PDA

View Full Version : US Weight 60-Pound Dumbbell Set @ Wal-Mart // 19.66


se7en
01-20-2004, 01:44 PM
linky (https://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.gsp?dept=4125&product_id=2171144&path=0%3A4125%3A4134%3A49041)

Basic free weights no flashy chrome but still a 60 lb set

Four 10-pound weights
Four 5-pound weights
2 dumbbell bars with textured handgrips
4 spring clips that can also be used as hand developers

Found them in store as well as online but shipping would kill this deal

thecato18
01-20-2004, 02:04 PM
link is dead

Netopia
01-20-2004, 02:05 PM
Fixed Link (http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.gsp?dept=4125&product_id=2171144&path=0%3A4125%3A4134%3A49041)

Joe

Disastorpasztor
01-20-2004, 02:06 PM
I'm sure it was hard to remove that extra 'https://' from the beginning of it... :]

novon
01-20-2004, 02:10 PM
I wonder why they don't offer free shipping :) $20 seems a bit high

cremefilled
01-20-2004, 02:36 PM
If you are at all serious about fitness, spend a little more and get dumbbells that can hold more weight, and that don't use the crappy spring collars (which will inevitably slip and fall off). Spin-lock collars are nice & secure. Also, get 2 & 1/2 lb. weights, and 1&1/4lb. if available. Making small adjustments is key to progressive training, and a set such as this one that most people will jump from 10 to 20 to 30 lbs. is making far too large incremental changes.

Free weights, unlike about any other exercise equipment you can buy, should last a lifetime, so buy something good. Plastic covered concrete is something to particularly avoid.

se7en
01-20-2004, 03:43 PM
Originally posted by: cremefilled
If you are at all serious about fitness, spend a little more and get dumbbells that can hold more weight, and that don't use the crappy spring collars (which will inevitably slip and fall off). Spin-lock collars are nice & secure. Also, get 2 & 1/2 lb. weights, and 1&1/4lb. if available. Making small adjustments is key to progressive training, and a set such as this one that most people will jump from 10 to 20 to 30 lbs. is making far too large incremental changes.

Free weights, unlike about any other exercise equipment you can buy, should last a lifetime, so buy something good. Plastic covered concrete is something to particularly avoid.

link fixed

and yeah hes right on the spinlock much better than spring but also has a higher pricetag.Spending a bunch on free weights is a nice investment but most ppl dont actually end up using them one tenth what they say they will too start out so 20 isnt a bad price to see if you really will keep with it.

:beer:

BlueWeasel
01-20-2004, 04:12 PM
Could someone go and help me carry them out of my local store :strain;

:)

Tannahill
01-20-2004, 04:18 PM
and yeah hes right on the spinlock much better than spring but also has a higher pricetag.Spending a bunch on free weights is a nice investment but most ppl dont actually end up using them one tenth what they say they will too start out so 20 isnt a bad price to see if you really will keep with it.

Your right. Just go to any garage sale and you can pick up all the free weights you want. Not to mention all the exercise equipment someone bought off those infomercials.

weepul
01-20-2004, 05:55 PM
i know this is off topic, but i'm in the market for some ankle weights. anyone kno where's a good place to search?

//krunk (^_^x)

QueHuong
01-20-2004, 05:57 PM
Couldn't find the 60lb set at the store, but I found a "40lb cast iron set" with
14" threaded chrome dumbbell handles with rubber grips
4 2.5lb iron plates
4 7.5lb plates

for $20 - I don't know anything about what makes a good dumbbell set, so can someone tell me if this is a good buy (in price and quality)? Thanks.

theunholyroller
01-20-2004, 09:33 PM
Do you have any deals on heavier weight sets, you know, for those who aren't 13 year old prepubescent wusses? Hehe, just kidding. But, seriously, any deals on higher weights?

maximo
01-20-2004, 10:06 PM
go to the gym. lol 60 pounds is good enough if you want to sculpt your body.

Yobbo
01-20-2004, 10:28 PM
Went to the store and got a box, but as I was taking it off the shelf it fell and broke my foot...stayed there until someone that could actually lift 60lbs came over to help =(

*the above story is fictional and should not be considered serious.

russw
01-21-2004, 03:55 AM
Come out to Caulifornea and pump iron with Arnold ;)
...russ

andrew2w
01-21-2004, 08:32 AM
What happens if you are already dead sexy and don't need to work out

bsRaven23
01-21-2004, 09:21 AM
I think the 60lbs dumbbell set for $20 isn't a bad deal, but I wouldn't get it. Oh, and for those of you interested, Sports Authority had pretty good deals on workout benches last week, and may still be going on.

cremefilled
01-21-2004, 02:42 PM
On the question of "where do I buy?", any large sports store will have good prices on free weight sets. For me, the local mega-sports store is "Dicks Sporting Goods." You can get 120-lb iron sets for $40 and 310-lb. iron sets for $99. Sams Club is another good source.

I recognize that not everybody like lifting weights, and that the 30 lb. weights in this thread will suit many people. You might want to go to Walmart and buy some 2&1/2 lb. disc weights to make the incremental changes smaller. I think that Walmart sells at $0.40/lb, so four of those weights would be just $4.00.

cremefilled
01-21-2004, 02:48 PM
Here's a source -- NY Barbells (http://www.newyorkbarbells.com/plates.html) -- that sells plate weights at $0.36/lb., and they sell 1&1/4 lb. weights which are vital for dumbbell use, IMO. Going from 20 to 30 lbs. for a dumbbell curl is a ridiculous jump; going from 20 to 22.5 or 21.25 is much more easily accomplished.

The dumbbells in the initial link of this thread just aren't suited for much, though, because they aren't long enough to hold much weight, and because the spring collars suck.

LeaDxPainT
01-21-2004, 09:45 PM
Originally posted by: andrew2w
What happens if you are already dead sexy and don't need to work out

Funny you ask, I just walk around town with my shirt off.

se7en
01-22-2004, 07:58 AM
Originally posted by: cremefilled
Here's a source -- NY Barbells (http://www.newyorkbarbells.com/plates.html) -- that sells plate weights at $0.36/lb., and they sell 1&1/4 lb. weights which are vital for dumbbell use, IMO. Going from 20 to 30 lbs. for a dumbbell curl is a ridiculous jump; going from 20 to 22.5 or 21.25 is much more easily accomplished.

The dumbbells in the initial link of this thread just aren't suited for much, though, because they aren't long enough to hold much weight, and because the spring collars suck.

The link above looks like a great place very nice stuff but unless you live in NY the shipping is way way expensive.Nice site to pick up some in between sizes (2.5, 5) but anything to heavy like 35lbs and up the shipping gets up to like 45-55 ouch

AmphibSailor
01-24-2004, 03:11 PM
:D Wally World here in VA had the cast iron set (40 lbs) for $13.xx if anyones interested.

conehead433
01-24-2004, 07:30 PM
They used to sell a 110 lb set for about $20. Of course that was those plastic concrete weights. You can always buy a few of the 25 lb cast iron weights to go with it. I've got about 200 lbs on mine for benching.