PDA

View Full Version : 40 oz. Steel Reserve high Gravity Malt Liquor vs a 6 pack of beer

dxkj
06-22-2005, 12:27 PM
40 ounces of malt liquor * .081 (8.1%) alcohol content = 3.24 ounces of alcohol

72 ounces of avg beer * .045 (4.5%) alcohol content = 3.24 ounces of alcohol

Hrm its a tie... seems too conveniently exact to me....

$1.69 for the 40
$4-6 for the 12 pack

ok the malt liquor wins!

rayray2
06-22-2005, 12:32 PM
Yeah, but Steel Reserve is NASTY!!!!

dxkj
06-22-2005, 12:34 PM
Originally posted by: rayray2

It's not the best, but it isnt that bad. What kind of beer do you drink?

I put it above MGD Light and Bud Light for sure :)

eigen

You are obviously not an alcoholic.

imported_whatever
Thats why people drink 40s even though actual beer tastes better

jonjonsanfru
06-22-2005, 12:35 PM
Steel Reserve should come with a free beer bong... oh man, when your poor and want to get SLOSHED... Steel Reserve is there. Good stories always start with, "So we got some Steel Reserve..." Everyone knows where THAT story goes :)

theMan
06-22-2005, 12:36 PM
why not just drink some warm vodka?

MetalMat
Steel reserve is 5.9 abv, not 8.1

Mrvile
why not just drink some rubbing alcohol?

dxkj
Originally posted by: jonjonsanfru
Steel Reserve should come with a free beer bong... oh man, when your poor and want to get SLOSHED... Steel Reserve is there. Good stories always start with, "So we got some Steel Reserve..." Everyone knows where THAT story goes :)

I had 3 40's of steel reserve and then some bud lights... man, steel reserve is the only stuff I can drink anymore short of hard liquor to get a good buz going.

rayray2
06-22-2005, 12:37 PM
Originally posted by: eigen

Actually I am unfortunately. I prefer Old English High Gravity 40's. 8.0% ABV

dxkj
06-22-2005, 12:37 PM
Originally posted by: MetalMat

Wrong

the 24's are 6.0

the 40's come in 8.1 % I know this for sure

rayray2
06-22-2005, 12:38 PM

Maybe in your state, I know in Texas it's 8.1%

eigen

Oh, cool me too.Nice to meet you I am eigen.

dxkj

I should try that out, thanks!

imported_whatever
Originally posted by: theman
why not just drink some warm vodka?
can you find 8oz of vodka (about how much it takes for that much alcohol) for $1.69?

gigapet
try drinking 3 steel reserve 40's and tell me if you are able to stand straight.

that shiz is crazy

MetalMat
06-22-2005, 12:40 PM

Maybe in your state, I know in Texas it's 8.1%

Hmm, I have never seen the steel reserve 40's, but I would get them if I could cause 8.1% is awesome. I live in Louisiana.

gigapet
06-22-2005, 12:40 PM

your so wrong

gigapet
06-22-2005, 12:41 PM
anyone try Double bastard before? i THINK ITS LIKE 11% and it degrades you and makes fun of you on the label

dxkj
06-22-2005, 12:42 PM
Originally posted by: gigapet
try drinking 3 steel reserve 40's and tell me if you are able to stand straight.

that shiz is crazy

I did.. and I was... I hate having a high tolerance.

Rastus
I have found the hangover starts about half way through a 40 of high gravity stuff.

shud
Man I got so f*cked up this one night when we did "Edward Fortyhands." I'd already had a couple beers and then I had 2 40s of malt liquor taped to my hands and drank both of them combined in about an hour. I walked to this other house and had to go home because I was falling asleep on the porch.

