PDA

View Full Version : Is it possible to move a washer and dryer with just a minivan?

mrchan
07-28-2006, 11:19 AM
Assuming they will even fit in the van, how easy would it be to setup a ramp and use a dolly? I think the washer weighs approximately 150lbs, and the dryer approximately 125 lbs....

Ika
07-28-2006, 11:20 AM
As I recall, I don't think there's enough vertical space in a minivan, but who knows. If you can fold down all the seats, it shouldn't be hard. If you can't, you probably won't be able to do it.

J0hnny
07-28-2006, 11:21 AM
not enough vertical space in a minivan to do it.

It's easy enough to do it with a dolly and ramp with 1 guy. Although, getting it into the dolly could be tough when it's in the house.

dullard
07-28-2006, 11:22 AM
I would think you could, but you'd have to lay it down. And you'll only fit one at a time.

Measure it before trying.

Lazy8s
07-28-2006, 11:24 AM
It's possible. I am still on pain killers from the damage I did to my wrist doing it, woohoo!! You'll have to make 2 trips probably to get both to fit and make DAMN CERTAIN you tell your g/f what the EXACT PLAN is for getting them inside before you wind up catching a washer by yourself with one hand before it falls...

Alienwho
07-28-2006, 11:29 AM
Your girl better be strong to lift that washer. Those are heavy.

nakedfrog
07-28-2006, 11:33 AM
I loaded a washer and dryer into the back of a pickup truck all by my lonesome, then unloaded and put them in the basement. I also fit a washer and dryer in the back of my station wagon, laying on their sides (had the back seats folded down). Be careful with the washer, as apparently they don't always evacuate all of the water.

mrchan
07-28-2006, 11:43 AM
She's pretty small, so she would be more or less useless.

The minivan will be a rented chevy uplander, hopefully i can remove all the seats.

Looked into renting a uhaul with a ramp, but that would add almost $100 to the cost of the W+D $30 for the truck + .59 cents per mile (70 miles) + gas at 12 mpg.

mrchan
07-28-2006, 11:46 AM
Originally posted by: nakedfrog
I loaded a washer and dryer into the back of a pickup truck all by my lonesome, then unloaded and put them in the basement. I also fit a washer and dryer in the back of my station wagon, laying on their sides (had the back seats folded down). Be careful with the washer, as apparently they don't always evacuate all of the water.

Did you use a dolly and setup some boards as a ramp?

BigJ
07-28-2006, 11:48 AM
Do you have a Home Depot around you?

Rent one of their trucks.

SVT Cobra
07-28-2006, 11:50 AM
I rented a pickup truck for taking home my washer and dryer. It wasn't hard at all lifting them, just getting a grip and then getting it through the house. I suggest at least two people, but I didn't have that luxery.

I don't think both would fit in a minivan, probably just one on its side.

lokiju
07-28-2006, 11:57 AM
They're actually lighter than you might think.

mitaiwan82
07-28-2006, 12:00 PM
Originally posted by: mrchan
Assuming they will even fit in the van, how easy would it be to setup a ramp and use a dolly? I think the washer weighs approximately 150lbs, and the dryer approximately 125 lbs....

I don't think those numbers are even close to right, but regardless - In my experience, dryers are really easy to carry with 2 guys (even going up 3 flights of stairs)....the washer is definitely a lot heavier, so I think you might need to find a guy to help you.

BigJ
07-28-2006, 12:04 PM
Originally posted by: mitaiwan82

I don't think those numbers are even close to right, but regardless - In my experience, dryers are really easy to carry with 2 guys (even going up 3 flights of stairs)....the washer is definitely a lot heavier, so I think you might need to find a guy to help you.

Well what you think is very wrong.

Most dryers will be in the 100-125lb range, and most washers will be in the 130-160lb range.

Easy way to confirm this?

Go to Sears.com. Go to their Appliance Section > Washers and Dryers > Then go to product specs.

mrchan
07-28-2006, 12:06 PM
Originally posted by: BigJ

I called them, you have to buy something to rent one of their trucks, probably have to be something big too. =/

BigJ
07-28-2006, 12:08 PM

I called them, you have to buy something to rent one of their trucks, probably have to be something big too. =/

Ouch.

Well I guess you could always do a Buy & Return to get to be able to use the truck.

iamwiz82
07-28-2006, 12:08 PM
We fit a washer in the back of a Magnum without unboxing it. Can you make two trips?

nakedfrog
07-28-2006, 12:13 PM

Did you use a dolly and setup some boards as a ramp?

No... but I was kinda sore the next day :P

Linflas
07-28-2006, 12:13 PM
Originally posted by: iamwiz82
We fit a washer in the back of a Magnum without unboxing it. Can you make two trips?

We carried our first washing machine home in the back of a Dodge Shadow in the box. A minivan should be no problem.

cKGunslinger
07-28-2006, 12:14 PM
My wife and I moved out washer and dryer with no problem. I think you'd have more trouble trying to use a dolly and ramp, rather than just picking it up and setting it in.

