PDA

View Full Version : Is it dangerous to eat warm yogurt?


Henrythewound
03-30-2006, 02:59 PM
I bring a yogurt with me to work each day and some days I don't end up eating it until the afternoon (currently eating my warm yogurt now). By this time its fairly room temp but still tastes good (mmmm lemon). I was wondering at what point this habit might get me sick.

On a related note, what say you about my theory that ingesting a certain amount of potentially harmful bacteria can actually benefit you by building up your immune system?

For example, parents who let their kids play in the dirt etc expose their kids to germs, bacteria, etc. These kids may get sick initially, but will build up an immune system capable of defending against sickness later. These kids would have a better defense against various illnesses than say, kids whos parents never let them leave the house/ play on the floor for fear of germs.

rudder
03-30-2006, 03:00 PM
you'll get worms.

Crono
03-30-2006, 03:04 PM
Originally posted by: Henrythewound
I bring a yogurt with me to work each day and some days I don't end up eating it until the afternoon (currently eating my warm yogurt now). By this time its fairly room temp but still tastes good (mmmm lemon). I was wondering at what point this habit might get me sick.

On a related note, what say you about my theory that ingesting a certain amount of potentially harmful bacteria can actually benefit you by building up your immune system?

For example, parents who let their kids play in the dirt etc expose their kids to germs, bacteria, etc. These kids may get sick initially, but will build up an immune system capable of defending against sickness later. These kids would have a better defense against various illnesses than say, kids whos parents never let them leave the house/ play on the floor for fear of germs.

Immunity is lost over a period time. It's not like sickness is a slngle entity; there are a host of bacteria and viruses that can have adverse effects on the human body. THe bacteria in yougurt are harmless, though. The yogurt should be ok, epsecially if it's sealed, but I wouldn't touch it if it has been out for more than a day. In your case, go ahead and eat.

Eli
03-30-2006, 03:05 PM
It's fine. It won't go bad in the ~4-6 hours its warming up, unless ambient is like 85+.

Henrythewound
03-30-2006, 03:11 PM
I used to work at a grocery store and when stocking the dairy the palettes would sit out all day before getting all the "must be kept refrigerated" items into the cooler. I guess I figured eating yogurt at room T was no more dangerous than eating their yogurt that was once at room T all day.

Eli
03-30-2006, 03:13 PM
Originally posted by: Henrythewound
I used to work at a grocery store and when stocking the dairy the palettes would sit out all day before getting all the "must be kept refrigerated" items into the cooler. I guess I figured eating yogurt at room T was no more dangerous than eating their yogurt that was once at room T all day.Pretty much.

That sucks, though.. because it does reduce the products shelf life. I always worry about that stuff.. how well my local grocer treats their parishables.

markgm
03-30-2006, 03:15 PM
I got worms from doing it, but they went away after I took some pills. The pills were cheaper than a fridge.

ValkyrieofHouston
03-30-2006, 03:17 PM
If in doubt, throw it out! Why risk your health?

Eli
03-30-2006, 03:18 PM
Originally posted by: ValkyrieofHouston
If in doubt, throw it out! Why risk your health?It isn't risking your health.

Henrythewound
03-30-2006, 03:19 PM
Originally posted by: markgm
I got worms from doing it, but they went away after I took some pills. The pills were cheaper than a fridge.


lol, good point of view

Henrythewound
03-30-2006, 03:21 PM
Anyone ever see the 20/20 (or some similar show) that did the study on re-using water bottles? They tested the rims of many water bottles, some new, some re-used for weeks, some for months for various types of bacteria. The ones that were re-used had all kinds of gross bacteria on them. This still doesn't stop me from drinking out of the same Nalgene each day. Occasionally I rinse it out.

ValkyrieofHouston
03-30-2006, 03:22 PM
Even if the food looks and smells fine, it may not be safe to eat. Bacteria that causes food poisoning does not make food look any different. It will not smell bad or look funny. If the food has been warm, above 40 degrees, for more than two hours throw it away. Do not taste the food to see if it is still good.

markgm
03-30-2006, 03:22 PM
Originally posted by: Henrythewound
Anyone ever see the 20/20 (or some similar show) that did the study on re-using water bottles? They tested the rims of many water bottles, some new, some re-used for weeks, some for months for various types of bacteria. The ones that were re-used had all kinds of gross bacteria on them. This still doesn't stop me from drinking out of the same Nalgene each day. Occasionally I rinse it out.

You don't want to know how long my Nalgene bottle goes between washings...it would make a few people throw up a little.

tweakmm
03-30-2006, 03:23 PM
Originally posted by: Henrythewound
On a related note, what say you about my theory that ingesting a certain amount of potentially harmful bacteria can actually benefit you by building up your immune system?

It makes perfect logical sense, and seems to be backed up with scientific research. It seems people who pick their nose and eat the boogers have stronger immune systems.

However, I'm not sure if I'd be leaving my yogurt out in the warm sun intentionally to grow bacteria so I could eat it and strengthen my immunte system. :Q

Henrythewound
03-30-2006, 03:25 PM
Its not intentional, sometimes I just dont feel like yogurt until later

markgm
03-30-2006, 03:25 PM
Originally posted by: tweakmm

Originally posted by: Henrythewound
On a related note, what say you about my theory that ingesting a certain amount of potentially harmful bacteria can actually benefit you by building up your immune system?

It makes perfect logical sense, and seems to be backed up with scientific research. It seems people who pick their nose and eat the boogers have stronger immune systems.

However, I'm not sure if I'd be leaving my yogurt out in the warm sun intentionally to grow bacteria so I could eat it and strengthen my immunte system. :Q

So just pick your nose instead.

Eli
03-30-2006, 03:30 PM
Originally posted by: ValkyrieofHouston
Even if the food looks and smells fine, it may not be safe to eat. Bacteria that causes food poisoning does not make food look any different. It will not smell bad or look funny. If the food has been warm, above 40 degrees, for more than two hours throw it away. Do not taste the food to see if it is still good.:laugh:

You'd have to throw away half the dairy products in your average grocery store.

Come on.

Assuming that the product was 40 to begin with, it would probably take the entire two hours for it to become near ambient. It isn't going to magically go bad in 2 hours.

Or 4.

Or 6.

The time limit depends on ambient temperature. If you left it in a 120 car for 8 hours, that's a different story.

Besides, you aren't going to get food poisoning from sealed, but spoiled dairy products.

Maybe an upset tummy. If you have a weak stomach.

DAWeinG
03-30-2006, 03:37 PM
I eat warm yogurt all the time. It gets baked in my car for a couple hours before I touch it. It is fine, the strain of bacteria in there, Lactobacillus acidophilus is not harmful. If anything, the heat will probably make the bacteria multiply a bit faster. The bacteria help establish a beneficial flora in the intestinal lining. There are even dietary supplements that contain several bacteria strains (Primal Defense has 12 bacteria strains and Flora-Q has 4 bacteria strains). I'm taking one right now in fact.

Regarding your latter comment about children playing in the dirt, they will build up an immune defense against a sickness yes but there are so many germs and bacteria, which are also constantly mutating into different strains, that it has to be that exact same or very very similar to the germ that initially caused it. That's why people can't really develop an immune to the common cold because there are just so many germs that cause the common cold.

Edit: If the yogurt gets too hot, the bacteria might start dying. But either way, you are safe. If it has been sitting out more than a day, I would get a little bit concerned. But if it is just a couple hours, it is fine.

Henrythewound
03-30-2006, 04:09 PM
Yes, I have yet to consume DAY old yogurt, but in the interest of science, I might