PDA

View Full Version : YACT: Best way to deploy an Airbag, without hitting anything....

illusion88
05-13-2003, 10:57 PM
How do you get those suckers to go off? I have an old car and I want to make the bag go off. You know, just for kicks and giggles. Any ideas?

Spac3d
05-13-2003, 10:59 PM
Uh..... that is a terrible idea. Airbag's aren't toys, they can do some serious damage, not to mention that they mess up the interior of your car with all that dust.

BCYL
05-13-2003, 11:00 PM
Whatever you do, take the airbag out of the car and set it off in an open area...

When the airbag goes off it also releases a lot of chemicals... stinks like hell...

illusion88
05-13-2003, 11:01 PM
Originally posted by: Spac3d
Uh..... that is a terrible idea. Airbag's aren't toys, they can do some serious damage, not to mention that they mess up the interior of your car with all that dust.

Mess isnt a problem. I want to do it without beign behind the wheel. Like from a distance or something. A bag comming at me a 600mph does not apeal to me.

Jugernot
05-13-2003, 11:01 PM
Pound on the bumper with a sledge... that is where the air bag sensors are located.

BCYL
05-13-2003, 11:05 PM
Originally posted by: Jugernot
Pound on the bumper with a sledge... that is where the air bag sensors are located.

You sure? I thought the airbag sensors are located at the front of the car so it would deploy during impact...

clarkmo
05-13-2003, 11:07 PM
Originally posted by: BCYL

Originally posted by: Jugernot

You sure? I thought the airbag sensors are located at the front of the car so it would deploy during impact...

Well, then don't pound on the rear bumper, try the front bumper. I think the impact might just do it.

cerebusPu
05-13-2003, 11:08 PM
you need the car to be hitting a stationary object at some speed to get the air bag sensors to deploy. pounding on the bumper may work..but you gotta give it the same force as a car hitting a wall at 10mph. thats not possible with a sledgehammer. you'd have to swing that sucker at 1000mph. (assuming 2000 pound car and 20 pound sledge)

check your car's service manual to figure out where the airbag sensors are located. they can be triggered electronically too. best bet would be to roll your car and hit something.

Ronstang
05-13-2003, 11:10 PM
This is simple, disconnect the battery and locate one of the airbag triggers in the front of the car. Cut the 2 wires and add wire to then for distance if important and connect to a switch. Reconect the battery and throw the switch anytime you want a surprise.

gump47371
05-13-2003, 11:13 PM
Most cars have built in safety features that keep the airbag from deploying unless you are going a certain speed (20-30 MPH comes to mind, but not for sure).

Wouldn't you be better off taking it out and getting a few bucks out of it?

Yzzim
05-13-2003, 11:14 PM
push car downhill into tree

Armitage
05-13-2003, 11:16 PM
Jesus, whatever you do, don't try to take it of of the car yourself unless you REALLY know what you're doing. Unless want to be in the running for a Darwin award.

And I really doubt that you can hit the bumper hard enough with a sledge to get it to happen.

Best bet ... get another old beater without an airbag and run into it :D

WinkOsmosis
05-13-2003, 11:16 PM
I don't see any possible entertainment value in setting off an airbag...

Ronstang
05-13-2003, 11:27 PM
Originally posted by: ergeorge
Jesus, whatever you do, don't try to take it of of the car yourself unless you REALLY know what you're doing. Unless want to be in the running for a Darwin award.

And I really doubt that you can hit the bumper hard enough with a sledge to get it to happen.

Removing airbags is simple and as long as you disconnect the battery to prevent accidental firing then you won't have any problems.

Kaervak
05-13-2003, 11:29 PM
Originally posted by: Ronstang
Removing airbags is simple and as long as you disconnect the battery to prevent accidental firing then you won't have any problems.

Oh you're no fun. :P

BCYL
05-13-2003, 11:31 PM
Originally posted by: Ronstang

Originally posted by: ergeorge

Yep, I did it on my car as well... just disconnect the battery and you should be fine...

ReiAyanami
05-13-2003, 11:37 PM
maybe when the airbag explodes, it'll be full of POPCORN!

ala jiffy pop, SNL style