PDA

View Full Version : At what fever temp do you go to the ER?

GTaudiophile
12-09-2007, 10:24 PM
I have had something weird going on with me since Thursday.

I have a fever, somewhat productive cough (w/ yellowish mucus), minor sore throat (on left side) and minor ear ache (also on left side), and occasional chills.

Throughout the weekend my fever has been between 99.7 and 102.6 (the later temp taken after getting under down comforter with heat cranked on in apartment). My temp is closer to 101 right now. All digestive/urinary functions are normal. Appetite is so-so but I am eating fine.

So when do you go to the ER?

My plan, if feeling the same in the morning, is to try to make a same-day appointment with my GP.

moshquerade
12-09-2007, 10:26 PM
Originally posted by: GTaudiophile

I have a fever, somewhat productive cough (w/ yellowish mucus), minor soar throat (on left side) and minor ear ache (also on left side), and occasional chills.

Throughout the weekend my fever has been between 99.7 and 102.6 (the later temp taken after getting under down comforter with heat cranked on in apartment). My temp is closer to 101 right now. All digestive/urinary functions are normal. Appetite is so-so but I am eating fine.

So when do you go the ER?

My plan, if feeling the same in the morning, is to try to make a same-day appointment with my GP.

fevers tend to spike at night. have you taken any tylenol?

GTaudiophile
12-09-2007, 10:27 PM
Originally posted by: moshquerade

I have a fever, somewhat productive cough (w/ yellowish mucus), minor soar throat (on left side) and minor ear ache (also on left side), and occasional chills.

Yes, Tylenol Cold Multi-Symptom.

But not at the moment as I am on Mucinex DM. I dunno if I should take Tylenol on top of that.

jagec
12-09-2007, 10:27 PM
*sore.

I'd do as you are doing: make a regular appointment with your GP. Given that your other symptoms aren't too bad and you're able to post on AT, I don't think it qualifies as an emergency.

GTaudiophile
12-09-2007, 10:30 PM
Originally posted by: jagec
*sore.

I'd do as you are doing: make a regular appointment with your GP. Given that your other symptoms aren't too bad and you're able to post on AT, I don't think it qualifies as an emergency.

;)

I should also add that I have been high on my water/OJ/vitamin intake. I try to self-medicate as best as I can, but when things last four days...

Mind you I am better now than Friday, but I need to be 100% this week. Wayyyy toooo much stuff going at work/personal life to be bed-ridden. I need powerful drugs to zap this ASAP!

BigJ
12-09-2007, 10:30 PM
103.5 and above.

The only times I get a fever when I'm sick is when I get strep throat. My fever never reaches past 103.0. If it goes above that, something is (and has) been seriously wrong.

moshquerade
12-09-2007, 10:31 PM

But not at the moment as I am on Mucinex DM. I dunno if I should take Tylenol on top of that.

Does the Tylenol Cold Multi-Symptom have tylenol in it?

I agree with jagec. Get some rest and call your GP in the morning for an appt.

ElFenix
12-09-2007, 10:32 PM

take aspirin. tylenol is weaksauce.

GTaudiophile
12-09-2007, 10:34 PM

LOL. "Tylenol" is not listed as an active ingredient.

Q
12-09-2007, 10:35 PM
101-102 is no ER worthy, go to doctor

Tiamat
12-09-2007, 10:35 PM
I would schedule a normal doctor's appt at 100-101. If you exceed 103, thats ER time.

Remember to drink plenty of fluids, I just got over a cold, and its amazing how much fluids you sweat out during the fever at night.

Tylenol = acetaminophen.

George P Burdell
12-09-2007, 10:38 PM
Originally posted by: BigJ
103.5 and above.

The only times I get a fever when I'm sick is when I get strep throat. My fever never reaches past 103.0. If it goes above that, something is (and has) been seriously wrong.

Agreed. Even if your fever spikes above 103, it shouldn't stay there for more than an hour or two. If it stays above 103 for a while... no joy.

