PDA

View Full Version : Sushi/Sashimi grade tuna $10.45/lbs + OVERNIGHT shipping

wjones
08-14-2003, 02:25 PM
Fresh Sushi / Sashimi Grade Yellowfin Tuna Fillets (Ahi, Maguro)
Reg price: $15/lb
Member price: $11/lb - 5% member discount = $10.45/lb (http://www.catalinaop.com/memberpg.html)
3lbs minimum and the shipping is EXPENSIVE unless you use Golden State Overnight (CA & NV Residents Only)

I'm in bay area so I'll just buy it at half moon bay for around $15-$16/lbs. This is good for those who like it but can't get it around your area.

iwearnosox
08-14-2003, 02:29 PM
I live near HMB, any recommendations for sushi in that area?

Sheriff
08-14-2003, 02:49 PM
Originally posted by: iwearnosox

Pacific Ocean ;)

sxr7171
08-14-2003, 03:29 PM
Wow! I just spent over an hour looking at that site and a couple of the links. There is some cool stuff there. I want to try some sea urchin now.

rasputinj
08-14-2003, 03:37 PM
Cool deal, for me it never tastes as good as when my favorite sushi chefs make it for me. I go to a great place in Sherman Oaks in Los Angeles called Iwata on Ventura blvd. great sushi, been going there since 95'. I live 35 miles away from there now and drive there 1-2 a week for a sushi fix. I have eaten at Nobu, Kio and other hot spots but keep coming back to Iwata.

crumpet19
08-14-2003, 03:54 PM
OMG thats expensive. The Albdertsons three miles from me sells Sashimi grade tuna for $8.99/lb. Salmon and Talipa for less..

I live in Tulsa, OK, btw.

but, bump for some sushi/sashimi lovin

SammyBoy
08-14-2003, 03:56 PM
Originally posted by: crumpet19
OMG thats expensive. The Albdertsons three miles from me sells Sashimi grade tuna for $8.99/lb. Salmon and Talipa for less..

Mmmmmmm! Oklahoma tuna! Caught that morning and on your plate that night! oh wait...no...

Anyhow, when i make sushi i just buy the best looking cut at Bread and Circus or Legal Seafoods, i haven't gotten sick yet. Mmmmmmm Tuuuunnnnnnnaaa

crumpet19
08-14-2003, 04:00 PM
Originally posted by: SammyBoy

Mmmmmmm! Oklahoma tuna! Caught that morning and on your plate that night! oh wait...no...

Anyhow, when i make sushi i just buy the best looking cut at Bread and Circus or Legal Seafoods, i haven't gotten sick yet. Mmmmmmm Tuuuunnnnnnnaaa

hey, as long as they don't fish it outta one of our rivers, I'm happy.

TunaBoo
08-14-2003, 04:02 PM
Did someone say tuna?

axskkyline
08-14-2003, 04:03 PM
hmm... ohmm..ohh

axskkyline
08-14-2003, 04:03 PM
:P YUMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMY!!!!!!!!!!!!

chiggachu
08-14-2003, 04:05 PM

Haha...gotta love those landlocked seafood lovers. As my dad would say "Real fish does not come in brown squares." On the east coast I like to see the entire fish...gotta know that the cut comes from an actual animal. (Now if only KFC would show pictures of their "chickens")...

johnyaya
08-14-2003, 04:17 PM
I get fresh sushi-grade tuna for $8.99/lb here in FL.
I still don't understand why Yellowtail ($15+/lb, at least)
is so expensive though...cool link, never thought about
having fish "shipped" in.

QuicknDirty
08-14-2003, 04:24 PM
Originally posted by: chiggachu

Haha...gotta love those landlocked seafood lovers. As my dad would say "Real fish does not come in brown squares." On the east coast I like to see the entire fish...gotta know that the cut comes from an actual animal. (Now if only KFC would show pictures of their "chickens")...

Bah! You gotta try Grandpa's YellowCat...it'll make ya fergit all about that tuna!

Seriously...you ever seen an 85lb catfish? That thing was about 5.5' long!!

QnD

warriorfan23
08-14-2003, 04:32 PM
if u want to try salmon sashimi get the salmon fillet at costco... theyre fresh and damn good!

crumpet19
08-14-2003, 04:34 PM
on a slightly different note...
how the hell do you make an inside out roll?
do you just lay out the nori, spread the rice, flip it over and lay out ingredients and roll it up backwards?

and where can I buy some masago?

Don Vito Corleone
08-14-2003, 04:45 PM

hey, as long as they don't fish it outta one of our rivers, I'm happy.

Hee hee - you have to love that Oklahoma tuna - Mmmmmmm, arsenic!

spinn
08-14-2003, 04:48 PM
Does freezing it for a few days really change the taste? I need to find a cheap place locally...anyone know of a good cheap market to buy sashimi grade yellowtail or salmon in the San Francisco area? There's a place on Irving/23rd that I've been meanin' to try out. 99 Ranch and Lion Market suck.

jaybert
08-14-2003, 04:55 PM
all sushi is frozen at one time.....its dangerous to eat if it is not, kills the bacteria or something

this isnt in your normal freezer though, somethine like -40degrees C.

huesmann
08-14-2003, 05:32 PM
I believe you are mistaken.

pigseye2
08-14-2003, 05:52 PM
Jaybert, I'm no sushi expert but I think you're wrong.

