PDA

View Full Version : WTF? Demonstrators Swarm Karl Roves House, Beat on Windows and Walls

tnitsuj
03-29-2004, 10:42 AM
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A31890-2004Mar28.html

They should have arrested every single one of those people who stepped on his property. This is ridiculous. You can't start storming peoples houses because you don't like thier politics.

conjur
03-29-2004, 10:47 AM
By Steven Ginsberg
Washington Post Staff Writer
Monday, March 29, 2004; Page B01

Several hundred people stormed the small yard of President Bush's chief political strategist, Karl Rove, yesterday afternoon, pounding on his windows, shoving signs at others and challenging Rove to talk to them about a bill that deals with educational opportunities for immigrants.

Protesters poured out of one school bus after another, piercing an otherwise quiet, peaceful Sunday in Rove's Palisades neighborhood in Northwest, chanting, "Karl, Karl, come on out! See what the DREAM Act is all about!"

Rove obliged their first request and opened his door long enough to say, "Get off my property."

"Seems like he doesn't want to invite us in for tea," Emira Palacios quipped to the crowd.

Others chanted, "Karl Rove ain't got no soul."

The crowd then grew more aggressive, fanning around the three accessible sides of Rove's house, tracking him through the many windows, waving signs that read "Say Yes to DREAM" and pounding on the glass. At one point, Rove rushed to a window, pointed a finger and yelled something inaudible.

Shortly thereafter, sirens shot through the neighborhood and Secret Service agents and D.C. police joined the crowd on the lawn. Rove opened his door long enough to talk to an officer, and the crowd serenaded them with a stanza of "America the Beautiful."

The protest was organized by National People's Action, a coalition of neighborhood advocacy groups based in Chicago.

Leaders said they want Bush to advocate for the Development, Relief and Education for Alien Minors Act, a bill that would permit immigrants who have lived in the United States for at least five years to apply for legal resident status once they graduate from high school. The measure would eliminate provisions of current federal law that discourage states from providing in-state tuition to undocumented student immigrants.

Immigrant activists say that 50,000 to 65,000 undocumented students graduate from U.S. high school each year and that many students can afford college only at the reduced, in-state rates given to legal residents.

The bill passed the Senate Judiciary Committee in the fall but has not been brought before the full Senate for a vote.

Asked for Bush's position on the bill, spokesman Jim Morrell said, "The president has laid out the principles he believes should guide immigration discussion, and he is willing to work with Congress."

When pressed to state Bush's specific position on the DREAM legislation, Morrell repeated his statement.

The coalition's leaders, who converge on Washington each year to advocate for various issues, said they targeted Rove because they could not get as close to the White House as they could to his house. Rove also is one of Bush's main advisers, and he did not reply to their requests for a meeting, leaders said.

"We want the DREAM Act, and Karl Rove is sitting on it," said Brenda LaBlanc, a member of Iowa Citizens for Community Improvement.

Coalition leaders said the demonstrators were to protest other policies at the houses of two Cabinet secretaries, Elaine L. Chao of Labor and Ann M. Veneman of Agriculture.

But what the group really wanted was a conversation with Rove, who declined to comment to a reporter through a Secret Service agent.

And after about 30 minutes of goading by protesters in English and Spanish, Rove agreed to meet with two members of the coalition on the condition that the rest of the protesters board their buses and leave his street. The group obliged.

Rove opened his garage door and allowed Palacios and Inez Killingsworth to enter. The meeting lasted two minutes and ended with Rove closing the garage door on Palacios while she was still talking.

Palacios said that Rove was "very upset" and was "yelling in our faces" and that Rove told them "he hoped we were proud to make his 14-year-old and 10-year-old cry."

A White House spokesman said one of the children was a neighbor.

Palacios, trembling and in tears herself, said, "He is very offended because we dared to come here. We dared to come here because he dared to ignore us. I'm sorry we disturbed his children, but our children are disturbed every day.

