PDA

View Full Version : Michelob Ultra - does it seem more carbonated than other beers?

beer
06-14-2003, 02:58 AM
So I suckered into buying a six pack of Michelob Ultra tonight, more for trying to figure out what all the hype is about than actually having a good beer. It wasn't bad, it reminded me of Miller Lite with a different aftertaste. But it also seemed really carbonated, moreso than any other beer I've had. It would suck to have to shotgun somethin like that. Did anyone else notice this?

Eli
06-14-2003, 02:58 AM
Could have just been the batch you got.

Entity
06-14-2003, 02:59 AM
Is that the low carb stuff?

Rob

beer
06-14-2003, 03:01 AM
Yea, its low-carb beer. Ironically it only has half a gram less carb than miller light, which makes it negligible.....and costs 50% more.

amnesiac
06-14-2003, 03:31 AM
I have an idea. Instead of fatties trying to cut out a few grams of carbs from their beer by drinking fizzy bottled horse urine, why don't they STOP DRINKING BEER? Have some goddamn willpower. Drink a bottle of REAL suds and skip out on that extra can of Coke or something. Fat lazy bastard Fatty McFat Fats.

:P

Entity
06-14-2003, 03:33 AM
Originally posted by: amnesiac
I have an idea. Instead of fatties trying to cut out a few grams of carbs from their beer by drinking fizzy bottled horse urine, why don't they STOP DRINKING BEER? Have some goddamn willpower. Drink a bottle of REAL suds and skip out on that extra can of Coke or something. Fat lazy bastard Fatty McFat Fats.

Or just drink vodka. That's my preference. ;)

Rob

beer
06-14-2003, 03:47 AM

Um
I'm fairly sure I'm in considerably better shape than you are, both stronger and with a lower body fat percentage.

A single shot of vodka is far more calorically dense than beer. I can sit through a movie and nurse two or three beers. I'd like to see someone nurse a shot of vodka for the duration of a movie. And on top of that, the moment that you throw any mixers with the vodka besides soda water, you've instantly added ten times the carbs of a lite beer, be it Michelob Ultra or Miller Lite.

Entity
06-14-2003, 03:50 AM
Originally posted by: Elemental007

Um
I'm fairly sure I'm in considerably better shape than you are, both stronger and with a lower body fat percentage.

A single shot of vodka is far more calorically dense than beer. I can sit through a movie and nurse two or three beers. I'd like to see someone nurse a shot of vodka for the duration of a movie. And on top of that, the moment that you throw any mixers with the vodka besides soda water, you've instantly added ten times the carbs of a lite beer, be it Michelob Ultra or Miller Lite.

I don't doubt the rest of it, but a single shot of vodka is not far more calorically dense than beer. Maybe the occasinal lite beer (like Mich. Ultra), maybe, but not good beer. :)

12 oz good beer = 150 calories
12 oz lite beer = 110 calories
5 oz wine = 90 calories
1 1/2 oz liquor = 90 calories (with 6 oz carbonated drink mix add another 75 calories)

BTW, I drink vodka for the taste, and the fact that it has no carbs (I'm a diabetic) and hence doesn't raise my sugars. :)

Rob

beer
06-14-2003, 03:56 AM
Originally posted by: Entity

Um

I don't doubt the rest of it, but a single shot of vodka is not far more calorically dense than beer. Maybe the occasinal lite beer (like Mich. Ultra), maybe, but not good beer. :)

5 oz wine = 90 calories
1 1/2 oz liquor = 90 calories (with 6 oz carbonated drink mix add another 75 calories)

BTW, I drink vodka for the taste, and the fact that it has no carbs (I'm a diabetic) and hence doesn't raise my sugars. :)

Rob

OK

Density in this sense = calories/volume

90/1.5 oz = 60 calories/ounce
95/12 oz = 7.2 calories/ounce

so each beer has roughly as many calories as each shot you take. And furthermore, I can drink an entire six pack and have less than 20 grams of carbs. This is hardly on the radar for me because two hours before, after my workout, I had about 60g of dextrose. On an average day I average about 100g of carbs, over the course of a week....700 grams. I drink maybe twelve beers a week, usually miller lite, so in other words, 12 beer * 3g of carbs/beer = 36g, or about 5%.

And furthermore, you can't sip and enjoy a shot of vokda like I can.

Plus I live in Texas, in a dry county. I can buy beer and wine anywhere I want before midnight. If I want liquor, I have to drive about 15 miles, and I have to buy it by 9 PM.

beer
06-14-2003, 03:57 AM

Rob

BTW, you have more carbs in a slice of bread or in a bag of carrots or in an apple than I do in an entire six-pack of michelob ultra/miller lite.

Entity
06-14-2003, 03:59 AM

Um

5 oz wine = 90 calories

Rob

OK

so each beer has roughly as many calories as each shot you take. And furthermore, I can drink an entire six pack and have less than 20 grams of carbs. This is hardly on the radar for me because two hours before, after my workout, I had about 60g of dextrose. On an average day I average about 100g of carbs, over the course of a week....700 grams. I drink maybe twelve beers a week, usually miller lite, so in other words, 12 beer * 3g of carbs/beer = 36g, or about 5%.

Plus I live in Texas, in a dry county. I can buy beer and wine anywhere I want before midnight. If I want liquor, I have to drive about 15 miles, and I have to buy it by 9 PM.

