PDA

View Full Version : little girl gets locked in bank vault

Buttzilla
08-15-2003, 12:48 PM
i'm surprised nobody mentioned this yet but yesterday this little girl got locked in a washington mutual bank vault for a few hours.

linky... (http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2003/08/15/BA1201.DTL)

that was pretty careless of the mother and the other employees. i used to work in a bank and besides the vault door there's a gate that's always locked and always swings shut once it's opened. also, it takes a good few minutes to lock the vault due to the fact that there's usually two codes to enter, one which the manager has and one which the teller has. dont' know how this could happen but apparently the toddler stayed pretty calm throughout the ordeal.

Daxxax
08-15-2003, 01:06 PM
I don't know, maybe they should of just waited till this morning to get her out. Then again if it was my child.......

sygyzy
08-15-2003, 01:10 PM
What a horrible waste of money. The girl was not traumatized, she was not crying, she was in NO danger. What is safer than a safe? The rescue probably cost tens of thousands and now the integrity of the safe is gone. They probably will have to rebuild the whole thing. You can't just fill the hole up with concrete again. It won't be as strong.

TheeeChosenOne
08-15-2003, 01:13 PM
I'm sure the safe is insured.

boyRacer
08-15-2003, 01:15 PM
Dont they have cameras inside?

amnesiac
08-15-2003, 01:18 PM
Everyone involved should be fired. THey are all stupid.
- Mother is ultra-stupid for not keeping tabs on her kid
- Other employee is stupid for not clearing the safe properly
- Managers, etc. are stupid for not knowing how to unlock the safe
- Everyone involved in the rescue is stupid for not just letting the girl wait another 6 hours when there was NO DANGER to her to do so.

OrByte
08-15-2003, 01:24 PM
not knowing the personality of the little girl everyone HAD to go in there and get her out. At age 2 some kids are more mentally developed than others, and some kids would be able to handle the situation....but my gut is telling me most kids arent. There could have been some serious psychological damage done had the little girl spent the night in the safe all by herself with no contact with anyone.

I think the authorities did the right thing. As a parent there would be NO WAY I would allow my kid to be trapped inside over night...even tho it was my own stupidity that placed them in that position. They could garnish my wage forever if they had to in order to pay back for the damage to the safe, but I would want my kid out.

my .02

Tab
08-15-2003, 01:25 PM
Originally posted by: amnesiac
- Everyone involved in the rescue is stupid for not just letting the girl wait another 6 hours when there was NO DANGER to her to do so.

LOL!

NogginBoink
08-15-2003, 01:40 PM
A two year old toddler can't be expected to deal well with spending the night in the vault. A twelve year old, sure. But I'm all for getting the two year old out.

But no one knew how to open the time-locked vault -- not the bank's security experts, not the most seasoned cop or firefighter, not even the Federal Bureau of Investigation, which was consulted.
Um... did they consult the manufacturer? That's just stupid.

Nitemare
08-15-2003, 01:55 PM
Originally posted by: sygyzy
What a horrible waste of money. The girl was not traumatized, she was not crying, she was in NO danger. What is safer than a safe? The rescue probably cost tens of thousands and now the integrity of the safe is gone. They probably will have to rebuild the whole thing. You can't just fill the hole up with concrete again. It won't be as strong.

She's lucky it was not my safe. As long as there was no danger to the child, she should have spent the night there. Whoever sealed the safe would have been fired for not checking and the mother would have been fired for bringing her kid to work and not supervising her.

Buttzilla
08-15-2003, 02:15 PM
they found her curled in a ball sleeping while they pounded away at the concrete walls. wow, what a daughter.

gwlam12
08-15-2003, 02:30 PM

not knowing how to unlock the safe helps protects the managers

girl waiting another 6 hrs could've traumatized her. would you leave your daughter alone for 12 hrs in a vault?

pennylane
08-15-2003, 02:33 PM
Originally posted by: gwlam12

not knowing how to unlock the safe helps protects the managers

girl waiting another 6 hrs could've traumatized her. would you leave your daughter alone for 12 hrs in a vault?

Depends how old. 2... is a little young I think. So I probably agree.

Ryan
08-15-2003, 02:35 PM
Originally posted by: gwlam12

Originally posted by: amnesiac Everyone involved should be fired. THey are all stupid. - Mother is ultra-stupid for not keeping tabs on her kid - Other employee is stupid for not clearing the safe properly - Managers, etc. are stupid for not knowing how to unlock the safe - Everyone involved in the rescue is stupid for not just letting the girl wait another 6 hours when there was NO DANGER to her to do so. not knowing how to unlock the safe helps protects the managers girl waiting another 6 hrs could've traumatized her. would you leave your daughter alone for 12 hrs in a vault?

Traumatized my ass. i/expressions/rolleye.gif Stop with the voodoo psychology, buddy.

gsaldivar
08-15-2003, 02:39 PM

zixxer
08-15-2003, 02:40 PM
make the kid wait. damn. we are over populated anyway. with a mother as dumb as that she won't be much better. hell.. should have cut off the oxygen.

The Stigenator
08-15-2003, 02:40 PM
washington mutual.. it figures..
they have caused me headaches and my gf too..

Right now I am stuck with them.. they closed my acct without even telling me.. bounced all my checks..
and like its not their fault.

Gyrene
08-15-2003, 02:45 PM
Originally posted by: se7enty7
make the kid wait. damn. we are over populated anyway. with a mother as dumb as that she won't be much better. hell.. should have cut off the oxygen.

Well, maybe we should get rid of uncaring bastards like yourself. If you're that willing to give another life away, maybe you should offer up your own. It's for the betterment of society...i/expressions/rolleye.gif

OrganizedChaos
08-15-2003, 02:50 PM
Originally posted by: NogginBoink
A two year old toddler can't be expected to deal well with spending the night in the vault. A twelve year old, sure. But I'm all for getting the two year old out.

But no one knew how to open the time-locked vault -- not the bank's security experts, not the most seasoned cop or firefighter, not even the Federal Bureau of Investigation, which was consulted.
Um... did they consult the manufacturer? That's just stupid.

They were planning on doing that right after they read the manual that came with the vault.