PDA

View Full Version : *** Official ASUS K8V/DELUXE (K8T800) Thread ***

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5

Algere
03-27-2004, 12:04 PM
Originally posted by: Snark42
I'm really pleased with this mobo (K8V Deluxe SE). I have my RAM running stabile at 2-3-2-5 and everything seems to be working great except one tiny thing. When I boot up it says that "BIOS is not installed", but then it boots fine into Windows XP Pro. What could be the problem? When I run CPU-Z it says that I'm using "American Megatrends Inc. version 1001.005". So why does it say I don't have BIOS installed when I boot up? any help is appreciated :-)

It's the Promise controller

When nothing is connected to the controller i.e. hard drive(s) it'll report that. Just disable the Promise controller in the BIOS to get rid of it.

neokenzo
03-30-2004, 01:40 AM
Okay I am having problems with my memory again. I have set 2:1 DDR400 in BIOS but when I open CPU-Z its onl showing 225Mhz at 1:1. Is this because I am overclocking?

THELAIR
03-30-2004, 05:45 AM
ARGH....

I hate being an early adopter... I PRE ORDERED and got it the day it came out, and this board of course has the 0333 capacitors. I even just had one blow on me... and now my system is seriously fuck3d...

time to get the MSI board...

I'm in Japan so its hard to RMA to my local mom n pop store back in Canada.

CLASS ACTION LAW SUIT!!! CLASS ACTION LAW SUIT!!! CLASS ACTION LAW SUIT!!! CLASS ACTION LAW SUIT!!! CLASS ACTION LAW SUIT!!! CLASS ACTION LAW SUIT!!! CLASS ACTION LAW SUIT!!! CLASS ACTION LAW SUIT!!! CLASS ACTION LAW SUIT!!! CLASS ACTION LAW SUIT!!! CLASS ACTION LAW SUIT!!!

THELAIR
03-30-2004, 06:06 AM
POSTED WAY BACK JUST AFTER XMAS:

http://forums.anandtech.com/messageview.cfm?catid=29&threadid=1212208&FTVAR_MSGDBTABLE=arc
12/24/2003 11:05 AM

Hey guys,

Setup is as follows
Asus K8V Deluxe 1004 BIOS (latest)
Athlon64 3000+ (stock OEM HS/F)
Corsair 512MB XMS PC3200 Low Latency DDR CL2 w/ Platinum Heatspreader (CMX512-3200LLPT)
ATI AiW 9600 Pro latest catalyst drivers etc
2x WD Raptor's in RAID 0 on VIA SATA raid controller
1x WD 250GB SATA on Promise SATA raid controller (not in raid mode)
Plextor 8x DVD burner
SB Audigy 2 ZS
Win XP SP1
default bios settings, nothing overclocked. Disabled onboard audio.

According to the Asus manual, with 2 dims, whether they be single or dual sided (how the hell can i tell??) the memory chips should be occupying DIMS 1 and 2 (of the 3). I have done that.

However i am still experiencing intermittent blue screen of death physical memory dumps.

It's quite odd, I can go a few days playing games, and everything is fine, then reboot for whatever reason, and blam winXP loads into a blue screen.

The latest issue happened when I applied some further Windows XP updates, now I can not get windows XP to load one way or another, even safe mode. Loading last known good configuration also failed, making me think its still somehow hardware related.

What is wrong? Is it my RAM? Faulty motherboard?

I experienced physical memory dumps on both the 1002 bios and 1004 bios.

any insight appreciated.

I hate the feeling of an untrustyworthy, unstable system.

That was 3 months ago :| Never have I been so pissed off with a motherboard. If this was an ECS due to "cheap capacitors" fine, id accept that, but not on ASUS' flagship motherboard :|

AVOID AVOID AVOID

Snark42
03-30-2004, 04:12 PM
I can understand why you're so upset, I'd be pretty pissed off if that happened to me. But the problem was with the bad capacitors, and it was only a tiny batch of which the "shelved units" have been recalled (last time I heard). This was the very first time that I built a computer (or even done anything with a motherboard. I found it fairly ewasy to do after reading this entire topic and other on GameFAQs.com and I have everything up and running just great. I know you've lost a lot of respect/trust for ASUS and their products, but if you'd be willing to give this motherboard another chance, I think you'll be happier in the end (happty with board, and happy that you once again trust ASUS). That sounds kind of odd, but ASUS does make good quality products (and at least there are brave enough to own up to a mistake like this, some companies wouldn't). I have the ASUS K8V Deluxe SE.

If you do end up getting this board again then I suggest you get the K8V Deluxe SE version because it has a WIFI port (card not included). You could then buy a decent WIFI card and pop it in. This makes a lot of sense for where you live because Tokyo is high density when it comes to people/space. WIFI internet is like cell phone "bubbles" (area of support) excpet that it's in the ealy stages, so there aren't a ton out there, but since you're living in tokyo, it'll catch on faster and you'll very quickly get complete WIFI "bubble" support.

Algere
03-30-2004, 04:57 PM
Originally posted by: neokenzo
Okay I am having problems with my memory again. I have set 2:1 DDR400 in BIOS but when I open CPU-Z its onl showing 225Mhz at 1:1. Is this because I am overclocking?

Probably cause of turbo mode?

EDIT: 450 MHz DDR sounds like a overclock to me.

neokenzo
03-30-2004, 05:20 PM
Originally posted by: Algere

Originally posted by: neokenzo

Probably cause of turbo mode?

EDIT: 450 MHz DDR sounds like a overclock to me.

Nope its at Standard Performance Mode. I am overclocking the rig a bit but I still cant understand why its coming up as 1:1 when BIOS says its 2:1.

Algere
03-30-2004, 06:15 PM
Anything else changed from default other than memory timings?

kvik
03-30-2004, 06:40 PM
My bios keeps resetting!

Hi, I purchased a k8v deluxe yesterday.. Everything were running fine, and I was playing far cry all night..
But when I turned it on today when I got home from work, the bios was reset.
I checked the jumper, and its set to Normal (so it should not clear!)

I played a bit with it, turned off, took power off etc, and the bios is definately resetting every time the board has no power.

From experience, I know it could've been a dead battery, but the battery is working in another computer..

Does anyone have a clue of what might cause it?

My setup:

AMD Athlon 64 3400+
Asus K8V Deluxe (rev 1.12 with bios 1.05)
2x512Mb Corsair TwinX PC4000 XMS Pro
ATI Radeon 9800 Pro 256Mb with arctic-cooler cooling
160Gb Maxtor Plus9 IDE133
Pioneer DVR107D 8x dvd-rw
Chill-Innovation 350W PSU (performs around 340W)

Thanks in advance

THELAIR
03-30-2004, 07:20 PM
Yah that was an emotional post of mine lol! Im curious what will happen to my raid array if i switch motherboards though. Will I loose my windows install on my raid 0 array on my raptors if i change motherboard, even to an asus k8v deluxe SE?

JulesMaximus
03-30-2004, 11:25 PM
Originally posted by: THELAIR
Yah that was an emotional post of mine lol! Im curious what will happen to my raid array if i switch motherboards though. Will I loose my windows install on my raid 0 array on my raptors if i change motherboard, even to an asus k8v deluxe SE?

I guaran-fvcking-tee it!!! I changed memory and my RAID array took a dump.

On the plus side I've been running Prime 95 for 22+ hours with 0 errors and 0 warnings. I've been up for almost 4 days now on this reformat and reinstall of Windows XP Pro. i/expressions/rolleye.gif Of course I haven't had the system off for more than a few seconds while rebooting during that time. I don't trust it as far as I could throw it. I have a second install of XP on an IDE drive in this system just waiting for the moment my system doesn't see the RAID array on boot up.

I also e-mailed ASUS last Thursday with my problem. I have yet to hear from them. GREAT CUSTOMER SERVICE ASUS!!! YOU SUCK!!!

THELAIR
03-31-2004, 04:22 AM
well do i buy a new asus k8v deluxe SE and try my luck again or just say Fck it and get the MSI... hmm hmmm

THELAIR
03-31-2004, 07:07 AM
I AM A MORON... SOMEONE PLESE SHOOT ME AND PUT ME OUT OF MY MISSERY...

I just walked out of one of hte largest electronic stores in Akihabara, the largest electronics district in the world and picked up another K8V Deluxe board (i decided to try one last time, plus they didnt have the MSI in stock)

Guess what?

NO VIDEO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I put everything back together fine, and im having the same friggen issues that everyone else has on this forum about no video when it starts up.

At first i thought "okay, i had bad capacitors, ill try one last time"

no fvcking way...

LAST ASUS MOTHERBOARD FOR A VERY LONG TIME.

This K8V series has serious flaws

Woodie
03-31-2004, 11:05 AM
I AM A MORON... SOMEONE PLESE SHOOT ME AND PUT ME OUT OF MY MISSERY...sic

LOL! Yes, you are. For you: BANG! Now it's your turn.

Wish I had seen this thread before I bought my "highly recommended" Asus board. I should have bought another MSI...I like the one I had, despite people dumping on me because it was IGP, and it was pretty damn stable!

Caminetto
03-31-2004, 06:00 PM
I certainly feel the pain of those who have systems that are having problems. I have had quite a few motherboards and quite a few were flakey as hell. I have had just 4 Asus boards and each was perfect. I presently have the K8V and it has been perfect. If you take a look at Anandtech or other technical web site's recommendation for the AMD 64, you will find the K8V at or near the top. Why do you think that is? A big payoff from Asus? If you search this forum you will find haters of MSI, claiming that they never had one that worked right or that these boards die after a year or so. And the same holds true for any motherboard. I also see some system builders who refuse to supply adequite power for their system, fail to check for recommended ram, and who I suspect never bothered opening their manual. I am no huge Asus fan, in fact their technical support sucks, but I can tell you that if you want stability, Asus is hard to beat.

K8V
A64 3200+
2 512 Kingmax PC3200
120GB Sata
60GB Pata
Plextor 708A DVD burner
Lite-on CD burner
9800pro
ENERMAX Noisetaker 470W PSU
5 case fans

THELAIR
04-01-2004, 07:12 AM
Here is my update.

Returned the 2nd K8V to the store I bought it. Only to find out that they dont do exchanges or refunds. Told them the video issue. They didnt believe me, they even had the gall to say to me in broken english "Toms Hardware say OK"... (kill me now)

Anyways, I got quite loud and agitated and told them i wasnt leaving till I exchanged this Asus motherboard for the MSI (Which they now had in stock) i said ill take a store credit for the difference, and long story short I got the MSI.

Now for the really fun part.

After swapping out the K8V and throwing in the K8T guess what?

She booted up like there was no tommorow. First power on. Ohhh what a beautiful sight.

Since they use the same Raid controllers the bios detected my pre existing raid setup and it loaded right into my previous WinXP setup!

I'll probably end up formatting and reinstalling but at least now i have a fully functional system.

So my question is... what was so bad with my system that the asus board wouldnt start? Oohh im sorry i should rephrase that...what is wrong wtih the K8V that makes it so that it doesnt work wtih a fairly standard system.

Who knows.

Anyways im happy now that I have a functioning system.

Next is the fight to RMA this k8v back to Asus.

GO MSI!! :P

Algere
04-01-2004, 08:13 AM
Originally posted by: THELAIR
they even had the gall to say to me in broken english "Toms Hardware say OK"...

LOL

cause we all know Tom is always right i/expressions/rolleye.gif

JulesMaximus
04-01-2004, 05:16 PM
Yeah, I haven't had any issues yet (since reloading Windows that is) on my RAID array with the "approved" Kingston memory. It hasn't been quite a week though and I have started shutting it down at night also. I think the longest I got out of it before was 1 week with the Corsair memory. It obviously has something to do with the memory and the RAID controller on the motherboard though because everything ran fine on an IDE drive for over a month.

It definitely isn't the power supply - I'm running a new Antec True 430W. It also isn't heat related (I ran Prime95 for 22 hours and saw a max of 51 degrees on the cpu-idle is always 40 or 41 degrees) or because I didn't set it up properly. I've built many systems and never run into this kind of instability before. I'll be very hesitant to buy another ASUS board after this though.

BTW-I'm officially at 1 week since I submitted my request for support with no follow up from ASUS (I don't consider an auto reply message saying they received my request and had assigned my case to a tech person as a reply).

THELAIR
04-01-2004, 07:58 PM
Hi end name brand memory like corsair in my opinion isnt 'crap' RAM. The ASUS board should have been able to handle it fine, just like how my MSI is handling my same ram and same raid controller wti the same hard drives on it.

Ahh well...

I guess when I get my K8V RMA'd and returned, ill just use some IDE drives on it and stay away from the RAID... and use kingston ram

TracyG
04-01-2004, 08:39 PM
Scallion, did you ever get that error clered up?

"Chassis intruded !
Fatal Error...System halted."

I had the same messge after resetting my CMOS. There is a jumper located on the lower center of the mb in the general vaciniy of the USB2 connections. If you resett this you should be OK.

TracyG
04-01-2004, 09:23 PM
Can someone tell me where to check for the recalled K8V? Something about bad capacitors...where do I look and what is the number I am looking for?

I am having an issue wih video as well.

I get error "Sysem failed VGA" when first booting up. If I hit the reset I am ok, but have to do this everytime I start up.

I am using Radeon 9700 Pro with K8V deluxe. Asus manual mentions issue between the two on page 2-18. PN on Radion 9700 or 9500 pro needs to be xxx-xxxxx-30 or higher. Why would this be?

Any thoughts?

Algere
04-01-2004, 10:16 PM
http://www.asus.com/support/faq/qanda.aspx?KB_ID=85257

TracyG
04-02-2004, 06:14 AM
Thank you Algere I will check that on my mb today. Hope it is not the issue for me, other than the VGA error no problems so far that I can fault ASUS.

Anything2
04-03-2004, 05:10 AM
I have had no problems at all with this board with a 3000+, 2x512mb PC3200 Hynix chip. Guess im just lucky, but the onboard audio is causing me problems. The center/lfe outputis the wrong way around (center to LFE, LFE to center) the windows volume panel swap lfe/center doesnt work. Anyone know if there is a Soundmax util or sumthin to swap over the channels.

JCali
04-03-2004, 09:25 PM
I just built the following system and it seems to be running well:

AMD 64 3400+
Asus K8V deluxe SE
Corsair DDR TwinX1024-3200LLPT 2X512MB
ATI Radeon 9800XT
WD SATA 160MB harddrive

The only problem is when booting the computer, there is about a 30 sec delay after it finishes detecting the harddrives and before it starts loading windows. It is annoying - anyone have any ideas?

TracyG
04-03-2004, 10:23 PM
Checked capacitors and as far as I can tell they are not RLZ 0333, but some are so close to processor I cannot read them. How did you guys get a good look at these?

Algere
04-03-2004, 10:49 PM
Originally posted by: JCali
I just built the following system and it seems to be running well:

AMD 64 3400+
Asus K8V deluxe SE
Corsair DDR TwinX1024-3200LLPT 2X512MB
ATI Radeon 9800XT
WD SATA 160MB harddrive

The only problem is when booting the computer, there is about a 30 sec delay after it finishes detecting the harddrives and before it starts loading windows. It is annoying - anyone have any ideas?

Tried disabling any unused SATA controllers?

Algere
04-03-2004, 10:56 PM
Originally posted by: TracyG
Checked capacitors and as far as I can tell they are not RLZ 0333, but some are so close to processor I cannot read them. How did you guys get a good look at these?

I just assumed if one or more of the capacitors weren't listed as RLZ 0333 then the rest of the capacitors weren't bad either, the ones I couldn't see for the matter and the capacitor issue only affects a small batch of K8V-D motherboards. IMO the capacitor issue sounds more serious than it really is.

lmm
04-04-2004, 12:07 PM
IMO the capacitor issue sounds more serious than it really is

Algere, unless you have seen the bad capacitors i wouldn't be so fast underestimating the issue.
My first mobo had the bad capacitors and i can tell you it wasn't pretty at all, straight out of the box, 2 of said capacitors (the ones rigth by the cpu) were leaking.

TracyG
If i were you i'd really take a peek at those capacitors to rule out the chance you got some of the bad stuff. In my mobo it was very easy to spot the bad ones has they were leaking through the top cap. Check yours for some signs of dirt on the metallic top cap.

best luck

TracyG
04-04-2004, 03:27 PM
Thanks Imm. I'll check again when I power down this evening.

TracyG
04-04-2004, 04:50 PM

TracyG
04-04-2004, 04:59 PM
Ops, sorry about the double post. My capacitors all look clean and all the ones where I can see numbers start with RLS not RLZ so hoping I am ok on this count.

Still getting "System Failed VGA on cold boot" Reset and then up and running without trouble. I am getting to hate that woman's voice, though.

