PDA

View Full Version : Eye prescription only good for 1 year???

Triumph
07-09-2004, 04:12 PM
What the hell is this? I call Walmart to try and get a refill on my contact lenses; they tell me my prescription is expired, and that they are only good for 1 year. So what, I am now forced to get an eye exam every year? Either that or buy a 5 year supply of contact lenses. :|

(i've only been wearing contact lenses for 2 years. can't remember having this problem with eyeglasses)

beer
07-09-2004, 04:12 PM
Yes. Either that or buy another set at 11 months.

memo
07-09-2004, 04:15 PM
they do this to make more money, but it may be beneficial if they do tests for glaucoma and cataracts and stuff. they'll tell you it'll benefit you, but they really like the money.

loup garou
07-09-2004, 04:16 PM
Originally posted by: memo
they do this to make more money, but it may be beneficial if they do tests for glaucoma and cataracts and stuff. they'll tell you it'll benefit you, but they really like the money.
Well said.
Also, there are lots of online lens retailers that just ask for your prescription and don't check the expiration date....

vi edit
07-09-2004, 04:17 PM
That's why they have been putting in eye exam docs in all the Walmarts. "Oh, we're sorry your perscription is outdated, but for $99 our in house doctor will have you an updated one in 20 minutes".

:)

Ausm
07-09-2004, 04:18 PM
In my Family diabetes is a problem so i get my eyes checked every year.

Sysadmin

SoylentGreen
07-09-2004, 04:23 PM
Insert teary-eyed violin player icon =====>here<=====

mchammer187
07-09-2004, 04:24 PM
glasses is 2 years i believe

if there is an america's best by you they have unlimted eye exams for 3 years for $99 and for 5 years is like $149 good deal if you can't get it through insurance

Crazymofo
07-09-2004, 04:25 PM
eye glass scripts are good for two years... contact lense scripts have always had a one year expiration...

allisolm
07-09-2004, 04:29 PM
I guess it varies from state to state since contact lens prescriptions are valid for two years in Florida and glasses prescriptioons for 5 years. We wouldn't want all those Cadillac-driving older folks actually to be able to see, now would we? ;)

Hayabusa Rider
07-09-2004, 04:33 PM
Did you bother to check what the regulations regarding the practice of optometry in you state are before you decided to complain about Walmart?

Trey22
07-09-2004, 04:34 PM
A year between exams works for me... especially if your family has a history of sight problems.

Triumph
07-09-2004, 04:41 PM
Originally posted by: WinstonSmith
Did you bother to check what the regulations regarding the practice of optometry in you state are before you decided to complain about Walmart?

no, because i'm not complaining about Walmart. :roll:

Hayabusa Rider
07-09-2004, 04:43 PM
Originally posted by: Triumph

Originally posted by: WinstonSmith

no, because i'm not complaining about Walmart. :roll:

Well my error then. I see many complaining about this being a money issue, when it is most likely state regulations and therefore not the fault of any optometrist.

Feldenak
07-09-2004, 04:44 PM
Originally posted by: Crazymofo
eye glass scripts are good for two years... contact lense scripts have always had a one year expiration...

Anubis
07-09-2004, 04:45 PM
mine didnt expire in 1 year

my insurance only pays for an eye exam every 2 years so i get them done every 2 years

Syringer
07-09-2004, 04:49 PM
Originally posted by: Sysadmin
In my Family diabetes is a problem so i get my eyes checked every year.

Sysadmin

How do diabetes and eyes relate?

allisolm
07-09-2004, 05:03 PM
Diabetes is the number one cause of blindness in the US.

"The most threatening effects of diabetes on the eye is diabetic retinopathy. The damage to blood vessels by diabetes can leave some of the retina with insufficient oxygen and other essential nutrients. The deficient areas do not see well. A tight string on your finger cuts off the blood supply and makes the tip turn blue and get numb. If this happens in the retina it doesn't get numb but instead it doesn?t see well. "

Even people with controlled diabetes can get retinopathy. My husband has type 2 diabetes and had a grandmother who died from diabetic complications and 2 aunts who went blind. Believe me, he gets checked yearly!

Syringer
07-09-2004, 05:16 PM
Wow, never knew that. That's really interesting.

MalikChen
07-09-2004, 05:18 PM
Can you get the contacts online or over the phone w/out having to fax or mail your prescription?

alkemyst
07-09-2004, 07:59 PM
Originally posted by: Triumph
What the hell is this? I call Walmart to try and get a refill on my contact lenses; they tell me my prescription is expired, and that they are only good for 1 year. So what, I am now forced to get an eye exam every year? Either that or buy a 5 year supply of contact lenses. :|

(i've only been wearing contact lenses for 2 years. can't remember having this problem with eyeglasses)

all perscriptions are good for only one year max, some less.

