PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever had a sunroof installed?

UglyCasanova
07-29-2004, 05:35 PM
I am about to get a 94 Buick Regal and to de-grannify it I am thinking about putting in a sunroof. Including installation, what kind of ballpark prices should I expect?

Also, how much does tinting typically cost and is it determined by how dark you get it?

isekii
07-29-2004, 05:35 PM
Prices = Leaky roof :P

loup garou
07-29-2004, 05:36 PM
wow...

isekii
07-29-2004, 05:36 PM
sell it and spend the 1k-1.5k extra to get a better car with a moonroof.

iamwiz82
07-29-2004, 05:37 PM
Yes, the car will be infinitely more cool with a sun roof :roll:

JoeKing
07-29-2004, 05:37 PM
lol, you username and car are going to match soooo well.

fs5
07-29-2004, 05:38 PM
Originally posted by: isekii

I agree, aftermarket sunroofs are bad ideas IMO

UglyCasanova
07-29-2004, 05:39 PM
sell it and spend the 1k-1.5k extra to get a better car with a moonroof.

I dunno, I kinda like it. It is large, in PERFECT condition, and only has 40k on it. Other than it being a granny car (looks like this, except silver (http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/599199)) is nice and comfy as hell to drive. Plus, it is coming from my granny and I don't even have the money to pay for it yet, so spending even more money is out of the question. It's either this or I'm stuck with my crappy 91' Geo Prizm.

loup garou
I think that car could use some speedholes, actually.

dc
de-grannify
buick

does not compute.

UglyCasanova
07-29-2004, 05:40 PM
Originally posted by: fivespeed5

:( That's not good.

And it's not a granny car its a ghetto cruiser.

RedRooster
07-29-2004, 05:41 PM
I know of someone who had larger glass retrofitted to his old car, so they had to cut the hole bigger but the car was at least prepared to have one from the factory. I think that was in the $500-700CND range, since it was probably easier than putting one in a car that doesn't have one.
Doubt that'll give you an estimate of price though, since yours might be slightly more complicated, especially if it's power operated.

Ameesh
07-29-2004, 05:47 PM
many sunroof installers offer a lifetime leak free guarentee.

CRXican
07-29-2004, 05:49 PM
If it's not the Regal GS then forget the sunroof and get the supercharger. In case you didn't know the GS stands for Grandpa Sleeper ;)

dirtboy
07-29-2004, 05:49 PM
Save your money. Not only will it probably leak, but everyone I know that uses their powered sunroof on a regular basis has had some kind of problem with it. I'm very happy to say my new car has a solid roof. :)

UglyCasanova
07-29-2004, 05:56 PM
Originally posted by: CRXican
If it's not the Regal GS then forget the sunroof and get the supercharger. In case you didn't know the GS stands for Grandpa Sleeper ;)

I'm not going to be racing it or anything, so speed performance is not really an issue. I just want a good car to drive to class and work. It really doesn't look too bad, but yeah it is a buick. I guess I could put some spinners on there (joke), but I'm just looking for a way to make it more...college friendly.

NutBucket
07-29-2004, 05:58 PM
Its about 1k. That's what the dealers around here have quoted me. Lifetime warranty.

UglyCasanova
07-29-2004, 08:00 PM
Originally posted by: NutBucket
Its about 1k. That's what the dealers around here have quoted me. Lifetime warranty.

:Q

That's a little out of my price range.

What about tinting?

Vic
07-29-2004, 08:22 PM

No, they're not. That hasn't been true for more than a decade. Now almost all aftermarket sunroofs come with a lifetime leak warranty. ASC is the brand you want to look for though.
The biggest drawback is that they cost about $1k and don't really add that much to the resale value of the car (especially on models where a sunroof was not an option, as then they can't be booked in).

Tint runs about $200 usually for the average car. As long as the price is in that range, shop for quality and not for price. Nothing worse than a crappy tint install.

Cyberian
07-29-2004, 08:36 PM
Originally posted by: Vic

No, they're not. That hasn't been true for more than a decade. Now almost all aftermarket sunroofs come with a lifetime leak warranty. ASC is the brand you want to look for though.
The biggest drawback is that they cost about $1k and don't really add that much to the resale value of the car (especially on models where a sunroof was not an option, as then they can't be booked in).

Tint runs about $200 usually for the average car. As long as the price is in that range, shop for quality and not for price. Nothing worse than a crappy tint install.
Didn't ASC do a bunch of convertible conversions for Toyota? (Celica?)

I have had manual sunroofs installed on several of my older cars. ATV did the installations and I never had a leak.
Last one I had done was in '98 for ~ $140. Still using that Chevy and still no leaks.