Algere
04-04-2004, 07:12 PM
Originally posted by: lmm

IMO the capacitor issue sounds more serious than it really is

Algere, unless you have seen the bad capacitors i wouldn't be so fast underestimating the issue.
My first mobo had the bad capacitors and i can tell you it wasn't pretty at all, straight out of the box, 2 of said capacitors (the ones rigth by the cpu) were leaking.

TracyG
If i were you i'd really take a peek at those capacitors to rule out the chance you got some of the bad stuff. In my mobo it was very easy to spot the bad ones has they were leaking through the top cap. Check yours for some signs of dirt on the metallic top cap.

best luck

I meant there's ppl saying stay away from the K8V-D because of bad capacitors when in reality this issue has only affected a small batch of motherboards. I'm sure it's serious if you have one w/ bad capacitors but the way it's spreading around it sounds as if there's a greater number of K8V-D boards with bad capacitors then there really are.

Algere
04-04-2004, 07:15 PM
Originally posted by: TracyG
Ops, sorry about the double post. My capacitors all look clean and all the ones where I can see numbers start with RLS not RLZ so hoping I am ok on this count.

Still getting "System Failed VGA on cold boot" Reset and then up and running without trouble. I am getting to hate that woman's voice, though.

You can shut her up in the BIOS ;)

lmm
04-04-2004, 07:59 PM
I meant there's ppl saying stay away from the K8V-D because of bad capacitors when in reality this issue has only affected a small batch of motherboards

k, misunderstood you... sorry :o and i agree, the bad capacitor issue was surely only a prob with early batch of mobos

Algere
04-04-2004, 10:54 PM
Originally posted by: lmm

I meant there's ppl saying stay away from the K8V-D because of bad capacitors when in reality this issue has only affected a small batch of motherboards

k, misunderstood you... sorry :o and i agree, the bad capacitor issue was surely only a prob with early batch of mobos

no prob ;)

TracyG
04-04-2004, 11:35 PM
Thanks Algere, I know I can turn off voice alert in BIOS, but then I would have to rely on beeps if another problem.

Well, maybe I'll turn it off till VGA issue is cleared up anyway ; )

yongsiklee
04-05-2004, 12:30 AM
Sorry I posted at the other place by mistake.

My problem is:

Booting pauses for 20 seconds just after it starts to boot.
It takes about 15~20 seconds to recognize, I guess, my primary IDE disk. After that it is a breeze, very fast.

To explain more specifically, I have a VIA raid 0 setup for boot device and an WD200 hard drive in a primary master IDE channel for storage. If I unplug(disconnect) the WD hard disk, booting is very fast, not pausing for 20 seconds trying to find(locate or recognize) IDE drives(my WD hard disk).

If I reconnect the WD hard disk, booting pauses back for about 15~20 seconds just after I start the computer.

What should I do? Is there any way to boot without pausing for 20 seconds with my hard disk?

Thank you for your prompt reply.
:frown:

JulesMaximus
04-05-2004, 03:27 PM
Originally posted by: yongsiklee
Sorry I posted at the other place by mistake.

My problem is:

Booting pauses for 20 seconds just after it starts to boot.
It takes about 15~20 seconds to recognize, I guess, my primary IDE disk. After that it is a breeze, very fast.

To explain more specifically, I have a VIA raid 0 setup for boot device and an WD200 hard drive in a primary master IDE channel for storage. If I unplug(disconnect) the WD hard disk, booting is very fast, not pausing for 20 seconds trying to find(locate or recognize) IDE drives(my WD hard disk).

If I reconnect the WD hard disk, booting pauses back for about 15~20 seconds just after I start the computer.

What should I do? Is there any way to boot without pausing for 20 seconds with my hard disk?

Thank you for your prompt reply.
:frown:

What are your boot settings in the bios? Is your drive hooked up properly? Set to master on the correct IDE connector? Go into boot settings and make sure your RAID is the primary boot device. I think I have mine setup as RAID, Floppy, CD-ROM. I don't think I even have the bios looking for the IDE drive on bootup. I see it in Windows though and it does detect the drive during boot. Maybe it's looking for an operating system on the storage drive because you have it set as a boot device?

yongsiklee
04-05-2004, 05:08 PM
My problem got solved by another friendly expert ;)

I had my wd ide drive as master and that was wrong.
I had to have it as a single drive.
Booting paused because my WD ide drive set as master was looking for its slave.
After having it as a single drive it all worked fine. In about 10 seconds I'm at the desktop ;)

JulesMaximus
04-07-2004, 12:18 AM
G0d damned RAID crashed tonight. I had the computer on for a couple hours and just as I was coming down stairs to use the computer I see the boot screen and it is halted at a message saying that no disk was detected, press g to continue. I'm fed up with this. I'm sending this motherboard back and waiting until the nforce3 250 boards are out. You can bet it won't be an ASUS board I'll buy either.

I'VE HAD IT!!!

dntreid
04-07-2004, 11:35 AM
This solved my problem too. I've been wondering why it took so long to boot up - pausing at the initial graphic for about 10+ seconds, and then after all the POST stuff, I'd get a black screen for about 15-20 seconds, then the hard drive would finally start spinning and the Windows bootup screen would show up. It was taking forever to boot up. Took the jumper off my hard drive so it is now a "single" drive instead of "master", since I don't have a slave drive connected to my IDE1, and now it boots up without a hic up. I've had no other problems with this board since I got it, though I must say the documentation on installing drivers at initial setup is confusing and lacking. I'm still not sure if I got things right between the different IDE/SATA/RAID controller options on the VIA and Promise controller chips. But somehow, all 5 of my drives are working (3 IDE hard drives, a DVD +R/RW & DVD-ROM). Don't know if they're at peak performance though.

Thanks for posting your solution.

Algere
04-07-2004, 01:44 PM
Originally posted by: JulesMaximus
G0d damned RAID crashed tonight. I had the computer on for a couple hours and just as I was coming down stairs to use the computer I see the boot screen and it is halted at a message saying that no disk was detected, press g to continue. I'm fed up with this. I'm sending this motherboard back and waiting until the nforce3 250 boards are out. You can bet it won't be an ASUS board I'll buy either.

I'VE HAD IT!!!

tough luck

THELAIR
04-07-2004, 09:59 PM
my original issue was due to the first batch having bad capacitors.

my 2nd issue was with a new fresh board that did not have the capcitor issue, and I base my judgement on that board being completly useless.

Perhaps it is my systems configuration, my all SATA setup, or somthing else. Perhaps if I had my K8V configured in a system wiht components of those on here who are not having any issues in my system, i wouldnt have any issues either.

but that is total bull sh!t in my mind due to the fact that as soon as I swapped out the 2nd k8v and replaced with an MSI k8T everything worked!! SAME EXACT hardware.

based on what i have experienced and have heard here and elsewhere I am as secure in my statement by suggesting users avoid the K8V as I ever have.

LeeC
04-08-2004, 01:05 AM
Thats exactly why I have been telling people for two omnths to go to the MSI..I have not had a single problem with the MSI, and I have built three since the first of the year..A64+MSI=reliablility.Period.

JulesMaximus
04-08-2004, 10:52 AM
Originally posted by: LeeC
Thats exactly why I have been telling people for two omnths to go to the MSI..I have not had a single problem with the MSI, and I have built three since the first of the year..A64+MSI=reliablility.Period.

I bought this board primarily because of the positive reviews on Anandtech but I don't know if it will be worth waiting for nforce3 250 or should I just buy the MSI board and be done with it? Will nforce3 250 make much difference? Of course I may have different issues with nforce3 250 since it will be brand new technology.

Is it possible that one of my WD Raptor hard drives is bad? They don't make any funny noises, they seem to run fine for a little while (few days to a week) and then suddenly my RAID breaks. I've gone through this 4-5 times now. Formatting and loading Windows. When it works it is very fast. Much faster than the 7200rpm IDE drive. I don't think it is heat related, as I have 3 drives in a Lian-Li PC60 case in the hard drive cage which is right behind 2 80mm fans-case temps never get very hot and cpu temps are always well below the maximum. Everything is stable when booting from the IDE drive though.

Algere
04-08-2004, 12:39 PM
Personal experience the K8V-D has worked fine for me, RAID and all. As for why ppl are waiting for nForce3 250 it's the features which brings new things to the table. The performance difference between the nForce3 250 and the K8T800 are negligible.

Finally it's your call MSI from what I heard and ASUS from personal experience are both good motherboards and yea there's always the possibility some bug or glitch that could arise & affect upcoming boards based on the nForce3 250 chipset as it is with new technology.

I suppose if you can wait the nForce 3 250 does sound tempting from the previews I've seen.

LeeC
04-09-2004, 01:26 AM
When I had my Asus K8, It could be anything that would go wrong, but mostly it was video issues. If you have a buggy board, anything can popup. When I went to the msi, everything cleared up, and I have not had the panels off since. I got the bad ASUS on my first build, and msi cleaned it all up, so I much appreciate their boards. The cool thing about it is I changed to the msi, and changed to Nvidia 5900's, and the puter still punched all the way through booting to the desktop,without repair. I just had to load the right video drivers, and it was done..Over

CubicZirconia
04-09-2004, 01:34 AM
It's been awhile since I last posted here, but it turned out that my lockups were due to a bad 9800pro, not isues with the mobo or my psu. And that's my update.

Horsee
04-09-2004, 02:07 AM
So, I just bought the K8V SE board and I'm trying to format a single SATA 160GB drive and the manual only talks about setting up RAID! Raid would be great in I could afford another drive but I only have the one for now. Can I format this single SATA drive??? It's a Maxtor and I know the jumper is set correctly to master on the drive. I'm using the Primary SATA plug...

WHAT AM I DOING WRONG HERE? When I go to install windows, it says that there is no drive detected?

Uh? help... :gift::heart::light::heart::gift::frown:

Algere
04-09-2004, 03:38 AM
Originally posted by: Horsee
So, I just bought the K8V SE board and I'm trying to format a single SATA 160GB drive and the manual only talks about setting up RAID! Raid would be great in I could afford another drive but I only have the one for now. Can I format this single SATA drive??? It's a Maxtor and I know the jumper is set correctly to master on the drive. I'm using the Primary SATA plug...

WHAT AM I DOING WRONG HERE? When I go to install windows, it says that there is no drive detected?

Need to install the Promise SATA controller "ATA Mode" drivers. That'll allow non-RAID drive operation.

pwain
04-10-2004, 01:12 PM
alright, i built my machine today and am having a big problem.

well everything is all hooked up and i turn the comp on and hold down the delet key. The American Megatrends BIOS page comes up and says "Entering Setup..." then list a few thing, gets down to the ram, and thats it. I let it sit for a few minutes and nothing. It just stays at the screen.

any idea what could cause it to hang like this? I havent heard the SATA hdd spin or anything, but it appears to be plugged in correctly

here is the screen exactly:

ASUS K8V SE Deluxe ACPI Bios Revision 1001
CPU: AMD athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3000+

Entering Setup...
press <F8> for BBS POPUP
1 AMD Northbridge, RevUnkown
VIA K8T800 AGP Contoller, Rev A2
VIA VTA237 South Controller, Rev A2
Checking NVRAM.. Update OK!
Installing USB Controllers..Done.
512MB OK

things I have tried:

resetting the CMOS
Moving the RAM to different slots
Moving the SATA connector around

and still cant seem to get into setup. Has anyone with this board had this problem or know of anything like this happeneing?

hopefully someone will know the answer :)

pwain
04-10-2004, 01:12 PM
alright, i built my machine today and am having a big problem.

well everything is all hooked up and i turn the comp on and hold down the delet key. The American Megatrends BIOS page comes up and says "Entering Setup..." then list a few thing, gets down to the ram, and thats it. I let it sit for a few minutes and nothing. It just stays at the screen.

any idea what could cause it to hang like this? I havent heard the SATA hdd spin or anything, but it appears to be plugged in correctly

here is the screen exactly:

ASUS K8V SE Deluxe ACPI Bios Revision 1001
CPU: AMD athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3000+

Entering Setup...
press <F8> for BBS POPUP
1 AMD Northbridge, RevUnkown
VIA K8T800 AGP Contoller, Rev A2
VIA VTA237 South Controller, Rev A2
Checking NVRAM.. Update OK!
Installing USB Controllers..Done.
512MB OK

things I have tried:

resetting the CMOS
Moving the RAM to different slots
Moving the SATA connector around

and still cant seem to get into setup. Has anyone with this board had this problem or know of anything like this happeneing?

hopefully someone will know the answer :)

FiberoN
04-10-2004, 04:55 PM
Well, since there is no lock on the PCI/AGP clock speeds on the K8V, and I am thinking of getting a 64 3200+, I was curious if anyone here has overclocked it with this lock and how much overclocking you can achieve without it crashing due to the agp/pci dilemma.

thracky
04-12-2004, 11:39 PM
Anyone else ever have any oddball USB issues with the K8V deluxe? All my USB devices work just fine, except for my digital camera which simply turns off the second I plug it into ANY of the usb ports. Every so often it works by some freak accident (1/100 times I'd estimate) and the camera works with other computers 100% of the time with no issues. I'm running a 350W enermax power supply so I don't think power is the issue (Only running 2 HD's and 1 cdrw and 1 dvd-rom drive). At any rate, whenever I plug the camera in and it isn't recognized windows just says there was an error and it's an unknown device. When it works, it works like any other removable media and i can just access the drive letter and copy the images off. I'm startin to thing there might be somethin flaky with the K8v usb controller tho. I've updated to latest VIA USB drivers, flashed to latest bios etc etc.

Rest of the board runs great though, but this usb problem is a pain in the arse.

nadlad786
04-13-2004, 08:44 AM
hi pls help i beg u all, I am having serious probs setting up my serial hdd basically i need to know exactly which makedisc.exe to creat i currently have the hdd connected to sata1 on the mobo my manual tells me to do this which makes no sense to me at all

i think i need promise/378/ata driver and make the makedisc.exe file but not too sure.

pls help me i am lost

5.6 Creating a RAID Driver disk

A floppy disk with the Promise SATA 378 or FastTrak378 driver is required when installing win xp/2000. you can create a RAID driver disk using Makedisc.exe utility.

(i dont get this bit, am i making a raid driver? all i want is one floppy one sata hdd and one cd rom am told i dont nbeed raid controllers for that?)

to create a raid disk:

1) insert mobo supprt cd and locate the Makedisc.exe utility for ure raid controler

A. the Makedisc.exe utility for the FastTrak378 driver is located "Drivers\promise\378RAID\Makedisx.exe" on the support cd

B. The Makedisc.exe utility for the VIA RAID drive islocated at "Drivers\Via Raid\6420RAID\DriverDisk\Makedisc.exe" of the support cd-rom.

2. insert a clean floppy disc into the floppy drive and execute Makedisc.exe. follow on screen instructions to complete process.

3. write protect floppy disc.

TO INSTALL RAID DRIVER

1. during OS install the sysytem prompts u to hit F6 key to install third-party-scsi or RAIS drivers.
2. Press F6 then insert floppy drive disk with RAID drivers on it.
Follow onscreen instructions.

