PDA

View Full Version : How much should I expect to pay for lawn care?

MBony
03-29-2006, 06:54 PM
I have a front yard which is ~800sq. ft. and got a mailer from TruGreen for lawn service. They offer a $24.95 first spring treatment. My question is how many of these treatments are they hoping to get out of me? Anyone use these guys? If so, opinions?

Thanks

xanis
03-29-2006, 06:57 PM
Just do it yourself. Get a cheap lawnmower at Home Depot, some fertilizer and weed killer.

BlueWeasel
03-29-2006, 07:03 PM
We use a local landscaping company that does our front yard. I'm not sure the measured size (I have an irregular shaped front yard), but they do 7 treatments per year x $27 each. My sister-in-law and father-in-law use the same service and their yards look excellent.

Results aren't immediate, though...expect for it to take several months.

Squisher
03-29-2006, 07:09 PM
That's pretty small to get a lawn service.

For the cost of a couple of treatments you could buy a broadcast spreader and enough fertilizer for the first year.

HN
03-29-2006, 07:12 PM
i wish my grass was emo so it would cut itself.

Aquaman
03-29-2006, 07:16 PM
do it yourself :) Great exercise :)

Cheers,
Aquaman

HeroOfPellinor
03-29-2006, 07:20 PM
I mow and maintain 3,000 square feet of lawn in our front and back yards no problem myself. Half hour of mowing every 1-2 weeks. Another half hour of trimming once a month. Buy a seed dispenser or fertilize/weed kill in fall and spring. Good exercise and fun.

Phlargo
03-29-2006, 07:50 PM
Originally posted by: Aquaman

Cheers,
Aquaman

Self-propelled lawn mower FTW.

JLGatsby
03-29-2006, 07:52 PM
Only a fool mows their own lawn.

Takes me 3 hours to mow my lawn (even though it's only 1/5th an acre).

That's 3 hours a week I'll never get back. Plus the time it takes for me to "dress up" in work clothing, and then shower and clean up afterward.

"Every hour I save, is an hour added to my life."
--Ayn Rand

imported_Mike
03-29-2006, 07:55 PM
Originally posted by: JLGatsby

That's 3 hours a week I'll never get back. Plus the time it takes for me to "dress up" in work clothing, and then shower and clean up afterward.

--Ayn Rand

Then you have a sh!tty mower. I used to mow the lawn at my parents house in an hour. It was about an acre and I didn't have a riding lawn mower.

chambersc
03-29-2006, 07:59 PM
Originally posted by: HN

whoever thought of that is a genious.

Howard
03-29-2006, 07:59 PM

--Ayn Rand
Dress up in work clothing? So you dress up in business casual, or formal attire when bumming around the house?

HeroOfPellinor
03-29-2006, 08:00 PM

Do you have one leg?

JLGatsby
03-29-2006, 08:00 PM
Originally posted by: Mike
Then you have a sh!tty mower. I used to mow the lawn at my parents house in an hour. It was about an acre and I didn't have a riding lawn mower.

I got one of those lawnmowers where the backwheels spin automatically so you don't have to push it but I bag it. Mulching is for the "lower" classes.

And then in the middle of the summer, you're out there and it's 95 or 100 degrees, you're sweating, the gasoline is making you dizzy, the vibration of the lawnmower numbs your hands and makes blisters, you get sunburned, and people stare at you because they think you're mowing your lawn yourself because you're having financial problems.

It's just not worth it.

JLGatsby
03-29-2006, 08:02 PM
Originally posted by: Howard
Dress up in work clothing? So you dress up in business casual, or formal attire when bumming around the house?

Yes. I don't own a pair of jeans and always wear kahkis and a polo shirt (summer) and wool or cashmere sweater (winter).

I am never not wearing a collared shirt or sweater.

Eli
03-29-2006, 08:05 PM
Originally posted by: HN

OMFG

BWHAHHAHAHAHAHAAHA

That was awesome.

TripleAAA
03-29-2006, 08:20 PM
I just started paying $25/month for a dude to come out and mow and edge my lawn once every two weeks. Hasn't yet started so don't know how good he is.