Other than today (drinking because I'm finally done with college), I always drink only for the taste, not for the feeling. I see what you mean about dense (calorically), but it doesn't matter; I'd rather drink water than drink Michelob or Miller Lite. :D

Rob

Entity
06-14-2003, 03:59 AM

Rob

BTW, you have more carbs in a slice of bread or in a bag of carrots or in an apple than I do in an entire six-pack of michelob ultra/miller lite.

I'm a diabetic. I know my carbs, don't worry -- I eat about as many carbs as you (~100g/day). :D

Rob

Entity
06-14-2003, 04:00 AM
If it's Grey Goose, yes I can. Especially when the beer is something not up to my tastes. Then again, I rarely drink. (~once/month)

Rob

beer
06-14-2003, 04:00 AM

Um

5 oz wine = 90 calories

Rob

OK

Other than today (drinking because I'm finally done with college), I always drink only for the taste, not for the feeling. I see what you mean about dense (calorically), but it doesn't matter; I'd rather drink water than drink Michelob or Miller Lite. :D

Rob

I drink for the taste too. A nice cold beer tastes a whole lot better than a burning shot of vodka going down my throat. And if room temp hard liquor straight doesn't burn you at all anyone....go to a meeting.

courtjester
06-14-2003, 04:02 AM
Sam Adams all the way....

Entity
06-14-2003, 04:02 AM

Um

5 oz wine = 90 calories

Rob

OK

Rob

I drink for the taste too. A nice cold beer tastes a whole lot better than a burning shot of vodka going down my throat. And if room temp hard liquor straight doesn't burn you at all anyone....go to a meeting.

A nice cold Miller Lite (yes, I've tried it) tastes worse than a sip (not a shot) of good vodka. Like I said, to each their own. I actually prefer the taste of vodka. I also like the taste of coffee. :D

Rob

beer
06-14-2003, 04:04 AM

If it's Grey Goose, yes I can. Especially when the beer is something not up to my tastes. Then again, I rarely drink. (~once/month)

Rob

You can sip on a single shot of vodka for twenty minutes? Damn. That's prety good. What's that, 1/10 of an ounce a minute?

beer
06-14-2003, 04:07 AM

A nice cold Miller Lite (yes, I've tried it) tastes worse than a sip (not a shot) of good vodka. Like I said, to each their own. I actually prefer the taste of vodka. I also like the taste of coffee. :D

Rob

To each their own, I guess. I perfer the taste of light beer. Doesn't bog me down. I like Shiner and Ziegenbock, too (Ziegan is a texas-only beer) but I don't really like them unless I want a meal.

Entity
06-14-2003, 04:07 AM

Rob

You can sip on a single shot of vodka for twenty minutes? Damn. That's prety good. What's that, 1/10 of an ounce a minute?

Actually, that's about right for me. Assuming, of course, a social situation (which is the only situation I drink in). Like I said, though, I don't drink much, and I only drink that which I can genuinely appreciate it.

I wasn't saying "I'd rather drink water" out of defense of amnesiac's point; like I said, to each his own. I was saying it out of genuine honesty: I prefer the taste of water to most beer, besides Mac & Jacks and a few others. Those, I'll sip, but I have to be careful, because each raises my sugar (I'm insulin-dependent) by as much as a coke. Since a vodka doesn't, it's easier for me to drink and enjoy.

I generally drink a vodka & tonic, with diet tonic water. The only carbs/cals are in the vodka, and yes, it takes me as long to drink it as it does for you to drink your mich. :D

Rob

beer
06-14-2003, 04:08 AM

Rob

Also
you do realize that you're comparing the cheapest of beers ($8/12 pack) to the most expensive ($40/L) of vodka, right?

Entity
06-14-2003, 04:10 AM

Rob

Also
you do realize that you're comparing the cheapest of beers ($8/12 pack) to the most expensive ($40/L) of vodka, right?

I don't know of many other "lite" beers, in all honesty. All the microbrews I like don't produce lite beers.

Also, it takes me about 6mo to finish off a liter of Vodka; how long does it take you to finish off 5 (same cost) 12pack of that beer? Probably about the same time, I'm guessing. :D

Rob

beer
06-14-2003, 04:14 AM

Rob

Also

I don't know of many other "lite" beers, in all honesty. All the microbrews I like don't produce lite beers.

Also, it takes me about 6mo to finish off a liter of Vodka; how long does it take you to finish off 5 (same cost) 12pack of that beer? Probably about the same time, I'm guessing. :D

Rob

I don't pride myself on drinking only once a month. I drink whenever the social situations allow, and I know that i am not dependant on alcohol for anything. If I go on a spring break trip to padre, I'll be hammered every day. The middle of the semester, with all the tests and labs....you'll probably catch me drinking once or twice a month.

Entity
06-14-2003, 04:17 AM

Rob

Also

Rob

I don't pride myself on drinking only once a month. I drink whenever the social situations allow, and I know that i am not dependant on alcohol for anything. If I go on a spring break trip to padre, I'll be hammered every day. The middle of the semester, with all the tests and labs....you'll probably catch me drinking once or twice a month.

It wasn't meant to be accusatory or proud. It was meant to say that you are comparing density of liquor (which you were correcting me for earlier). Drinking five 12 packs of beer, assuming you like it, seems easier than drinking a L of vodka; then again, since I don't like the beer you are referring to, I guess I can't really speak from that position. :D

Anyway, this wasn't meant to put you down for your choice at all. You prefer beer, and are drinking it in the healthiest way possible (low carbs), which I think is cool. It's just not for me. :D

Rob