PDA

View Full Version : Lion versus Bear - Who would win?

brigden
06-12-2003, 02:55 PM
Just curious? Obviously there are different types of lions and bears, but if you took the baddest lion and the baddest bear, who would win. I reckon the Lion would.

MercenaryForHire
06-12-2003, 02:55 PM
Bruce Lee.

- M4H

Swag1138
06-12-2003, 02:57 PM
I would be inclined to say lion too, but grizzlies can be really quick, and are incredibly strong.

It would be a good fight :)

LordUnum
Grizzly.

dakata24
the bear

pyonir
Lions and Tigers and Bears, oh my!

fonzinator
A Kodiac bear would knock the head off any lion in one swing.

/pulls up chair and :beer: to watch

bunker
Grizzly

Wolverine27
06-12-2003, 02:59 PM
My vote goes to the bear.

Encryptic
06-12-2003, 03:00 PM
It'd be a good fight. Probably the bear, though.

slikmunks
06-12-2003, 03:00 PM
depends... face to face, bear would prob'ly win... but since when do lions go face to face...? they hide, pounce, and break necks... both are strong and can be quick...

brigden
06-12-2003, 03:01 PM
Have you seen how big some of those Serengeti lions get? They take down wildebeest and zebra, which are both big animals.

Vortex22
06-12-2003, 03:01 PM
Where's that thread with the mutant Lion/Tiger mix?
That thing would own a bear.

LordUnum
06-12-2003, 03:05 PM
Originally posted by: Vortex22
NOT. Probably too slow and fat. Grizzly would be quick, still larger than a huge Liger or Tigon, and take an unbelievable amount of punishment.

Result: Against an angry Grizzly, a Liger, Tigon <insert any animal or human with 9mm here> = 0wn3d

djheater
06-12-2003, 03:05 PM
Originally posted by: LordUnum
Grizzly.

If it were a Grizzley, then hands down bear. Absolutely.

BooGiMaN
06-12-2003, 03:06 PM
would either of them have magical powers?

now that would make it even more interesting...

slikmunks

NOT. Probably too slow and fat. Grizzly would be quick, still larger than a huge Liger or Tigon, and take an unbelievable amount of punishment.

Result: Against an angry Grizzly, a Liger, Tigon <insert any animal or human with 9mm here> = 0wn3d

so if i had a 9mm and were a good shot, and i shot it a bunch of times in the head, i'd still get 0wn3d... riiiiiiiiiight.....

Lyfer
Grizzly

LordUnum
06-12-2003, 03:07 PM
Originally posted by: BooGiMaN
would either of them have magical powers?

now that would make it even more interesting...
LIGHTNING BOLT! LIGHTNING BOLT! LIGHTNING BOLT!

SLEEP!

<bleaaaargh>

JeffreyLebowski
I would win, cause i'd shoot them both with a barret light fifty.

brigden
If the lion managed to get on top of the bear, the bear would be toast. The lion will pounce on its prey and bite it in the skull, crushing it, or by the neck, breaking it. Mind you, the bear does have a heavy skull.

Still, what about a Siberian Tiger, or Bengal Tiger? The tiger would own.

Looney
06-12-2003, 03:08 PM
Definitely the bear. It's coat is so thick, i really can't see what the lion can do... unless it gets lucky and locks down on the throat.

newbiepcuser
06-12-2003, 03:08 PM
Polar or Grizzly.

LordUnum
06-12-2003, 03:09 PM
Originally posted by: slikmunks

so if i had a 9mm and were a good shot, and i shot it a bunch of times in the head, i'd still get 0wn3d... riiiiiiiiiight.....
As if you'd have the composure to face a charging (read: MOVING QUICKLY!) Grizzly and manage to get a bullet or two through that thick skull in the exact right place...

brigden
06-12-2003, 03:10 PM
Check this site out:

Interspecies Conflict (http://www.lairweb.org.nz/tiger/conflict13.html)

Bootprint
06-12-2003, 03:10 PM
It all depends on if it's Thurdays or Tuesday.

LordUnum
06-12-2003, 03:11 PM
Originally posted by: Bootprint
Let's say Tuesday...

brigden
06-12-2003, 03:13 PM
Grizzly bear wins:

Grizzly bears - the ultimate carnivore:

Almost all queries received on this topic request answers to the lion versus tiger question. Oddly, few people simply ask which is considered the Ultimate Carnivore.