GTaudiophile
12-09-2007, 10:39 PM
Originally posted by: Tiamat
I would schedule a normal doctor's appt at 100-101. If you exceed 103, thats ER time.

Remember to drink plenty of fluids, I just got over a cold, and its amazing how much fluids you sweat out during the fever at night.

Tylenol = acetaminophen.

Okay, that is in it.

IronWing
12-09-2007, 10:40 PM
Age is also a factor. The older you are, the lower the temp at which you should worry.

mobobuff
12-09-2007, 10:43 PM
Originally posted by: ElFenix

But unfortunately some people, me included, have terrible reactions to aspirin. Basically my stomach evacuates itself with 2 hours of projectile vomiting, and then another hour of waterbrash and dry heaving.

I've always heard a temperature of 104 or higher means you should get to a hospital.

GTaudiophile
12-09-2007, 10:50 PM
Originally posted by: ironwing
Age is also a factor. The older you are, the lower the temp at which you should worry.

Am 27.

Anyway, thank you all.

I am going to try once again to get to sleep!

Iron Woode
12-09-2007, 10:51 PM

I have a fever, somewhat productive cough (w/ yellowish mucus), minor sore throat (on left side) and minor ear ache (also on left side), and occasional chills.

the ear ache is probably caused by sinus congestion. Sounds like you have a cold, probably a chest cold.

did you get your tonsils removed?

OrganizedChaos
12-09-2007, 10:52 PM
I myself wouldn't go for anything under 106 but i hate hospitals

Xonoahbin
12-09-2007, 10:56 PM
I'd say 104+. I was at like 104.5 a few years back.. should've been to the ER but wasn't. Had a hell of a bout with the flu. Don't worry about 101.

BooGiMaN
12-09-2007, 10:58 PM
its safe to say that if your limbs start to ignite a visit to the ER would be recommended

ElFenix
12-09-2007, 10:59 PM
Originally posted by: mobobuff
Originally posted by: ElFenix

But unfortunately some people, me included, have terrible reactions to aspirin. Basically my stomach evacuates itself with 2 hours of projectile vomiting, and then another hour of waterbrash and dry heaving.

I've always heard a temperature of 104 or higher means you should get to a hospital.

well in your case ibuprofen or ketoprofen or something else. if all you can take is tylenol then by all means, take tylenol (the rapid release ones with the laser etching are awesome for regular headaches).

chusteczka
12-09-2007, 11:01 PM
Proteins denature (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Denaturation_(biochemistry)) at 40C, which is 104F. Therefore, like BigJ mentioned above, action needs to be taken at 103.5F or before. Such action does not require the emergency room. All that is needed is to reduce body temperature to prevent any permanent damage to the body's proteins. Going outside in the winter, taking a cold shower, or even an ice bath are each effective methods of cooling off the body.

It is helpful to drink hot tea with honey and lemon. The heat and tanic acid in the tea help to break up the phlegm in the throat and nasal passages. The honey adds vitamins and soothes the throat. The lemon adds vitamin C. This is a very useful, natural remedy without the need for modern medicine.

Adding a little apple vinegar to a humidifier/vaporizer helps introduce acid into the nasal passages through breathing while sleeping. This food based, airborne acid helps kill bacteria and other germs while breaking up the phlegm in the nasal passages and lungs. This is most useful in the bedroom when sleeping. About 1/2 a cup vinegar to two gallons water is good.

I have an older, distant relative whose brain fried from long exposure to a high fever when he was a child. This occurred about 60-70 years ago. His mental development ceased at that age level. Ever since, he has been unable to speak properly and maintains the mindset of a child. Although he does recognize people, communicate reliably within his vocal range, and can understand on some level what is communicated to him. He is also very friendly and fun.

EDIT:
Grammar check, and added vaporizer and vinegar proportions.