One Steel Reserve HG will do the trick too. Malt Liquor is some serious sh!t. Mickey's is also pretty good.

dxkj
06-22-2005, 12:43 PM
anyone try Double bastard before? i THINK ITS LIKE 11% and it degrades you and makes fun of you on the label

nope, never seen that

Conky
Two cents worth of gasoline on a rag will get you even higher than that Steel Reserve. :laugh:
Sometimes it's worth it to pay a little more for a better experience. :beer:

gigapet
Originally posted by: dxkj

that shiz is crazy

shens

mordantmonkey
you guys are pansies.
This Beer (http://www.40ozmaltliquor.com/camoice.html) is where it's at.
9.0 baby. the silver bullet aint got nothin on me.

dxkj
06-22-2005, 12:45 PM

that shiz is crazy

shens

lol whatever man... ask anyone I know.. It was over 2hrs. If I could pound them in 1hr somehow Im sure it would be different.

shud
06-22-2005, 12:46 PM
There's a brewer called Bell's that makes a couple different kinds of "beer" (although I don't think you can be over 6% abv and officially be a beer) that are in the 11-15% range or something like that.

MetalMat
06-22-2005, 12:48 PM

that shiz is crazy

shens

I believe him, depending on how fast he did it.

gigapet
06-22-2005, 12:48 PM

nope, never seen that

DOUBLE BASTARD (http://www.arrogantbastard.com/doublebastard/2004/double.gif)

eigen
06-22-2005, 12:50 PM
anybody sip on the Lablatt extreme

MetalMat
06-22-2005, 12:51 PM
I like this myself, it tastes good and had a pretty high abv (8.5).

SKULL SPLITTER (http://www.legendslimited.com/skull.html)

gigapet
06-22-2005, 12:51 PM

that shiz is crazy

shens

if you do it in under 2 hours you are a done deal man.

imported_whatever
06-22-2005, 12:52 PM

that shiz is crazy

shens

lol whatever man... ask anyone I know.. It was over 2hrs. If I could pound them in 1hr somehow Im sure it would be different.
The sheer volume helps somewhat by introducing more water (and therefore lower % alcohol) to your blood. Think of it this way: 3 40s is almost a gallon (120oz v 128 oz). This helps a LOT compared to drinking an equivilant amount of hard liquor.

mordantmonkey
06-22-2005, 12:53 PM
i thought this thread was about cheap high ABV beer. whats with all this expensive crap? i'm telling you camo silver ice can't be beat for the dollar. at least beer wise.

dxkj
06-22-2005, 01:00 PM
Originally posted by: mordantmonkey
i thought this thread was about cheap high ABV beer. whats with all this expensive crap? i'm telling you camo silver ice can't be beat for the dollar. at least beer wise.

How much is it?

dxkj
06-22-2005, 01:00 PM

that shiz is crazy

shens

Last time I had 3, i had 3 and then 2 more normal beers in 3hrs.... the 40's took about 2hrs 15 minutes

gigapet
06-22-2005, 01:01 PM

that shiz is crazy

shens

Last time I had 3, i had 3 and then 2 more normal beers in 3hrs.... the 40's took about 2hrs 15 minutes

maybe your just a freak of nature then.

dxkj
06-22-2005, 01:01 PM

that shiz is crazy

shens

maybe your just a freak of nature then.

It sucks to be me :(

mordantmonkey
06-22-2005, 01:02 PM

How much is it?

1.09 for a 24oz. they don't sell 40's were i'm at. i have to go across the state line to KS to get 40's :(

edit:it say's 9.0 but i tell you, that sh|t is magical.

BigJ
06-22-2005, 01:05 PM

3 40's of Steel Reserve HG is equal to 18 beers right? And for bigger guys that have a high tolerance, 18 beers in 2 hours is not unheard of.

dxkj
06-22-2005, 01:05 PM

How much is it?

1.09 for a 24oz. they don't sell 40's were i'm at. i have to go across the state line to KS to get 40's :(

edit:it say's 9.0 but i tell you, that sh|t is magical.

doh, well thats still a good price... the 24's of steel reserve are 1.09 also, but lower AC

dxkj
06-22-2005, 01:07 PM
Originally posted by: BigJ

that shiz is crazy

shens

3 40's of Steel Reserve HG is equal to 18 beers right? And for bigger guys that have a high tolerance, 18 beers in 2 hours is not unheard of.

When I had those I was 6'2 and 225 lbs, no major gut yet, but I dont do that much beer all the time.

gigapet
06-22-2005, 01:08 PM

that shiz is crazy

shens

i can polish off an 18 pack fine but high gravity malt liquor its not the same as coors light

BigJ
06-22-2005, 01:09 PM

When I had those I was 6'2 and 225 lbs, no major gut yet, but I dont do that much beer all the time.

