PDA

View Full Version : Can you put a remote starter in a car with a manual transmission?

mugs
06-20-2004, 01:20 AM
I was in a store the other day and saw a remote starter that was pretty cheap, but it was for automatic transmissions only. Then it occured to me that you probably can't use a remote starter with a manual transmission, because you can't start the car without pressing the clutch pedal. Right?

AgaBoogaBoo
06-20-2004, 01:21 AM
Wow, I never thought about that... I have no clue to your question, but it's a good question :D

bleeb
06-20-2004, 01:21 AM
Originally posted by: AgaBooga
Wow, I never thought about that... I have no clue to your question, but it's a good question :D

Turkish
06-20-2004, 01:23 AM
I think you can but its a lot harder to install, thus costly..

BCYL
06-20-2004, 01:24 AM
You can... I have a friend who has a remote starter in a manual car... Having the clutch in to start the car is just a safety precaution, mechanically it's not necessary... Just dont put your car in gear if you plan to remote start it...

Xionide
Hell my car does not need the pedal pressed. Lucky me.

-Xionide

spacejamz
nevermind....just saw some remote starters that can do manual transmissions...

GOOGLE is your friend....

Shawn
06-20-2004, 01:26 AM
Originally posted by: spacejamz
IIRC, the disclaimer in fine prints says you need an automatic tranny...

imagine starting your car if you left it in gear...

haha, that would suck

mugs
06-20-2004, 01:26 AM
Originally posted by: BCYL
You can... I have a friend who has a remote starter in a manual car... Having the clutch in to start the car is just a safety precaution, mechanically it's not necessary... Just dont put your car in gear if you plan to remote start it...

Yeah I thought about that, I figured there might be a way to electronically trick the car into believing the clutch was in.

BCYL
06-20-2004, 01:31 AM
Originally posted by: mugs

Yeah I thought about that, I figured there might be a way to electronically trick the car into believing the clutch was in.

I believe that's how it's done... the remote starter tricks the car into thinking the clutch is in, then starts the car...

KingNothing
06-20-2004, 01:33 AM
There's a switch or something that activates when you put the clutch in which allows the car to start. I know because I had mine replaced. It can be bypassed if you want, thus allowing a remote starter to work. Better be careful to leave your car in neutral though. :P

BullyCanadian
06-20-2004, 01:38 AM

Yup that is correct, my friend has a manual civic with a remote starter, and for it he just need to leave it in neutral when off and parked.

gunblade
06-20-2004, 01:43 AM
My friend installed his himself and bypassed the clutch. It has been running well for over three years.

Turkish
06-20-2004, 01:44 AM
Hmmm maybe I should consider it... sucks to go outside to start my car during winter...

randomlinh
06-20-2004, 01:57 AM
heh, i bought my camry used... i found out it had remote start unintentionally. The previous owner never said anything about it. there's a sticker by the battery warning not to remove the battery.. i ignored it because i figured if it was there, the owner would have said something.

Since they were the 2nd owner, I guess they never knew about it either. hehe. unfortunately, i only have one remote, so if it breaks, i lose my alarm... i want it replaced, but i think it'll cost a bit since i have no clue how this one is installed...

Kroze
06-20-2004, 02:35 AM
you can by-pass the clutch. under the clutch pedal, there's a cable connected to it. just wire them together and complete the circuit. Now the car can be start without pressing the clutch.

and now wire your remote starter just like you would do it in an automatic transmission.

bypassing the clutch is very simple. i've done it to 2 of my cars (92 nissan 300zx, 90 Toyota Supraturbo)

just put your head down and look at your clutch pedal. there's a wire that's connected to it. strip them and connect them together.