DaWhim
07-28-2006, 12:17 PM
reomve the seats in the back

Linflas
07-28-2006, 12:17 PM
Originally posted by: cKGunslinger
My wife and I moved out washer and dryer with no problem. I think you'd have more trouble trying to use a dolly and ramp, rather than just picking it up and setting it in.

Yep have your wife pickup the top end while you handle the bottom where all the heavy stuff is located.

JeffreyLebowski
07-28-2006, 12:18 PM
You can do it with a dodge mini van. I moved everyhting with our minivan. I moved the washer and dryer( it was a tight fight vertically, but it cleared) in it, I can also get refridgerators in it on their back, just have to leave the hatch open.

EngenZerO
07-28-2006, 12:32 PM
uhm... delivery?

why did you not opt for that!!!

Rumpltzer
07-28-2006, 12:50 PM
If you're going to rent a minivan, you might as well rent something from Budget or get the Home Depot truck. You'll also want that dolly if you're doing it yourself.

The deal with the minivan is probably the clearance but also that you can't walk into it with the dolly like you can with the open-bed truck or a large space that you'd get in the Budget truck. However, if you're buying a new washer and dryer and they're still in the box, it'll be easy to lay them down and slide them into a minivan. If you're willing to take two trips, I don't think it'll be so bad.

I moved a used washer and dryer using a dolly and the smallest truck that Budget Truck Rental has. The truck doesn't have a ramp, so the guy I bought it from helped push them into the box. He asked how I'd get them out when I got home, and I suggested that gravity would be my ally. He laughed, but it worked out fine with the sliders on the back of the dolly.

If you're interested in the Budget Truck rental (much better than UHaul), Google the words "budget truck" and click on that 15% off link right there at the top of the page.

Zach
07-28-2006, 12:53 PM

Ouch.

Well I guess you could always do a Buy & Return to get to be able to use the truck.

Around here UHaul is cheaper than either renting the truck or a delivery.

lokiju is right about the weight too, they are lighter than they look. When we got a washing machine I had Lowes load it up, then got help from my wife to get it out because my back was sore. We just slid it down onto a handtruck and hauled it into the mud room.

Which is another good point. Buy a handtruck. $20 sometimes.

michaels
07-28-2006, 01:01 PM
I moved my washer and dryer by myself.

mrchan
07-28-2006, 01:06 PM
Originally posted by: EngenZerO
uhm... delivery?

why did you not opt for that!!!

Buying it used.

I think I found a guy with a cargo van to help me move it for $40 though.

Think it's worth it to save the aggravation of trying to move it alone.

I don't understand how some of you guys can lift it up into a van/truck/station wagon with just you and your wife/gf... 150lbs is a lot of weight, especially with the awkward size of a washer and dryer.... I don't think I'm weak either, i can bench 225 pretty easily.

mrchan
07-28-2006, 01:07 PM
Originally posted by: Rumpltzer
If you're going to rent a minivan, you might as well rent something from Budget or get the Home Depot truck. You'll also want that dolly if you're doing it yourself.

The deal with the minivan is probably the clearance but also that you can't walk into it with the dolly like you can with the open-bed truck or a large space that you'd get in the Budget truck. However, if you're buying a new washer and dryer and they're still in the box, it'll be easy to lay them down and slide them into a minivan. If you're willing to take two trips, I don't think it'll be so bad.

I moved a used washer and dryer using a dolly and the smallest truck that Budget Truck Rental has. The truck doesn't have a ramp, so the guy I bought it from helped push them into the box. He asked how I'd get them out when I got home, and I suggested that gravity would be my ally. He laughed, but it worked out fine with the sliders on the back of the dolly.

If you're interested in the Budget Truck rental (much better than UHaul), Google the words "budget truck" and click on that 15% off link right there at the top of the page.

I called them but the cheapest truck they had with a ramp was $30 + 59 cents per mile (approximately 70 miles round trip).

nakedfrog
07-28-2006, 01:16 PM
I don't understand how some of you guys can lift it up into a van/truck/station wagon with just you and your wife/gf... 150lbs is a lot of weight, especially with the awkward size of a washer and dryer.... I don't think I'm weak either, i can bench 225 pretty easily.

Dunno, I can't bench 225, but then again, I didn't have to lift the washer over my head, either.

fbrdphreak
07-28-2006, 01:30 PM

Dunno, I can't bench 225, but then again, I didn't have to lift the washer over my head, either.Just don't be a girly man. :P

6' 4", 250lbs, can bench more than my body weight. A washer & dryer aren't very heavy to me. Full-size refrigerators tho, those suckers are a PITA ;)

Shawn
07-28-2006, 01:31 PM
if the seats can come out then probably.

funboy6942
07-28-2006, 02:10 PM
If you lay the washer down make sure to do it first outside on the ground to get all the water from the pump out. There will still be some water in there and it will suck when you lay it doen in the van and about half a gallon of water goes all over inside ;)

OH and if not a mini van you can rent a pick up truck from the car rental places or even uhaul. If you have a hitch on the back you can even rent a small trailer too.