I've done it quite a few times myself, but I usually either Bong or Shotgun beers. I'm 6'1 240 and in good enough shape.

dxkj
06-22-2005, 01:11 PM

I've done it quite a few times myself, but I usually either Bong or Shotgun beers. I'm 6'1 240 and in good enough shape.

People that say OMGWTF no way you drank that and didnt roll into a gutter, either dont have big drinking friends, or hang out with a bunch of lightweights.

I know some guys that drink more than me and seem no worse off, some people are !@% crazy in what they can take. Anyone read that article about the russians drinking vodka contest :P

devilfish
06-22-2005, 01:12 PM
want the sh!ts... drink Old English or Steel Reserve High Gravity... i crapped my intestines out...

azazyel
06-22-2005, 01:15 PM
Haven't drank that stuff in a very long time. They do make OK ghetto brass monkeys but Mickeys works better.

I was playing High Low RB with a friend and he ended up with like 40 drinks so he pounded an entire 40 of that stuff in under a min. Well when he was done his eyes glazed over and he ran outside to yack.

zbalat
06-22-2005, 01:41 PM
Originally posted by: shud
There's a brewer called Bell's that makes a couple different kinds of "beer" (although I don't think you can be over 6% abv and officially be a beer) that are in the 11-15% range or something like that.

Expedition Stout (http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/287/1444/)

Sam Adams Utopias 25% (http://www.internetwines.com/rws28347.html)

EDIT: Neither one of these are inexpensive.

Qwest
06-22-2005, 01:46 PM
man, Steel Reserve smelled like gasoline back in college, but 2 for $3, how could you go wrong?

chrisms
06-22-2005, 02:05 PM
Don't buy that 40.

First, there are many six packs you can get which have 5-5.9% abv. You must be buying light beer to get this 4.5% crap.

Second, where are you buying six packs of 12 ouncers? Around here a six pack of tall cans (16 oz) is $4+tax.

Third, Steel Reserve gives you a bad drunk. Drink it and you'll be wasted for a few hours and then you'll pass right out. It makes you tired as hell. I think they take a normal macro beer and pour a bunch of sugar and everclear into it.

Finally, 6 beers x 16 ounces = 96 ounces. 96 ounces x 5.5% abv = 5.28 ounces of alcohol.

Dubb
06-22-2005, 02:19 PM
here's what I would do:

one of these: http://www.dogfish.com/beer/120minuteipa.cfm

that's $8 per 12 oz bottle 12*.21 = 2.52 oz of alky. not as much as your numbers but you only have to drink one, and:

it's heavenly tasty :) (that sam adams utopias tastes like ass)

PinmasterJay
06-22-2005, 02:21 PM
Rock Head Malt Liquor (http://www.40ozmaltliquor.com/rockhead.html) is where its at.
Can only find it in one grocery store in Madison, WI for $1.69. 11% baby:):beer:

tweakmm
06-22-2005, 02:31 PM
1) This is a stupid comparison to make on a nation scale because the amounts of alcohol in beer and malt liquor will vary between each state. In NC, there are no 40s of Steel and it has 6.0% alcohol. There are also no 8% malt liquors: OE800, Colt45 and Magnum all have 5.9%.

2) Who ever said that 18 drinks in 2 hours is impossible without being ridiculously drunk does not have many big drinking friends. I had a timed(and video recorded) edward 40's hands match against a friend and I finished the first 40 in 3'15" and the second by 16'25" and I was buzzed. I could have easily drank another one by the 45 minute mark and another(around 17 drinks) by 2 hours and could probably walk a straight line fairly well. I'm also sure I have another friend or two who could hang with me. I'm not some 300 pound drunk either, I'm 6'2" and 205 pounds but apparently I picked up some alcohol tolerance genes from my family. You lightweights should feel lucky, it's so expensive to get drunk just off decent beer and a fortune if I want to drink something nice. I hate having a high tolerance, but what can one do?

dxkj
06-22-2005, 02:32 PM
Originally posted by: chrisms
Don't buy that 40.