Freezing any fish significantly affects the flavor. Is it unedible after frozen? No, it still tastes pretty good, but is the flavor affected? yes.

SammyBoy
08-14-2003, 05:56 PM
do you just lay out the nori, spread the rice, flip it over and lay out ingredients and roll it up backwards?

For an inside out roll, here's how I do it. Dunno if it's the right way but it works for me:
spread the rice on your nori the same way as normal, but do the whole thing, don't leave any gaps on the edges and try and make it uniform. Then wrap seran wrap around your sushi mat thingy with all of the creases on 1 side so 1 side is just 1 layer of seran wrap. Now lay your rice/nori combo rice down on the smooth side, put ur goodies on the inside, roll up and squeeze. Your rice shouldn't stick to the plastic wrap too bad.

Masago....i dunno, just hunt around for a shop run by 5 slanty eyed people who you dont understand, walk up to the oldest one and say MA-SA-GO a few times, shouldnt be too tough.

wjones
08-14-2003, 06:43 PM
Originally posted by: iwearnosox
I don't know if there is any good sushi place. You can get fresh tuna at the Pillar Point harbor.

vec
08-14-2003, 08:10 PM
I live in Los Angeles and the only place I trust to buy sashimi quality fish is at Marukai Market in Gardena. Their other locations probably have the same quality but I can't say since I've never been there before.

A least once a month they have maguro (tuna) for $10/lb, yellowtail for $17/lb, salmon for $15/lb. A pound of sashimi goes a long way. Sashimi is good, but Hawaiian-style poki is best!

jaybert
08-14-2003, 10:23 PM
Taken from http://www.principalhealthnews.com/topic/sushi

The first secret of the masters can be found inside a hulking metal freezer in the corner. It is this: With few exceptions, the sushi served at the average restaurant has been frozen. This is a good thing. Freezing kills parasites. In many cases the fish is frozen right on the deep-sea fishing boats to keep it from spoiling on the lengthy return voyage. The same is true in the States, though it's not a requirement. "The transport of fresh fish," says Peter Schantz of the CDC's division of parasitic diseases, "is such that the most practical way to do it is to freeze it."

Frozen sushi? Yoshizaki nods. He says it's hard to tell the difference between fresh raw fish and fresh-frozen. As long as it's frozen right away, he insists, the taste is the same As for texture, he continues, mushy fish is caused by poor freezing practices, not freezing per se. A fillet shouldn't be left in the freezer longer than two weeks. "Freezer burn," he says. "Fish become watery. No good." Thawing in hot water is another no-no. "Defrost too fast. Fish get soft."

chiggachu
08-14-2003, 11:18 PM

For an inside out roll, here's how I do it. Dunno if it's the right way but it works for me:
spread the rice on your nori the same way as normal, but do the whole thing, don't leave any gaps on the edges and try and make it uniform. Then wrap seran wrap around your sushi mat thingy with all of the creases on 1 side so 1 side is just 1 layer of seran wrap. Now lay your rice/nori combo rice down on the smooth side, put ur goodies on the inside, roll up and squeeze. Your rice shouldn't stick to the plastic wrap too bad.

Masago....i dunno, just hunt around for a shop run by 5 slanty eyed people who you dont understand, walk up to the oldest one and say MA-SA-GO a few times, shouldnt be too tough.

I'm a chef in the Sushi club at my college:

You spread rice over most of the nori, leaving 1/4-1/2 inch of space on the edge. The key here is SESAME SEEDS. White ones are good, but a black and white mixture is great! spread evenly all over the rice side and then place saran wrap on top of the entire side. Flip the whole thing over and onto the mat, add ingredients to nori side, then roll as usual, tucking the exposed nori edge under the other edge. Hope that helps...

mhoytech
08-14-2003, 11:38 PM
It would seem to me that buying from day boats rather than the trolling fish factories is the answer. Floating fish factories are generally at sea for weeks at a time, filling up their hulls with dead fish of several varieties. They are then processed and frozen. It still does not make it a safe product. I think I would want to take my chances with something fresh and only a day old.

wjones
08-15-2003, 08:14 PM
Originally posted by: mhoytech
It would seem to me that buying from day boats rather than the trolling fish factories is the answer. Floating fish factories are generally at sea for weeks at a time, filling up their hulls with dead fish of several varieties. They are then processed and frozen. It still does not make it a safe product. I think I would want to take my chances with something fresh and only a day old.
But the day boats won't get tuna, right? Aren't tuna only can be found in deep sea? (correct me if I'm wrong)

weepul
08-15-2003, 09:07 PM
*drools* now i want sushi and sashimi now. *looks @ wallet* sigh....

//krunk (^_^x)

dgodwin
08-15-2003, 11:31 PM
I don't make sushi, but the fish and inverts in my reef tank (think finding nemo) love nori.

sxr7171
08-18-2003, 02:05 PM
That site inspired me to try sea urchin (uni). It was pretty interesting, nice texture and a sweet taste, but it had a slightly bitter after taste. The server told me that it was normal to have a bitter after taste. Does anyone know here if that is normal, did I get a good sample?

wjones
09-22-2003, 06:43 PM
Bump, now the minimum is 2lbs :)