AS U CAN TELL BY NOW I AM A NOVICE. BASICALLY I DONT KNOW WHICH OF THE MAKEDISC.EXE TO CREATE SHUD I CREATE THE PROMISE/378ATA OR THE PROMISE/378RAID OR SHOULD I CREATE VIARAID\6420RAID\DriverDisk I REALLY NEED HELP

I HAVE FOUND OUT THAT MY MOBO HAS A PROMISE CHIPSET ON IT SO DOES THAT MEAN I SHUD USE THE FASTTRAK CONTROLLER

PLS HELP

Caminetto
04-13-2004, 10:46 AM
thracky: Sounds like an older camera that needs new drivers for your OS.

nadlad: If you use sata you are going to need either the VIA or the Promise solution, both are available for this MB, and a makedisk for each is on your K8V cd. sata1 and sata2 is for the VIA, and pri_sata and sec_sata is for the promise - check your manual for location. (sounds like you are using the VIA connection with the Promise makedisk).

nadlad786
04-13-2004, 01:44 PM
caminetto- thanks for reply

so which dyu think i shud connect the hdd on the mobo and in conjuction with which of these drivers

which is the correct makedisc.exe file to make

D:\Drivers\Promise\378ATA
D:\Drivers\Promise\378RAID
D:\Drivers\VIARAID\6420RAID\DriverDisk

Caminetto
04-13-2004, 02:28 PM
nadlad -some say Promise, some VIA. I used VIA for my single maxtor 120GB sata drive on the assumption that the built in motherboard solution would be a better performer. (If you want to use Promise and have a single drive and not a raid setup, I assume that you would want the promise 378ATA). Again, sata1 is for the VIA -- and pri_sata is for the Promise - check your manual for location.

nadlad786
04-13-2004, 02:44 PM
Ok mate so u think i shud use sata1 connection on the mobo (VIA) along with using the D:\Drivers\VIARAID\6420RAID\DriverDisk as the driver disk
and then at the prompt press F6 and slip this new driver disk in which will be created from the blue floppy disc sign at D:\Drivers\VIARAID\6420RAID\DriverDisk

do i need to choose the option saying win XP and sata or win xp and raid?

how did u do it?, also i thought if you were only using the one sata drive as ure main harddrive u wud only need to do a promise install? pls reply

also do sata drives need to be set to master/slave etc if so what dyu think i shud set it to .....thanks once again

Caminetto
04-13-2004, 07:57 PM
I don't remember that option for the via, but you are not installing a raid array.
Remember you are using via and not promise.
I believe I left the hard drive as cable select (didn't need to set as master or slave - don't think it would hurt to set it to master).
Don't forget to set your bios under advanced/chipset - onchip sata bootrom "enabled" & onboard promise controller "disabled" & under boot - set 1st drive to via vt6420.

nadlad786
04-14-2004, 04:04 AM
on my sata hd dyu know which pins the jumpers go over if u count the pins from left to right just that i have already connectedmine in and it will make a gretaer mess if i try and take it out and fiddle with it, also does the cdrom connect from the blue ide connector on the mobo dyu think i shud run two cdr oms one dvd player and one cdrw off the one cable?

nadlad786
04-14-2004, 09:17 AM
cammineto:
just want to know a coupel of quick things u know coz i bought seperate 80mm fans dyu reckon i could inter connect a few devices together and then connect them off the psu or do i need to connect each device on its own. am only asking because i seem to have a lot of connectors and not so many coming off the psu!

wud it still work if i connect some together using the male and female connectors onm each device and linking them together and then connect to the psu cable such as i could connect the fans together and maybe the two cd roms i have and then link them in two of the power connectors from psu

also on the asus k8v mobo i am runnign two cd roms one a dvd player and the other a dvd writer should i run both of one 80 pin ide cable or shud i connect two up

also do u think they connect into the long 80 pin connector on the mobo which is blue colour?

what do i need to sert them too shud they be master and slaves or summot coz i have a S-ATA hdd aswell running it is the only hdd i will be using.

Caminetto
04-14-2004, 12:02 PM
nadlad: I wish I had the time to lead you through building this system, and also I am having a hard time understanding much of what you are writing. Most of your questions are addressed in the manuals for your devices and can also be found on the respective websites. Addressing some of these questions as I understand them, quickly, as I have to leave for the day:
Yes you can string together power connectors.
Set up the cd/dvd 's as you like - I would set up as master and slave off the secondary ide connector saving the primary for a potential pata hd.
Again, check manuals for reference.

thracky
04-14-2004, 04:38 PM
Originally posted by: Caminetto
thracky: Sounds like an older camera that needs new drivers for your OS.

nadlad: If you use sata you are going to need either the VIA or the Promise solution, both are available for this MB, and a makedisk for each is on your K8V cd. sata1 and sata2 is for the VIA, and pri_sata and sec_sata is for the promise - check your manual for location. (sounds like you are using the VIA connection with the Promise makedisk).

Not at all actually it's a fairly new (as of 2003) Olympus D-560. It works with every other windows xp machine in this house with no driver installation required.

docpara
04-15-2004, 10:15 AM
Does anyone know if there is a way of controlling the fan speed/voltage for a fan powered by the Power Fan Header? How about the CPU Fan Header or the Chassis Fan Header?

Warning: Three things
1) Don't get in a hurry I bought the wrong CPU Cooler and 2 80 GB Pata drives instead of two 80 MB SATA drives. lol
2) Don't trust M$ and Intel - They-> Get rid of floppies, don't need em any more, Me -> Ok Cool no floppy, Gotcha -> XP Install will only load disk drivers (RAID Array driver) from FLOPPY! Had to jerk everything out to install floppy!!!
3) This particular combination of Motherboard and Case has an issue with attaching a floppy drive cable. The floppy controller interface is located on the rear side of the MB facing to the "side" rather than "up" (if you own the board look at it and you willknow what I am taking about). The case needed apx 1/8 - 1/16 of an inch more room to properly fit the floppy cable. I had to partially disassemble the cable to get it to fit. Took of the plastic part that the cable extractor tab was attached to and it fit.

Doc

Case - Antec Super Lanboy Aluminum Super Mini Tower Case Retail
PSU - Antec TruePower TrueBlue480
Motherboard - Asus K8V SE Deluxe
CPU - AMD Athlon 64 3200+ Processor Retail
CPU Cooler - Zalman CNPS3100+ CPU Cooler <-Never get in a hurry -This Cooler is for Athlon XP/P4 not Athlon 64
Memory - Mushkin 1GB PC3500 DDR Level 1 Dual Pack (2x512)
Video - PowerColor XR98-C3/B Radeon 9800 PRO
Sound - Creative Labs Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS Platinum Pro
Burner - Plextor PX708A Internal DVD±R/RW
Disks - 1 120GB Pata from existing system (Data)
2 80 GB Pata (new) in Raid 0 (OS + Programs)

:o

dntreid
04-15-2004, 11:47 AM
Does anyone know where I can get some good detailed information on all the bios options on this motherboard and what they all mean. While I know some of them, many of them are foreign to me, and the motherboard manual just tells you the obvious, i.e., it restates the title in a complete sentence and gives you what the options are, but it doesn't always explain what it means and/or what impact it will have. Any help would be appreciated.

docpara
04-15-2004, 06:49 PM
Does anyone know if there is anyway of accessing the CPU Temp/Fan RPM/CPU Speed from within Windows XP?

dntreid
04-15-2004, 07:40 PM
I think the ASUS Probe utility that comes with your motherboard on one of the driver/software CDs will give you most of this information and more.

docpara
04-16-2004, 02:06 PM
What type of memory are you using?
What slots have you installed the memory in?
Certain combinations of memory and slot position will yield 333 and lower performance in memory. Its a feature. ;)

John

nadlad786
04-18-2004, 08:51 AM
Hi got a quick query,

Am running 2 dvd drives one is a DVD ROM and the other a DVD-CDRW am also running a serial ATA hard drive. I know that setting up two drives from two IDE cables has its advantages over running them both off one drive so with regards to the Asus K8V SE motherboard would it be best to run the dam thing int his formation

pri connector (blue) >>>>>>>set drive to "master" >>>>>>> connect in the dvd drive.

sec connector (black)>>>>>>>>>> set drive to "master">>>>>>>>connect in the dvd writer.

So basically set both drives to master connect the DVD ROM drive to the primary (blue) IDE port and set the DVD CDRW to master connecting it in to the secondary (black) IDE port ....pls help total novice

geetarman
04-24-2004, 02:25 PM
I just recently got the K8V SE Deluxe and I got XP installed ok but no matter what I do it won't get out to the internet. I've been searching for an answer and tried ASUS's tech support as well as Marvell's and have not gotten any help whatsoever. The related articles they had that had fixes to try didn't help either.

Does anyone have a solution?

Algere
04-24-2004, 04:22 PM
A little more info?

broadband or analog modem? single PC or network?

loverblue
04-26-2004, 07:16 PM
i just recently brought an asus k8v se deluxe, with athlon64 3200+, 512 MB Kingston ddr 400 pc 3200, aspire dreamer 2 case, nec dvd-rw, a cd rw and a 40 gig WD hard drive. i put everything together but when i start the computer up, it says searchin for ide drives, no hard drive found, no bios installed. i cant install windows xp or win2000. i have a WD 40 gig ide drive that is hookup by the big black ribbon on the first blue ide connector on the motherboard. when we first put it together, the xp wouldnt run because it said the password was wrong. so my friend took the hard drive and formatted it on his computer and put the operation system back on the hard drive, then put it back on my system but the motherboard aint reading the hdd. now when we boot it up it said, reboot and set proper booting device. i need help. i dont know anythin about the raid, sata, or the promise controller. my hard drive is not really up to date.. i am really desperate, i been working on this for like a week now

imported_Sarge
04-27-2004, 08:54 PM
I'm having the same problem as geetarman. I have a Westell DSL modem provided from Bellsouth in which I have my service. This modem has worked fine with my laptop for over a year now, but when I connect it to my onboard lan of my desktop, I get nothing what so ever.

Now, I'm definitely a dunce when it comes to networking. I called Bellsouth and I spoke with them over the phone for about 1 1/2 hours and did a lot of trouble shooting. They even sent out a tech rep, and we swapped out the modem for a new one and still had no luck. We tried both connections with the modems (USB and Ethernet, at seperate times of course) I have onboard LAN enabled as well.

I have never been online with this machine. I have only installed the included drivers/software that came from the manufacturers for my components. In other words, I am almost 100% sure that I don't have any viruses.

Any ideas? Please help!

Sarge

Caminetto
04-27-2004, 09:44 PM
Don't quite understand why a motherboard would prevent you from getting online. Assume you have installed and reinstalled the 3com driver from your Asus cd. I would ask your question in the networking forum here or go to the Bell South forum at dslreports and ask for help there, BellSouth (http://www.dslreports.com/forum/ilec,bels) giving them details on what you have tried and error messages.
If you bought your Asus from a reliable vendor and the onboard nic proves faulty, RMA it.

Sapaca
04-28-2004, 08:32 PM
I just built a computer. It has the ASUS K8V/Deluxe Motherboard Geil 512mb DDR PC 3200 Ram (Running Dual Channel), AMD 64 3200, ATI Radeon 9800 Pro, Seagate 120gb SATA HD.

Currently my ram is running at 333mhz. Using a combination of the timings listed on these forums I was able to get it up to 400mhz, but not without losing system stability.

Has anyone here had experience with this ram, and what timings do I need it at to for my system to run stable with the Ram at 400mhz?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Algere
04-29-2004, 03:25 AM
Originally posted by: Sapaca
I just built a computer. It has the ASUS K8V/Deluxe Motherboard Geil 512mb DDR PC 3200 Ram (Running Dual Channel), AMD 64 3200, ATI Radeon 9800 Pro, Seagate 120gb SATA HD.

Currently my ram is running at 333mhz. Using a combination of the timings listed on these forums I was able to get it up to 400mhz, but not without losing system stability.

Has anyone here had experience with this ram, and what timings do I need it at to for my system to run stable with the Ram at 400mhz?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

In sig ;)

Don't know which type of GEIL DDR400 you have but the timings of the GEIL I'm using is part of their value series line and it's rated @ CL2.5-3-3-6 and installed onto the blue DIMM slot.

I doubt you can run it in dual channel so I assume you mean 2 x double sided. In that case install the first stick onto the blue dimm slot and the second one onto the yellow dimm slots next to it as stated in manual (slot 1 &amp; 2). If that doesn't work install the second stick into the yellow dimm slot farthest from the blue dimm slot (slot 1 &amp; 3).

Sapaca
04-29-2004, 08:02 PM
I tried what you suggested but it didn't work.

Can you think of anything else?

Thanks

Caminetto
04-29-2004, 10:52 PM
I noticied that there are a number of posts at newegg from those saying that their Geil Value Series would not do 400mhz. If that is what you have, you might think RMA.

Algere
04-30-2004, 06:18 AM
Might've heard the same thing too. I'd test it individually or in another system to see if each of those memory sticks can run @ PC3200.

imported_Arris
04-30-2004, 07:22 AM
Well I've had mine setup for a couple of weeks now.
Running sweet overclocked. No problems.

AMD Athlon 64 3200+ @ 2.2Ghz - 220FSB
ThermalRight SLK-948U with ThermalTake SmartFan II @ 2500rpm
Asus K8V-SE Deluxe
1Gb OCZ EL-DDR PC3500 440Mhz DDR
1 x WD SE 8mb Cache 80gb
2 x Seagate Barracuda IV 40Gb 7200rpm
2 x WD Raptors 36.7Gb 10,000rpm
ATI 9800 128mb (385/340 Samsung 2.8ns))
Creative Audigy 2
Sony 4x DVD+/-RW
17" Hyundai Q17 TFT, 19" Samsung 957DF Monitor
Lian-Li PC-50 case with 2 x Vantec Stealth Fan 80mm w/ Vibration Dampners
Logitech DiNovo Desktop with MX900 Mouse

Gotta love Cool 'n Quiet. Means when I'm surfing its almost silent :D

loverblue
04-30-2004, 01:08 PM
i finally got my computer to work. i have an asus k8v se deluxe, with kingston 512 ddr ram, 40 WD gig and nec dvd rw.. i installed windows and i install virus scan anti virus, my friend told me to get the update as soon as i get online but i forgot. so after i setup my dsl and started downloading for a couple of hours, my computer went poof and turned off by ittself . whenever i try to it turn back on the lights on aspire dreamer 2 case will light for a second and then turn off.. the computer will not turn on. i called asus tech and they made disconnect everything except the optical, floopy and disk drives. and it still didnt work.. i thought it was the power supply (350W) just burned on me at first but when i realize that when i turn on the computer and that the motherboard lights come on, i knew it wasnt the power supply although there a sicker on the power supply sayin it p4 ready but i dont know if that a big deal or not since i got an amd athlon 64 3200+.

any suggestions

Woodie
04-30-2004, 08:16 PM
loverblue...sounds like a CPU, RAM or motherboard problem to me. Try reseating everything, and then listening/watching for POST errors.

Reset your BIOS to Default or Setup values...assuming you can get to the BIOS.

You should be able to boot to the BIOS with only the: power, CPU/CPU fans, RAM, and video card connected. (no floppy, no IDE, no SATA) After that, you can try connecting one device/card at a time.

Algere
05-01-2004, 06:17 AM
BIOS Update - April 29th, 2004

1006 (http://usa.asus.com/support/download/selectftp.aspx?l1_id=1&amp;l2_id=20&amp;l3_id=1&amp;m_id=1&amp;f_n ame=K8vd1006.zip~zaqwedc) (K8V Deluxe only)

Ungor
05-01-2004, 09:26 PM
Main suggestion - PSU. Secondly - Thermal compound :
These systems put high demands on the PSU (Power Supply Unit).
This also means they generate heat.
Not all PSU's are equal - these need a decent PSU (truepower/antech etc), I would suggest =>400w
plus add some case fans with dust filters (unless the room is air con).
Your other gear looks OK. IFF (=If and only if) the PSU is decent - THEN -
the motherboard may be detecting overheating of CPU and shutting down.
Assuming the CPU is OK, perhaps replace the thermal compound (paste between CPU and heatsink).
(the layer from the factory seems a bit thin - I added extra when installing).
If you ensure good PSU; good cooling and correct RAM (per ASUS website), these K8V are great boards.
(Remember that 64 bit computing [with SATA] is almost 'cutting edge' for the mass consumption market.
You have a system that is only just out of development - still needs time for BIOS/Driver etc work).

nadlad786
05-03-2004, 06:18 AM
whenever i turn the computer on after having it off for a while i get this problem

Overclocking Failed! Please enter setup to re-congfigure system.
Press F1 to run setup
Press F2 to load default value and continue.

this is really bizarre as i have not done any overclocking and also al i do to get it to boot to windows at this prompt is press F1 go into bios and then do a save and exit and it boots up fine if u press F2 nothing happens any idea mate?

SouthernComfort
05-03-2004, 12:46 PM
Sup everyone , I'm so glad I found this fourm!!

I just got my system set up a week ago Thursday , and as allways I run it for a week or so to help all the parts to get to know eachother , WELL after a week of Running flawlessly , I decided to try the Windows Standby mode (to power down a little at night) and when it came out of stand by , there was no video signal.

I was in windows because I could BLIND hit Start/up 1/enter/over to the right 1/enter to shut the system down , and when I did I heard the windows music for power down/restart:confused:

Well after trying to start it several times and EVERY time it booted into windows wiht NO VIDEO!!

so I shut the power on the back of the PSU and waited for the little green light go out , and flipped it back on and restarted and POW it works again!!:beer:

So I tried a ColdBoot and........NO VIDEO AGAIN!!!:|

Again into windows (at least I know the sound works:roll;) ) and Blind Quit again.

Flip off power....again!

Started like no problems.........again!!

I should have bought an MSI

I have a Tech support request at the ASUS help desk , and will post back if its not the same old standerd stupid response you useually get from Tech suport.

Things I have tried:

Video card in another System..............WORKS Flawlessly!!
EVERY BIOS setting combo I could find..............nada!!
anothern Video card in this POS!!.....................Crap!!!!
Changed the RAM setup to every config possable...........Video????? NOPE!!!!

PLEASE HELP:(

also checked capasitors (<-Spelled right?...I think not , but you know what I mean)

I don't want to spen another year getting this board stable , I just finnished getting my A7N8X Deluxe just the way I want it after a year Feb.

Thanks for any help

Southern

Sickpuppy
05-03-2004, 08:06 PM
I just installed windowsXP pro on the following setup:
AMD A64 3200
ASUS K8V
(2)512 3-4-4 pc4000 mushkin
RADEON 9500 pro
Hercules GTXP
ANTEC 400Watt PSU
Western digital 13gig 5400rpm (my 80 gig is being RMA'd)

I have a few occasional problems along with some extra info to help give an idea of what is going on

1. When I run a new application for the 1st time, or I switch between running apps, the system hangs for a second or two. I checked the taskmanager to see if anything is eating up resources but nothing out of the ordinary there.