"He also said, 'Don't ever dare to come back,' " Palacios said. "We will, if he continues to ignore us."

nutxo
03-29-2004, 10:50 AM
Thats messed up. Time to get some dogs maybe :-)

Nothing like a pack of rotties to keep your home secure.

TheGameIs21
03-29-2004, 10:56 AM
Um...

Are we supposed to feel sorry for these folks who trespassed on private property because they want the state/federal governments to spend money on the illegal Immigrant children when the illegal family has paid nothing to the government for these services? If your children are disturbed Mr or Mrs illegal Immigrant, maybe you should take them back home or become legal yourself and start paying taxes like the legal residents of this country. Then you will have a voice.

I wish they would have put them in jail for trespassing. I'd vote against/pigeon hole this it too.

chess9
03-29-2004, 11:01 AM
Get dogs? Wouldn't that be redundant in the case of Rove?

I'm not feeling too sorry for him, even though the protesters may have been a bit exhuberant. And, they DID leave his property without damaging it or him apparently.

During the '60's folks did a lot worse on a daily basis.

-Robert

tnitsuj
03-29-2004, 11:03 AM
Originally posted by: chess9

I'm not feeling too sorry for him, even though the protesters may have been a bit exhuberant. And, they DID leave his property without damaging it or him apparently.

-Robert

It's a breakdown of law and order to have people doing things like this.

tallest1
03-29-2004, 11:13 AM
Originally posted by: tnitsuj

-Robert

I agree! Lets kill the right to assemble once and for all! :P

(but yeah, what those demonstrators did was a bit extreme 0_o)

xxxxxJohnGaltxxxxx
03-29-2004, 11:15 AM
Were they baggy pant wearing kids with "No war for oil" signs?

tnitsuj
03-29-2004, 11:18 AM
Originally posted by: tallest1

-Robert

I agree! Lets kill the right to assemble once and for all! :P

(but yeah, what those demonstrators did was a bit extreme 0_o)

They can assemble. With a permit and not on his front lawn, banging on his house. That rises to the level of intimidation.

nutxo
03-29-2004, 11:20 AM

-Robert

Hell, if it were me I would check out local statutes and see if it were legal to shoot trespassers.

You don't go to someones home.

tnitsuj
03-29-2004, 11:22 AM
Originally posted by: nutxo

-Robert

Hell, if it were me I would check out local statutes and see if it were legal to shoot trespassers.

You can't really have guns in DC. You most certainly can't discharge on in city limits.

nutxo
03-29-2004, 11:24 AM

-Robert

You can't really have guns in DC. You most certainly can't discharge on in city limits.

Betcha 10 bucks someone like Rove could get a permit.

Oh well. The SS will probably take care fo it now.

TheBoyBlunder
03-29-2004, 11:26 AM
They have every right to protest at his house, but banging on his house is excessive.

myusername
03-29-2004, 11:28 AM
Rove has children? Scary stuff!

Czar
03-29-2004, 11:29 AM
Originally posted by: TheBoyBlunder
They have every right to protest at his house, but banging on his house is excessive.

on the street in front of his house yes, but not on his property

Fern
03-29-2004, 11:55 AM
Hmmm. Busloads of illegal's can find their way to this guys house? Sounds like no Secret Service or other guards were there. What's to stop al Qieada (spelling?) from showing up at our ranking government officials home's?

Perhaps the article gives a false impression of access and lax security.

alchemize
03-29-2004, 12:01 PM
Disgusting. He should have turned the hose on them.

Acanthus
03-29-2004, 12:05 PM
Precision airstrike? :beer::D

Honestly i would vote against the dream act. Illegals shouldnt be in the country, let alone taken of by the country.

bozack
03-29-2004, 12:48 PM
Originally posted by: Acanthus

Honestly i would vote against the dream act. Illegals shouldnt be in the country, let alone taken of by the country.

ThePresence
03-29-2004, 01:08 PM
Originally posted by: alchemize
Disgusting. He should have turned the hose on them.
Tear gas.