Dunbar
07-09-2004, 08:19 PM
Originally posted by: MalikChen
Can you get the contacts online or over the phone w/out having to fax or mail your prescription?

I used to order from a place that didn't check prescriptions, but they started last year :( Most will call your optomotrist to confirm but I know of none that will sell them no questions asked. It sucks to find this out with two contacts left...

Semidevil
07-09-2004, 11:00 PM
I work at a retail store, and I get complaints from people just like you guys....but here is the deal....

We are just like a pharmacy. We just follow what the doctor ordered.........if the doc wrote on the prescription "expires may 2005" or "one year from above date," there is nothing that us Opticians can do. It's state law actually(in my state, it is one year for everything unless stated).

What you can always do is call the doctor, and tell him your situation. If he likes it, he will always rewrite your script w/ a new date..

simple as that

MikeMike
07-09-2004, 11:05 PM
my prescription changes between .25 and .75 every year (it gets worse) i think im on my way to matching my moms -8.25

time for lasik.

MIKE

elanarchist
07-09-2004, 11:18 PM
bah, just another way for optometricists to make back their thousands in medical school loans... this is why i buy stuff like this overseas. the entire medical industry here is out of whack with medical care and prescription drugs costing many times what non-americans pay. *end rant*

KnickNut3
07-09-2004, 11:21 PM
In 5 years we'll all get inner-ocular implants and no longer need perscriptions. (It's still a good idea to see an optometrist, though :))

allisolm
07-10-2004, 08:54 AM
Remember to get a copy of your contact lens prescription when you have an exam. Lots of states had laws that allowed the doctors to keep that information, but a new law was just passed here (http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news04/contact_lens_rule.html) (don't know when it goes into effect) that requires them to give you your contact lens prescription. Get your eyeglasses one, too since they doctor may not be required to keep your prescription the entire time it is valid. In Fl, he only has to keep your eyeglasses prescription for two years, but it is good for 5 years. Looks like in the new law, the doctor may be able to choose not to give out your contact lens prescription after 1 year but it could still be valid for longer (depending on your state).

For those of you who are interested:

"Expiration Length of Contact Lens Prescription Requirements.

One-Year Expiration:
Arkansas
Connecticut
Idaho
Illinois
Kentucky
Massachusetts
Michigan
Missouri
Montana
Nevada
New York
North Dakota
Pennsylvania
Rhode Island
South Carolina
Tennessee
Virginia
West Virginia
Wisconsin
Wyoming

18-Month Expiration:
Iowa
Louisiana

Two-Year Expiration:
Florida
Maine
Maryland
Minnesota
New Jersey
Ohio
Utah

* for all other states, there is no information available."

Triumph
07-10-2004, 10:08 AM
and i'm in Virginia. damn law.

alkemyst
07-10-2004, 05:14 PM
Originally posted by: elanarchist
bah, just another way for optometricists to make back their thousands in medical school loans... this is why i buy stuff like this overseas. the entire medical industry here is out of whack with medical care and prescription drugs costing many times what non-americans pay. *end rant*

I don't understand this post...so if a doc is just trying to make his ends meet with the costs required to become a doctor in the first place he is wrong?

You know there is sort of a reason American medical schools charge more and doctors have to charge more....many great doctors overseas came here to be taught and are higher than their overseas educated fellows.

We let the next line of doctors know that they need to pay for their own education, offices, equipment and not incorporate those costs into their hourly rate...

silverpig
07-10-2004, 05:25 PM
Contact lens prescriptions expire down there? Weird.

Here I go for an eye test and get a prescription. I take said prescription to the glasses store (there's actually one in my eye doctor's office... same business), and get my contacts. I can order more whenever I feel like it. The only time I'd get another eye test is if I thought they had gotten worse.

NickelTitanium
07-10-2004, 05:29 PM
I really don't understand why the American public has the self-medicate mentality. Do-it-yourself for health care does not work. There is a reason they set the recall time frame and no it is not because of $$$.

Indolent
07-10-2004, 07:50 PM
Originally posted by: nourdmrolNMT1
my prescription changes between .25 and .75 every year (it gets worse) i think im on my way to matching my moms -8.25

time for lasik.

MIKE

I thought lasik could only be done after your eyes have been steady for a year or two...

Indolent
07-10-2004, 07:51 PM
Originally posted by: silverpig
Contact lens prescriptions expire down there? Weird.

Here I go for an eye test and get a prescription. I take said prescription to the glasses store (there's actually one in my eye doctor's office... same business), and get my contacts. I can order more whenever I feel like it. The only time I'd get another eye test is if I thought they had gotten worse.

same here, and I'm in Wisconsin. I know I've ordered contacts more than a year after my last eye exam.

Atomicus
07-10-2004, 07:56 PM
Should go to a private store which does contacts since they'll probably keep your record forever. My store kept my glasses prescription for over 4 years and I recently went to get new lenses :)