[When I run a game, or a 3d benchmark i have no slowdowns at all, and the results are satisfactory. I can run prime 95 for 8+ hours (never tried for longer because i am using the pc) I checked for trojans and virii, thats not the problem either. ]

2. I have had a few random reboots, with nothing in the systemlogs to explain it. This usually happens when i am installing software from a cd image mounted off the network, or browsing network shares. Occasionally it will randomly reboot when I am not actively doing ANYTHING on it. [IRC/AIM were running]

[I have a windows XP pro file server with 4 shared folders (each a different drive) They are all read only. My machine has 3 of them mounted as network drives. I mount an image from a drive using daemon tools latest version.]

3a. When i try to open the winrar GUI, it takes over a minute. If i just use the command to "extract here" it will work right away.
3b. When i open winamp, it takes 2 minutes before the gui finishes loading and the music starts. In either case ther CPU utilization is 0%.
(Ironically the bloatware windows mediaplayer9 opens in a second.)

[The 13 gig hardrive is in UDMA4 mode, and I seriously doubt that the speed of the drive has anything to do with the pauses. I am not overclocking yet. ]

Thanks in advance!

Kenazo
05-04-2004, 11:06 AM
I haven't used this drive, but I've run the SK8V (socket 940), pretty much the same board, There is very little linux support for the SATA raid on these boards, at least not for Redhat enterprise Linux. Just a heads up, don't expect it to work w/ SATA Raid under that OS, at this point.

neokenzo
05-05-2004, 11:24 PM
This board hasnt given me any problem since I set up RAID on Promise. Works like a charm. I'm sorry to hear about all the problems but I think its just fiding the sweet spot. Once you get that right, everything else will go smoothly. Only drawback so far is that it doesnt overclock well. I only managed to get 2.25Ghz out of it. But at least its stable. And who says that it doesnt like tight timings. I'm currently running it at 2-2-2-6 DDR400 stable. I've gotten it to 2-2-2-5 stable but some games doesnt like the timing coz it keep crashing. :)

Ungor
05-06-2004, 04:44 AM
S/puppy - try running on just ONE stick of ram rather than 2. This may sound a little strange but there is an issue with the Chipset and Ram (esp timings). Remove one of the ram cards and see if the delay is removed.

Sickpuppy
05-06-2004, 06:58 AM
Ungor: What model is your kingston ram and what are the timings?
I might just replace the ram [possibly the motherboard if that doesnt work] and see what happens, it looks promising as far as the delay, but i still got a random reboot which is not acceptable.

Corsair PC3200 2-3-3 twinpack should have no problem on any board, or i wouldnt want the board.

spinner
05-06-2004, 03:34 PM
Hi guys, i am having problem with the USB recognision. I got my maxtor usb hdd and when i plug it in and reboot it just hang during post while trying to detect it. I never had this problem before. Any suggestions from you guys ?

Kaptiva
05-10-2004, 12:00 AM
Hello

What power supply are you using for this setup? I am building a very similar machine and don't know if a 430 watt PSU will do or if I should be looking to get a 550 watt one? Mine will only have 4 hard drives though.

thanks

jamori
05-11-2004, 01:08 AM
Originally posted by: geetarman
I just recently got the K8V SE Deluxe and I got XP installed ok but no matter what I do it won't get out to the internet.* I've been searching for an answer and tried ASUS's tech support as well as Marvell's and have not gotten any help whatsoever.* The related articles they had that had fixes to try didn't help either.

I've had similar problems; I'm pretty sure my onboard ethernet controller is dead, and I plan on RMAing the board. The lights by the ethernet plugin on the board are off even from bootup (ethernet is enabled in bios..), and I know the connection on the other end of the cable works fine.

I'm also rather frustrated that there hasn't been a single BIOS update for the k8v deluxe se .. I find it hard to believe that the bios rev1, released like 3 months ago, is still the best they've got, when there have been multiple recent BIOS updates for both the k8v and the k8v deluxe..

imported_snowblind
05-14-2004, 05:51 PM
Hi guys I need your help.

I finally decided to get round to upgrading my 1700+ processor.
I went for a Athlon 64 3200+ woo we i thought what a performance jump.
I also got some twin mos 512 ddr ram to bump in my new k8v Deluxe SE Motherboard.

So on installing my new XP install i keep getting errors and restrting after a few hours i realise its my new ram stick so is tick my ddr 333 cruical stick in, no problem i'll just send it back.
The issue i have now is my graphical performance is 50% worse benchmark score on aquamark of 17,000 when i rpeviously got 28,000. My graphics card has not changed MSI Geforce ti 4800 SE.
I have updated my bios, updated my chipset drivers to the via 4 in 1. Please help me give me some suggestions on what to try anything. Alot of money spent for worse performance is not good.

Algere
05-14-2004, 07:06 PM
AF and AA off?

imported_snowblind
05-14-2004, 07:14 PM
Oh yes thats all of tried perfomrnace mode all that.

Ungor
05-15-2004, 08:28 AM
Snow - You are probably aware that a number of 32 bit applications willl run slower on the 64 than on a native 32 bit processor. Your Windows XP is no doubt the 32 bit version (unlike Mandrake 10 - linux compiled for the 64); and the performance tests are also 32bit apps. You would need a true 64 bit operating system, plus 64 bit performance tests to show the true ability of your hardware. Your system is just a bit ahead of the software developers - give it time.
In the meantime, it should still run damn fast - just not blindingly fast.

Ungor
05-15-2004, 08:42 AM
Snow - an example. I am running SETI 24/7 (the Berkley Uni distributed computing analysis of Satelite data - searching for possible meaningful signals from space). My AMD2500+ system cracks more SETI code per hour than the AMD64. Both systems run Windows XP. (The AMD64 is dual boot to Mandrake 10). The 2500+ has 512meg RAM and the 64 has 1 gig. (both tweeked with msconfig ConservativeSwapfileuseage = 1). Check the NET - 32 bit apps on a 32bit OS will run slower on a 64 bit hardware.

Caminetto
05-15-2004, 09:51 AM
Check here at AT and you will find that almost everyone has reported nice performance gains when upgrading to an A64. Snowblind has some other issues.

imported_snowblind
05-15-2004, 06:36 PM
Ok so i thought maybe bad driver issues may have caused problems so i did a complete re-format. Installed my 4 in 1 drivers, then nvidia 52.16 they were ones i feel most stable. All installed ok, but my benchmark results and frame rates are exactly the same, i tried homeworld 2 the frame rate on lowest settings and res are unplayable. I really do have issue's here, I don't want to buy a new graphics card until i sort this issue out. Tried sisandra tests on processor they seem right results, can't get the right results from my card though. the k8v deluxe se only supports 1.5v gfx cards, in the processes of finding out if mines 1.5v or 3.3v.

My bad its wouldn't fit if it was 3.3v :))

Booyah7653
05-16-2004, 01:26 AM
Help: When I try to install windows xp it won't recognize my hard drive, however when I press control F at startup I can see my harddrive model number and correct size in the promise utility. I put the asus cd into my other computer and made 2 floppies of drivers (the only ones it lets you make). I pressed F6 to use my 3rd party drivers during setup but it still says I have no harddrive when it gets through and won't install xp. I have a sata seagate 120 gig hd.

What should I do?

Algere
05-16-2004, 01:50 AM
Originally posted by: Booyah7653
Help: When I try to install windows xp it won't recognize my hard drive, however when I press control F at startup I can see my harddrive model number and correct size in the promise utility. I put the asus cd into my other computer and made 2 floppies of drivers (the only ones it lets you make). I pressed F6 to use my 3rd party drivers during setup but it still says I have no harddrive when it gets through and won't install xp. I have a sata seagate 120 gig hd.

What should I do?

Promise controller set as IDE mode and not RAID in BIOS?

Peppercat
05-19-2004, 07:37 PM
Argh, having an utter nightmare getting this board to work!
Issues include (but are not limited to):
No VGA (after 1 boot to BIOS)
No Keyboard after the RAID check (random)
Lockup at graphics card bios screen (the first screen that flashes up, occaisional)

Tried different graphics cards (both GF2 and FX5600), different monitors (my 17" TFT and a spare 17" CRT), different RAM slots and all the different positions possible for my HD (RAID, IDE1, IDE2). Tried with all my PCI cards, some of my PC cards, none of my PCI cards (removing the sound card seems to have temporarily cleared the VGA problem but now I have the keyboard problem).

Spec:
ASUS KV8-SE Deluxe
Athlon 64 3000+
Nvidia Geforce FX5600 128mb
512mb DDR RAM (appears to be Infineon PC2700, not one of the ones on the approved list tho)

EDIT: After hearing a faint sound from my speakers I doubled the volume, the No VGA problem is SOMETIMES followed after a while by "System failed due to system overclocking". The thing is, it's not overclocked.

herbinator
05-20-2004, 09:58 AM
I put my system together on saturday

Asus kv8 se deluxe
amd athlon64 3200 cpu
2 X 400mhz 512 meg ddr modules
2 x ibm 80 gig sata hd (raid 0 ) config on via controller
creative audigy 2
radeon 9800 pro
valencia case

everything is sweet no conflicts but im having 2 problems i have not connected the firewire on the seperate bracket(too lazy :) besides i only have 1 firwewire device canon dv camcorder i want to connect. I have connected the front case fire wire which i may well have made a mista ke with, but i still have the firewire on the back off the motherboard and a firewire connection on my audigy card.
None of my firewire connections work can anyone help me with this also i keep losing my cmos settings which is bloody annoying. i am running windows xp pro sp1 integrated (not 64 bit edition) tried that but just didnt think drivers are mature enough yet. Ive also updated my bios to the latest version as i thought that might be the problem and would iron out any kinks thanx in advance for any help

JulesMaximus
05-20-2004, 11:29 AM
Well, I don't want to jinx myself by posting here prematurely but...here goes. I think I may have finally straightened out the problems I was having with this system. I sent back my Raptors and had them replaced with two new ones. Everything installed fine and I'm up and running with RAID 0. I also had a bad memory stick so I sent that back and got a replacement. I haven't installed it yet though. I'm going to wait a while to see if the system remains stable with one 512MB stick and then try adding the new stick. I may just sell the other stick on e-bay though.

Algere
05-20-2004, 02:06 PM
Originally posted by: JulesMaximus
Well, I don't want to jinx myself by posting here prematurely but...here goes. I think I may have finally straightened out the problems I was having with this system. I sent back my Raptors and had them replaced with two new ones. Everything installed fine and I'm up and running with RAID 0. I also had a bad memory stick so I sent that back and got a replacement. I haven't installed it yet though. I'm going to wait a while to see if the system remains stable with one 512MB stick and then try adding the new stick. I may just sell the other stick on e-bay though.

Yea I wanna hear what your results are considering your luck with this board to date so far.

Peppercat
05-20-2004, 04:49 PM
Located what may be the problem: The PSU which I thought was 350w is infact only 300! Getting a new one tomorrow, fingers crossed.

Caminetto
05-20-2004, 05:59 PM
Glad to hear you might have solved your problems JulesMaximus. So many times people have 2, 3 or more problems with a system build and have severe problems trying to isolate and address each one. Also wondering if you ever heard anything from Asus tech support, since I don't think I've ever seen a post by anyone that did.

DeanHeart
05-21-2004, 03:59 AM
I'm having a problem with this sytem:

Asus k8v SE Deluxe
Amd Athlon 64 3000+
1024 MB RAM
Sapphire Radeon 9800 Pro
WindowsXP Pro

For some reason Cool 'n Quiet does not work, everything should be ok:

-Cool 'n quiet is enabled in bios
-ACPI 2.0 Support -yes- in bios
-Power management is on Minimal Power Management
-Latest Amd Athlon 64 driver 1.1.0.14 installed.
-Asus Cool 'n Quiet software is ginstalled.

Processor stays on 2000 Mhz when just running Desktop with systemload 0-1%.

Everything default, nothing overclocked.

Somebody? Anybody? Heeeeeelp! :)

Algere
05-21-2004, 05:20 AM
Originally posted by: DeanHeart
I'm having a problem with this sytem:

Asus k8v SE Deluxe
Amd Athlon 64 3000+
1024 MB RAM
Sapphire Radeon 9800 Pro
WindowsXP Pro

For some reason Cool 'n Quiet does not work, everything should be ok:

-Asus Cool 'n Quiet software is ginstalled.

Processor stays on 2000 Mhz when just running Desktop with systemload 0-1%.

Everything default, nothing overclocked.

Somebody? Anybody? Heeeeeelp! :)

There's a option to set something(forgot the name) from 1.1 to 1.4 and vice versa in the BIOS. Is it on 1.4?

DeanHeart
05-21-2004, 05:41 AM

There's a option to set something(forgot the name) from 1.1 to 1.4 and vice versa in the BIOS. Is it on 1.4?

ACPI APIC? Isn't this on by default? And why isn't there anything about that in the manual?

Algere
05-21-2004, 05:47 AM
Could be default then again maybe it isn't. I'm not sure if it's related to CnQ operation but I remembered it being recommended to be set @ 1.4

I'll continue checking. In the meantime is the BIOS on the K8V SE D the latest one? and what about the VIA 4 in 1's and windows updates.

according to this (http://www.asus.com/products/mb/cnq.htm) it looks like you did everything it says to do. hmm

DeanHeart
05-21-2004, 05:58 AM

I'll continue checking. In the meantime is the BIOS on the K8V SE D the latest one?

according to this (http://www.asus.com/products/mb/cnq.htm) it looks like you did everything it says to do. hmm

There is only one bios for the SE version... To bad I'm at work, otherwise I could check if the other bios setting is the solution... Latest 4in1 by the way.

Algere
05-21-2004, 06:43 AM
well the MPS 1.1 to 1.4 didn't have anything to do with CnQ afterall.

I also played around with ACPI APIC. When set to disabled my system wouldn't boot into windows at all.

Did the following to replicate the conditions

=====================================
=====================================

CnQ worked as expected on a K8V Deluxe (non-se)

DeanHeart
05-21-2004, 06:57 AM
Well thank you for the effort! I'll just keep searching...

Algere
05-21-2004, 06:59 AM
No prob

JulesMaximus
05-21-2004, 03:02 PM
Originally posted by: Caminetto
Glad to hear you might have solved your problems JulesMaximus. So many times people have 2, 3 or more problems with a system build and have severe problems trying to isolate and address each one. Also wondering if you ever heard anything from Asus tech support, since I don't think I've ever seen a post by anyone that did.

Actually, I did hear back from them. They sent me an in depth response but most of it was pointing out the very obvious, try the memory, try the hard drives, try the latest drivers...blah blah blah. They didn't say anything I hadn't already considered.

I have to say thanks to NewEgg.com though for replacing the defective hardware very quickly with no questions asked. I bought the RAM almost a year ago so it's nice to see a company that stands behind the products they sell. The new Raptors make a clinking sound every now and then during read/writes, the old ones didn't do that...oh well. It's barely audible.

nimachka
05-21-2004, 06:02 PM
I have the same problem,

But how do you add the drivers without windows up and running?

nimachka
05-21-2004, 06:29 PM
<blockquote>Quote
Originally posted by: Horsee

Need to install the Promise SATA controller "ATA Mode" drivers. That'll allow non-RAID drive operation.[/quote]

nimachka
05-21-2004, 06:36 PM
please please please help

I am experiancing the same problems,

I only have one sata Maxtor 160 gb drive but the mobo instructions only talk about raid set up,s

please could someone advise how I set this up to work.

I see from other links that I will probably need to load the drivers for this, Is this done by pressing F6 whilst loading windows?

Algere
05-21-2004, 07:27 PM
Connect the hard drive to the Promise(not the VIA) controller if it's not connected already, and then in the BIOS enable the Promise SATA controller and set it to "IDE" mode or whatever opposite of "RAID".

Then when installing windows hit F6(as you mentioned) and insert the floppy disk with the Promise "ATA Mode" drivers.

*FYI: The Promise SATA controller has 2 seperate drivers. 1 for RAID and 1 for stand-alone regular drive operation*

Finally I guess follow the onscreen instructions.

EDIT: You may want to select the Promise Controller/Hard Drive as the first boot device in the BIOS.

