PDA

View Full Version : Ted Kennedy's father made the Kennedy fortune smuggling booze into the U.S

heartsurgeon
09-28-2004, 08:29 AM
Since there is a thread about "How Bush's grandfather helped Hitler", i thought we should have some balance.

Joe Kennedy was the son of a saloon owner. he made the kennedy fortune smuggling liquor into the U.S. through Canada during prohibition. He then used this illegally gained money to fund the election of his son JFK to the presidency.

Joe Kenedy also admired Hitler, and sought appeasement with him rather than war.

Plenty of links if you google "joe Kennedy Hitler"

what's fair is fair...

Red Dawn
09-28-2004, 08:31 AM
I also read somewhere that Walt Disney was an Admirer of Hitler.

CaptnKirk
09-28-2004, 08:32 AM
I'll try to keep from voting for Ted Kennedy for President this time.

Will you do the same with Bush ?

Fair is fair, by your logic.

rudder
09-28-2004, 08:46 AM
Originally posted by: CaptnKirk

Ever wondered why Ted Kennedy has never sought the presidency?

CaptnKirk
09-28-2004, 08:48 AM
With 2 dead brothers - one who WAS a president,
and another assassinated during an early Presidential Primary Campaign - Nope.

arsbanned
09-28-2004, 08:50 AM
Heh. I knew this was coming. Running booze=!Nazi

Lemme guess: "'Cuz he murdered that poor girl!!!!! He's an evil evil maaaan!" :roll:

nick1985
09-28-2004, 08:52 AM
Originally posted by: rudder

yes he has. he ran for the democrat nomination a while back i believe.

conjur
09-28-2004, 08:53 AM
I'll be sure not to vote for Kennedy this fall, then.

b0mbrman
09-28-2004, 08:55 AM

Ever wondered why Ted Kennedy has never sought the presidency?He's got a little more baggage than that...

CaptnKirk
09-28-2004, 08:56 AM
Swimmer (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edward_Kennedy)
Ted Kennedy - 1980 Presidential Bid:

A decade later, Kennedy nevertheless attempted to secure the Democratic nomination for the 1980 Presidential election, launching an insurgent campaign against Democratic incumbent Jimmy Carter. Despite much early support, his bid was ultimately unsuccessful, largely due to controversy surrounding the incident at Chappaquiddick. He also reportedly lost substantial support when he was unable to give a direct answer as to why he wanted to be President in a 60 Minutes interview. Eventually, Kennedy bowed out of the race, delivering a rousing speech before the Democratic National Convention that many consider to be his finest moment.

Pliablemoose
09-28-2004, 09:11 AM
Joseph Kennedy Sr. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_P._Kennedy%2C_Sr.)

Wanted to run for president himself, but was crippled by his support for Germany prior to WWII so he groomed his sons for politics.

Joseph's first exposure to national politics came through Franklin Roosevelt. He donated, loaned, and raised a substantial amount of money for FDR's presidential campaign. President Franklin D. Roosevelt rewarded him, with an appointment as the Chairman of Securities and Exchange Commission. After serving in this post for several years, he resigned in 1935. President Roosevelt then asked him to Chair the Maritime Commission. In 1938, he was appointed as the United States Ambassador to the Court of St James (United Kingdom). Kennedy was a great believer in appeasement and resigned from office in 1940 as he disagreed with Roosevelt's determination to involve the USA in the Second World War.

Kerouactivist
09-28-2004, 09:21 AM
Well I gotta run but, good luck with your trolling, I hope it goes really well for you....
O.S.

Don Vito Corleone
09-28-2004, 09:32 AM
Originally posted by: Red Dawn
I also read somewhere that Walt Disney was an Admirer of Hitler.

As was Charles Lindburgh.

HS, you are showing your typical level of maturity and good judgment - on the bright side, you're not standing over me with a bone saw . . .

heartsurgeon
09-28-2004, 09:56 AM
on the bright side, you're not standing over me with a bone saw . . . Don't worry, as a attorney it's doubtful you will ever have surgery.......

Don Vito Corleone
09-28-2004, 10:02 AM
Originally posted by: heartsurgeon

on the bright side, you're not standing over me with a bone saw . . . Don't worry, as a attorney it's doubtful you will ever have surgery.......

Actually I had major surgery last winter, for a ruptured colon, when I was on the road for a couple of trials. My surgeon was very professional and courteous, and I received very good aftercare as well. Kudos to Rapid City Regional Hospital, SD!

Pliablemoose
09-28-2004, 10:05 AM
Originally posted by: DonVitoKudos to Rapid City Regional Hospital, SD!

I had a steel rod removed from my right femur there...

