PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning laser printers

GremlinLFE
09-03-2003, 07:52 PM
Anyone have any tips or advice on cleaning laser printers? By laser printers, I mean your run of the mill, use at home laser printer. I have a Xerox Workcenter XE80 with a new toner cartridge. I cannot find anything in the utilities or online that deals with clearning the smudging and streaking. Help! Thank you.

Horsepower
09-04-2003, 07:59 AM
I have a 6 month old Brother multifuction laser printer. There are streaks when it prints, the toner cartridge is new, and the drum shows 70% life. The manual gives specific cleaning instructions, and I've cleaned it several times with no success.

GremlinLFE
09-05-2003, 11:51 AM
Anyone? I've looked online to no avail. Please help us out here. Thanks.

Horsepower
09-05-2003, 08:24 PM
I found this information here (http://www.support.xerox.com/SRVS/CGI-BIN/WEBCGI.EXE/,/?St=13,E=0000000000009468260,K=7372,Sxi=4,Case=obj (25222))

Online Support Assistant
WorkCentre XE80 Digital Copier - Laser Printer
Solution: Clean the Drum and Check the Magnetic Toner Roller for Contamination

NOTE: Please follow all of the steps in this solution. It is possible that both the Drum Cartridge and the Toner Cartridge are contaminated. If this is the case, it is imperative that you replace both cartridges at the exact same time.

Open the Front Cover.
Remove the Toner Cartridge by lifting the peach-colored handle and pulling towards you.
Flip the Toner Cartridge upside down on a sheet of paper, and look at the black Magnetic Toner Roller. The Magnetic Toner Roller should be uniformly covered with black toner. Lift the black plastic shield to see more of the Magnetic Toner Roller's surface. Look to see if there is a mark or gouge on the Magnetic Toner Roller that corresponds with the streak on your print-outs. If there is a corresponding mark, replace the Toner Cartridge. To purchase a Toner Cartridge, part number 6R916, online from Xerox, refer to Related Items at the bottom of this page.
NOTE: It is possible that your Drum Cartridge is also part of the problem. Please continue with all of the steps in this solution.

CAUTION: Be careful not to touch the green shiny surface of the Drum.

Remove the Drum Cartridge by lifting up on the two peach-colored tabs and pulling toward you.
Look at the green surface of the Drum. Check to see if there are toner spots, scratches or streaks on the surface.
If there are scratches on the Drum, the Drum Cartridge will need to be replaced. To purchase a Drum Cartridge, part number 13R553, online from Xerox, refer to Related Items at the bottom of this page.
If there are spots or streaks of toner on the Drum, take a clean piece of paper and roll it into an 8 inch long spool, 25 mm or smaller in diameter. Use the surface of this spool (not the end) as a scrub tool to remove the toner from the Drum. Please be careful not to touch the Drum with your hand or the edge of the paper. You can turn the Drum using the gear on the end of it. Click to view an animation of the Drum Cartridge Cleaning.
If the Drum does not come clean with Step 7, try rolling up four or five pieces of paper into one tube. This will allow you to wipe the Drum with a little more pressure. Please still be careful not to damage the Drum.
If the Drum will not come clean, or if you see scratches on the surface after the toner is removed, replace the Drum Cartridge. To purchase a Drum Cartridge, part number 13R553, online from Xerox, refer to Related Items at the bottom of this page.
If you are able to clean the surface of the drum, reinsert the Drum Cartridge.
Reinsert the Toner Cartridge.
Make ten blank copies.
If the streaks or spots come back, the Drum Cartridge will need to be replaced. To purchase a Drum Cartridge, part number 13R553, online from Xerox, refer to Related Items at the bottom of this page.
If you saw corresponding marks on both the Toner Cartridge and the Drum Cartridge, it is imperative that you change both cartridges at the exact same time. If you do not change both cartridges at the same time, you run the risk of your old cartridge contaminating your new one.
AND
Online Support Assistant [Start a new search]
WorkCentre XE80 Digital Copier - Laser Printer

Solution: Clean the Document Glass and White Cushion
Turn the power off.
Lift the Document Cover.
Remove any original documents that are on the Document Glass.
CAUTION: Use only water to clean the Document Glass. Do not pour or spray water directly onto the Document Glass or any other part of the Xerox device.

Dampen a clean, lint-free towel or rag with warm water, holding the clean towel or rag away from the Xerox device.
Thoroughly wipe the Document Glass clean.
Wipe clean the White Cushion located on the underside of the Document Cover.
Wait for the Document Glass and White Cushion to dry.
Close the Document Cover.
Turn the power on.
Make a copy.

Unfortunately, I did not cure mine with the instructions that Brother gave me.

I used to have an XE88 but abandoned it because of lack of drivers.

GremlinLFE
09-08-2003, 07:07 PM
thanks

WobbleWobble
09-09-2003, 02:18 AM
What I do is I take the drum out and use compressed air to blow things out.

Pretty Cool
09-09-2003, 03:31 AM
Originally posted by: Horsepower
I have a 6 month old Brother multifuction laser printer. There are streaks when it prints, the toner cartridge is new, and the drum shows 70% life. The manual gives specific cleaning instructions, and I've cleaned it several times with no success.

If you have black vertical lines with each print, the drum needs replacing. Despite whatever it says in Brother's literature, their drums never lasts the expected 15,000-20,000 pages. Instead, they only last a certain time(let's say a year or 2). They also need to be pampered. That means absolutely no direct light and running the fan forever until the unit cools down. With Brother lasers, problematic drums seem common.

vegetation
09-09-2003, 07:53 AM
Originally posted by: Pretty Cool

Originally posted by: Horsepower

If you have black vertical lines with each print, the drum needs replacing. Despite whatever it says in Brother's literature, their drums never lasts the expected 15,000-20,000 pages. Instead, they only last a certain time(let's say a year or 2). They also need to be pampered. That means absolutely no direct light and running the fan forever until the unit cools down. With Brother lasers, problematic drums seem common.

I can vouch for this. I'm on my second Brother drum and it's already crapping out with only a few thousand light text pages printed (about 1 year!). The first one crapped out even earlier. Wouldn't be such a problem if it weren't for the fact that a new drum costs almost as much as a whole new printer. I'm staying clear of Brother's crap from now on.

Mr N8
09-09-2003, 11:02 AM
Also, when you take the toner out, there is a wire underneath where the toner is sitting. Take a small brush (some printers come with it, but a toothbrish or electric razor brush works well) and run it along that wire. I've seen this fix a lot of lazer printing problems. Especially when laser printers are missing a line or a couple or lines (verticle) when printing.