As for the fertilizer/seeding, I'm out of this house soon so it will be up to the next owner.

dainthomas
03-29-2006, 08:33 PM
What kind of man doesn't mow his own yard?

HeroOfPellinor
03-29-2006, 08:35 PM
And then in the middle of the summer, you're out there and it's 95 or 100 degrees, you're sweating, the gasoline is making you dizzy, the vibration of the lawnmower numbs your hands and makes blisters, you get sunburned

You sound like a strapping young stud.

waggy
03-29-2006, 08:45 PM
yeah do it yourself.

I have ~3 acres. i been doing it with a self-propeled walk behind. but i have decided i will buy a rider this spring. Bu

imported_Mike
03-29-2006, 08:47 PM

I got one of those lawnmowers where the backwheels spin automatically so you don't have to push it but I bag it. Mulching is for the "lower" classes.

And then in the middle of the summer, you're out there and it's 95 or 100 degrees, you're sweating, the gasoline is making you dizzy, the vibration of the lawnmower numbs your hands and makes blisters, you get sunburned, and people stare at you because they think you're mowing your lawn yourself because you're having financial problems.

It's just not worth it.

hahaha, where do you live where people think you have financial problems if you mow your own lawn?

I had to do it while growing up, it was one of my "chores". That hour includes bagging. When you mow a near acre, you have to unload that crap plenty of times.

3 hours for 1/5 of an acre with an automatic mower seems impossible to me. Did you take a break to go watch TV? :D

Ronstang
03-29-2006, 08:56 PM

It's just not worth it.

No, you sound like a pussy with a completely whacked out ego. People think you have finacial problems if you cut your own lawn? I would rather not contribute to illegall Mexican labor myself. I enjoy yardwork. I don't consider it work. It is relaxing to me and I get it done exactly the way I want it. It doesn't take that long each week and I use the money I save for something better. If I am busy and don't have time to cut my lawn then I pay the next door neighbor kid to do it for me.

PhoenixOrion
03-29-2006, 09:17 PM
Originally posted by: Phlargo

Originally posted by: Aquaman

Cheers,
Aquaman

Self-propelled lawn mower FTW.

Self-propelled by 13-year old son or wife....I like that idea.

PhoenixOrion
03-29-2006, 09:21 PM
Originally posted by: Ronstang

It's just not worth it.

No, you sound like a pussy with a completely whacked out ego. People think you have finacial problems if you cut your own lawn? I would rather not contribute to illegall Mexican labor myself. I enjoy yardwork. I don't consider it work. It is relaxing to me and I get it done exactly the way I want it. It doesn't take that long each week and I use the money I save for something better. If I am busy and don't have time to cut my lawn then I pay the next door neighbor kid to do it for me.

But then again you have to look at it that some people here highly consider their time is big money. For example, if you make $70 per hour then it would make sense to hire somebody (or next door kid) and pay them $20 to mow the entire front and backyard. That I can understand.

imported_Mike
03-29-2006, 09:23 PM
Originally posted by: PhoenixOrion

It's just not worth it.

But then again you have to look at it that some people here highly consider their time is big money. For example, if you make $70 per hour then it would make sense to hire somebody (or next door kid) and pay them $20 to mow the entire front and backyard. That I can understand.

Yea....but we're talking about JLGatsby here....come on. ;)

Ronstang
03-29-2006, 09:24 PM

I completely understand and support that point of view, but JLGatsby can't simply say that. He has to find a way to talk down to people and feed his ego.

JLGatsby
03-29-2006, 09:29 PM

I'm self employed and in all honesty, I do have time to mow my lawn and it wouldn't add to my income to not mow it.

But I'd rather be :music:"spending warm summer days indoors":music: listening to Morrissey, reading Ayn Rand, and expousing my sacred opinions on ATOT.

It's worth paying to avoid smelling like sweat and gasoline for 2 or 3 hours a week.

mchammer
03-29-2006, 09:36 PM

I'm self employed and in all honesty, I do have time to mow my lawn and it wouldn't add to my income to not mow it.

But I'd rather be :music:"spending warm summer days indoors":music: listening to Morrissey, reading Ayn Rand, and expousing my sacred opinions on ATOT.

