PDA

View Full Version : Who else uses AuctionStealer on eBay? :-)

NFS4
06-22-2003, 08:06 PM
Oh man, how do I LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE sniping at the very end of auctions :D Put in your max bid and forget about it...and no one knows but you ;)

I don't see why anyone would bid any other way on an auction (unless it's buy it now or fixed price).

shady123
06-22-2003, 08:09 PM
thats so cheap

conjur
06-22-2003, 08:09 PM
Finally got that rare Menudo lunch box you've been after?

shady123
06-22-2003, 08:10 PM
LOL

Eli
I snipe by hand, heh.

jlee
Originally posted by: shady123
thats so cheap

How is it cheap? If I bid my maximum bid right away and he snipes, the only way I'll lose is if he is willing to pay more than I pay...I honestly don't see the problem with so-called 'auction sniping'. The only way to lose to a 'sniper' is if you don't bid the most you're willing to pay at first, or if he was willing to pay more than you.

paruhd0x
06-22-2003, 08:11 PM
Its safe to enter your ebay information in this site? Hmmmmm.

Link (http://www.auctionstealer.com)

Dudd
06-22-2003, 08:13 PM
Doesn't Ebay already have an option to put in your max bid?

shady123
06-22-2003, 08:13 PM
Just don't buy on ebay that'll solve all your problems.

NFS4
06-22-2003, 08:16 PM
Originally posted by: Dudd
Doesn't Ebay already have an option to put in your max bid?

Yes, but everyone knows that you HAVE bid on the item. In other words, if you put in your max bid, "you" will still continue to battle with whatever fools that keep trying to outbid you.

Most people who snipe don't bid til the LAST minute of the auction.

conjur
06-22-2003, 08:20 PM
Is there a way to bump your max bid price? Or if you rebid to change the max does it bump the bid price up?

And, I still don't see the difference with AuctionStealer. Esp. if you end up at the same dollar max as a sniper, you'd win if your bid was in first.

NFS4
06-22-2003, 08:25 PM
Originally posted by: conjur
Is there a way to bump your max bid price? Or if you rebid to change the max does it bump the bid price up?

And, I still don't see the difference with AuctionStealer. Esp. if you end up at the same dollar max as a sniper, you'd win if your bid was in first.

Here's the main differences.

If the "appearance" that not many people are interested in the auction is upheld, the auction price will stay low until the very end of the auction. If you place your proxy bid early with eBay, idiots will keep trying to outbid you all through the auction until the price skyrockets.

conjur
06-22-2003, 08:26 PM
Guess it depends on the item and how much of a market there is for it.

BTW, any ideers on the first question I had above?

AgaBoogaBoo
06-22-2003, 08:28 PM
Originally posted by: NFS4

Originally posted by: conjur

Here's the main differences.

If the "appearance" that not many people are interested in the auction is upheld, the auction price will stay low until the very end of the auction. If you place your proxy bid early with eBay, idiots will keep trying to outbid you all through the auction until the price skyrockets.

Thats sounds fun, seriously. I wish I could use ebay and such but my dad doesn't feel safe with that kind of stuff...

AgaBoogaBoo
06-22-2003, 08:30 PM
Back to the question: My friend's dad uses it... whenever we go over and hes always got the sniper running in his toolbar with currently a huge list of auctions hes after...

Jombo
06-22-2003, 08:35 PM
oh the last minute excitement of getting a steal at the last minute ^^

of course, you can get burned by trying to be a cheap bastard by putting your max bid too low at the last minute. at least you jacked up someone else's bid ^^

i like to "snipe" i guess. no need to jack up the price of the item 3 days before the auction's end. maybe good for the sellers, but seems plain dumb to me. but then again, the world of internet is full of dumb peeps..

NFS4
06-22-2003, 08:37 PM
no need to jack up the price of the item 3 days before the auction's end. maybe good for the sellers, but seems plain dumb to me. but then again, the world of internet is full of dumb peeps..
Yup

And that's the problem with eBay's proxy bidding. The price always gets jacked up to hell.

