PDA

View Full Version : If you swallow and choke on something can the food end up in your lung?

Maximilian
04-05-2008, 01:33 PM
Can it? Is there a "wrong tube" for the food to go down? or is there some clever way your bodys arranged that makes it impossible?

If its not possible what exactly happens when you choke on food?

dug777
04-05-2008, 01:35 PM
Yes.

Anatomy 101 ftw ;)

Maximilian
04-05-2008, 01:36 PM
Originally posted by: dug777
Yes.

Anatomy 101 ftw ;)

Seriously?! What happens to it from there? Does the lung absorb it over a number of months/years?

40Hands
04-05-2008, 01:37 PM
Hells yeah it can. When I was 6 I inhaled a piece of carrot. The doctors said I was lucky it was raw otherwise they wouldn't have been able to get it out as easily.

Originally posted by: Soviet
Yes.

Anatomy 101 ftw ;)

Seriously?! What happens to it from there? Does the lung absorb it over a number of months/years?

Heh...no! You gag and vomit, gag and vomit, gag and dry heave....repeat.

dug777
04-05-2008, 01:41 PM
Yes.

Anatomy 101 ftw ;)

I'd guess you either retch it up, or it rots in your lung, and you die...in the ass ;)

BW86
04-05-2008, 01:42 PM
is there some clever way your bodys arranged that makes it impossible?

impossible? No, but the epiglottis prevents food from going down the trachea when you swallow.

Maximilian
04-05-2008, 01:49 PM
Sweet, good to know. I think ive coughed up the bit of tuna now and it went down the right tube :thumbsup:

eits
04-05-2008, 01:49 PM
yes.

Farang
04-05-2008, 02:45 PM
Yes, when drinking I pound shots of vodka into my lung if my stomach is too full with beer.

WildHorse
04-05-2008, 03:07 PM
``

Acanthus
04-05-2008, 03:53 PM
You definately can, i knew i kid that inhaled a blade of grass through his mouth and it got lodged in a lung. He had uncontrollable coughing and vomiting for 2 hours before they performed surgery to remove it.

Iron Woode
04-05-2008, 04:01 PM
Can it? Is there a "wrong tube" for the food to go down? or is there some clever way your bodys arranged that makes it impossible?

If its not possible what exactly happens when you choke on food?
i had something like that happen while I was sleeping.

I aspirated some of my stomach contents due to acid reflux while I was sleeping. Probably the most unpleasant way to wake up ever. I coughed and hacked for nearly an hour. Getting that horrible aftertaste out of my mouth and throat took nearly an hour.

MotionMan
04-05-2008, 04:11 PM
It is called Pulmonary Aspiration (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pulmonary_aspiration). The elderly are at risk for it a lot because their Epiglottis (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epiglottis) stops working well.

My wife use to observe Modified Barium Swallow Studies (http://www.cedwvu.org/programs/feeding/mbss.html) for the elderly as a speech pathologist in order to assist in diagnosing Epiglottis problems.

MotionMan

spidey07
04-05-2008, 04:15 PM
Originally posted by: Acanthus
You definately can, i knew i kid that inhaled a blade of grass through his mouth and it got lodged in a lung. He had uncontrollable coughing and vomiting for 2 hours before they performed surgery to remove it.

True, the body will do everything it can to expel it.

But when you choke something is lodged at the junction of your windpipe and the stomach tube (don't recall "real names). This is why the heimlich works so well (I've had to do it a few times, it works) - it uses the air in your lungs to push the object out so your body can cough it up.

Also if somebody is coughing, let them cough it out. It's when they can't breath that you do a heimlich on them. Turning blue means you need to act NOW.

Schfifty Five
04-05-2008, 06:56 PM
LOL, typical ATOTer.

So you potentially were choking on something and the first thing you did was come make a thread about it?

Amazing.

Kirby64
04-05-2008, 07:10 PM
Originally posted by: Schfifty Five
LOL, typical ATOTer.

So you potentially were choking on something and the first thing you did was come make a thread about it?

Amazing.

Don't lie, you would do it too.