This honour is held by an animal the tiger does not often have encounter; it is the grizzly bear.

The grizzly bear is a poor predator, taking down a caribou only when the opportunity arises. This, however, shifted his evolution in favour of the job in hand, namely as a digger of hard barren ground for roots, tubers and den building. The grizzly bear subsequently evolved enormous bone and muscle density; roughly ten times our own for a given size. They have developed into huge and enormously powerful animals.

Big cat biology is very different. They have evolved powerful elastic muscles over a low weight, low density bone structure to suit their purpose of chasing down prey.

Grizzly bear pit fights:

The Californians of the late 19th century staged well-documented pit fights with grizzlies and spanish bulls. The grizzlies, using their paw as a club, shattered the unfortunate bull's skull or shoulder bones so easily that the betting became poor.

Eventually, and at considerable cost, African lions were brought in to raise the stakes. The most fierce of the adult males was sent in whilst the grizzly was already waiting in the pits. The lion was known for bravely charging straight in and looked good for the money, but the grizzly killed a male lion almost as easily as he'd killed the bull.

The Californians never understood why. We now know that it was enormously strong bone density meeting a low density skull. At a range of 4 feet the blow crashed in before the lion could apply the wind pipe lock, which is lion and tiger learnt behaviour for taking down prey animals.

The ferocity of this animal easily matches that of an unsettled African lion.

The polar bear:

There is obviously no way tigers and polar bears can conflict, however comments regarding the grizzly usually lead to inevitable questions about the power of the polar bear.

The polar bear is a larger, but less robust creature than other bears.

Compared to the grizzly, it has a thinner, longer and more delicate skull, along with narrower forequarters. This streamlining is an adaptation for an aquatic life style.

The grizzly has a shorter, thicker neck, heavily built skull and more powerful shoulder structure. Despite being a good foot shorter, the grizzly has a trump card.

Their claws, having evolved as digging tools, are also unmatched at opening body carcasses. Claws of 6" aren't uncommon (9" record) while the polar bear has small hook-like 2" claws.

Sometimes, when the ice melts, polar bears have been known to be driven off by grizzlies, when they move south into the grizzlies feeding area. A grizzly will defend his barren ground patches jealously as he races to pile on enough fat for the end of summer denning

LikeLinus
06-12-2003, 03:14 PM
toto would whip both their asses

LordUnum
06-12-2003, 03:15 PM
Originally posted by: brigden
Check this site out:

Interspecies Conflict (http://www.lairweb.org.nz/tiger/conflict13.html)
The polar bear on that page has narcolepsy. :Q

Bootprint
06-12-2003, 03:18 PM

Originally posted by: Bootprint
Let's say Tuesday...

Well, on Tuesday it would be the Lion. The problem is on the weekend with all the hikers out and about, he has to hide from them. So on Monday he would still be tried from the weekend, but anything after Tuesday, Watch out. :)

You also have to add in the problem if the bear eats someone, they might have been drinking and so Monday the bear would a hangover... Never go driving with a bear, they can't hold their alcohol.

biffbacon
06-12-2003, 03:21 PM
i saw an episode of the croc hunter where he was asked this same question, and he said it would be the bear due to its massive strength and razor sharp claws.

BunLengthHotDog
06-12-2003, 03:22 PM
The Californians of the late 19th century staged well-documented pit fights with grizzlies and spanish bulls. The grizzlies, using their paw as a club, shattered the unfortunate bull's skull or shoulder bones so easily that the betting became poor.

Eventually, and at considerable cost, African lions were brought in to raise the stakes. The most fierce of the adult males was sent in whilst the grizzly was already waiting in the pits. The lion was known for bravely charging straight in and looked good for the money, but the grizzly killed a male lion almost as easily as he'd killed the bull.

The Californians never understood why. We now know that it was enormously strong bone density meeting a low density skull. At a range of 4 feet the blow crashed in before the lion could apply the wind pipe lock, which is lion and tiger learnt behaviour for taking down prey animals.

The ferocity of this animal easily matches that of an unsettled African lion

I just picture a grizzly sitting in the pit, minding its own business...

La lala, Doopity dooo...hmmhrmm hrmmmmmm....Cool, a LION!!

SMACK!!

La lala, Doopity dooo...hmmhrmm hrmmmmmm

Mani
06-12-2003, 03:25 PM
depends on whether they are armed with automatic weapons or not

biffbacon
06-12-2003, 03:27 PM
Originally posted by: Mani

ok, say the bear and the lion are unarmed, but you throw a chimp with an AK47 in the mix. what happens then?