Moonbeam
03-29-2004, 01:12 PM
Originally posted by: bozack

God is pissed off that a bunch of mafia thugs stole the Presidency of the Nation under Him and proceeded on an illegal war of imperial conquest that's killed hundreds of American soldiers. This is nothing compared to what he deserves. He should be tried with the rest of the thugs before the world court. His property ought to be seized and sold and the proceeds given to the children of the dead.

ThePresence
03-29-2004, 01:28 PM
Originally posted by: Moonbeam

God is pissed off that a bunch of mafia thugs stole the Presidency of the Nation under Him and proceeded on an illegal war of imperial conquest that's killed hundreds of American soldiers. This is nothing compared to what he deserves. He should be tried with the rest of the thugs before the world court. His property ought to be seized and sold and the proceeds given to the children of the dead.
Ahhh, gotta love those peace-loving lefties.

nutxo
03-29-2004, 01:53 PM

i/expressions/rolleye.gif

ITJunkie
03-29-2004, 02:17 PM

-Robert

Yes! Regardless of political ideology this is just plain wrong! Technically he probably would have had every right to start busting caps on their a$$es.

chess9
03-29-2004, 03:24 PM
Moonbeam:

Amen, brother, and that would be too good for the bastage.

-Robert

sierrita
03-29-2004, 03:28 PM

i/expressions/rolleye.gif

Yeah, that's pretty extreme, Moonbeam...a trial?...maybe the more measured response would be like Nutxo's and use bullets. So far that's the way the administration has solved its problems, and everything in the world is just grand.

dahunan
03-29-2004, 04:29 PM

They should have arrested every single one of those people who stepped on his property. This is ridiculous. You can't start storming peoples houses because you don't like thier politics.

I wish they would have been strapped with explosives.

tnitsuj
03-29-2004, 04:31 PM
Originally posted by: dahunan

:disgust: That isn't even funny.

dahunan
03-29-2004, 04:35 PM

Political LIARS and SMEAR Tacticians are very similar to terrorists.

ElFenix
03-29-2004, 05:02 PM

Political LIARS and SMEAR Tacticians are very similar to terrorists.

if we're gonna do that we'd have to kill off every politician alive, and most of their staffs.

and we should probably do it to CYA middle managers at most companies.

and most of the media.

and most of the people on this board.

UltraQuiet
03-29-2004, 05:38 PM

Feel free to step up to the plate, mouth.

These people crossed the line. If something like that ever happened to me and my kids were home . . .

OutHouse
03-29-2004, 05:57 PM
Originally posted by: TheGameIs21
Um...

Are we supposed to feel sorry for these folks who trespassed on private property because they want the state/federal governments to spend money on the illegal Immigrant children when the illegal family has paid nothing to the government for these services? If your children are disturbed Mr or Mrs illegal Immigrant, maybe you should take them back home or become legal yourself and start paying taxes like the legal residents of this country. Then you will have a voice.

I wish they would have put them in jail for trespassing. I'd vote against/pigeon hole this it too.

I agree, who is the assmonkey who is sponsoring this bill?

Bowfinger
03-29-2004, 06:40 PM

Much as I think Rove deserved this and more, the protestors were out of line the moment they stepped onto his lawn. They have a legal right to demonstrate on public property in front of his house. They do not have the right to trespass on his property, pound on his house, etc.

That said, isn't this the same tactic many anti-abortion protestors have used against doctors? Two wrongs don't make a right, but I wonder how many hypocrites supported one and condemn the other.

xxxxxJohnGaltxxxxx
03-29-2004, 06:46 PM
Originally posted by: Bowfinger

Much as I think Rove deserved this and more, the protestors were out of line the moment they stepped onto his lawn. They have a legal right to demonstrate on public property in front of his house. They do not have the right to trespass on his property, pound on his house, etc.

That said, isn't this the same tactic many anti-abortion protestors have used against doctors? Two wrongs don't make a right, but I wonder how many hypocrites supported one and condemn the other.

...and the same tactics PETA and other extremists use; I agree with you, but must say I am suprised to find you on the side of reason yet again :)