Algere
05-22-2004, 03:26 AM
BIOS Update - May 20th, 2004

1003 (http://www.asus.com/support/download/selectftp.aspx?l1_id=1&amp;l2_id=20&amp;l3_id=1&amp;m_id=2&amp;f_n ame=K8vb1003.zip~zaqwedc) - K8V

1007 (http://www.asus.com/support/download/selectftp.aspx?l1_id=1&amp;l2_id=20&amp;l3_id=1&amp;m_id=1&amp;f_n ame=K8v1007.zip~zaqwedc) - K8V Deluxe

1003 (http://www.asus.com/support/download/selectftp.aspx?l1_id=1&amp;l2_id=20&amp;l3_id=1&amp;m_id=3&amp;f_n ame=K8sedx03.zip~zaqwedc) - K8V SE Deluxe

SouthernComfort
05-22-2004, 07:15 AM
Got the 1003 for my K8V SE D/64 3200 last night , and it now goes into S3 (Standby) and wakes up without a hitch!! (no more black screen or annoying sound distortion after wake up from S3)

NOW I have NOTHING wrong with my rig!!:D

I says on the release notes "support for new CPUs/prosessers" , but it has fixed this other annoying problem for me....and I'm a happy camper!!!

BTW , the afudos flash program works awesome , worked without a hitch.

JulesMaximus
05-22-2004, 11:06 PM
Fvck. fvck fvck fvck. Stupid POS crashed today. I was playing UT2k4 when my son woke up crying (he's only 19 months old) so I left the game running and went to pick him up. I walked back in about 30 seconds later to find a blue screen. A few taps of Alt F4 and the system restarted only to not recognize my RAID. I don't know what to do now. I've had it with this POFS board.

Edit - Weird. Now it's working. After the crash this afternoon it wouldn't recognize the array on boot up but this evening it does and I'm in Windows on the machine right now.

Algere
05-23-2004, 03:26 AM
* Hugs K8V motherboard while knowing others are having trouble with theirs*

J/K :D (Would be a hassle to remove mb from case)

SouthernComfort
05-23-2004, 09:16 AM
Jules , Have you flashed with the new BIOS yet?

Its a snap and it fixed alot of annoying probs with my board , I set my FSB to 220 last night and played DOD 1.2 all night long and the temp did not get over 120F with a stock cooler , and it was HOT here in Fla. last night!

It would not do 220 (for me) and read the memory right in CPUZ before the BIOS flash , I am starting to suspect I should have flashed the BIOS with the same one from ASUS from the start , it may have been a bad flash from the factory , because my PC is acting like a whole new system , or the orignal was not fully compatible with the build of my chip.

Anyways , it can't hurt , and you'll probly have to restart twice after the flash and reset your settings in BIOS , so I would write em down.

use this:

AFUDOS /i<BIOS Filename here>

if your usuing the BIOS for the K8V SE Deluxe from ASUS , it will look lke this:

AFUDOS /iK8VSEDX.003

GOOD LUCK!

JulesMaximus
05-23-2004, 11:02 AM
Originally posted by: SouthernComfort
Jules , Have you flashed with the new BIOS yet?

Its a snap and it fixed alot of annoying probs with my board , I set my FSB to 220 last night and played DOD 1.2 all night long and the temp did not get over 120F with a stock cooler , and it was HOT here in Fla. last night!

It would not do 220 (for me) and read the memory right in CPUZ before the BIOS flash , I am starting to suspect I should have flashed the BIOS with the same one from ASUS from the start , it may have been a bad flash from the factory , because my PC is acting like a whole new system , or the orignal was not fully compatible with the build of my chip.

Anyways , it can't hurt , and you'll probly have to restart twice after the flash and reset your settings in BIOS , so I would write em down.

use this:

AFUDOS /i<BIOS Filename here>

if your usuing the BIOS for the K8V SE Deluxe from ASUS , it will look lke this:

AFUDOS /iK8VSEDX.003

GOOD LUCK!

I'll give it a try but last night I was playing UT2k4 again and the system froze up. My wife got on this morning but while she was working in Windows the RAID crashed...again. Now it won't start and I think I'm going to have to rebuild and reload everything...again. I'm so fed up with this. I can't tell you how fed up my wife was this morning. Luckily we have two other computers and I have an IDE drive with WinXP in the same system that I can run as a backup.

SouthernComfort
05-23-2004, 12:12 PM
Please , make sure you read the section in the K8V User Guide under Flashing BIOS , it will give you a step by step on what to download and how to flash , and get the newer version of AFUDOS at the ASUS site and MAKE SUPER SURE you get the right BIOS for your board.

Also , I find a IDE Main drive and a Large SATA (NO RAID) setup works best , you can back up anything you need whenever you want , and with as fast as this board and CPU are , you can do a complete install of your system in just a couple of hours.

Besides , out of all the times I've ever had to reinstall my system's , it has been that I screwed up my windows sooo bad , that only a reinstall woud do the trick.

good Luck ,

and I would try a reinstall even if you do decide to update your BIOS , your OS may allready be fubar'd.

JulesMaximus
05-23-2004, 04:20 PM
I've reinstalled Windows so many times on these SATA drives now it isn't even funny. Pobably into double digits since I bought this board back in January. It isn't the hard drives so I can only think it must be the board. I'll try the bios update. I may try running these disks just as two SATA drives and not in RAID 0. I honestly don't know why they would be so touchy in RAID 0 on this board. I am using one stick of 512 MB RAM right now and I'm only running it at 333MHz because Windoz won't install on the RAID at anything higher (even though this is Corsair XMS PC3200 RAM). I've tried manually setting the memory timings to that specified on Corsair's website for this memory but that doesn't work either.

Should I rma this board and see if a new one will work for me?

Algere
05-23-2004, 04:46 PM
Only thing I can think of that would make that board finicky in RAID is a OC, bad SATA controller drivers, or driver install assuming the board isn't defective. Again, only thing that comes to mind.

EDIT: Gotta ask, it's not set to turbo mode is it? That mode would've ignored your set memory timings, OC your CPU, and what not IIRC.

SouthernComfort
05-23-2004, 06:04 PM
I was gonna ask the same thing , Turbo mode does strange things to my windows....if I can even get windows to load in Turbo!!

RMA is up to you , I would try to use an IDE as your main drive and your SATA/SATA's as backups , I do know however ALOT of people have problems with some types of ram over others.

If it is in turbo set it to Standerd if not using Cool n Quite and Auto if you are using CnQ , and reinstall and see if that helps.

I feel bad for ya , it sucks to go through this kind of stuff with new hardware , I hope ya get it worked out.

PS: What version board do you have? I have the SE Deluxe and my first (and only for this version board , see ASUS website) BIOS was dated in Feb!! If you've had your board since Jan you may not have the SE. In which case I'd ck my capacitors and make sure you don't have the bad ones , if you do RMA that sucker!

http://www.asus.com.tw/support/faq/qanda.aspx?KB_ID=85257 (http://)

JulesMaximus
05-23-2004, 07:24 PM
Performance mode is set to auto (I've never had it on turbo). It is not overclocked but you are right, it does seem like an overclock type problem. I'm going to try setting it to standard and change my memory back to 400.

I've had no problems running this setup with an IDE drive as my boot drive with Windows on that partition but that kind of defeats the purpose of buying the two Western Digital 36GB Raptors (at over $200 for the pair).

The board is the ASUS K8V Deluxe K8T800 rev 1.12. I updated to bios 1005 about 2 months ago.

Edit - Last night after my lockup I went in to the bios and checked the cpu temp and it was at 47C. Certainly not above the limit for this cpu (I'm running an Athlon 64 3400+ cpu in this system). I bought all the parts from NewEgg.com back in Jan &amp; Feb of this year. I've had nothing but problems ever since.

Redmond
05-26-2004, 04:36 AM
BAD FLASH..

Ok.. tried to update my k8v se deluxe to the latest BIOS 1003... used the altF2 method.. well

it found the file.. starts to do it.. says erasing BIOS.. then, I think, flash aborted..

well.. no guesses what comes next.. no boot.. I can ehar the hard drives spin up.. the DVD burner.. but the floppy is dead as..

I read somewhere that the BIOS should keep it's boot block so you can recover with a floppy.. doesn't seem to work.. the floppy won't start..

I've reset the cmos. pulled the battery out.. no good..

anyone have ANY ideas if I can get to the boot block.. otherwise it's back to the retialer to see if they can fix..

Redmond

SouthernComfort
05-26-2004, 06:56 AM
#1 Rule: ALLWAYS have a Flopy disk that is DOS ready with A backup OF YOUR ORIGNAL bios!! AND allways try to flash from DOS , AND IF IT DOESN'T FLASH DON'T TURN OFF or RESTART , put you orignal disk in and run AFUDOS AGAIN. Even in a bad flash it will still stay in DOS till you restart.

These new fangle BIOS flashing things scare the crap out of me.

There is a place on the web to but ANY BIOS with ANY version , and I believe they will even send you a chip puller.(not sure though) I think its badflash.com or somthing like that , their chips work good , I have heard alot of good feedback on these guys. Ya just tell em the name make REV and model of you board and what version of BIOS you want and the flash it and send it to you.

There is also some that remove their Video cards and do a blind flash (it has somthing to do wth the AGP slot being open) , you have to setup a disk with AFUDOS (or your BIOS flasahing program) and start the PC watch the flopy and give it time to make sure its booted into DOS , then TYPE slowly and carefully the command for your BIOS flash (make SURE no mistakes) (I use AFUDOS) and give it a try , give it about 5 min to make sure its complete and then SHUTDOWN , put you video card back in nad start up , you may get a bad chksum error but you should also get a pressF1 for setup , if not restart again and press DEL right away and keep pressing till BIOS screen.

A good place for BLIND Flashing or bad BIOS questions is at NForcersHQ Fourms.

Good Luck

Redmond
05-26-2004, 08:43 AM
I usually do Southern.. I have Abit boards and I much prefer the dos disk flash.

But I thought this fancy asus BIOS idea might be worth a try.. hmmmm.. seems doing it the old fashioned way is still the best.

Tried removing the vid card.. there's supposed to be a boot sector that doesn't get flashed on the bios.. but no good.. no activity from the floppy..

looks like its back to the retailer... if they stuff me around i'll give badflash a go.

Is it just a matter of finding someone with an eeprom programmer? can they load the bios from a floppy back into the chip or is it more complicated than that?

Algere
05-26-2004, 05:16 PM
I would've just updated the BIOS in Windows.

SouthernComfort
05-26-2004, 07:22 PM
I believe they just flash the chip to whatever you want , you just tell the the make of you board and what BIOS you want and they flash a chip it and send it to you.

All you have to do is remove the old BIOS chip and install the new one , I've actually bought and am using a thing called a BIOS Savior on my A7N8X Deluxe , it works like a piggy-back BIOS chip with a switch on the back of you PC , If your BIOS gets hosed you just flip the switch and your off and running.

Anyways , I had to remove the old BIOS and put in the BIOS savior and then put my BIOS back on top of the BS.
And it was easy! you just pop out the old and push in the new , but you do need a chip puller.

Badflash.com

http://www.badflash.com/ (http://)

and to see a BIOS savior

http://www.ioss.com.tw/eg/rd1/ (http://)

good luck!

michael23
05-27-2004, 07:04 AM
Anything2 said:
" I have had no problems at all with this board with a 3000+, 2x512mb PC3200 Hynix chip. Guess im just lucky, but the onboard audio is causing me problems. The center/lfe outputis the wrong way around (center to LFE, LFE to center) the windows volume panel swap lfe/center doesnt work. Anyone know if there is a Soundmax util or sumthin to swap over the channels. "

Hey guys, I was reading through this post, and I am having exactly the same problem as the above... my SATA raid and everything works fine but I'm trying to use 5.1 spkrs and I can't get the center speaker to function properly. It seems the "Swap Center/LFE" option does not work....

Anyone know a work around or a fix for this issue?

Thanks.

JulesMaximus
05-27-2004, 11:18 AM
Originally posted by: Ungor
Snow - You are probably aware that a number of 32 bit applications willl run slower on the 64 than on a native 32 bit processor. Your Windows XP is no doubt the 32 bit version (unlike Mandrake 10 - linux compiled for the 64); and the performance tests are also 32bit apps. You would need a true 64 bit operating system, plus 64 bit performance tests to show the true ability of your hardware. Your system is just a bit ahead of the software developers - give it time.
In the meantime, it should still run damn fast - just not blindingly fast.

Actually, all my 32 bit aps, including WinXP, run faster on the A64 than my wife's P4. 64 bit O/S will be even faster though.

Algere
05-27-2004, 04:18 PM
There was a article that said 32 bit applications would run faster on a 64 bit CPU/OS than on a 32 bit O/S

EDIT: Article (http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/muglia_winserver.asp)

BM: One thing we've found is that 32-bit applications run better on the 64-bit OS than they do on 32-bits. Just adding a 64-bit processor and the 64-bit OS changes everything.

bannerwitcoff
05-28-2004, 11:25 AM
Hi,

Working with a Athlong 64 3000, K8V deluxe, Radeon All In Wonder, 1 Gb Corsair Ram...Windows XP.

I finally got Cool N Quiet to respond once I got all the settings right in the BIOS so it now shows that the CPU is slowing down to 800mhz.

However, the software is not behaving as it was before. The program will not minimize and I cannot "X" out of it. I now have to move it to the edge of my screen because it stays on top of anything I have open. And the voltage reading no longer appears. I've uninstalled and reinstalled the program 2 or 3 times. I also tried running a repair but when I do, it asks me to locate a setup.ini file from a CD but I don't know where or what it's looking for. I can't remember the last thing I did when this started occurring, but I want to say it was around the time that I updated the BIOS from the 1002 to the 1007 version.
Anyone else experience anything similar? Any ideas?

Also, I'm guessing this is okay, but I have to ask anyway: is the CnQ meter supposed to fluctuate or remain stable. For instance, with every new browser or application I open (or when I take an action within the app), the meter shoots to 2000mhz briefly, then comes back down to 800 mhz. Is that how it works for everyone?

Thanks!

Bill

Algere
05-28-2004, 11:52 AM
Can't say I have with the ASUS CnQ software but then again I don't have CnQ enabled anymore.

ElMonoDelMar
05-29-2004, 02:32 AM
I'm using this mobo, but I can't get it to recognize my SATA hard drive. It keeps looking for IDE devices and can't find any. I really wish I would have gone dell. Building your own computer ain't what it's cracked up to be.

Algere
05-29-2004, 03:31 AM
Are the SATA controllers(VIA/Promise) enabled in the BIOS?

michael23
05-29-2004, 03:37 AM
Building your own system is the only way to ensure cost effective quality.

Are you sure you hooked your SATA drives up to the correct inputs? As there's 4, 2 X SATA and 2 X Promise SATA raid inputs.... I hooked mine up to the RAID inputs and they were detected straight by the promise software....
Do you have the correct options activated in the bios? IE. promise enabled if you are using raid?

----

Is there anyone at all that has used 5.1 speakers with the standard onboard soundmax sound card?

thanks.

Amor
05-29-2004, 03:11 PM
I'm having a similar problem.

My asus k8v deluxe board manual says I need to download the latest bios from the net (my problem = I need to have my wd 35 gb raptor recognized by the system so I can get win xp onto this system). I've read in another thread where I am supposed to have a floppy with sata drivers available. I did not happen to get those drivers from New egg with my order.

Where Might I find those drivers?

Amor
05-29-2004, 04:48 PM
Got it set up with help from you guys. I created a floppy using the makedisk.exe portion of the 378 sata driver on the provided cdrom (that came with mobo).

They should make it more straightforward than this. I'm just glad there is a site like Anandtech to take the hairpulling out of computer builds.

ElMonoDelMar
05-29-2004, 06:22 PM
What if I don't have a floppy drive? Can I put the driver on a USB key or something?

Algere
05-29-2004, 07:10 PM
I didn't have a floppy drive either and still don't so I slipstreamed(integrated) the drivers into a copy of WinXP.

As for the USB idea, AFAIK it's not possible.

ElMonoDelMar
05-29-2004, 07:14 PM
I just got back from staples. 28 dollar internal floppy drive. Dang those things are cheap. I'm gonna see if I can't put that driver on the floppy and see what happens.

KiLLaBEEz
05-29-2004, 08:05 PM
I need help please
I have read every post and tried what I could find and no success. Heres my problem(others had similar)
Just bought a 74GB Raptor SATA drive. Connected the Power cable and red cable that mobo comes with and connected it to the VIA controller(the top one on moboSATA1) I enabled Boot SATA. I made CD 1st read so I can install windows, and hit F6 at the screen where it ask. I put the disk with the 378ATA drivers and select XP drivers. then enter to continue. When windows is at setup it says it cant find the HD. I restart, hit TAB and see the WD Drive there on the VIA controller part but I cant move anything with the arrows(WHY?) Since I am using the VIA one I left the Onboard Promise to OFF, right? Someone please tell me what part I am doing wrong. I have read similar incidents and tried what they did and still wont work. I know its something small I am missing. If I set the boot priority to VIA(so it will be the HD first) it goes but i get a blinking cursor and cant install windows. Set it back to the CD boot 1st. On the screen where the IDEs are, i dont see my HD as the primary, it says not detected
I am getting so frustrated because I am usually pretty good at PCs and this is my 1st SATA dribve and its driving me nuts. I swear I will thank whoever helps me step by step, so much and really appreciate it. I will even do IM through ICQ or AIM or email if you guys want to help me =( Thanks and hope to hear answers fast.