Bootprint
06-12-2003, 03:29 PM
Originally posted by: biffbacon

ok, say the bear and the lion are unarmed, but you throw a chimp with an AK47 in the mix. what happens then?

Could you just imagine the bullets flying because of the recoil? I don't know if a chimp could hold it properly.

DieHardware
06-12-2003, 03:30 PM
The Lions, Bengals, and Bears have had their a$$es handed to them by the RAMs for years! ;) :D

pulse8
06-12-2003, 03:31 PM
Is the lion driving a Maxima?

Bootprint
06-12-2003, 03:32 PM
Originally posted by: DieHardware
The Lions, Bengals, and Bears have had their a$$es handed to them by the RAMs for years! ;) :D

That Bengal would be eaten by those lions and bears. I mean, how would a little donut shaped peice of dough even fight.

GoodToGo
06-12-2003, 03:32 PM
Originally posted by: biffbacon

The bear kills the lion, the chimp kills the bear and then shoots itself in the balls.

Zrom999
06-12-2003, 03:36 PM
A large grizzly bear can toss a large lion around like a ragdoll.
A lion would have no chance against a polar bear, unlike other bears those are pure killers.
A black bear however might not do so well against a lion.

newbiepcuser
06-12-2003, 03:39 PM
How about Winnie the Pooh vs Simba?

Shawn
06-12-2003, 03:40 PM
the bear

NathanBWF
06-12-2003, 03:48 PM
how bout a Koala bear vs. a lion?

Eli
06-12-2003, 03:49 PM
The bear..

Bears are more powerful than a lion.. bigger too. As long as we're talking about something like a grizzly..

DrPizza
06-12-2003, 03:50 PM
Originally posted by: JeffreyLebowski
I would win, cause i'd shoot them both with a barret light fifty.

And... what if you came face to face with the grizzly before you had a chance to shoot...

I was face to face with a 450lb black bear a couple years ago.... I had a shotgun with me... I was a little worried, cause the shotgun woulda just pissed him off.

Yax
06-12-2003, 03:56 PM
Just curious? Obviously there are different types of lions and bears, but if you took the baddest lion and the baddest bear, who would win. I reckon the Lion would.

Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon.

conjur
06-12-2003, 03:58 PM
Originally posted by: MercenaryForHire
Bruce Lee.

- M4H

Pfffft...Coke would kick all three of their butts!

Maverick
06-12-2003, 03:59 PM
definitely the bear. Much more powerful animal.

Alienwho
06-12-2003, 04:00 PM

I read if a bear is charging you, a 9mm is pretty much worthless. you can shoot him straight in the face but his bone is so thick and angled that the bullets would just ricochet straight off. You would have to hit him directly in the eye or inside his mouth to do anything. The best place to shoot a bear is it's back in hopes of ripping up his insides.

DiZASTiX
06-12-2003, 04:04 PM
Probably lion...do you ever see a bear hunt down a deer...no you just see them smack fish. :P

stormbv
06-12-2003, 04:21 PM
I'd sneak up on them and jam my thumbs in their buttholes, by crocky!

Maverick
06-12-2003, 04:21 PM
Originally posted by: DiZASTiX
Probably lion...do you ever see a bear hunt down a deer...no you just see them smack fish. :P

this is talking about a fight...not a relay race

fonzinator
06-12-2003, 04:22 PM
Link to article (http://breaking.tcm.ie/2002/10/11/story72067.html)

'World's largest bear' shot in Alaska
11/10/2002 - 8:47:43 am

A US airman is believed to have killed the world's largest bear.

Ted Heuvelmans says he shot the 1,800lb Alaskan Brown bear from 35 yards away, in self defence.

The bear, which was 14ft tall :Q, tried to attack him during a hunting trip on Hitchenbrook Island, near the Elmendorf Air Force Base in the Gulf of Alaska, south of Valdez.

It's twice the size of a normal brown bear, which is the largest of the bears, and experts say it could be the world's biggest.
Alaska has the highest concentration of brown bears in the world.

William Golding, Professor of National History at Toronto University, told the Yukon Courier that the bear's size suggests that it suffered from a growth disorder, such as acromegaly.

Mr Heuvelmans, an airman at Elemdorf airport, said: "She kind of snuck up on me. I was really taken by surprise. She stood up on her hind legs and prepared to charge.