BoomerD
12-09-2007, 11:03 PM
Don't now which Tylenol Multi-Symptom product you used. but here's a list of ingredients from their website for the day/nigh packt:

Daytime Ingredients

Active Ingredient: Acetaminophen
Purpose: Pain reliever/fever reducer

Active Ingredient: Dextromethorphan HBr
Purpose: Cough suppressant

Active Ingredient: Phenylephrine HCl
Purpose: Nasal decongestant

Nighttime Ingredients

Active Ingredient: Acetaminophen
Purpose: Pain reliever/fever reducer

Active Ingredient: Chlorpheniramine maleate
Purpose: Antihistamine

Active Ingredient: Dextromethorphan HBr
Purpose: Cough suppressant

Active Ingredient: Phenylephrine HCl
Purpose: Nasal decongestant

FYI, acetaminophen IS Tylenol...:roll:

Personally, I won't go to the doc unless I can't get/keep the fever below 104...

Aspirin is not recommended for people under 18-21 who may have the flu:

http://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/disease.htm
"Do Not Give Aspirin To a Child or Teenager Who Has the Flu
Never give aspirin to children or teenagers who have flu-like symptoms ? and particularly fever ? without first speaking to your doctor. Giving aspirin to children and teenagers who have influenza can be associated with a rare but serious illness called Reye syndrome. Children or teenagers with the flu should get plenty of rest, drink lots of liquids, and take medicines that contain no aspirin to relieve symptoms."

http://www.masterjules.net/aspirinflu.htm

skyking
12-10-2007, 12:45 AM
I concur with the 103.5 recommendation, if fever alone is the deciding factor. That was the mark my mom and sister mentioned, and both are RNs with my sister in the ER trade for 30 years now.
I've never had a bug that did not get killed by about 103.1:)

BoomerD
12-10-2007, 12:49 AM
Originally posted by: skyking
I concur with the 103.5 recommendation, if fever alone is the deciding factor. That was the mark my mom and sister mentioned, and both are RNs with my sister in the ER trade for 30 years now.I've never had a bug that did not get killed by about 103.1:)

WHAT? you'd go with knowledge and experience over ATOT recommendations??

BAN!

;)

Sentrosi2121
12-10-2007, 01:50 AM
Originally posted by: chusteczka
Adding a little apple vinegar to a humidifier helps introduce acid into the nasal passages through breathing while sleeping. This food based, airborne acid helps kill bacteria and other germs while breaking up the phlegm in the nasal passages and lungs. This is most useful in the bedroom when sleeping.

I never thought about adding apple vinegar to a humidifier. Have a 3 year old that will, more than likely, bring home little germey friends with her from day care. And she usually has a nasty cough at night, so we put on the humidifier w/ some Vicks in the little humidifier heating area. I'll have to remember to try this next time.

Thanks Chusteczka!

Kaervak
12-10-2007, 01:57 AM
As others have said 103.5F is when you should get to a hospital. Also, drink plenty of fluids. For every 1 degree increase in body temp, an additional 200ml of fluids are lost. Stay hydrated.

gururu2
12-10-2007, 02:21 AM
if u are in a college dormitory or around lots of other students, make sure you compare your systems to those of meningococcal meningitis.
http://www.clarion.edu/healthcenter/men_faqs.htm#5
"The early symptoms usually associated with meningococcal meningitis include high fever, severe headache, stiff neck, rash, nausea, vomiting and lethargy, and may resemble the flu. Because the disease progresses rapidly, often in as little as 12 hours, prompt diagnosis and treatment are important to assuring recovery."

make sure you have someone aware of your situation to to check up on ya.

Colt45
12-10-2007, 02:23 AM
Drink half a gallon of water, take a snort of nyquil, and sleep a full 24h.

thegimp03
12-10-2007, 02:26 AM
I went to the ER with a 105 about 12-13 years ago. I haven't had that high of a fever since though. I'd say 103+ and you'd better go. You don't want it getting higher than that.

Boo Boo
12-10-2007, 02:54 AM
squirt cold water up your butt and reyhdrate

SirStev0
12-10-2007, 03:50 AM

Depends on how much you are willing to pay for 2 extra strength Tylenol and a couple of tests that won't come back until the morning anyway. Suck it up, slam some NSAIDs, sleep the night, and talk to your family doc in the morning.

SirStev0
12-10-2007, 03:51 AM

LOL. "Tylenol" is not listed as an active ingredient.