First, there are many six packs you can get which have 5-5.9% abv. You must be buying light beer to get this 4.5% crap.

Second, where are you buying six packs of 12 ouncers? Around here a six pack of tall cans (16 oz) is $4+tax.

Third, Steel Reserve gives you a bad drunk. Drink it and you'll be wasted for a few hours and then you'll pass right out. It makes you tired as hell. I think they take a normal macro beer and pour a bunch of sugar and everclear into it.

Finally, 6 beers x 16 ounces = 96 ounces. 96 ounces x 5.5% abv = 5.28 ounces of alcohol.

around here 6 pack is 12 ounces each, and the avg AC is 4.5... some have 5.... rarely have more than that...

dxkj
06-22-2005, 02:35 PM
Originally posted by: tweakmm
1) This is a stupid comparison to make on a nation scale because the amounts of alcohol in beer and malt liquor will vary between each state. In NC, there are no 40s of Steel and it has 6.0% alcohol. There are also no 8% malt liquors: OE800, Colt45 and Magnum all have 5.9%.

2) Who ever said that 18 drinks in 2 hours is impossible without being ridiculously drunk does not have many big drinking friends. I had a timed(and video recorded) edward 40's hands match against a friend and I finished the first 40 in 3'15" and the second by 16'25" and I was buzzed. I could have easily drank another one by the 45 minute mark and another(around 17 drinks) by 2 hours and could probably walk a straight line fairly well. I probably have another friend or two who could hang with me also. I'm not some 300 pound drunk either, I'm 6'2" and 205 pounds but apparently I picked up some alcohol tolerance genes from my family.

I agree about the varying %'s

Also #2 , amen brother. I think it must be genes, I have no other clue why, and any time I tell people how much I drank the night before, they call shens, or roll their eyes.... ah the persecution

shud
06-22-2005, 02:37 PM
I drank 15 beers in an hour and a half and thought the wallpaper in the bathroom was moving. This was only about 4 months after I started heavy partying though.

I can do 12 in 2 hours or so and be ok to drive...well, by my standards. :D So I can imagine someone with more of a tolerance for alcohol and carbonation could just chug a bunch in a row and easily do 18 in 2 hours.

azazyel
06-22-2005, 02:39 PM
I drank 15 beers in an hour and a half and thought the wallpaper in the bathroom was moving. This was only about 4 months after I started heavy partying though.

I can do 12 in 2 hours or so and be ok to drive...well, by my standards. :D So I can imagine someone with more of a tolerance for alcohol and carbonation could just chug a bunch in a row and easily do 18 in 2 hours.

but far from the legal ones...

BurnItDwn
06-22-2005, 02:49 PM
Originally posted by: Crazyfool
Two cents worth of gasoline on a rag will get you even higher than that Steel Reserve. :laugh:
Sometimes it's worth it to pay a little more for a better experience. :beer:

While I didn't understand the concept of quality during my first year in college (Fall 1998- Spring 1999, I was on the "get drunk every day on a shoestring budget" plan), I've learned a lot since then. Now I don't mind dropping $12 for 6 bottles of Hoegaarden, it's so damn good. That being said, If I plan on getting drunk cheap I switch to Jim Beam or Captain Morgan ... IMO they are of decent quality and excellent value. If I am celebrating something, and don't mind spending a bit, then it's Bombay Saphire, Makers Mark, and/or Captain Morgan Private Stock ... (and sometimes 1800 when I am in a tequilla mood)

EDIT:

2) Who ever said that 18 drinks in 2 hours is impossible without being ridiculously drunk does not have many big drinking friends. I had a timed(and video recorded) edward 40's hands match against a friend and I finished the first 40 in 3'15" and the second by 16'25" and I was buzzed. I could have easily drank another one by the 45 minute mark and another(around 17 drinks) by 2 hours and could probably walk a straight line fairly well. I'm also sure I have another friend or two who could hang with me. I'm not some 300 pound drunk either, I'm 6'2" and 205 pounds but apparently I picked up some alcohol tolerance genes from my family. You lightweights should feel lucky, it's so expensive to get drunk just off decent beer and a fortune if I want to drink something nice. I hate having a high tolerance, but what can one do?