"I was pretty scared, let me tell you! I emptied the chamber into her chest. It took four shots to bring her down. She was huge! If I hadn't gotten her first, I definitely would've been a gonner!"

The Yukon Courier says representatives from The Smithsonian Institution and the Guinness Book of Records will be visiting Alaska next week to verify the record capture.

Sid59
06-12-2003, 04:37 PM
Originally posted by: Shiva112

Originally posted by: DiZASTiX

this is talking about a fight...not a relay race

muahahahha ..

i go with Bear. if PETA wasn't so active, i'd try some sort of PPV.

biffbacon
06-12-2003, 04:49 PM
Originally posted by: Alienwho

I read if a bear is charging you, a 9mm is pretty much worthless. you can shoot him straight in the face but his bone is so thick and angled that the bullets would just ricochet straight off. You would have to hit him directly in the eye or inside his mouth to do anything. The best place to shoot a bear is it's back in hopes of ripping up his insides.

when the bear charged, i would put away my 9mm, and reach in my bag for a more suitable item. say the bazooka or grenade launcher

CPA
06-12-2003, 04:52 PM
I got a better fight:

The Lion King vs Grizzley Adams.

I take Grizzley, cause he was a cool ole' coot.

ManSnake
06-12-2003, 04:52 PM
A Siberian tiger!

Imdmn04
06-12-2003, 04:53 PM
what bout a bear versus a huge croc?
second thought, nah, if that steve irwin dude can kick their ass, then a croc must be pretty weak.

TheChort
06-12-2003, 04:55 PM
this should be a poll

SeaSerpent
06-12-2003, 04:55 PM
Grizzly

Malladine
06-12-2003, 04:56 PM
The bear. It's sheer bulk would prove too much for any lion. Even a siberian tiger wouldn't mess with a grizzly/polar/kodiac.

Malladine
06-12-2003, 04:57 PM
Originally posted by: NathanBWF
how bout a Koala bear vs. a lion?lol I don't know, have you seen an angry koala?

TheChort
Originally posted by: newbiepcuser
How about Winnie the Pooh vs Simba?

pooh might mistake simba's bright yellow colors for honey, and eat him .... so the bear wins again. :confused:

brigden
Would anyone else enjoy watching Steve Irwin get ripped apart by a grizzly bear?

Malladine
06-12-2003, 05:00 PM
Originally posted by: Imdmn04
what bout a bear versus a huge croc?
second thought, nah, if that steve irwin dude can kick their ass, then a croc must be pretty weak.A large croc would match any bear. Crocodiles have serious armour and would definately inflict some damage in just a single bite. The bear would flee IMO. There's a huge difference between being able to sit on their backs and actually "beat them in a fight." Lol. Plus, humans have what is proven to be the most formidable weapon of them all: sentience.

Back to the croc vs bear. You have to remember that, as powerful as they are, bears are only mammals. Meaning that although they have thick fur, it's nothing compared to a croc's plating.

I wonder if a bear's coat is comparable to a hippo/rhino/elephant's skin? I've heard than a hippo's hide can deflect a .22 rifle bullet, nevermind the Rhino... :Q

TheChort
06-12-2003, 05:00 PM
how about steve irwin just getting ripped apart

stormbv
06-12-2003, 05:01 PM
Would anyone else enjoy watching Steve Irwin get ripped apart by a grizzly bear?

A mauling would be sufficient.

Malladine
06-12-2003, 05:04 PM
I used to think about this stuff all the time as a kid. :D

SeaSerpent
06-12-2003, 05:05 PM

It would be funny to see the Australian running around screaming like a little girl....I can picture that.

Malladine
06-12-2003, 05:09 PM
Check this site out:

Interspecies Conflict (http://www.lairweb.org.nz/tiger/conflict13.html)Nice link, thanks

Dingleberries
06-12-2003, 05:13 PM
After a long battle, the lion would take out a joint and share it with the bear. They would then become friends because we all know that is impossible to start a fight while high. The end.

Howard
06-12-2003, 05:15 PM

I doubt you would be able to hit any vital parts in its head.

stormbv
06-12-2003, 05:16 PM
Originally posted by: Dingleberries
After a long battle, the lion would take out a joint and share it with the bear. They would then become friends because we all know that is impossible to start a fight while high. The end.

Then they went halvies on an antelope. The end.