Algere
05-29-2004, 09:03 PM
Originally posted by: ElMonoDelMar
I just got back from staples. 28 dollar internal floppy drive. Dang those things are cheap. I'm gonna see if I can't put that driver on the floppy and see what happens.

You can get a floppy drive half of that price(or even less) on NewEgg.

Algere
05-29-2004, 09:25 PM
Originally posted by: KiLLaBEEz
I need help please
I have read every post and tried what I could find and no success. Heres my problem(others had similar)
Just bought a 74GB Raptor SATA drive. Connected the Power cable and red cable that mobo comes with and connected it to the VIA controller(the top one on moboSATA1) I enabled Boot SATA. I made CD 1st read so I can install windows, and hit F6 at the screen where it ask. I put the disk with the 378ATA drivers and select XP drivers. then enter to continue. When windows is at setup it says it cant find the HD. I restart, hit TAB and see the WD Drive there on the VIA controller part but I cant move anything with the arrows(WHY?) Since I am using the VIA one I left the Onboard Promise to OFF, right? Someone please tell me what part I am doing wrong. I have read similar incidents and tried what they did and still wont work. I know its something small I am missing. If I set the boot priority to VIA(so it will be the HD first) it goes but i get a blinking cursor and cant install windows. Set it back to the CD boot 1st. On the screen where the IDEs are, i dont see my HD as the primary, it says not detected
I am getting so frustrated because I am usually pretty good at PCs and this is my 1st SATA dribve and its driving me nuts. I swear I will thank whoever helps me step by step, so much and really appreciate it. I will even do IM through ICQ or AIM or email if you guys want to help me =( Thanks and hope to hear answers fast.

378 ATA drivers aren't the drivers for the VIA SATA controller. Those drivers are for the Promise SATA controller (ATA Mode). For single drive operation I'd probably use the Promise SATA controller over the VIA. Reason being, Any hard drive(stand-alone or in RAID/JBOD) won't display any type of hard drive activity light on your case when connected to the VIA SATA controller.

OTOH if you would rather use the VIA controller regardless. I'd use these (http://usa.asus.com/support/download/selectftp.aspx?l1_id=1&amp;l2_id=20&amp;l3_id=1&amp;m_id=1&amp;f_n ame=VIARAID220d.zip~zaqwedc) drivers for the VIA SATA controller. Your single drive will probably be read as a SCSI device in windows if you choose this method unlike the Promise which will(don't remember for sure) be displayed under windows as a SATA device.

P.S. If you do so decide to use the Promise SATA controller, you may want to enable "Onboard IDE mode" or however it is displayed in the BIOS opposite of "RAID mode" while disabling the Boot option for the VIA.

KiLLaBEEz
05-29-2004, 09:30 PM
Come on guys, someone please help me=(
I have tried every combination possible and it wont work on either the promise or VIA connections. I am running out of ideas and setting changes.

KiLLaBEEz
05-29-2004, 09:37 PM
Thanks for response. Ok, i want to use that file u said but its 7 megs, that wont fit on a floppy to install at F6 ??
I am not installing it as a slave to current setup, i unplugged my ATA drive and use my bros PC to come here and check what to do.
Now, if I connect it on the Promise connections, it wont show up at all, which is why I have been trying to use the VIA, at least there, i see it under the VIA setup screen when you hit tab. But at the windows setup , it sasy no hard disk found. Sorry to bug you but please help me some more.

Algere
05-29-2004, 09:39 PM
In Addition to my OP: The reason you may not be able to move the arrows might be because it's only movable when you have 2 or more drives ready for RAID/JBOD setup.

Algere
05-29-2004, 09:53 PM
Thanks for response. Ok, i want to use that file u said but its 7 megs, that wont fit on a floppy to install at F6 ??
I am not installing it as a slave to current setup, i unplugged my ATA drive and use my bros PC to come here and check what to do.
Now, if I connect it on the Promise connections, it wont show up at all, which is why I have been trying to use the VIA, at least there, i see it under the VIA setup screen when you hit tab. But at the windows setup , it sasy no hard disk found. Sorry to bug you but please help me some more.

That file is 7 megs(about) but within that file there's a small program that makes a driver installation disk for the floppy which is well under 7 MBs.

EDIT: I haven't used the Promise controller for awhile so if my memory serves, if it says not detected it may be because in the BIOS the Promise controller may not be set to IDE mode.

Amor
05-30-2004, 02:09 AM
Killa,

Somehow I got beyond windows xp not recognizing I had a hard drive. As I did not write down exactly what I did, please bear with me. After trying like you have been trying for numerous hours to no avail I just got fed up with what I was doing and kept plugging away. I did happen to end up using the fasttrak controller. I ended up connecting my 36 gb wd raptor to the sec_sata connector of all places. I had also hit alt f4 and set up my single hdd in a raid setting. (Why not I figured I had nothing to lose). This of course was after countless times (reformatting a floppy and putting the information i.e. raid or sata driver onto the newer computer). I also had to hit f6 immediately upon windows set up.

What finally happened and why? I have no earthly idea why it finally worked. I'm just glad it did. After setting it up like I did above, I once again used the drivers floppy raid (fasttrak this time) upon windows set up. This time the computer took those drivers and ran with them and I was able to set up Windows XP on my computer.

{My current roadblock happens to be with something more mundane. I can not get my New computer to work ethernet wise. I' thought this board had ethernet capability. How do I turn that on? Where do I find it? I've turned it on in the bios. I figured out where to look to toss in the tcp/ip settings. But all I find under network settings is the 1394 adapter. Any info will be appreciated in return too lol.}

PWNettle
05-30-2004, 05:33 AM
Originally posted by: AmorMy current roadblock happens to be with something more mundane. I can not get my New computer to work ethernet wise. I' thought this board had ethernet capability. How do I turn that on? Where do I find it? I've turned it on in the bios. I figured out where to look to toss in the tcp/ip settings. But all I find under network settings is the 1394 adapter. Any info will be appreciated in return too lol.

I don't see mention of installing the drivers. After you get windows installed you'll need to install the ether drivers off of the Asus CDROM. I have the K8V and it seemed like I had to have a cable properly plugged in before the marvell driver installer will run properly. (I say properly because I had a prong from the I/O shield in the way of my jack such that the jack wasn't all the way plugged in, the Marvell installer didn't seem to be running correctly, and it took me a while to realize what was going on).

PWNettle
05-30-2004, 06:44 AM
I'd like to post my positive experiences with this board since so many seem to have negative experiences.

About 8 days ago I built my first ever 'computer from parts'. I'm a programmer (and game player) who's only prior knowledge of hardware was pretty much limited to some knowledge of video cards. I did a lot of research at this site and others to figure out component compatibility and to figure out what I actually wanted to buy. Three weeks ago I had no clue what cpu sockets, chipsets, ram latency, and a lot of other stuff meant (and I still only know the basics). My goal was to build a solid gaming PC within a limited budget and with no intentions of overclocking.

I decided to go with the Asus K8V board because Asus has a solid reputation and I didn't need the extra stuff from the deluxe type of boards. Throughout all my research I failed to read this thread until *after* I'd ordered my mobo from NewEgg...and I was a bit scared when I did read this thread. Although I was feeling a little uneasy after reading this thread, I also felt like I knew some of the pitfalls I needed to watch out for, like making a driver disk for SATA and the like - which is covered in the Asus manual but it could probably stand to be bolded, red, and highlighted or something since it's kinda important.

I was already intending to read all my manuals before building and reading this thread further cemented it. I'm a noob to hardware and figured I needed all the info and instructions I could get. I also used "mechBgon's (awesome) guide to building your first PC from parts" which was a huge help. As mechBgon indicates, you need manuals for specifics - but, in my noob opinion, manuals can only take you so far - for a noob builder like me it was nice to have mechBgon's guide to help with an overall build plan and strategy (not to mention that it's amusing in places.)

It took me 2-3 hours or so to assemble my PC, since I'm a noob and was being methodical, needing to refer to manuals a lot, and taking breaks between steps to refresh from mechBgon's guide. When I did my last check for loose wires and thought I was ready to boot I kinds felt like I might have a heart attack - I was sure I'd screwed something up or would have a motherboard horror story. However, my machine booted up perfectly on my first boot - and has been running smoothly nonstop ever since.

I had no problems at all with the Asus board or included bios. I found the board to be easy to work with - everything seemed nicely laid out and spaced for the components I had (keeping in mind that this was my first build and I have nothing to compare it to - and I have no intentions of overclocking). The manual, while it might've been a little more bold about pointing out some key issues like SATA setup, did contain all the necessary info to get setup correctly. I was a tiny bit concerned about the onboard sound since my older PC is SoundMax and had been screwing up a bit lately - but I'm impressed with the sound.

The one thing I do wish was a LOT more clear in the manual is which SATA controller is most ideal for a single SATA drive setup. I dunno how many times I read through that stuff but I swear all they talk about is raid setups. I also swear that I read somewhere earlier in this thread that the VIA was the most ideal for a single drive setup - but now I've read several more recent posts in this thread saying the promise is the more ideal (and that's why I don't see HD activity lights). I wish the manual was more clear on this topic. I ended up using the VIA controller - and it seems to work nicely - but I'm lacking HD indicators (no biggie).

One other thing I didn't read about until it was too late was the recommended memory for the board at the Asus site. I picked decent quality RAM and it seems to be working properly despite not being on the recommended list so I guess I got lucky.

The final system:

Antec Sonata Case (comes with 380W PSU)
Asus K8V Motherboard
AMD Athlon64 3000+ (retail - using stock HSF)
1GB Corsair Value Select RAM PC3200
Maxtor 120GB HD (SATA, 7200 RPM, 8MB Cache)
Lite-On 16x/48x DVD-ROM
Sony 3.5" Floppy
ATI Radeon 9800 Pro (128MB)
MS Windows XP Pro
(Using existing 19" monitor, MS optical mouse, and MS (original) natural keyboard)
(no burner since I have one in my old box and rarely use it)

I happened to catch the RAM and video card at the Fry's anniversary sale at nice prices - everything else I ordered from NewEgg (along with FarCry and UT2004 - gotta have some new candy to go with a new gaming system!).

I'm quite pleased with the system. It seems to idle around 34/35C and I've seen it up to 45ishC after a good gaming session - which seems reasonable from what I've read here (considering I'm using stock HSF and just the one stock fan on the Antec case - and considering I'm in Arizona where everying is friggin hot).

It's not the most state-of-the-art machine but I think it's decent for my needs and budget and it completely smokes my old (don't hurl) HP Pavillion P4 1.5ghz, 768RAM, GeForce FX 5200. (I can't dog my old system too much - I ran it hard 24/7 for over 1.5 years, put more RAM in it, went through 3 vid card upgrades, and it performed like a champ - and continues to do so for my wife.)

Cheers,
Paul

PS - Forgive my rambling. I tend to be verbose!

Algere
05-30-2004, 07:03 AM
I haven't had a negative experience with this board either, nothing I couldn't handle on my own anyways.

Obviously ppl who actually don't have problems with this board don't usually post here unless they're giving advice. It's the ppl who do have problems with this board that do.

Anyways your experience was entertaining to read nevertheless. :)

KiLLaBEEz
05-30-2004, 11:50 AM
Well thanks for you help, you guys are the best!!
Well I finally tried those 7MB drivers and found the VIA SATA you were talking about. I put them in a disk and lord and nehold, windows finally saw it. Thank you.
No when It reboots to continue the setup i get thisfatal error i remember I got when I first installed windows on my ATA HD back in february. But I cant remember what I did to get past that error because I obviously did. I think and think of what I did to get past that and still cant remember. The error was something like 1894 ...cant recall, ill check tonight. Any ideas as to what it might be. If I am not mistaken i think i used my bros 2100 512mb stick because i have 2x 512LL XMA sticks and maybe it doesnt like them. But my girlfriend came over and didnt have a chance to continue until today when I get home. Hopefully by then, someone in here would have an idea or suggestion.
BTW, before i had the SATA driver, this board never gave me problems, so if people in here are reading complaints, I really didnt have any till this SATA thing, but then again, its my first so....
Anyways, thanks guys.

SouthernComfort
05-30-2004, 12:52 PM
but I'm lacking HD indicators (no biggie

Try flipping your HDD plug going from the lights to your mobo , just give it the old 180.

KiLLaBEEz
05-30-2004, 06:53 PM
Ok i got home and wrote down the error i get when windows is gonna install after the reboot.
Error Instalation Failed:D\1386\asms
The Parameter is incorrect
Fatal Error
One of the components that windows needs to continue setup could not be installed.
The parameter is incorrect.
This happened to me like i said, back in february when I built my system, but I forgot what I did to get pass it. Please help.
I finally get the raptor to work, and now this.....OMG!

KiLLaBEEz
05-30-2004, 07:59 PM
Woohoo! I remember what it was. The freakin CD drive gave me this error. I used the other drive and it worked, im glad I remembered.
Now to install all mobo drivers and XP updates etc.
One thing I noticed is that when I shut down windows, i get a "It is now ok to shut down your computer", and I have to push the power button on my case. Why? Before it would shutdown automatically, is it something to do with the SATA or what?
Also, its true i see barely to no HD light activity light. Can i now switch to the promise controller like you said, or since i installed windows on VIA, i have to stick with it?
Thanks again

oneillscurry
05-30-2004, 09:07 PM
I have the k8v SE deluxe with Athlon 64 3200+ also and had the same problem when upgrading to BIOS 1003 from 1001 using the alt f2 method (aka ASUS EZ Flash). I was also unable to boot up to recover the BIOS from a floppy or CD. My monitor was black - the only sign of life was the green LED on the mobo. I called ASUS BIOS support they sent out a new BIOS chip with 1003 - still no go. (this cost $40 for the express option). ASUS tech support suggested that the AFUDOS method is the safest wasy to upgrade - too late for me. My mobo combo is on its way back to the retailer for replacement.

Algere
05-30-2004, 10:15 PM
One thing I noticed is that when I shut down windows, i get a "It is now ok to shut down your computer", and I have to push the power button on my case. Why? Before it would shutdown automatically, is it something to do with the SATA or what?
Also, its true i see barely to no HD light activity light. Can i now switch to the promise controller like you said, or since i installed windows on VIA, i have to stick with it?
Thanks again

The "It is now ok to shut down your computer" message may have to do with something else other than the SATA drive. Maybe updating Windows, installing drivers, etc. will fix it.

As for switching over from the VIA controller to the Promise. See if you can successfully install the Promise 378 "ATA Mode" drivers while the drive is connected/operating on the VIA controller.

I'll assume if you can then it's possible to switch over. However, I've personally never done this myself.

Algere
05-31-2004, 02:34 AM
Originally posted by: oneillscurry
I have the k8v SE deluxe with Athlon 64 3200+ also and had the same problem when upgrading to BIOS 1003 from 1001 using the alt f2 method (aka ASUS EZ Flash). I was also unable to boot up to recover the BIOS from a floppy or CD. My monitor was black - the only sign of life was the green LED on the mobo. I called ASUS BIOS support they sent out a new BIOS chip with 1003 - still no go. (this cost $40 for the express option). ASUS tech support suggested that the AFUDOS method is the safest wasy to upgrade - too late for me. My mobo combo is on its way back to the retailer for replacement.

Longshot suggestion

With the new BIOS chip installed, have you tried clearing the CMOS?

KiLLaBEEz
06-02-2004, 04:00 AM
Well once again thanks for all your help guys! Finally got the SATA raptor working just right.
Now, I have 2 spare regualr ATA drives that I want to connect as slaves. How do I go about doing that, and what jumper settings do the drives need?(Slave both I assume right) And both connected to the primary IDE connecotr right? I tried that, and the ATA drives became the primary and the SATA wouldnt boot to XP because the ATA were there *+(with no OS in them) How can I make them slaves and boot of SATA drive?

Algere
06-02-2004, 04:10 AM
Maybe you can try the secondary PATA IDE channel or the Promise Controller's PATA channel.

P.S. Correct on setting both to slave AFAIK.

KiLLaBEEz
06-02-2004, 04:20 AM
[quote]
Maybe you can try the secondary PATA IDE channel or the Promise Controller's PATA channel.

Where is the secondary PATA IDE channle? Is that where I have my optical drives in?And the Promise one, is that the BLUE IDE one near the SATA promise ones? Please provide me with clearer detail. Thanks alot man!

Algere
06-02-2004, 04:26 AM
Aye

The blue one is the Promise PATA channel and the black one parallel to the other blue one is the secondary PATA channel IIRC.

KiLLaBEEz
06-02-2004, 04:47 AM
I put them in the secondary PATA and only one shows up. Maybe they dont have to be slaves???