I feel your pain. I'm no longer a drunk, but I am a lot closer to 300 pounds then you are. I will drink a few drinks at a bar, but I don't get drunk at them, not worth the $50+ it will cost (or $100+ for top shelf liquor or club type bars.)

For $20 I can get a 1.75L of the Captain or Jim Beam. Good enough for me and plenty enough to get drunk twice. (though I don't mind shelling out $25 for the 750ML bottles of Cap'n Private Stock, Makers Mark, or 1800, or the ocassional $50 for a 1.75L bottle of Bombay Saphire...)

shud
06-22-2005, 02:51 PM
I don't really like the taste of beer, I only drink it to get drunk and because it's cheaper and much less painful than hard liquors. It's also more socially feasable than giving everyone mixed drinks at a houseparty. That being said, the only kind I really like the taste of is Bass. Killian's is ok.

Give me a case of Natty or Beast for $8.99 from UDF any day.

CrazyDe1
06-22-2005, 02:58 PM
Evil Eye...enough said

tweakmm
06-22-2005, 03:00 PM
Also #2 , amen brother. I think it must be genes, I have no other clue why, and any time I tell people how much I drank the night before, they call shens, or roll their eyes.... ah the persecution

Many have witnessed my various obscene alcohol acts, so most take what I say as truth or if not, there is usually some around to verify that I am in fact a beast.:D

PinmasterJay
06-22-2005, 03:01 PM

Agree with the different %s. Minnesota doesn't have anything higher than like 4.2% or something AFAIK.

CrazyDe1
06-22-2005, 03:03 PM
Also, how fast can you pound a steele? I've got a buddy who did it in a minute and 10 seconds. The only way I can even get close to that is out of a cup....

PinmasterJay
06-22-2005, 03:04 PM

Another vote for the Beast. Here in Madison they are very often as cheap as $40 for a half barrel.

bigdog1218
06-22-2005, 03:10 PM
Me and my friends got bored with the standard drinking games and started doubling everthing, double power hour, century club, fortyhands. We would then go out and hilarity would ensue for about the half hour we could remember. The worse thing we found was using two different 40s for fortyhands. One always tasted way worse than the other and was more of a pain to put down.

shud
06-22-2005, 03:13 PM
Originally posted by: PinmasterJay

Another vote for the Beast. Here in Madison they are very often as cheap as $40 for a half barrel.

There's a Miller Distributor practically on campus here and they often sell recently expired Beast Red (the regular stuff) and Ice cases for $5 illegally.

They also have PBR kegs for $35. :)

shud
06-22-2005, 03:14 PM
Originally posted by: bigdog1218
Me and my friends got bored with the standard drinking games and started doubling everthing, double power hour, century club, fortyhands. We would then go out and hilarity would ensue for about the half hour we could remember. The worse thing we found was using two different 40s for fortyhands. One always tasted way worse than the other and was more of a pain to put down.

Ugh, yeah. I did one with a King Cobra and Magnum. Switching from Anheiser to Miller repeatedly was sickening.

PinmasterJay
06-22-2005, 03:17 PM
Originally posted by: CrazyDe1
Also, how fast can you pound a steele? I've got a buddy who did it in a minute and 10 seconds. The only way I can even get close to that is out of a cup....

I have a buddy in LaCrosse that bonged a 40 of Camo Triple Malt (8.5%). He also bonged 12 oz. of Siberian Ice Vodka and kept it down it was insane.

He just turned 21 2 nights ago and it took all we had to get him drunk...LOL

shud
06-22-2005, 03:18 PM
I chugged a half of a Colt 45 40oz once. It's not nearly as bad as chugging more heavily carbonated things like beer.

dxkj
06-22-2005, 03:25 PM
Originally posted by: CrazyDe1

will it come out of the bottle that fast?

dxkj
06-23-2005, 09:13 AM
I chugged a half of a Colt 45 40oz once. It's not nearly as bad as chugging more heavily carbonated things like beer.

I agree, the kickback on that from the carbonation is unbearable to me, but some people can do it.