PDA

View Full Version : Well Water: Chlorine to Water Ratio


Dedpuhl
12-07-2007, 06:13 PM
What is the typical mixing ratio of 10.5% Sodium Hypochlorite (bleach) to water for use in a water treatment system for a home. The chlorine tank is 15 gallons.

I've been told 1:2, 1:3 and 1:5.

BoomerD
12-07-2007, 06:19 PM
This is certainly the place I'd come to ask a question like that, rather than the local water company or city water department.


Seriously, without knowing what your water quality, how could we know how much chlorine you need? WHY are you adding chlorine to well water anyway? Is it that polluted?

Edit: Here are a couple of links. It's amazing what you can find with Google the magic search engine...

http://www.gnb.ca/0009/0371/0010/index-e.asp

http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/ewh-sem...er-eau_de_puits_e.html (http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/ewh-semt/water-eau/drink-potab/well_water-eau_de_puits_e.html)

http://www.epa.gov/safewater/privatewells/whatdo.html

http://www.ag.ndsu.edu/pubs/h2oqual/watsys/ae1046w.htm

You can find more here:

http://www.google.com/search?s...chlorine+to+well+water (http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&rlz=1T4GGLG_en___US203&q=adding+chlorine+to+well+water)

Dedpuhl
12-07-2007, 06:27 PM
I figured everyone here was a genius. Why else would they be here on Anandtech?

It was just a question, and I wanted to know before I go to water well supply store tomorrow. It's not a matter of "polluted water" as much as it is to have a chlorine residual in the water (which most plants are required to have) to ward off coliform and other bacteria...

Dedpuhl
12-07-2007, 06:31 PM
Those links tell you how to chlorinate the well itself. I googled before I posted...

schneiderguy
12-07-2007, 06:36 PM
Ideally you'll want a 15:1 chlorine/water ratio.

de8212
12-07-2007, 06:49 PM
Originally posted by: schneiderguy
Ideally you'll want a 15:1 chlorine/water ratio.

Only if you want to die.



Just get a cheap test kit from a pool place and try to get ~1ppm. Actually just adding enough to leave a trace amount will have killed whatever exists in the water (the demand) and then left a bit left over as residual. You really don't want to go over 2 ppm but even that won't kill you. I want to say somewhere around 4 - 5 ppm gets pretty bad if you consume large quantities.

IronWing
12-07-2007, 06:52 PM
If you find you need to chlorinate regularly to kill your water then you need to repair/replace your system. Bacteria don't live very long in a water system so there would have to be an incoming supply of new bacteria if you are having problems.

RapidSnail
12-07-2007, 07:34 PM
Originally posted by: Dedpuhl
I figured everyone here was a genius. Why else would they be here on Anandtech?


That joke is getting really old now.

woodie1
12-07-2007, 07:36 PM
I thought it was 2-3 drops/gallon, but what do I know.

Throckmorton
12-07-2007, 07:37 PM
I'd rather filter the water. It's not 1:2 or 1:10.... I don't know who told you that. Maybe someone who wanted you to die? Like woodie says, it's on the order of drops per gallon.

waggy
12-07-2007, 07:39 PM
wow 1:5 hahahahahha

warlord
12-07-2007, 08:21 PM
Speaking as someone with a chemical engineering degree, and some experience with water treatment plants, de8212 is right on. The residual level is going to be in the 1-2ppm range, and you have to test this at the user end.

You can't really calculate it up front exactly because their may be iron and biological demand that will react with the chlorine nutralizing it, and unless you can measure it where it discharges, you don't know if your chlorine level is above, at, or below the demand level.

If this is for you home, you really shouldn't need to chlorinate your pipes on a continuous basis.

Rubycon
12-07-2007, 08:42 PM
Get a redox meter (ORP) and stay above 650mV if you're sure the water has microbes.

silverpig
12-07-2007, 08:54 PM
Put 1/4 cup of bleach in a glass. Add 1 cup water. Smell.

Does that even seem anywhere close to right?

Capt Caveman
12-07-2007, 08:57 PM
Originally posted by: silverpig
Put 1/4 cup of bleach in a glass. Add 1 cup water. Smell.

Does that even seem anywhere close to right?

If you want to die, yes.

Dedpuhl
12-07-2007, 10:11 PM
Originally posted by: silverpig
Put 1/4 cup of bleach in a glass. Add 1 cup water. Smell.

Does that even seem anywhere close to right?

Keep in mind that the chlorine is stored in a 15 gal tank. Whatever chlorine/water mixture is stored in the tank is further diluted as water is pumped from the well. There are valves that keep the chlorine from free flowing into the softener and heater.

My guess is that the chlorine from the tank is injected in VERY small quantities (after a month and a half, the tank is half full). By the time the water reaches a faucet, the chlorine residual should be very small....like a typical Water Treatment Plant's residual...

Like I said, I will consult the "experts" tomorrow for the ratios that are appropriate. I just wanted to see what others experiences have been.

warlord
12-07-2007, 10:30 PM
My guess is that the chlorine ...


You don't really want to guess. 100 ppm is considered a toxic dose for a woman. 50-200ppm is what is used to sanitize equipment in the food industry, and it gets rinsed after the sanitation step.