Algere
06-02-2004, 05:03 AM
I suppose you can try 1 master/1 slave on the same secondary PATA channel or one on the secondary channel and the other on the Promise controller.

KiLLaBEEz
06-04-2004, 02:05 AM
I finally did it and just in case anyone cares or someone needs the info later. I used the VIA for the SATA and the IDE2 I put both ATA drives there, one as master and one slave, just make sure the SATA VIA is the one that boots first!
Thanks everyone!

Regs
06-05-2004, 12:58 AM
This thing is a pain to tweak. The bios just wants to auto adjust everything even though everything is set to manual.

I cannot get my CPU to run at 2.2 Ghz even with a divider. It drops the multiplyer if I try too. I miss my Gigabyte K8T :(

Algere
06-05-2004, 03:16 AM
What prompted the change in MB?

imported_spikey
06-05-2004, 03:08 PM
Hello all-

There are so many things I have seen in this thread that will be useful.
!st time here, and I have an Asus K8V-se-deluxe and AMD 64 3400+ cpu coming, and should be here next week. Windows XP Home is the OS. I will be running a 420w PS, and an 80 gig Maxtor Ultra/ata 133 drive, with a ATI X800 pro video card. The ram is Kingston 512MB PC3200 400 DDR 184 pin, total of 1024 (2 sticks).

Ram info as follows-
Error Checking: Non-ECC
Registered/Unbuffered: Unbuffered
CL (CAS Lantency): 3
Timings: 3-3-3
Voltage: 2.6v
Chip Type: 32Mx8
Operating Frequency: 400MHz
Bandwidth: 3.2GB/s
Clock Frequency: 200MHz
Organization: 64M x 64
Pins: 184 Pin
PCB: 6 Layers

Questions... So many questions...

1. Altho this ram is one of the suggested ones mentioned on Asus for the K8V, Im thinking there will be little room for OC'ing it. In fact, Im such a noob I thought pc3200 was the fastest until reading here. So will this be a limiting factor?

So "what" is the best OCable ram for this board- Ive seen lots of them mentioned.... Now I dont want to go crazy here- just be able to bump up the ram timings a bit (did I say that right?)...

2. Im not going to be set up for SATA, or RAID, or JBOD- just a single 80 gig drive I may split in to 2 40's. If I ever DO decide to purchase a sata hard-drive, and already have my OS on the Maxtor ide drive, is this a problem-? will I have to re-install anything if a add a sata drive later? How do I do the F6 thing, if XP Home is already installed? I see that there are 2 seperate controllers- and in order to load them you have to hit F6 while doing an XP install- and then load drivers from the floppy. So where are these promise drivers? And, just what are the advantages of running sata in the first place over ide? Is there a increase in gaming gained by using sata drives?

3. Bios- Im pretty sure (not certain) that when this board (K8V-se-deluxe)arrives it will need a bios update. The Asus site mentions using AFUDOS207.zip for flashing, and the latest bios for the board I have, is K8sedx03.zip- correct?

Is there anything else I need to have, software wise- for the installation of this board?

Thanks to all for being so helpful, and greetings from Texas.

Mike

XeroXed
06-05-2004, 03:33 PM
Hey, first time at the forums and I'm glad that I found this.

I recently bought the K8V SE Deluxe, AMD 64 3200+, ATI X800 Pro, Mushkin Pc3200(1 gig), 200 GB SATA Maxtor drive, 420W PS and a DVD, DVD-R, Audigy ZS sound card. I have connected everything just fine, but have had nothing but problems with this board. The MoBo recognizes my hard drive, but when I tried to install Windows XP Pro it said no hard drive. The AMI screen also says no hard drive attached. I have tried both sets of SATA ports, but neither work. I've switched SATA cables even. Any ideas?

Just when I might have the first problem figured out, something else happens. After two boots today, the monitor isn't being recognized by the computer. All I get is a "Check Cables" screen, I tried the monitor on a different computer and it works like a champ however.

Any help would be appreciated. I am getting fed up with this motherboard and I am about to RMA it, and get an MSI.

imported_spikey
06-05-2004, 08:45 PM
Hummm,

Well I hope I didnt ask the wrong questions here... ;)

I have looked at the reviews, and the ones I have seen so far show the K8V as one of the higher rated mobo's... Strange, since it has caused so many people here problems... I guess I'll just have to wait an see for myself... I did order some copper heat spreaders for the ram , and will be using a Venus-12 for cooling the cpu... If I cant overclock this cpu/board much, at least it will be cool!

fbrdphreak
06-05-2004, 11:44 PM
Does anyone have any recommendations on memory for this system? Both in terms of compatibility and performance. Anandtech reviews point to OCZ PC3700EB as the best so far, but that's about $175 for 512MB. OUCH!! I will most likely be getting an Asus K8V SE Deluxe with an Athlon 64 3200+ 1MB. I'm upgrading from an Athlon XP 2500+ OC'd to 3200+ and I don't think my Corsair TWINX512-3200LL DDR 400 time 2-3-3-6-T1 will cut it anymore. Also, any comments on plus/minus about the board would be appreciated! Thanks in advance

imported_spikey
06-06-2004, 10:13 AM
fbrdphreak

Ive seen where in a review of the K8V, the reviewer stated to use what was recomended on the Asus site for the board. I have also seen one or two post's here that say the same. Of course, those recomendation are for a non overclocked board Im thinking, so your OCZ ram could be the better for that. Will the OCZ PC3700EB sticks even run on a K8V-se-Dlx? Its not listed that I can find on the "approved" Asus list....

Wynner3
06-06-2004, 02:06 PM
Does it matter which motherboard I get? Either the K8V or the Se Deluxe? Is one better than the other?

Algere
06-06-2004, 06:07 PM
The SE Deluxe has more features than the regular K8V.

XeroXed
06-06-2004, 07:34 PM
I recently bought the K8V SE Deluxe, AMD 64 3200+, ATI X800 Pro, Mushkin Pc3200(1 gig), 200 GB SATA Maxtor drive, 420W PS and a DVD, DVD-R, Audigy ZS sound card. I have connected everything just fine, but have had nothing but problems with this board. The MoBo recognizes my hard drive, but when I tried to install Windows XP Pro it said no hard drive. The AMI screen also says no hard drive attached. I have tried both sets of SATA ports, but neither work. I've switched SATA cables even. Any ideas?

Just when I might have the first problem figured out, something else happens. After two boots today, the monitor isn't being recognized by the computer. All I get is a "Check Cables" screen, I tried the monitor on a different computer and it works like a champ however. I think that i am going to have to fix this problem first.

Any help would be appreciated. I am getting fed up with this motherboard and I am about to RMA it, and get an MSI.

Regs
06-06-2004, 10:37 PM
Xero, you have to make sure the hard drive with your OS is on master. Set by jumpers. And also check under -boot- in the bios to make sure it's primary.

XeroXed
06-06-2004, 11:08 PM
I will try that once I fix the other problem, anyone know what is wrong there? Is it a video card problem or a motherboard problem? Both are brand new so I'm wondering why a problem like this might happen right away.

Edit: I looked at the jumper settings on my hard drive, and on maxtor's website it shows 2 jumpers, but for some reason my hard drive only has 1 jumper in the top right corner (one on the far left is missing). Any suggestions?

Algere
06-07-2004, 04:55 AM
Originally posted by: spikey
Questions... So many questions...

1. Altho this ram is one of the suggested ones mentioned on Asus for the K8V, Im thinking there will be little room for OC'ing it. In fact, Im such a noob I thought pc3200 was the fastest until reading here. So will this be a limiting factor?

So "what" is the best OCable ram for this board- Ive seen lots of them mentioned.... Now I dont want to go crazy here- just be able to bump up the ram timings a bit (did I say that right?)...

2. Im not going to be set up for SATA, or RAID, or JBOD- just a single 80 gig drive I may split in to 2 40's. If I ever DO decide to purchase a sata hard-drive, and already have my OS on the Maxtor ide drive, is this a problem-? will I have to re-install anything if a add a sata drive later? How do I do the F6 thing, if XP Home is already installed? I see that there are 2 seperate controllers- and in order to load them you have to hit F6 while doing an XP install- and then load drivers from the floppy. So where are these promise drivers? And, just what are the advantages of running sata in the first place over ide? Is there a increase in gaming gained by using sata drives?

3. Bios- Im pretty sure (not certain) that when this board (K8V-se-deluxe)arrives it will need a bios update. The Asus site mentions using AFUDOS207.zip for flashing, and the latest bios for the board I have, is K8sedx03.zip- correct?

Is there anything else I need to have, software wise- for the installation of this board?

Thanks to all for being so helpful, and greetings from Texas.

Mike

1. Yes and it depends on how far you wanna OC.

2. You can use a program to make a mirror copy of the data on your present PATA drive and AFAIK I assume if you can install the Promise or VIA SATA controller drivers onto your present PATA drive you won't need to hit F6 nor need to install windows, assuming you make a mirror image of your current drive and copy it to a supposed future SATA drive.

The drivers for the SATA controllers can be found @ ASUS's site and there really isn't any tangible performance difference between PATA and SATA. The only advantages to date from using SATA over PATA are as followed..

1) Thinner drive cables
2) Lower Power Consumption
3) No Master/Slave jumpers to configure.

3. Personally I use ASUS Update to flash the BIOS in windows &amp; finally everything else you'll need(software-wise) can be found on the installation/setup disc included with the motherboard. Updated files and such can be found on ASUS's site as well.

Algere
06-07-2004, 05:09 AM
Originally posted by: XeroXed
Hey, first time at the forums and I'm glad that I found this.

Just when I might have the first problem figured out, something else happens. After two boots today, the monitor isn't being recognized by the computer. All I get is a "Check Cables" screen, I tried the monitor on a different computer and it works like a champ however.

You'll need to configure your BIOS first for your SATA drive if you haven't done so already and during windows installation you'll have to hit "F6" when prompted while having on hand drivers for your VIA or Promise SATA controllers on a floppy disk.

AFAIK your "check cables" message may have something to do with the power cable not being connected to your X800.

Algere
06-07-2004, 05:18 AM
Originally posted by: spikey
Hummm,

Well I hope I didnt ask the wrong questions here... ;)

I have looked at the reviews, and the ones I have seen so far show the K8V as one of the higher rated mobo's... Strange, since it has caused so many people here problems... I guess I'll just have to wait an see for myself... I did order some copper heat spreaders for the ram , and will be using a Venus-12 for cooling the cpu... If I cant overclock this cpu/board much, at least it will be cool!

For the most part this thread, the K8V (SE/Deluxe) thread is a help/assist thread so you can assume that the only posts posted here are from folks who have encountered problems with this board and does not represent the experiences of all K8V (SE/Deluxe) system builders.

XeroXed
06-07-2004, 03:26 PM
Thanks Algere, but I don't think that the power cable is the problem because the fan on the x800 spins up to speed when I boot the computer. Also this message occured only after I booted 20 or so times, and without touching any of the hardware.

And for configuring the BIOS for my SATA drive, how would I go about doing that because I think that I have already done that.

Algere
06-07-2004, 03:41 PM
Is OnChip SATA Boot Rom(VIA controller) or Onboard IDE Operate Mode(Promise controller) enabled in the BIOS?

XeroXed
06-07-2004, 04:34 PM
From my memory, I think that's my mistake, both are enabled. But, I still have my other problem with the video card(or motherboard) that doesn't show anything on the screen. Which is why I need to fix that problem first.

KiLLaBEEz
06-08-2004, 02:25 AM
Under the device manager under ports, Com1, Com2 are ok. Yet there are Com3, and Com4 with the yellow sign indicating problem. What are these for and how can I disable them completely? I tried to uninstall them by right clicking them, but when windows starts, they install themselves again.

Algere
06-08-2004, 04:38 AM
You can turn off Com1 &amp; 2 in the BIOS by disabling Serial Port1 Address &amp; Serial Port2 Address if it's not needed &amp; that may in turn also disable Com3 &amp; 4.

AFAIK the K8V only has 2 physical Com ports.

Algere
06-08-2004, 04:42 AM
From my memory, I think that's my mistake, both are enabled. But, I still have my other problem with the video card(or motherboard) that doesn't show anything on the screen. Which is why I need to fix that problem first.

Have you tried clearing the CMOS? Trying again with a default BIOS setting so to speak.

XeroXed
06-08-2004, 04:44 PM
Just reset the CMOS, no go. Which components do you think that I should RMA?

janagan
06-08-2004, 07:50 PM
First of all Hello to all the friendly people advising here :)

Now here is my setup
480W Tagan TG480-U01
AMD Athlon 64 3200
Asus K8V (Athlon64) S754
Elixir 552MB pc3200 * 2
160Gb Western Digital Caviar SE
Hercules 64Mb GeForce 4500 Kyro II

Fitted all the components as per maunals
Booted up ... created a sata driver disk and installed at win xp (sp1) setup
Windows installation ok.
Loaded up the motherboard cd and installed the 1st two things (i think raid and sound drivers)
Clicked on the 3rd option to install (the gigabyte lan)..nothing happened....clicked again ....system rebooted automatically
booted up fine next time went in to check if the sound drivers were ok...system restart..
Now i realised my system is restarting at random timings. (mostly in the first 5-10 mins)

Can some one shed some light on this issue?
To make it easier here are the list of things i have already tried
1, took ram off and got some samsung ram from mates pc...still random restarts.
2, All the bios settings are set to auto
3, Tried my Geforce 3 ultra from another pc... same random restarts
4, Went in to bios hardware monitor cpu is at 45c....while watching this at 45c the system actually rebooted. Even opened up the case and blow a fan right in to it cpu temp went down to 40 mb 30 something and still rebooted

Please help :(

I also need help on another problem, i use a Coolermaster Praetorian PAC-T01E1, and the back chasis fan's power cable to the motherboard is not long enough as for some reason this motherboard has the connector at the front end. Is there extensions for this cable available or is there any other way to get some power for my back chassis fan?

Sent the board back, and i am now a proud owner of a K8T Neo-FIS2R
This board rocks its got so much more than the Asus and worked first time

I recommend everyone to get a msi board if you have a chance

KiLLaBEEz
06-08-2004, 08:37 PM
i believe he was referring for me to reset CMOS.

XeroXed
06-09-2004, 05:22 PM
Ok, I am getting a "System Failed CPU Test" message. I have reassembled the whole computer, and I still get the same message. Do you think that my motherboard is messed up, or something with the CPU is the problem?

K8V SE Deluxe, AMD 64 3200+

Algere
06-09-2004, 06:17 PM
Had that b4, cleared CMOS to fix it.

fbrdphreak
06-09-2004, 06:45 PM
Hey all, there's a really nice article on Tom's Hardware Guide that takes a bunch of diff brands of memory and puts it into Athlon 64 mobos. Including the K8V!! Check it out here:
http://www.tomshardware.com/motherboard/20040602/index.html

XeroXed
06-09-2004, 08:29 PM
Algere, who were you talking to about the CMOS reseting?

Algere
06-10-2004, 04:40 AM
Initially you but if it helps anyone else why not. ;)

XeroXed
06-10-2004, 01:26 PM
Do you think it would help with my System Failed CPU Test message? (reseting CMOS)

Algere
06-10-2004, 01:30 PM
Wouldn't hurt to try.

XeroXed
06-11-2004, 01:26 PM
So, I would just move the jumper to the clear CMOS position, and then....

Algere
06-11-2004, 02:14 PM
1)restart computer

2)run it a few seconds under the clear CMOS position

3)shutdown

4)move the jumper back to it's regular/normal position

5)turn computer back on

XeroXed
06-11-2004, 04:22 PM
Well that didn't work, but thanks. I am just going to RMA the hardware, now do what do you think I should RMA? The motherboard, the cpu, both?

Algere
06-11-2004, 06:03 PM
Seeing that you can't determine which is @ fault; motherboard, processor, or maybe something else altogether I'd say RMA both. Wouldn't want to just RMA the processor and then later finding out the mobo was @ fault or vice versa.

b4 RMA'ing I'm curious &amp; this may or may not be related to your predicament but are both memory sticks installed onto DIMM slots 1 &amp; 3(middle DIMM slot empty)?

imported_NegativeEntropy
06-12-2004, 10:51 AM
Just a heads up:

Like DeanHeart on page 20 or so of this thread, Cool n Quiet was not working on my K8V SE Deluxe. I have a CG core 3000+ (Newcastle). The 1003 Bios update fixed it for me, now it works just like it's supposed to.

The only problem I now have with this board (using it on an HTPC) is that windows 2000 will not install on an older belkin PS/2 keyboard -- oddest win2k error I've seen. If I use a different one (coincidentally, a Microsoft), it works as it always has for me.

A bit of trivia: A few of us have wondered if Cool n Quiet and Overclocking work well together. While I have only tried 205 MHz, C n Q continues to work, lowering the multiplier/voltage as though everything were normal. Haven't tried the meager voltage adjustment available (it's an HTPC, so quiet is my primary goal, given a sufficient level of performance).