It's worth paying to avoid smelling like sweat and gasoline for 2 or 3 hours a week.

lol, will you stop bringing up Ayn Rand every five minutes.

waggy
03-29-2006, 09:38 PM
I actually enjoy working on my lawn. didt know that made me low class =(

TGregg
03-29-2006, 09:41 PM
Originally posted by: HeroOfPellinor

And then in the middle of the summer, you're out there and it's 95 or 100 degrees, you're sweating, the gasoline is making you dizzy, the vibration of the lawnmower numbs your hands and makes blisters, you get sunburned

You sound like a strapping young stud.

:beer:

Ronstang
03-29-2006, 09:43 PM
Originally posted by: waggy
I actually enjoy working on my lawn. didt know that made me low class =(

It doesn't. Some of the richest people I know work in their yards.....and I can guarrantee they are richer than JLGatsby.

JLGatsby
03-29-2006, 09:47 PM
It doesn't. Some of the richest people I know work in their yards.....and I can guarrantee they are richer than JLGatsby.

"Work in their yards" is not equal to "mow your lawn."

People of all sorts enjoy doing gardening and other outdoor yard upkeeping.

But most people with any money usually have a yard that requires more time to maintenance than the owner has available.

Many people's landscaping may require a dozen workers to spend hours working on it.

Either they're one of two things, rich simpletons (most likely old people) or not that rich.

fitzov
03-29-2006, 09:49 PM

Yeah, but when that new bill passes they'll fine you for hiring that illegal. Then you'll have to sell your Morrisey CDs for 5$.

JLGatsby
03-29-2006, 09:51 PM
Originally posted by: fitzov
Yeah, but when that new bill passes they'll fine you for hiring that illegal. Then you'll have to sell your Morrisey CDs for 5$.

Who says the people who mow my lawn are illegal? Most of them are white hillbillies. I think I've seen a few Mexicans, but that doesn't mean they're illegal.

silverpig
03-29-2006, 09:53 PM
Push reel mower ftw! Lots of sun, keep it well watered, fertilize regularly... mmm.

Cipherfaction
03-29-2006, 09:54 PM
i say do it your self..

spidey07
03-29-2006, 09:54 PM
I can say in all honesty you will get MUCH better results if you do it yourself.

It takes literally like 10 minutes 4-5 times a year.

JLGatsby
03-29-2006, 09:56 PM
Originally posted by: spidey07

It only takes 10 minutes to mow a lawn and you only mow it 4-5 times a year?

Congrats, that was the dumbest post of the day.

Ronstang
03-29-2006, 09:57 PM

Originally posted by: spidey07

It only takes 10 minutes to mow a lawn and you only mow it 4-5 times a year?

Congrats, that was the dumbest post of the day.

He is talking about fertilizing the lawn dumbass.........but I guess you didn't actually pay attention to the original post.

JLGatsby
03-29-2006, 09:58 PM
but I guess you didn't actually pay attention to the original post.

Yeah but, who ever reads the OP? Fertilizing still takes more than 10 minutes I say. I would say atleast 45 minutes.

KK
03-29-2006, 10:04 PM

--Ayn Rand

So what you are getting at is daddy mows the grass.

JLGatsby
03-29-2006, 10:05 PM
Originally posted by: KK

I own my own house and I'm 23 years old. To top it off, my house is worth twice as much as the one I grew up in did.

KK
03-29-2006, 10:14 PM

Originally posted by: KK

I own my own house and I'm 23 years old. To top it off, my house is worth twice as much as the one I grew up in did.

okay there chief, whatever you say.

Snoogums Boogums
03-29-2006, 10:19 PM

Internet translation: I'm a 23 year old virgin living in my parents basement

hellman69
03-29-2006, 10:43 PM
Originally posted by: silverpig
Push reel mower ftw! Lots of sun, keep it well watered, fertilize regularly... mmm.

Amen! I love my push mower. It's a good exercise, less maintenance, plus all the neighbors love it. They will interrupt all the time, reminicising about when they had to mow with one of those.

Trevor

Jawo
03-29-2006, 11:55 PM
Pay a neighbor kid to do it if you dont want to mow the lawn...