PDA

View Full Version : Do animals act weird before natural disasters?

Schadenfroh
10-24-2005, 08:17 PM
I know some of you live in California. Do your pets act strange before an earthquake hits or do you notice anything strange with the wild life.

or is all this about animals predicting earthquakes BS?

Shawn
10-24-2005, 08:18 PM
I don't know but I can tell you that wildlife seems to disappear right before a hurricane comes. They seem to know somehow.

Eli
10-24-2005, 08:21 PM
Yes, it is a well documented phenomenon.

We have no way to explain it. It does make you think..

There are definitely things out there that we don't understand.

illusion88
10-24-2005, 08:22 PM
MY dog once started going ape ****** about 10 minutes before a very minor quake whoes epicenter was about 3 miles away.
I think he saw a cat though.

Juno
10-24-2005, 08:22 PM
correct me if i'm wrong.

animals might predict.

farmers used pigs to predict the weather, can you imagine that?

BrianH1
10-24-2005, 08:23 PM
i know that cows will huddle together right before it rains or a bad thunderstorm. happened all the time where i grew up.

NikPreviousAcct
10-24-2005, 08:24 PM
Originally posted by: Eli

...but it couldn't possibly be God, now could it. ;) :P

*dons flame suit*

:evil:

So
10-24-2005, 08:26 PM
Originally posted by: Nik

*dons flame suit*

Yes, because there's no rational explanation that could possibly exist for this. :roll:

spidey07
10-24-2005, 08:32 PM

Yep, they can sense things we cannot measure.

With all our great minds and knowledge, there is so much we cannot measure or understand. It is for this reason that I cannot fully discount unexplained phenomena - psychics, ghosts, angels, etc. Not that I believe in them, but I cannot fully discount them.

NikPreviousAcct
Originally posted by: So

*dons flame suit*

Yes, because there's no rational explanation that could possibly exist for this. :roll:

Right. Because almighty, all powerful beings can be explained away by man's puny "rational" thought. :roll:

:D cool this'll be fun :D

NikPreviousAcct
Originally posted by: spidey07

With all our great minds and knowledge, there is so much we cannot measure or understand. It is for this reason that I cannot fully discount unexplained phenomena - psychics, ghosts, angels, etc. Not that I believe in them, but I cannot fully discount them.

You cannot fully discount them? Can you discount them at all?

spidey07
10-24-2005, 08:34 PM

You cannot fully discount them? Can you discount them at all?

No. I remain skeptical and these occurances are in someway plausible.

NikPreviousAcct
10-24-2005, 08:36 PM
:thumbsup: to open minds

BrokenVisage
10-24-2005, 08:38 PM
I don't know about animals acting weird before natural disasters, but this year some humans sure did act weird AFTER one.. weird being an understatement.

spidey07
10-24-2005, 08:38 PM
:thumbsup: to open minds

We understand so little.

Hence the animals reacting before we do. They've been around alot longer than us. Although I believe atmospheric conditions are the current line of thinking.

wchou
10-24-2005, 08:42 PM
I SMELL FEAR. :shocked:

BriGy86
10-24-2005, 08:45 PM
well a lot i think has to do with berametric pressure, my grandma was able to feel it, her elbow would always get tingly before it rained because the atmospheric pressure would change around her affecting her elbow

most people i don't think can feel changes like that but perhaps animals can, after all a lot of old time fishermen looked at a berometer to see if fishing would be good that day too

Eli
10-24-2005, 08:49 PM
Atmospheric conditions don't explain reactions to earthquakes and tsunamis, though...

BriGy86
10-24-2005, 08:50 PM
Atmospheric conditions don't explain reactions to earthquakes and tsunamis, though...

true, as for those things, i have no idea why animals flip out

spidey07
10-24-2005, 08:52 PM

I would fathom that they feel the earthquake before the tsunami and possibly tremors before the earthquake.

That was my point - they can "feel" things we can't measure.

There was a really good movie about this with John Travolta I believe, good stuff.

shimsham
10-24-2005, 08:55 PM
barometric pressure and such for hurricanes and storms?

small tremors? undetectable by us, much like elephants can communicate for miles with low growls that we cant hear.

So
10-24-2005, 08:59 PM

I would fathom that they feel the earthquake before the tsunami and possibly tremors before the earthquake.

There was a really good movie about this with John Travolta I believe, good stuff.

In every case I've heard of, we could indeed measure it, but the warning didn't go out/was not heeded. Just because animals are more sensitive to certain input than humans doesn't mean anything other than that. Many animals are more sensitive than humans.

I reiterate, we did measure the earthquake that preceeded the 2004 tsunami.

If you think that animals running from a natural disaster is evidence of the supernatural, I can't say I hold your ideas on science in high esteem.

shimsham
10-24-2005, 09:08 PM
Text (http://biology.about.com/od/animalbehavior/a/aa123104a.htm)

Eli
10-24-2005, 09:31 PM

In every case I've heard of, we could indeed measure it, but the warning didn't go out/was not heeded. Just because animals are more sensitive to certain input than humans doesn't mean anything other than that. Many animals are more sensitive than humans.

If you think that animals running from a natural disaster is evidence of the supernatural, I can't say I hold your ideas on science in high esteem.Err..

The whole point is that they evacuate the area before the earthquake/tsunami.

Remember that the 2004 tsunami hit places where the earthquake wasn't felt.

FP
10-24-2005, 09:36 PM
My dog (http://us.ent3.yimg.com/tv.yahoo.com/images/he/photo/tv_pix/fox/family_guy/seth_macfarlane/gal_brian1-th3.jpg) tends to drink a lot right before earthquakes.

In all seriousness, yes. My dog tends to run around and bark right before even the smallest earthquake.

Triumph
10-24-2005, 09:46 PM
Maybe before Katrina, all of the animals were asking one another, as they watched the humans flee the city, "How do you think they all know when to leave?"

DCFife
10-24-2005, 10:35 PM
Remember the Northridge quake in '94? I was living in Las Vegas at the time and my wife had a few finches (birds) that were in a cage in our room. It was the wee hours of the morning and we were asleep when the birds started going absolutely nuts - flying around the cage, chirping, etc. About 30 or so seconds later we felt the quake - pretty good shaking even though we were about 250 miles from the epicenter.

D

wchou
10-24-2005, 11:01 PM
Originally posted by: binister
My dog (http://us.ent3.yimg.com/tv.yahoo.com/images/he/photo/tv_pix/fox/family_guy/seth_macfarlane/gal_brian1-th3.jpg) tends to drink a lot right before earthquakes.

In all seriousness, yes. My dog tends to run around and bark right before even the smallest earthquake.

dogs will bark at anything...

spidey07
10-24-2005, 11:02 PM

If you think that animals running from a natural disaster is evidence of the supernatural, I can't say I hold your ideas on science in high esteem.Err..

The whole point is that they evacuate the area before the earthquake/tsunami.

Remember that the 2004 tsunami hit places where the earthquake wasn't felt.

-edit-

what I'm trying to say is they sense these things. and they sense it in ways humans can't measure.

Tell me that a huge tsunami is not going to be detectible before humans and I'll by you a chicken sandwitch.

While animals are going "gee, looks like the earth is moving and the water receeding. That means I need to get the F out of here"

Humans don't have that much evolution or senses.

If the animals decide to "get the F out", one would be wise to follow no matter what the news or intarweb says.