XeroXed
06-12-2004, 04:30 PM
Algere, I've tried both slots for my two RAM cards, 1 and 2; 1 and 3. I'lll call ASUS and AMD tonight, and RMA if they can't find a fix.

XeroXed
06-12-2004, 04:37 PM
Sorry, double post.

tsar21
06-12-2004, 09:16 PM
i have the A8V Deluxe (939) and a amd 64 3500 my mobo dose not recognise the hardrive(wd 74.6 raptor) i made the boot disk so when windows starts you press f6.when it starts to run the driver it says D:\xpclient\base\boot\setup\oemdisk.c. please help:
thanks

Algere
06-13-2004, 12:12 AM
You'll need SATA controller drivers on floppy disk for the controller that the Raptor is connected to and not the former.

XeroXed
06-13-2004, 03:56 PM
So, for installing Windows XP Pro on one SATA hard drive, I need to make the appropriate drivers for either the Onboard or Promise on a floppy disk and push F6 during installation? Where are these drivers at on the ASUS cd, and how are the drivers made?

Algere
06-14-2004, 09:52 AM
So, for installing Windows XP Pro on one SATA hard drive, I need to make the appropriate drivers for either the Onboard or Promise on a floppy disk and push F6 during installation?
Yes, if your installing Windows onto a SATA hard drive.

Where are these drivers at on the ASUS cd, and how are the drivers made?
Don't remember where on the disc it's located but I'd rather use the updated drivers from ASUS's website &amp; instructions on how to create the floppy driver disk is described within the driver package itself.

XeroXed
06-14-2004, 03:39 PM
Ok, the CD and ASUS' website both have the same drivers. Do I copy the whole file to the floppy drive, or just the WinXP folder?

Also, what is the MakeDisk.exe for?

Algere
06-14-2004, 03:59 PM
Makedisk.exe is a small program that creates/copies the drivers onto a floppy diskette.

XeroXed
06-14-2004, 05:20 PM
So run makedisk and I will be fine? It copies everything in the folder to the floppy, including drivers for all the other OS. Will this not allow Windows XP Pro to recognize the drivers?

Algere
06-14-2004, 07:25 PM
So run makedisk and I will be fine? It copies everything in the folder to the floppy, including drivers for all the other OS. Will this not allow Windows XP Pro to recognize the drivers?

Yes

calam63
06-15-2004, 02:54 AM
i am thinking of getting this board (k8v se deluxe skt 754) for a mobile atlon 64 - do you guys recommend it at all?

ijuok
06-15-2004, 05:11 AM
Hey guys well i have some problems with my rig.
Amd64 3200+
asus K8V SE DELUXE mobo
512x2 ddr 400 of mushkin or whatever ram
80 gig WD 8mb cache 7200 rpm hard drive master on primary
antec true power 480 watt psu
ati radeon 9600 xt 128 mb
some random case
48x24x48x16x dvd/cd-rw drive as master on secondary
ok.
So this is what i have done, After installing everything (OS ETC)
I updated all the drivers on the net
flashed my bios to 1003
I disabled the logo for the bios , disabled promise,sata raid, enabled quick boot
but this is what i get
So after that i restart my computer
hear the post beep. after the beep it shows the main bios screen with all your computer stats
thats ok, buttt the part that pisses me off is that it goes and takes forever it says "scanning for ide drives or something like that" and finds all my drives that allone takes about 30secs-1 minute. after that. it boots into this black screen and just hangs for a minute a good solid 30seconds to a minute again. Its very irritating i've messed around with my bios settings so much and i can't seem to figure out the problems. I have updated all my hardware to the newest versions. I really don't understand so if anyone could help me on this that would be great.

nadlad786
06-15-2004, 06:02 AM
ave recently built my pc as u know u guided me through it remeber howevere on the asus k8v mobo the usb are 2.0 arent they anyway i have plugged my ipod into one via usb and it says dangeru are tryign to connect a high speed device to a low speed device and subsequently it takes forever loading the dam ipod.

i then use my mobo disc to try and install usb 2.0 drivers but i get a error saying "You must install windows xp sp1 pack" in order to install this..........i then went to the microstf website and downloaded the right service pack, once i ran this it aborted halfway through sdayign that my windows serial is invalid......am stuck need your help

JetBlack69
06-18-2004, 01:27 AM
Originally posted by: ijuok
80 gig WD 8mb cache 7200 rpm hard drive master on primary

Is that the only drive on the IDE chain? Like, is there a slave drive as well? If there isn't a slave drive as well, remove the jumper. WD drives are known to have problems when the jumper setting is set to master and they are the only drive on the ide chain.

I read your post before reading your specs and I just guessed that you had a western digital hard drive.

JetBlack69
06-18-2004, 01:28 AM
Originally posted by: nadlad786
ave recently built my pc as u know u guided me through it remeber howevere on the asus k8v mobo the usb are 2.0 arent they anyway i have plugged my ipod into one via usb and it says dangeru are tryign to connect a high speed device to a low speed device and subsequently it takes forever loading the dam ipod.

i then use my mobo disc to try and install usb 2.0 drivers but i get a error saying "You must install windows xp sp1 pack" in order to install this..........i then went to the microstf website and downloaded the right service pack, once i ran this it aborted halfway through sdayign that my windows serial is invalid......am stuck need your help

Well....is your window serial valid?

Flawless
06-18-2004, 04:36 PM
Has anyone tried using the new Corsair 3200XLPRO twin package(1gb) with the 2 2 2 timings?

theohiostate
06-18-2004, 06:39 PM
bannerwitcoff

What did you mean when you said Cool and Quiet worked for you when you got the instructions in the BIOS set correctly?

I feel I have followed all of the instructions provided by ASUS to get CnQ to work, and it does not.

I have not upgraded the BIOS yet. Is that what you meant? What version of the BIOS are you using?
And did you download it from the K8V se Deluxe page at ASUS?

please email me if anyone knows if there is something special extra i have to do.
muehl.1@osu.edu

systems specs
athlon 64 3000+ (retail, with retail fan and heat sync)
Kingston 512MB DDR400 RAM
ATI 9600XT
160 Gig Samsung SATA Hard Drive
Lite On 8x DVD Burner
XP SP 1

AmeenR
06-19-2004, 03:55 PM
Hey guys!

Dont fear the K8V Deluxe! I just assembled my new system and it went together perfectly!! This was with some very crappy ram i found, just to get her up and running. Dont forget to make a driver disk if you are installing a sata HD!!!

imported_jkd301
06-20-2004, 04:40 AM
I had been using a K8V Deluxe for a few months with a AMD 3400+ processor and 1 Gig PC3200 Corsair. When I first built the system I noticed the slots for the Ram had a very tight fit. I purchased another 512 mb of the same mem from newegg plugged it in made sure of the fit turned the machine on and "POOOF" got a nice whit puff of smoke from the 3rd ram slot. Shut it down as fast as I could took out the new chip tried to reboot the machine and of corse it didnt reboot. I checked the ram stick in another computer I have along with all the rest and they all work. There are two small burn marks on the third dimm slot one at the top and one in the middle (real small spots) I cant check the processor as I dont have another AMD mobo yet. Of corse ASUS will not honor the warantee as there are burn marks on the slot, I really dont think I am to blame but what can you do lol. Before this I had a ASUS P4PE mobo with a P4 processor that gave me fits with boot trouble, I will probably go with another brand. As for ASUS I can say when they work they work great.

----------------------------------
Pent 4 3.2
Abit MOBO
1 gig Corsair PC3500
Nvidia 5950 xt
2x Seagate 120 Gig HD's
2x Maddog Media CD/DVD/RW
In my old alienware case
Waiting on my new MOBO from newegg

Dart84
06-22-2004, 08:39 PM
Hello all...

I just recently bought the k8v SE Deluxe board through an acoomidationd from where I work. I have been having some issues formatting the hard drive to work. During set up I get an error msg that a tech number has told me was my RAM.

My question is does any one know if the mushkin pc3200 special 2-2-2 RAM will work with the system. I know its not on the listed supported ram, but I am curious if it might be something else before I drop money on new ram, expessialy since I just got this ram. Any ways I amanged to get though setting up windows but the system just keeps rebooting.

Anyways of the RAM that asus recommends is there a specific kind that you guys would recommend?

Jcp219
06-24-2004, 05:59 PM
JKD301, The reason your MB Poofed was because it only supports 2 sticks of PC3200.
Dart84, So You got the accommadation as well, comgrats. About the RAM, someone listed earlier that the Muskin 2-2-2 is highly recommended for A64 systems, but for max stability you should run it with 2-3-2 timings.

I didn't see it mentioned anywhere so far, but does anyone know how well 2x-Kingston HyperX PC3500 would run in the SE version of this MoBo? Any different timings on these sticks?

Thx.

fbrdphreak
06-24-2004, 11:03 PM
Jcp, check the link in my previous message. I don't think they used Kingston PC-3500 in the test, but I think they used PC-4000 and it worked well. I may be taking advantage of an accomodation program if I can get my buddy to buy my current setup, and I will be putting in 2x512MB Kingston HyperX PC-4000. Hope this helps

Wynner3
06-25-2004, 04:34 AM
*****************////////////////////////////////
****HELP****

I did a test and found out that my Asus K8V bios was out of date. I followed the manual to the "T" and when I was trying to flash the bios, it said flash failed then shut down. Now the thing will not power up and I am scared. It's a brand new motherboard and I can't afford to send another computer part back. Someone please help. The computer specs are in my signature. I tried to upgrade it to version 1003 and I have/had 1001. Is there anything I can do? Ahhhh.......

Algere
06-25-2004, 04:47 AM
Have you tried this (http://www.asus.com.tw/support/english/techref/mbfeatures/cfbios2.aspx) yet?

Jcp219
06-25-2004, 01:59 PM
fbrdphreak, Thanks, that link was very comforting :-)

Does anyone know what the latest Beta BIOS (1004.1) for the K8V SE Deluxe has different?

Thanks.

Wynner3
06-25-2004, 02:37 PM
yes I have and it doesn't work. Even though the drives rev up, nothing gets read or loaded. I tried clearing the cmos and that did nothing either. This thing is really working against me. I have taken everything out and reseated them, reset, turned off and back on again, unplugged drives, replugged them in, etc... Nothing is working, I am beginning to think that I will have to send it back but I have already sent back two products and it has cost a lot of money.

Algere
06-25-2004, 07:00 PM
Have you tried contacting ASUS about the problem?

Maybe they can send ya a replacement BIOS chip.

MrCodeDude
06-25-2004, 08:16 PM
I don't feel like going through 500 messages/posts but has the USB Keyboard/Mouse thing been fixed yet?

Bad Dude
06-26-2004, 05:33 AM
Why is that the Athlon 64 boards can only take 2 sticks of double sided RAM? Pretty bad compare to my Intel i875 with 4 sticks of double sided RAM.

Bad Dude
06-26-2004, 04:42 PM
Originally posted by: AyashiKaibutsu
I'm planning on building a new computer and this threads making me nervous. Ok so here are the specs:

WD 200GB Ide drive (already own)

Plextor Black 8X DVD-RW/+RW Drive, Model PX-708A/SW-BL

SAMSUNG SFD321B/LBL1 Black 1.44MB 3.5inch Floppy Disk Drive

Western Digital Raptor 74GB 10,000RPM SATA Hard Drive, Model WD740GD

3x Kingmax 184 Pin 512MB DDR PC-3200, Cas Latency 2.5

Asus K8T800 Chipset Motherboard for AMD Socket 754 CPU, Model "K8V Deluxe"

ENERMAX EG651P-VE(FMA). 550W Power supply

AMD Athlon 64 3400+ stock heatsink/fan

Creative Labs Sound Blaster Audigy2 ZS GAMER Limited Edition PCI Sound Card

POWERCOM Black Knight Pro 5 Outlets 1500Va Line Interactive UPS, Model "BNT-1500AP"

ASUS RADEON 9800XT Video Card, 256MB DDR, 256-bit, DVI/VIVO, 8X AGP, Model "9800XT/TVD"

With this motherboard will these parts work good?

Hey dude,
It looks like you are putting 3 sticks of double sided RAM onto this motherboard. I don't think that will work. This board only allows max 2 sticks of double sided RAM.

paladinzerotwo
06-26-2004, 10:16 PM
Hi all,

I have been looking at buying an Athlon 64 m/b for a while now, and my head hurts!

Be that as it may, and as much as I like the look of the nforce3 250gb chipset, I am looking seriously at the K8V SE Deluxe. The problem is that I won't be doing much o/clocking and so I want fast RAM "out of the box". I am looking at the Corsair Twinx 1024 PC3200 3200XL, which is meant to handle 2-2-2-5.

My main question is :

1) will the ASUS handle that memory with those tight timings - anyone have any definite information?

BTW - anyone have recommendations for or against the nforce3 m/boards?

thanks all

Dave

spyblog
06-27-2004, 12:38 AM
Ok well I still haven't decided whether to go with MSI or Asus. I bought the K8V SE Deluxe but this thread has scared me. I have Kingsto Hyper-X PC3200 on order and have about 1-2 days to cancel so I need to know if this RAM is going to be good for the mobo.

Bad Dude
06-27-2004, 01:38 AM
OK guys. There's nothing wrong with the board I got. No trouble at all.
Basically, I got the Asus K8V SE Deluxe.
My system specs:
-Antec True Power 430W
-Athlon64 3200+
-2X512MB HyperX PC3000, I put the RAM sticks on DIMM 1 and DIMM2.
-Two Hitachi 200GB on RAID 0, ATA 100.
-One 200GB WD.
-Soundblast Audigy 2.
-Radeon 9800 Pro.
-Hauppauge WinTV 401.
-Silicon Image RAID controller.
-NEC 2500A DVDRW drive.
-1.44 Floppy.

I had absolutely no problem booting up. I just change my setup from the Intel P4C 3Ghz with Asus P4C800 Deluxe.
The only problem that I had was to update the BIOS and it booted up with a blank black screen. So I reset the BIOS using the jumper.
If you guys need any help feel free to email me.

Now the down side of this board is, it has only two RPM monitor for CPU and chasis. Where as my P4C800 Deluxe had a 3rd Power supply fan monitor. Though the board does have the header for the 3rd fan monitor but it does not do anything.
If you are overclocking there's no AGP/PCI lock. But I got my system to run at 210 FSB.

Good luck all.

Yakuzing
06-27-2004, 06:35 PM
I'm havbing problems with my board :(

its my ram .... you can see my specs down under.. no matter what slots I put the 2 ram blocks in, it simply wont start with 2 of them in.. im running with 1 now, and have switched them around so I know its not the ram... when I have them both in, everything starts... but the monitor is just BLACK.
Anyone know anything then tell me thanks.

oh yeah.. also, im having strange problems updating bios... but now when I look in cpu-z it says the version I tried to update too strange :/.. cause it said failed and stuff..

Bad Dude
06-27-2004, 07:31 PM
Originally posted by: Yakuzing
I'm havbing problems with my board :(

its my ram .... you can see my specs down under.. no matter what slots I put the 2 ram blocks in, it simply wont start with 2 of them in.. im running with 1 now, and have switched them around so I know its not the ram... when I have them both in, everything starts... but the monitor is just BLACK.
Anyone know anything then tell me thanks.

oh yeah.. also, im having strange problems updating bios... but now when I look in cpu-z it says the version I tried to update too strange :/.. cause it said failed and stuff..

I am not sure why your board is doing that but I have the K8V SE Deluxe. They might have fixed the problem.
But the RAM sticks should be in 1&amp;2 or 1&amp;3.

Bad Dude
06-27-2004, 08:47 PM
Something to enlighten our overclocking adventure. Here's a quote from Hardocp.com:

Since testing, VIA has been kind enough to give us some facts that surround OCing their K8T800 chipset. The AGP, CPU and HyperTransport busses are locked, or rather figured in direct relationship to one another. The CPU/HT bus is 3X the AGP bus. Example:

AGP (66.3MHz) X 3 = CPU/HT(200MHz)

Keep in mind that the HT can be run at 1X, 2X, 3X, or 4X of the CPU bus.

So, every MHz you raise the CPU bus by, it raises the AGP bus by 1/3MHz. So:

210MHz CPU bus = 70MHz AGP busThe PCI bus is totally independent of all of this and is fixed at 33MHz.

Obviously this is going to hinder OCing with any video card that has a sensitive AGP bus rate, like many of the newer cards do now days. VIA did explain that they were working on this. It is worth mentioning that the nForce3 chipset does not have this issue. But there is also another side to this as well. From the very limited amount of 754-pin Athlon64 CPUs that we have seen, it does not seem to be much of a difference on the enthusiast front, as they seem to be the limiting OCing factor. We surely hope to see this change.

So this would means that the overclocking success has to do with the AGP bus speed that the video card can handle. The PCI is fixed at 33Mhz. So it's the AGP bus that is not fixed but the PCI is.