Acetametaphan = active ingredient in tylenol... if they have it listed in Tylenol CMS then it contains "tylenol"

dethman
12-10-2007, 05:36 AM
i'm an ER physician. level of fever, unless it's >105, (hyperthermia), has ZERO effect on my management. the only decision made is 'does the patient have a fever.' if so, i start looking for a source. how high it actually is does not correlate to severity of illness, does not correlate with source, and makes no difference in treatment.

a fever of 103.5 may make you feel crappier, but it doesn't make you sicker and you shouldn't use that as a decision point to go to the ER.

you may have a viral throat infection and have a fever of 104. another kid may have a fever of 100.4 and have appendicitis.

of course no one knows this, and i have to explain it to patients at least four or five times a day. and people get mad because they get a fat ER bill and they say all they did was give them tylenol. it's not because we treated you badly, it's because you weren't really very sick.

sorry, just venting. there are so many fever myths out there it's crazy. i have a cold because i've been up the past 3 nights taking care of not sick kids with colds and diarrhea and fevers at 3AM who are sneezing all over me that parents are concerned about but really have nothing but a viral illness.

i suppose that's what i'm there for. :) to serve as educator for the 19 year old with 6 kids running around and giving me a headache.

dethman
12-10-2007, 05:42 AM
i guess i should add what you should go to the ER for.

are you uncertain, scared, or just unsure about what's happening? are you worried about an emergency that can't wait until your doctor's appointment? that's fine.

just don't go in and say 'my fever was 103 yesterday and i wasn't worried, now it's 103.5 and i'm worried becaues ATOT told me to be.' they will be laughing at you behind your back. trust me. :)

BigJ
12-10-2007, 05:45 AM
Originally posted by: dethman

are you uncertain, scared, or just unsure about what's happening? are you worried about an emergency that can't wait until your doctor's appointment? that's fine.

just don't go in and say 'my fever was 103 yesterday and i wasn't worried, now it's 103.5 and i'm worried becaues ATOT told me to be.' they will be laughing at you behind your back. trust me. :)

Give it to me straight Doc. Am I gonna make it? :(

dethman
12-10-2007, 05:45 AM
Originally posted by: BigJ

Give it to me straight Doc. Am I gonna make it? :(

sorry, i'm afraid it's a lost cause. :shocked:

OrganizedChaos
12-10-2007, 06:02 AM
i'm an ER physician. level of fever, unless it's >105, (hyperthermia), has ZERO effect on my management. the only decision made is 'does the patient have a fever.' if so, i start looking for a source. how high it actually is does not correlate to severity of illness, does not correlate with source, and makes no difference in treatment.

a fever of 103.5 may make you feel crappier, but it doesn't make you sicker and you shouldn't use that as a decision point to go to the ER.

you may have a viral throat infection and have a fever of 104. another kid may have a fever of 100.4 and have appendicitis.

of course no one knows this, and i have to explain it to patients at least four or five times a day. and people get mad because they get a fat ER bill and they say all they did was give them tylenol. it's not because we treated you badly, it's because you weren't really very sick.

sorry, just venting. there are so many fever myths out there it's crazy. i have a cold because i've been up the past 3 nights taking care of not sick kids with colds and diarrhea and fevers at 3AM who are sneezing all over me that parents are concerned about but really have nothing but a viral illness.

i suppose that's what i'm there for. :) to serve as educator for the 19 year old with 6 kids running around and giving me a headache.

Just to clarify, is there some temperature where I should be concerned enough to go to the ER? If it goes too high can i give myself a heat stroke?

JAG87
12-10-2007, 11:35 AM
I went to play soccer once with 39.5C of temperature. I think thats right around 103F, sorry I have european thermometers.

Needless to say the next 3 days I was in bed with 41-42C temperatures. Thats like 106-107F. I am not joking, you could have cooked food on my forehead.

That was pretty much the worst fever of my life, and that was ER worthy. But otherwise up to 40C/104F, I stay in bed with a nice cool wet towel on my forehead.