Jugernot
06-22-2003, 08:38 PM
I officially have another reason to hate to you NFS4. :|

;)

RossMAN
06-22-2003, 08:54 PM
Auction Stealer has been down quite a bit lately, I think due to some hacking.

So my wife has been using an alternative sniping service (not as nice though but it works)
http://www.justsnipe.com/

RaymondY
06-22-2003, 11:07 PM
Interesting!!!

BD2003
06-22-2003, 11:26 PM
Why ebay refuses to extend the bidding 30 seconds after each bid is beyond me.

McMadman
06-22-2003, 11:35 PM
I used auctionstealer once when I knew there was no way I'd be awake to win a paticular auction, I did win, but of course I saw similar auctions going much cheaper after that, but oh well, ~16 cents/jewel case was good enough for me. :)

I probably would have just sniped manually if I knew I'd be awake/around at auctions end.

Yossarian
06-22-2003, 11:39 PM
I have used it in the past but I'm kinda leery. Their site was hacked and a lot of passwords got out, which gives someone access to your ebay account. And my ebay account contains credit card info.

AnyMal
06-22-2003, 11:39 PM
I think you are trying to reinvent the wheel. Ebay's proxy bidding already does that for you. Enter the amount you're willing to pay and forget it. If you win at lower price great, if you loose, oh well. Only the dumba$$es that are willing overpay would fight the proxy bid.

halik
06-22-2003, 11:42 PM
Originally posted by: CadetLee

Originally posted by: shady123
thats so cheap

How is it cheap? If I bid my maximum bid right away and he snipes, the only way I'll lose is if he is willing to pay more than I pay...I honestly don't see the problem with so-called 'auction sniping'. The only way to lose to a 'sniper' is if you don't bid the most you're willing to pay at first, or if he was willing to pay more than you.

Thegonagle
06-23-2003, 12:13 AM
Originally posted by: AnyMal
I think you are trying to reinvent the wheel. Ebay's proxy bidding already does that for you. Enter the amount you're willing to pay and forget it. If you win at lower price great, if you loose, oh well. Only the dumba$$es that are willing overpay would fight the proxy bid.

True. But there sure are a lot of dumbasses, aren't there? Sites like that keep your name off the screen until the last 5 seconds or so. That can be to your advantage.

tm37
06-23-2003, 12:26 AM

but not everyone bids that way.

What if I think it's worth 30 bucks and you think it's worth 35. I bid 15 to keep the price low and no one else bids till you snipe @ 1 minute left your bid is 35 BUT you only pay 16 because I only bid 15 and I didn't have time to bid it up.

Now if you had put in your max bid I would have bid it up to 30 so you would have paid 31 because I saw I was out bid so I upped it.

This really preys on those people that try to get a really good deal and have no idea how the process works.

RossMAN
06-26-2003, 12:08 AM
This is so annoying.

AuctionStealer.com was down earlier today and is down again now!

I think we'll start using JustSnipe.com (http://www.justsnipe.com/) more and more often.

Eli
06-26-2003, 12:16 AM
You guys can snipe my auctions all you want.

Anybody interested in a glass beading kiln? :P

Pacfanweb
06-26-2003, 12:32 AM
That's exactly why you DON'T proxy-bid.

I just bought a golf club recently. The auction sat there all week at 22.00. The last day it got up to 23.00. I figured that the person who was high bidder probably had a max amount set around 25-26 bucks.
I was willing to pay up to 35.00 for it. I could have put in 35.00, and waited......and the guy who had his proxy set at 26.00 might have thought "Maybe I'll pay 30.00 for it".....and come in and bid 30.00.

Now, I still would have won the auction, since my proxy was 35.00, but I would have paid 31.00 for a club that, due to a last-second hand-snipe, I got for 27.00.
No reason to pay more than necessary.

Yossarian
06-26-2003, 12:53 AM
right, the only way proxy bidding is to your advantage is if everyone always uses it. stupid game theory!!!

screw3d
06-26-2003, 01:08 AM
Auctionstealer hasn't worked for me yet.. coz all the ebay dumba$$es are bidding at prices higher than they could get in other online outlets... meh

wfbberzerker
06-26-2003, 01:31 AM
manual sniping all the way baby.