Malladine
06-12-2003, 05:16 PM
Tiger predation on bears:
Tigers generally avoid bears much over 800 lb, but will quite readily predate on sub-600 lb females. This is impressive predation and during fights with the brown bear the tiger gives quite a good account of itself.

Occasional confrontations with similar weight animals over a kill usually fizzle out after a bit of noise and threatening display.

Huge grizzly bears:
However, the 1000 lb plus bear is king here and of a much more ferocious disposition. Two large male tigers were found killed by such animals in the year 2000, which is tragic, if natures way.

Tigers will usually avoid such a powerful foe, but eventually these huge animals will run into each other. Often the bear is trying to steal the tiger's kill. The tiger gives a better account of itself in a bear fight than the lion. The bear does not go in for strangulation or nape biting, but uses his paws to rain blows to the head and shoulders. Possibly this removes any advantage of a mane.

With no experience of bear fighting, a lion would probably be found wanting against such a foe, yet it appears to have great advantage against creatures which go in for blood letting at the throat (such as the tiger).

Cool huh?

NathanBWF
06-12-2003, 05:21 PM
Originally posted by: Malladine

Originally posted by: NathanBWF
how bout a Koala bear vs. a lion?lol I don't know, have you seen an angry koala?

Oh yeah...those b@stards are vicious! Most dangerous animal on earth...guaranteed...well...next to penguins of course. Hmmm....

Note to self: Buy a lion and a penguin and make them fight.

js1973
06-12-2003, 05:46 PM
I think you'd have a hard time getting a lion to fight. They seem kind of lazy.

Gobadgrs
06-12-2003, 05:46 PM
Originally posted by: MercenaryForHire
Bruce Lee.

- M4H

brigden
06-14-2003, 11:59 PM
Originally posted by: Malladine
Tiger predation on bears:
Tigers generally avoid bears much over 800 lb, but will quite readily predate on sub-600 lb females. This is impressive predation and during fights with the brown bear the tiger gives quite a good account of itself.

Occasional confrontations with similar weight animals over a kill usually fizzle out after a bit of noise and threatening display.

Huge grizzly bears:
However, the 1000 lb plus bear is king here and of a much more ferocious disposition. Two large male tigers were found killed by such animals in the year 2000, which is tragic, if natures way.

Tigers will usually avoid such a powerful foe, but eventually these huge animals will run into each other. Often the bear is trying to steal the tiger's kill. The tiger gives a better account of itself in a bear fight than the lion. The bear does not go in for strangulation or nape biting, but uses his paws to rain blows to the head and shoulders. Possibly this removes any advantage of a mane.

With no experience of bear fighting, a lion would probably be found wanting against such a foe, yet it appears to have great advantage against creatures which go in for blood letting at the throat (such as the tiger).

Cool huh?

Can you imagine seeing a pissed of tiger take on a smaller female bear? I wouldn't want to try to break that fight up.

touchmyichi
06-15-2003, 12:13 AM
Another vote for bruce lee

ohtwell
06-15-2003, 12:16 AM
I say the lion would win!

: ) Amanda

Pacfanweb
06-15-2003, 01:24 AM
If anyone bothered to read that link a couple of pages back, it's obvious that a bear will crush a lion.

"Eventually, and at considerable cost, African lions were brought in to raise the stakes. The most fierce of the adult males was sent in whilst the grizzly was already waiting in the pits. The lion was known for bravely charging straight in and looked good for the money, but the grizzly killed a male lion almost as easily as he'd killed the bull."

LS20
06-15-2003, 02:26 AM
ditka with camo shirts and some steel toed boots

LS20
06-15-2003, 02:34 AM
[i]Originally posted by: Malladine
I wonder if a bear's coat is comparable to a hippo/rhino/elephant's skin? I've heard than a hippo's hide can deflect a .22 rifle bullet, nevermind the Rhino... :Q

some species of buffalos have crazy killer thick skin--thicker than hippo/rhino/elephant--and theyre skulls can deflect most bullet rounds... plus they can charge 50km/h with sharp horns... that thing will be tough to take down

Aquaman
06-15-2003, 03:49 AM
if the lion can bet behind the bear & get a hold of the back of the neck then the lion (that is how they kill things)

Most likely the bear will whoop the lions ass because the lions hunt in prides (groups).

Cheers,
Aquaman

cavemanmoron
06-15-2003, 09:23 AM
Originally posted by: bunker
Grizzly