01:58 PM
Sinus Buster (http://www.sinusbuster.com/) It's a bit expensive and burns like hell but it clears you right out. I'm currently using it on a minor nasal polyp and it's working wonders.

Amused
12-21-2006, 02:01 PM
You don't want to do a whole lot of hard nose blowing when you have a sinus infection. That just pushes the infection into your ears.

Go to the doctor and get the infection confirmed. If it is an infection, get on some antibiotics and start a course of anti-inflammatories.

tweakmm
12-21-2006, 02:01 PM
Originally posted by: 43st
Sinus Buster (http://www.sinusbuster.com/) It's a bit expensive and burns like hell but it clears you right out. I'm currently using it on a minor nasal polyp and it's working wonders.
You are a crazy man dude, I'd much rather use sodium to clear my sinuses out than capsaicin. :Q

waggy
12-21-2006, 02:09 PM
Originally posted by: dainthomas

I vote sinus infection. Ask your SO if your breath smells like dookie. This will confirm it.

er what? dookie eh?

tweakem what is a netipot? never heard of that.

i dont t hink i want to snort capsisum. soppose i should make a apointment for the morning sigh

43st
12-21-2006, 02:09 PM
Originally posted by: tweakmm

You are a crazy man dude, I'd much rather use sodium to clear my sinuses out than capsaicin. :Q

My mother's side of the family has sinus issues. They all use the Netipot and saline on a pretty regular basis. I have a less severe case but it's still an issue, not to mention the polyp I was recently diagnosed with.

The capsaicin works very well, you just need to make it through the first 10-20 seconds. If you have chronic sinus issues you should give it a try, even just once, it's an amazing difference. You'll feel air in parts of your nose you never knew existed.

EDIT: It can be purchased on Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/Sinus-Buster-Classic-Headache-Formula/dp/B000HEECYY/sr=8-1/qid=1166731960/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/102-9471388-5329750?ie=UTF8&s=hpc). (see comments also)

tweakmm
12-21-2006, 02:10 PM
tweakem what is a netipot? never heard of that.

http://www.netipot.org/

Rock Hydra
12-21-2006, 02:13 PM
So, would you still have sex with your wife in that condition? :P

waggy
12-21-2006, 02:17 PM
ok thats kinda disgusting heh

tweakmm
12-21-2006, 02:18 PM
The capsaicin works very well
Really?:laugh:

TheAdvocate
12-21-2006, 02:25 PM
You don't want to do a whole lot of hard nose blowing when you have a sinus infection. That just pushes the infection into your ears.

Go to the doctor and get the infection confirmed. If it is an infection, get on some antibiotics and start a course of anti-inflammatories.

For once, listen to what Amused is saying.

Daggone blind squirrels...

FoBoT
12-21-2006, 02:29 PM
you are sick

waggy
12-21-2006, 02:30 PM
Originally posted by: TheAdvocate

For once, listen to what Amused is saying.

Daggone blind squirrels...

i don't wanna listen to Amused! NO NO no no no (childish rant oveR)

actually i didn't know that. but guess it makes sense

waggy
12-21-2006, 02:31 PM
Originally posted by: FoBoT
you are sick

thats what my wife said when i said i wanted 2 girls in bed...:frown:

xtknight
12-21-2006, 02:32 PM
I can't believe no one has mentioned hot salsa.

waggy
12-21-2006, 02:34 PM
Originally posted by: xtknight
I can't believe no one has mentioned hot salsa.

hto slasa wont work. i had some chips and dip last night. granted store baught "hot" is not very hot.

tweakmm
12-21-2006, 02:48 PM
ok thats kinda disgusting heh
Haha, true, but however it's delivered, a good salt water flush of the sinuses is the way go.

I've only had one sinus infection, but for two days there would be large periods of time where it felt like my head was going to burst open through my cheeks and temples. I recognized the feeling because occasionally when flying I would the get the same horrible sensation as the plane would decend due to pressure differences.

It hit me over a weekend, so on Monday I went to see a doctor who confirmed an infection, prescribed an anti-biotic and gave me some steriod spray with the accompanying prescription for when the sample ran out.
I tried the spray immediately and it didn't do jack, and was told I would need several more sprays over the next day so relief would take a little while plus I needed the anti-biotic course.

I was still in pain walking out of the doctors office and went to the drug store, I dropped off my prescription and went to the nasal spray isle; it's very important to get something that's a pure saline solution, most of the stuff contains other chemicals that with consistant use the sinuses become dependent on them and stop functioning normally without them. Knowing this I found it a bit of a chore to find a pure saline solution but finally found the nasal mist I mentioned earlier.

I went back home immediated and blasted the hell out of my sinuses, with the relief comming a minute after I started.

Yeah, the regardless of the delivery method, a good flush is a bit messy, but it is definitely worth it.

tweakmm
12-21-2006, 02:55 PM
This actually reminds me that my mist is about done(I've been doing a flush every so often because I have sinus problems and it really helps) and I've been meaning to buy a Neti Pot.
I'm gonna go to the drug store now and get one. :thumbsup:

This whole incedent actually happened a few months ago and I haven't flown since, but next flight I go on I'm definetly going to do a good flush beforehand and bring some of that mist with me(a Neti Pot is not very travel friendly;))
The pain from that kind of sinus problem is probably the second worst pain I've ever felt.

Funny thing someone mentioned capsaicin spray because the most pain I've ever been in was when I got shot in the face with pepper spray. On a bet I let my friend get a real good shot at my face(yes, alcohol was involved). So trust me, I am well well well aware of the effects of capsaicin on the sinuses.
That was a good 20 minutes of true hell and then a good 40 or so minutes of hell, but afterwards my sinues were the most clear they've ever been. :laugh:
Apprently the chemical stuff that the police use is a lot worse which just boggles my mind, for 20 minutes I was in a state that words can't describe and then for 40 minutes afterwards I was in a lot of pain.

Lola
12-21-2006, 02:58 PM
so any good home remedies?

feel like my face is going to explode. not a pleasant feeling.

I know how you feel.
If you can, go out and buy these: shower soothers (http://www.drugstore.com/products/prod.asp?pid=149067&catid=382&trx=ERROR_REPL&trxp1=149066&trxp2=149067&404=true&dpid=149066)

or, get some peppermint oil and put it in a steaming bowl of water and put your face over the bowl and cover your head with a towel. Inhale the steam for a few minutes.

Hope you feel better soon