Was someone @ Ellsworth AFB being crucified?

chess9
09-28-2004, 10:49 AM
The Germans had widespread support in America even up to about 1939. In retrospect, it is hard to believe our parents and grandparent could have been so stupid and blind, but we had a large German population here and their culture was admired by many.

Nothing surprising about Kennedy or Bush's forebears support for Germany.

Oh, and the Republicans were RABID supporters of Germany, for those of you weighing morals.

-Robert

Don Vito Corleone
09-28-2004, 10:59 AM
Originally posted by: Pliablemoose

Was someone @ Ellsworth AFB being crucified?

Kinda. No comment on the judgment of the legal office there. At least they have a nice courtroom - it's worth checking out if they ever have a court going when you're there. It's octagonal, and has a pretty advanced A/V projection system - it's regarded as one of the best in the AF.

Both my clients ended up pleading guilty, when I went back to do the trials in January. I ended up doing two general courts-martial in one day, which is practically unheard of.

Actually, one of my clients pled guilty in front of members (essentially, a military jury), and the prosecutor argued for 2 1/2 years in confinement - she ended up getting 45 days!

In the other trial, in which my client was charged with using MJ and meth, breaking restriction, and DUI, the government insisted on calling a bunch of stupid sentencing witnesses, which led to some of the most fun cross-examination I've ever had a chance to do. This guy, Amn Wentling, was basically called to testify that he had seen my client smoke MJ 3-4 times, when my client had pled to 2-3 uses, so his testimony was pretty worthless for the government anyway:

"Amn Wentling, isn't it true that during the 1-year timeframe my client is accused of using drugs, you yourself used methamphetamine at least 2-3 times a week?" Yes.

"So you were under the influence of meth roughly one day in every three?" Yes.

"And in fact you also smoked MJ hundreds of times during this time frame, right?" Yes.

"Now, when you smoked methamphetamine, you sometimes stayed up for up to 4 days at a time, right?" Yes.

"And on one occasion, you stayed up for 4 days, without eating or drinking anything but blue Powerade, right?" Yes.

"You sometimes started to hallucinate when you didn't sleep, right?" Yes.

"Actually, you thought that was fun, didn't you?" Yes.

"Now, you sometimes drank alcohol when you smoked meth, right?" Yes.

"In fact, isn't it true that you and another airman once bought two fifths of hard liquor on a Sunday?" Yes.

"And you drank one, and he drank one?" Yes.

"All in one day, right?"

"Now, methamphetamine isn't good for your short-term memory, is it?" No.

"And MJ, that's not good either, right?"

"And it's safe to say that drinking an entire fifth of hard liquor isn't good for your memory, right?" Yes.

"So in fact your memory of this entire period is hazy, isn't it?" Yes.

Pliablemoose
09-28-2004, 11:07 AM
I grew up in the area, (SD) had a bro in law stationed @ AFB, GF was a barber @ AFB, went to the School of Mines in Rapid City, live in TX now..., miss SD every now & then.

The CM sounded like a mess.

EagleKeeper
09-28-2004, 11:31 AM

Because he can not swim. He would lose standing.

He wields much more influence by being an elder Senator and standard bearer for the left Dems.

Genx87
09-28-2004, 11:34 AM
If you havent noticed. I think all of Joes booze that was left over from the smuggling has ended up in Teds liquor cabinet. And at this point most of it has been consumed. Just note yesterdays laughable speech. I think he was drunk giving it, or at least i hope he was.

daveshel
09-28-2004, 11:39 AM
Boy, am I glad you warned me! I was going to vote for him.

heratsurgeon for elite

Don Vito Corleone
09-28-2004, 11:42 AM
Originally posted by: Genx87
If you havent noticed. I think all of Joes booze that was left over from the smuggling has ended up in Teds liquor cabinet. And at this point most of it has been consumed. Just note yesterdays laughable speech. I think he was drunk giving it, or at least i hope he was.

Looks like the elder Bush (http://www.georgebushfoundation.org/bush/html/GeorgeBushAward/BioEdwardMKennedy.htm) has a great deal of respect for Sen Kennedy. I guess you must know something he never learned as a congressman, Director of Central Intelligence, or President.

Pliablemoose
09-28-2004, 12:04 PM
Didn't Germany & Italy declare war on us? Shortly after Pearl Harbor?

IIRC, we were pretty heavily isolationist minded back then, took a lot to drag us into another WW.

Genx87
09-28-2004, 01:05 PM
Looks like the elder Bush has a great deal of respect for Sen Kennedy. I guess you must know something he never learned as a congressman, Director of Central Intelligence, or President.

Oh yeah you are right. I take all my comments back lol