SVT Cobra
07-28-2006, 02:15 PM
Originally posted by: fbrdphreak

Dunno, I can't bench 225, but then again, I didn't have to lift the washer over my head, either.Just don't be a girly man. :P

6' 4", 250lbs, can bench more than my body weight. A washer & dryer aren't very heavy to me. Full-size refrigerators tho, those suckers are a PITA ;)

Pfftt, I put them on my back and do farmers walks for cardio all the time. ;)

thedarkwolf
07-28-2006, 02:19 PM
This isn't that difficult. Even if you have to lay them both down on their sides just hang one out the back a little and strap themdown. Then tie the hatch down and your good to go. I'd suggest hanging the dryer out the back since its a hell of a lot lighter.

LordUnum
07-28-2006, 02:27 PM
Moved a washer & dryer several years ago with my parents' old '90 Dodge (non-Grand) Caravan. Both fit into the back with the rear bench seat gone, and the hatch completely closed. Man, that thing could haul loads of stuff effortlessly. If it weren't for an engine that went through head gaskets like there was no tomorrow, and its POS transmission, my parents might still have held onto it instead of getting their Forester.

Lounatik
07-28-2006, 02:43 PM
Get yourself a set of moving straps. (http://www.cameronpackaging.com/forearm_forklift.html) These things are amazing. I saw them one night while surfing the TV on QVC. I think Home Depot sells them. On QVC they had 2 women literally standing around talking to the host while they held up a refrigerator! They then proceeded to casually walk up four steps and out a stage door,all while holding the fridge in their arms. Freakin amazing.

The straps adjust for people of differnt heights too. I am getting a set of these this weekend if Home Depot or Lowes has them.

Edit: I checked both places online and got no results. I guess I am not getting the exact name right for the products they carry. I guess I'll have to go in person.

Also, QVC has them for about the same price as the wesite above.

Peace

Lounatik

mitaiwan82
07-28-2006, 03:31 PM

Originally posted by: mitaiwan82

Well what you think is very wrong.

Most dryers will be in the 100-125lb range, and most washers will be in the 130-160lb range.

Easy way to confirm this?

Go to Sears.com. Go to their Appliance Section > Washers and Dryers > Then go to product specs.

hmm you're right....the dryer didn't feel that heavy so I guess I'm just too strong for my own good :P

I still stand by the fact that the dryer is a lot easier to carry than the washer when I helped my friend move last summer (maybe he's got a light 100lb dryer and a heavy 160lb washer)

nakedfrog
07-28-2006, 03:35 PM
Originally posted by: Lounatik
Get yourself a set of moving straps. (http://www.cameronpackaging.com/forearm_forklift.html) These things are amazing. I saw them one night while surfing the TV on QVC. I think Home Depot sells them. On QVC they had 2 women literally standing around talking to the host while they held up a refrigerator! They then proceeded to casually walk up four steps and out a stage door,all while holding the fridge in their arms. Freakin amazing.

The straps adjust for people of differnt heights too. I am getting a set of these this weekend if Home Depot or Lowes has them.

Edit: I checked both places online and got no results. I guess I am not getting the exact name right for the products they carry. I guess I'll have to go in person.

Peace

Lounatik

:shocked:

Reduces weight of object by 66%

They're magical!

Lounatik
07-28-2006, 05:28 PM

Originally posted by: Lounatik

Peace

Lounatik

:shocked:

Reduces weight of object by 66%

They're magical!

Yep,magic FTW!!!!. I saw two guys hauling a commercial fridge alll around the set and could not believe that they were doing it. The straps go around your forearms and you criss cross the straps in the middle of the object you want to carry (your left arm is connected to the other persons left arm) . Then you sorta squat next to the item, place your hands flat against the item and use your legs to lift and voila! Instant furniture goon!

Peace

Lounatik

Britboy
07-28-2006, 06:30 PM
Yes, I did it several years ago, we had to take the back seats out altogether though.

EyeMWing
07-28-2006, 06:38 PM
In a turbovan or other old style minivan, hell yes. In a newer minivan, it's a crapshoot.

0roo0roo
07-28-2006, 06:40 PM
eh, those teflon pads for sliding furniture around might work once u get it part in?

doze
07-28-2006, 06:51 PM

Home Depot has that dumb policy where you have to buy something big but Lowes just let me rent the truck. I think it was $20 for the first 75 minutes (then $5 every 15 minutes after and that included gas

DrPizza
07-28-2006, 10:20 PM
Originally posted by: LordUnum
Moved a washer & dryer several years ago with my parents' old '90 Dodge (non-Grand) Caravan. Both fit into the back with the rear bench seat gone, and the hatch completely closed. Man, that thing could haul loads of stuff effortlessly. If it weren't for an engine that went through head gaskets like there was no tomorrow, and its POS transmission, my parents might still have held onto it instead of getting their Forester.

Grand Caravan here... that thing has hauled more than most people I know with pickup trucks have ever hauled. Washer and a Drier would easily fit inside. A 10 year old could load them with a piece of plywood and a blanket (inclined plane + something to prevent scratches.) I've carried a drier up a couple flights of stairs by myself... and I *can't* bench press even half my weight.